SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Aspects people aren't talking about enough, and I'm sure these will creep up on people:

1) Increase in fines for not abiding distancing - zero detail on this.
2) Fascinated to hear more about this Covid tracking technology, but also the reaching function/storage capacity - at the very least, who made it.
3) Just how the government are planning on ensuring more/safer PPE on the frontline.
4) Zero comment on testing figures and routine failures.

I'm not as critical as some of the government. I think they responded slow, have messed up on care-homes massively (my nan sadly was a victim of this non-policy), and have been regularly embarrassed on testing/PPE.

But, on the other hand, I think the furlough scheme can only be applauded, yes it had it's troubles/people falling through the gap but there's no way to avoid this. Cancelling exams early was good and took considerable immediate pressure off teachers (my partner is one who had GCSE classes) who frankly have enough on their plate as it is, and the permitting of daily exercise has almost certainly kept mental health/overall wellbeing higher than if we'd all been hulled up for the last 6 weeks. Yes, I'm sure there has been transmission because of this, but I think the abstract negatives of not pursuing this were worth the risk.

stevoc

We shouldn't pretend, we should be smarter and act like responsible adults instead of panicking sheep.

If we were halfway useful creatures we could've delt with this at a local level. Instead we pass the buck and whinge.
It seems that asking people to be responsible is asking way too much of many adults.

When theres a global pandemic thats killing hundreds of thousands of people, with more dying each day. I think people are right to feel some level of fear, that hardly amounts to people being like ''panicking sheep''.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Me too man. I’m massively left wing on almost anything. But I’d censor the shit out of Media if there was a non slippery slope way of doing it.
Where I used to work, there were a group of staunch Tories.
And they always got their 'information' from their beloved Daily Mail.

Talk about being brainwashed.
What am I saying. None of them had a brain to wash...

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
And why rush some of the youngest school children back. Are they supposed to always stay 2m apart....
This is one of the few measures that makes sense. Childcare will be a massive barrier to people returning to work etc and “the science” suggests they aren’t key transmitters of the virus. I was just surprised they were not getting Year 10 students in at the same time.

TheGame

This is one of the few measures that makes sense. Childcare will be a massive barrier to people returning to work etc and “the science” suggests they aren’t key transmitters of the virus. I was just surprised they were not getting Year 10 students in at the same time.
Also the key worker children who currently go to school don’t social distance as it’s impossible.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Also the key worker children who currently go to school don’t social distance as it’s impossible.
That really depends on the school. I know of plenty who have maybe 10 kids max a day so the distancing is easier even with primary. I would expect with a full year group or two in school you’d have to really be stringent especially in corridors and classroom environments

0le

I have to say, I am disappointed we are still not able to visit in a meaningful way, people from other households (I know you technically can if you remain 2m apart but does this does not count as a visit for me). I guess it is understandable, but having to wait at least 3 more weeks or more for this is quite depressing.

TheGame

That really depends on the school. I know of plenty who have maybe 10 kids max a day so the distancing is easier even with primary. I would expect with a full year group or two in school you’d have to really be stringent especially in corridors and classroom environments
I speaking to one of the parents where we live and she said that they don’t at school so her kids are confused when they meet other kids. I’m not sure how you would get young kids to social distance at school in times like playtime etc.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
You don't believe constriction/manufacturing companies halted building/production?
Not many around where I live, no. The only ones that have were not doing very well before all this and used the furlough scheme to get a few weeks cashback on paying employees.

My firm hasn't stopped and everyone I know who works in construction and manufacturing haven't missed a day of work, the government actively didn't want to halt these sectors, the message was clear from the beginning "only go to work if you can't work from home" (or something along them lines I forget :lol:)

Yet we aren't classed as key workers, just key workers to the economy.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
"Practically unlimited" time outside and the ability to travel between regions is quite a big change, surely? Seems like a more bold outdoor policy than most countries.
If the general public were adhering to prior parameters I would agree but this "new" rule is essentially what the majority of the public were doing all this time anyway.

No one was only going outdoors "once" per day, they had confirmed we could drive for exercise a few weeks ago, so I believe this new adjustment is not as material. Sure, if police were out sending people home, arresting people like a proper lockdown then sure, but they haven't been doing it near enough. Rightly or wrongly we've seen Street parties, too many people in parks and public spaces already. So the new rules aren't going to change much.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I have to say, I am disappointed we are still not able to visit in a meaningful way, people from other households (I know you technically can if you remain 2m apart but does this does not count as a visit for me). I guess it is understandable, but having to wait at least 3 more weeks or more for this is quite depressing.
Agreed. Personally I can deal with a lockdown for many months, if I can just hug my family members.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
The term social distancing is one of the most confusing and least understood terms that's emerged during this whole shiteshow. In some countries it is 1 meter, in others it is 2. Some studies recommend 3 meters. Some say the virus can spread through air conditioners, this scientist says it hangs suspended in the air for 30 seconds and that one says for 3 minutes.

Nobody really knows how to practice effective social distancing. Kids don't. They don't even know what a meter is. As for feet, they know they have 2. That old bag standing behind me in the supermarket certainly doesn't understand social distancing. And she represents the majority. God help us all.

saivet

Not many around where I live, no. The only ones that have were not doing very well before all this and used the furlough scheme to get a few weeks cashback on paying employees.

My firm hasn't stopped and everyone I know who works in construction and manufacturing haven't missed a day of work, the government actively didn't want to halt these sectors, the message was clear from the beginning "only go to work if you can't work from home" (or something along them lines I forget :lol:)

I see, well you're right in that I don't think the government wanted so many workers to completely stop working but where I am it's largely grinded to a halt.

In London it has done too. I remember seeing the pictures of pack trains, where a sizable portion of those workers were in construction and after some pressure from the media and others, that grinded to a halt too.

