SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

rotherham_red

Going by what Boris is saying everything should near enough be back to normal by July, seems a bit quick to me.
I expect that a second wave will be in full flow by June, so I would be expecting us to be in this limbo until at least September, I reckon.

Infra-red

France included Britain along with the Schengen countries on its list of nations it will be allowing movement to resume with. This is probably a reciprocation of that. People can't just fly into France from anywhere in the world, if they do they will be quarantined for 2 weeks before being allowed to continue travel.
But you can circumvent the UK quarantine rules by travelling to France from anywhere else in Schengen, before travelling to the UK?

hp88

So Boris has basically confirmed that his lock down relaxation plan is largely dependent on the common sense of the British public, then goes on to say were at a delicate point where one wrong move could be disastrous... Yep, definitely looks to me that the government are looking to pin the second wave on the public as to devoid them of responsibility
You have got to set your own rules going forward, just look after your self and hope everyone else is on the same page.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
But you can circumvent the UK quarantine rules by travelling to France from anywhere else in Schengen, before travelling to the UK?
In theory yes, although I'm not sure what each of the Schengen countries are doing with regards to quarantining incoming passengers. I'd assume they all have something in place which has given France and the UK the confidence to announce this. It would be a very obvious loophole otherwise, and its not like the governments are going to have just missed it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Without commenting on the actual recommendations, Boris is an idiot for doing his TV message to the country last night before telling parliament.

‘Be Alert’ makes sense in the context of Boris parliament speech. The detail is there.

He should have given TV speech tonight.

Last edited:

Infra-red

In theory yes, although I'm not sure what each of the Schengen countries are doing with regards to quarantining incoming passengers. I'd assume they all have something in place which has given France and the UK the confidence to announce this. It would be a very obvious loophole otherwise, and its not like the governments are going to have just missed it.
I wish I shared your faith in the UK government!

Full bodied red

Practically it would be difficult since there is next to no flights in France, we are still in lockdown and the reasons to travel are limited in particular in regions that are still stringently locked like Paris. I don't know about trains and ferries though.

I think there's also the issue of all the transport drivers who go into and out of the UK through the French ports along the Channel.

Can't have all of those doing 14 days quarantine after every trip - supply chains would collapse.

On a side note - first day that we're allowed out, at last, and wouldn't you just know it it's sh*t awful weather this afternoon. Ah well....

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Is Keir Starmer getting sneaky haircuts at home? Or is his wife a very good hairdresser? His hair looks very well groomed which is impossible at that length during this lockdown!!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think there's also the issue of all the transport drivers who go into and out of the UK through the French ports along the Channel.

Can't have all of those doing 14 days quarantine after every trip - supply chains would collapse.

On a side note - first day that we're allowed out, at last, and wouldn't you just know it it's sh*t awful weather this afternoon. Ah well....
That's a good point.

And I was telling myself the same thing, great weather for the first day without lockdown. :lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So Boris has basically confirmed that his lock down relaxation plan is largely dependent on the common sense of the British public, then goes on to say were at a delicate point where one wrong move could be disastrous... Yep, definitely looks to me that the government are looking to pin the second wave on the public as to devoid them of responsibility
To be fair to him, if an unprecedented 7 week lockdown can’t inspire precaution and behaviour change within the population, nothing will.

The UK Government social contract on covid19 is the responsibility to provide medical care to those who require it. Once they can guarantee that, it’s incumbent on citizens to earn their keep.

Remember we are a majority who voted for BrExit to take back control of our future. Time for all those voters to get off the sofa and prove it.

Else what do you suggest?

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Is Keir Starmer getting sneaky haircuts at home? Or is his wife a very good hairdresser? His hair looks very well groomed which is impossible at that length during this lockdown!!
It's possible, I let my girlfriend cut mine for a laugh with a beard trimmer and it actually turned out looking really smart. People have some surprising hidden skills!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's possible, I let my girlfriend cut mine for a laugh with a beard trimmer and it actually turned out looking really smart. People have some surprising hidden skills!
Lucky you: mine is a shaggy and unkempt mess :lol:

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Going through the 50-page document. It reads like a University group project that no one bothered to read over to ensure that it was coherent, no wonder they have spent the day tripping over themselves trying to explain it.

They need to change their timing for future announcements too. They are sending people back to work on Wednesday after an announcement on Sunday evening when they know that the virus symptoms take around 5 days to show.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

redshaw

I'm pretty dubious of that number of deaths. There were 209 announced just in England today. I know there's a weekend backlog today, but to only pick up on 1 further death in Wales, Scotland and NI?
These official UK announcements have a cutoff period and always differ from each separate country announcement added up. England might only have 180 that made it in time.

Last edited:

Our region (Marche) now has the lowest R-number of all regions in Italy, at 0.29. This is a great result, as we were up there with the worst 4 or 5 regions a few weeks ago. We still can't travel freely between regions, and that seems to be working.
It's nice not to be the black sheep of Italy, Europe and the world anymore in Lombardy, we are at 0.57.

