SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It is a strange phrase. But maybe it’s more like a polite ‘don’t be stupid’ message.

The amount of after lockdown parties or massive benders planned for after lockdown, as if when lockdown is lifted the virus disappears.
Not sure what you think of the so called plan.
But it is hardly clear or sensible for that matter.

To suddenly tell worker's not to use public transport...
And why rush some of the youngest school children back. Are they supposed to always stay 2m apart....

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I feel he hasn't really changed anything to be honest.
"Practically unlimited" time outside and the ability to travel between regions is quite a big change, surely? Seems like a more bold outdoor policy than most countries.
There wasn't any clarity about going back to work where social distancing is an issue. Hairdressing being the obvious one. It just has to be assumed that this is still not permitted - it should have been made clear though but instead he just encouraged everyone to go back to work if they cannot work from home.
That's part of retail which won't be re-opening until phase 2 / June 1st. Though I'd imagine part of the reason the public announcement comes before parliament has signed anything into law is to move the discussion forward, set out the broad agenda and end some of the infighting around how significant the changes should be, as some ministers were poles apart. Now they've got a much smaller area to debate within so there'll probably be some special exceptions for retailers.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You don’t want to push all old people online.

My parents are at least halfway smart but their news sources are the newspaper, or aggregated content on Facebook.

No slight on old people as a group. I know you’re of an older vintage yourself. Most are right headed. But too few understand that ‘content’ is not ‘news’.

But many over 50 are in some very narrow lanes already. Narrowing them won’t help.
I can understand that. I have a very caustic view of papers.

TheReligion

Abusive
Too much too soon
Feels very rushed employers will force staff back
Yeah agreed.

So basically socially you have people taking unlimited exercise and are able to drive where they want and use parks and public spaces(with same household members)

On a work side if you can't work from home you go back to work tomorrow and are encouraged not to use public transport (in London and the like people rely on it).

This feels like a disaster and from a policing perspective a total minefield to enforce, especially the unnecessary travel side of it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The government probably wanted to reflect the next phase. If you open the garden centres and relax outdoor exercising and say stay home it doesn't quite fit but obviously it did before under our first 5-6 weeks of lockdown. It's saying go out but be on your guard and you can control it if you keep to the distancing etc.
They should change the phrases and maybe put some simple images of distancing alongside so people get the picture.
There is a massive multi media ad campaign about to be launched which will explain it all.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
In 12 hours time millions of people may or may not need to go into work...

Considering today’s update has been talked about for weeks, how fecking vague can this man be?
And they should not use public transport.
What if they have already been using it.
What do they do tomorrow.

Rooney1987

Public transport is going to be a mess tomorrow isn’t it. I work at a hospital been using Sunday service, doesn’t look like buses services will change from that tomorrow.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
So basically socially you have people taking unlimited exercise and are able to drive where they want and use parks and public spaces(with same household members)
Cant wait. That means the village I live in will now be full of walkers and cyclists while us residents are forced to stay indoors like it was yesterday. Infuriating.

C'est Moi Cantona

Sure he'll put the nuts and bolts on alot of the detail it tomorrow, but the thing I heard that made me sit up was the you can travel to exercise thing, no clarity on distance, so plans will be been made for mass seaside trips right now no doubt, which is maybe ok.

The gaping hole was the lack of any detail on seeing family and friends, this is what most tuned in for.

King Eric 7

"Practically unlimited" time outside and the ability to travel between regions is quite a big change, surely? Seems like a more bold outdoor policy than most countries.

That's part of retail which won't be re-opening until phase 2 / June 1st. Though I'd imagine part of the reason the public announcement comes before parliament has signed anything into law is to move the discussion forward, set out the broad agenda and end some of the infighting around how significant the changes should be, as some ministers were poles apart. Now they've got a much smaller area to debate within so there'll probably be some special exceptions for retailers.
I guess so but my wife is a mobile hairdresser so doesn't work in a salon and I think the speech wasn't clear in this regard. I'm pretty clear that she still shouldn't be back to work yet and she is too but I think that point should have been made more clearly.

arnie_ni

It’s a communications failure.
He said you must keep obeying the rules of social distancing. One of which was no jumping between houses, so thats still in place.

Id hope that will be cleared up in the press release tomorrow he mentioned

stevoc

Which maybe never? So let's stay indoors forever. The media doesn't help reporting the death rate everyday. Around 50 million people die around the world every year from various different causes. If it got reported everyday how many people died of cancer, or car crashes or any other type of disease everyday, everybody would be in hysterics.
So are you suggesting they should just ignore it and pretend we aren't in the middle of a global pandemic?

The Government are releasing those figures daily, so of course the media are going to relay them to the public. Thats obviously why the government are releasing them in the first place.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Everyone's complaining but the message is clear. It's not his fault you don't understand, maybe you should have worked harder at school.

Stactix

Poor messaging, people that can't work from home should now be trying to get back to work. Not sure pubs, Hairdressing, retail etc should be opening.. yet that message is just going to confuse people.

Does this mean those workers now required to go back to work are also key workers and thus their children will need to apply for a place at school? I know there haven't been a tonne of kids at the schools I work at (they've combined 3 schools into one) This could definetly increase the numbers somewhat though.

It's a truly difficult situation made more complicated by those in power.

TheGame

He said you must keep obeying the rules of social distancing. One of which was no jumping between houses, so thats still in place.

Id hope that will be cleared up in the press release tomorrow he mentioned
He should have just said the only change is x and x. I’m afraid the British people are thick and this has been proven over the weekend. Some of them will not read details, have seen this statement and think everything is fine.

Camilo

So are you suggesting they should just ignore it and pretend we aren't in the middle of a global pandemic?

The Government are releasing those figures daily, so of course the media are going to relay them to the public. Thats obviously why the government are releasing them in the first place.
We shouldn't pretend, we should be smarter and act like responsible adults instead of panicking sheep.

If we were halfway useful creatures we could've delt with this at a local level. Instead we pass the buck and whinge.

djembatheking

Nothing changed in Wales , the message is still in Lockdown , stay at home . Police told to fine and turn tourists away . We are basically being told to carry on exercising on the beach(going fishing) and we will see how things pan out in England as restrictions are eased there.

Josep Dowling

Very much a make up your own mind what is acceptable behaviour kind of speech. Employers will want their employees back. People allowed to sit in parks now. This is just a recipe for disaster and another spike in 4 weeks time. They shouldn’t even think about these measures for another month at least. We had nearly 400 deaths just yesterday. The government have been an absolute shambles on this for weeks.

Flying high

So what, are they going to end the furlough scheme?
I assume so. I expect most self employed people will have to start working again now. The scheme for claims against loss of earnings hasn't even properly started yet, but I doubt they will cover any further losses after today, given this announcement.

This isn't leadership, it's passing the buck.

I want to emigrate.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Nothing changed in Wales , the message is still in Lockdown , stay at home . Police told to fine and turn tourists away . We are basically being told to carry on exercising on the beach(going fishing) and we will see how things pan out in England as restrictions are eased there.
People here are still ignoring the advice, roads as busy as ever.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We shouldn't pretend, we should be smarter and act like responsible adults instead of panicking sheep.

If we were halfway useful creatures we could've delt with this at a local level. Instead we pass the buck and whinge.
Quite agree Mr Cummings.

buchansleftleg

So that's everyone driving to the Lake district and swimming in a lake tomorrow then? Unless you work in a factory and you just randomly turn up for a shift on Monday morning because Boris says so?

What an imbecile!

Stactix

I didn't see anything about the region travelling bit?