There will be a real issue with those construction workers in London though, as train capacity has dropped significantly due to fewer trains and social distancing on board too, so I'm not really sure how it can be managed effectively there.

Utdstar01

On BBC it states a government official has confirmed that we will be able to see 1 person not living in our household as long as we are 2 metres apart from them.

Classical Mechanic

Most of the major house builders did shutdown but they’ve been back at work for a week or two now. Lots of construction sites did stay open all the way through though. Many tradesmen carried on too, if only part time. Ive noticed lots more have been working round my end in the past few weeks. One roofer has done 3 roofs on my street and the neighbouring one through the lockdown.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I didn't see anything about the region travelling bit?
Might be wrong on that one actually. When he said "you can even...drive to other destinations" after saying you can go out for an unlimited period and for no particular reason, I heard that as essentially removing all movement restrictions.

If the general public were adhering to prior parameters I would agree but this "new" rule is essentially what the majority of the public were doing all this time anyway.

No one was only going outdoors "once" per day, they had confirmed we could drive for exercise a few weeks ago, so I believe this new adjustment is not as material. Sure, if police were out sending people home, arresting people like a proper lockdown then sure, but they haven't been doing it near enough. Rightly or wrongly we've seen Street parties, too many people in parks and public spaces already. So the new rules aren't going to change much.
Are you seriously suggesting that most of the UK were not significantly limiting their movement?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
On BBC it states a government official has confirmed that we will be able to see 1 person not living in our household as long as we are 2 metres apart from them.
Wasn't this always the case if you meet outdoors?

How will they police this in people's houses?

Dave_MUFC

Fortunately the weather's not too great for the next week. Can you imagine this speech coming before the 20+ degrees we had the last few days?!

Unfortunately I believe this is still part of their herd immunity. They don't mind people going out and about as it might create immunity. It also deflects blame away from them, if they say "continue as it has been", and everyone goes out, as they can just say they advised to stay at home but people didn't listen.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I see, well you're right in that I don't think the government wanted so many workers to completely stop working but where I am it's largely grinded to a halt.

In London it has done too. I remember seeing the pictures of pack trains, where a sizable portion of those workers were in construction and after some pressure from the media and others, that grinded to a halt too.

There will be a real issue with those construction workers in London though, as train capacity has dropped significantly due to fewer trains and social distancing on board too, so I'm not really sure how it can be managed effectively there.
Am I right in saying London has slowed the spread ? Maybe this has something to do with it because the north west seems to be riddled which coincides with hardly anywhere shutting down.

There are certain jobs in my place were social distancing is impossible and the company policy of wearing a mask when doing so isn't good enough for my liking (luckily I work alone so it's not too bad)

The term social distancing is one of the most confusing and least understood terms that's emerged during this whole shiteshow. In some countries it is 1 meter, in others it is 2. Some studies recommend 3 meters. Some say the virus can spread through air conditioners, this scientist says it hangs suspended in the air for 30 seconds and that one says for 3 minutes.

Nobody really knows how to practice effective social distancing. Kids don't. They don't even know what a meter is. As for feet, they know they have 2. That old bag standing behind me in the supermarket certainly doesn't understand social distancing. And she represents the majority. God help us all.
I think you can blame the media for this. Government's have been fairly consistent in their messaging on that, as far as i have seen anyway. Media have been wheeling out any rent a quote they can find as long as they studied virology for a single semester 20 years ago, its the media who have been jumping on every preliminary study they can find and treating it as gospel.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Kinda wish it would bucket it down for weeks on end and have all those storms we experienced just before the outbreak to keep some dumb fecks in. Clap for carers is a nice idea but on a warm evening it just turns into hanging out with the neighbours if most have been drinking.

C'est Moi Cantona

You're right the BBC does say that, but Boris didn't this evening, if true it's fairly significant piece of info left out, and to just be casually released in 'the details' tomorrow.

Is it just one person? Or one person at time? ie I can see my mother, my wife hers, my daughter her best mate, (one at a time), etc.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I think you can blame the media for this. Government's have been fairly consistent in their messaging on that, as far as i have seen anyway. Media have been wheeling out any rent a quote they can find as long as they studied virology for a single semester 20 years ago, its the media who have been jumping on every preliminary study they can find and treating it as gospel.
Yeah the media :lol: Haven't you and I danced this dance before?

Point stands = effective social distancing is an oxymoron. Standing 2 or 3 meters away from someone won't really do the job. You could be 10 meters away from the person in an unventilated room and still get it. You could be running behind someone 30 meters in front of you and still catch it. At least, this is how I understand transmission (and yes. I could be wrong).

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yurp. Find it strange people are encouraged to go to work tomorrow but not allowed to see loved ones.

Utdstar01

Fortunately the weather's not too great for the next week. Can you imagine this speech coming before the 20+ degrees we had the last few days?!

Unfortunately I believe this is still part of their herd immunity. They don't mind people going out and about as it might create immunity. It also deflects blame away from them, if they say "continue as it has been", and everyone goes out, as they can just say they advised to stay at home but people didn't listen.
Apparently temperatures are meant to pick up again next weekend which isn't the best timing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are you seriously suggesting that most of the UK were not significantly limiting their movement?
In the context of visiting parks for their "exercise" they weren't really no. Borris hasn't opened retail arms, he hasn't opened bars pubs restaurants cinemas or anything of the sort. He won't until July. So people can't move about much outside of going to parks or down to Morrisons. All across the UK there have been substantial groups taking a piss with that.

Countless bbqs, garden parties, street parties, park gatherings all over. I see it on Instagram, i see it on the news, everywhere. Now our PM allowing unlimited exercise in parks just makes something unofficially happening now an official thing. Yes it increases traffic but it's not as material as suggested.