My province dropped below 10 new cases for the first time today too.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Why have France been excluded from the passenger quarantine rules for travel in to the UK? Completely stupid and leaves an obvious loophole - get to France from anywhere in the world and then fly to the UK = no need to quarantine when you arrive in the UK.
All France's borders are shut including with other Schengen area countries - exceptions until 15th June are " As for our national borders, the ones we share with our European neighbours, we have decided to extend the decisions set up, at least up to June 15th. Free movement of cross-border workers will be preserved as it has been since the beginning of the health crisis". For the record, France's borders and borders of the Schengen area are closed since March 17th, 2020. Since then, only French travelers, cross-border workers and expats can come back to French soil if holding a special certificate. The end of confinement will change nothing.

Freight/goods deliveries are arriving.

Odd that the UK didn't do the same thing, taking back control and all that. Dress rehearsal for next year for a 14 day queue on the M20.

JPRouve

Scout

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Quick timeline check suggests it does not add up.

There's a really dangerous game being played here

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
So I started today on Covid ER. My hospital decided to go for "full protection for our professionals". I'm sitting here on Ebola level protection, sweating like a pig. Can't piss, eat, drink or smoke, pauses which happen every 4 hours and force us to re-equip to do that stuff.

Seems like a waste of equipment to me, given the epidemiologic scenario here. I'm likely to spend 56 hours here this week (and the next) and will see an average of one or two patients per day.

Also can't use phone or any kind of personal equipment. We don't auscultate patients as we can't access our ears in this equipment.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
In the long term, though, you do wonder if completely eradicating the virus so quickly might not look like the best approach, with hindsight. Time will tell.
It will be the better approach. 100%.

You’re effectively arguing that an out of control random aggressive spread through society, is Possibly better than a controlled one.

JPRouve

Scout
There's a really dangerous game being played here

The optimist in me thinks that it won't hurt China, they are too big, rich and powerful. Also these articles and leaks are way too obvious, the people making them aren't the smartest so we can imagine where it comes from.

DVG7

So I started today on Covid ER. My hospital decided to go for "full protection for our professionals". I'm sitting here on Ebola level protection, sweating like a pig. Can't piss, eat, drink or smoke, pauses which happen every 4 hours and force us to re-equip to do that stuff.

Seems like a waste of equipment to me, given the epidemiologic scenario here. I'm likely to spend 56 hours here this week (and the next) and will see an average of one or two patients per day.

Also can't use phone or any kind of personal equipment. We don't auscultate patients as we can't access our ears in this equipment.
you should take the time between patients to quit smoking

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
That’s your reaction to someone spending 50+ hours a week in full PPE in a Covid 19 ER ward? Go wash your legs.
It's ok, I thought the same :lol: But I wanted to be sure it actually isn't protective against Covid before my next effort.

Not smoking isn't the worst, you get used to it quickly, but this forced fluid management sucks.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Coronavirus vaccine may never be found, Boris Johnson says

It is a possibility, I imagine government's will be making plans for this. It would require changes to our lifestyles in order to live with the virus. If we can build up a herd immunity that would be optimal. Contract tracing will also be necessary and I imagine that apps for this will be required if you have a smartphone. I think shops could also install screens for their cashiers to stand behind or even masks and gloves being compulsory for everyone. Sports would be behind closed doors, perhaps stadiums could open small sections with families allowed to sit next to each other but nobody in the next 2 or 3 seats around them.

When I try to imagine how the world continues without a virus or without immunity then it's hard to see how the economy or life can even get close to how it was last year.

Dante

Average bang
Ok, yeah, fair enough. You probably did. @Regulus Arcturus Black was definitely making very similar points.

Just to repeat myself, I’m not criticising NZ. They’ve done an amazing job. Right now I’d much rather be living there than where I am. I don’t think countries that have been less effective than them at suppressing spread have done so as part of a clever strategy. They’ve just been less good at trying to do what NZ achieved.

In the long term, though, you do wonder if completely eradicating the virus so quickly might not look like the best approach, with hindsight. Time will tell.
I've been on the same page as @Regulus Arcturus Black for most of this thread. But I'm not as much of an expert on Swedish half-term holidays.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
My wife is pregnant and is shielding for 12 weeks. Do I still go to work? From people I’ve asked, I’ve got mixed responses.
My Mrs has been told to take the 12 weeks off of work whilst I'm off due to receiving a letter.

If you do have to work, the living requirements become a joke without even factoring in being pregnant.

Basically have to use separate bathrooms and bedrooms, with the vulnerable person not using communal areas. How on earth that would work with a pregnant woman I've no idea.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It is a possibility, I imagine government's will be making plans for this. It would require changes to our lifestyles in order to live with the virus. Contract tracing will also be necessary and I imagine that apps for this will be required if you have a smartphone. I think shops could also install screens for their cashiers to stand behind or even masks and gloves being compulsory for everyone. Sports would be behind closed doors, perhaps stadiums could open small sections with families allowed to sit next to each other but nobody in the next 2 or 3 seats around them.

When I try to imagine how the world continues without a virus or without immunity then it's hard to see how the economy or life can even get close to how it was last year.
I may be wrong but my minimal knowledge tells me that if we can’t develop a vaccine, it’s highly likely that developing herd immunity will also be impossible for the same reason.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It will be the better approach. 100%.

You’re effectively arguing that an out of control random aggressive spread through society, is Possibly better than a controlled one.
No. What a weird way to interpret what I wrote. I’m arguing that controlled spread might be better than complete eradication. In the very long term.