SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Snafu17

Was looking for a news article about this and the first one I found said:

Are they sure they’ve thought this through?!
No, they didn't. It's entirely likely they'll backtrack if the response to the statement won't be positive. Our current government is generally useless.

But we do admittedly rely on open borders.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No, they didn't. It's entirely likely they'll backtrack if the response to the statement won't be positive. Our current government is generally useless.

But we do admittedly rely on open borders.
I think you’ve done a fantastic job. It just seems insanely counter-productive to react to complete suppression by making it easier for foreigners to bring the virus into your country.

saivet

So they froze prices but not for travel cards or season tickets :lol: So really the only people benefiting were tourists.
The reason why travel cards are frozen is because a travel card entitles you to travel on services TfL does not operate, such as say Thameslink or Southern.

Given those train operating companies are increasing their fares every year, that has to be adjusted and factored into the travel card fare.

I know a lot of people in London who do not have a travel card for a variety of reason. My Mrs works from home twice a week, so pays PAYG rather than buying a travel card. My friends who work in hospitality the same. A lot of peolple can't afford the up front costs of a travel card etc. so hardly something only tourists really benefit from.

cyberman

Ireland

7 cases of the Kawasaki like disease (Called PINS) in children under investigation in Ireland currently

Dan_F

The government has explained that we will officially be out of the epidemic on the first of June. Course a significant portion of the measures will still apply, so the whole epidemic label doesn't mean all that much. They mostly did it so they can avoid paying out the help packages in June.

Congregations of up to 50 people with social distancing will be allowed from Monday onward.
Does that mean there will be crowds when they restart the Prva Liga in a couple weeks :lol:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Return to work by sector, with most vital sectors returning first would have made sense.

I find im more productive working from home but I did that once a week anyway. I guess it depends on job type.
I think it depends on the individual as well as the job. Certains jobs if you have the right mindset you can probably get more done from home. I'd never be as productive as I get distracted by things too easily, but I can do what I can from home. It just might take me a bit longer.

I work for a Council so most jobs do require some sort of presence or face to face working to actually be done properly...and some people (although by no means all) also just don't like to do any work when they are at home it seems. There's been quite a bit of hassle caused over the past week because of stuff that just hasn't been getting done, and not all of it is stuff that couldn't have been done from home by someone.

That's kind of another reason why I think returning people to work by sectors would have been a good idea. Our place needs to be up and running in some kind of normal capacity sooner rather than later really. A lot of people depend on it. Where as there's far less reason to rush back people where the only real motive is to allow their employer to make more profit. Obviously they still need to be allowed to return to a degree of normal as soon as they can, but if people can see there is a plan for that in place I don't think anyone would exactly be up in arms.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ireland

7 cases of the Kawasaki like disease (Called PINS) in children under investigation in Ireland currently
I think it’s called PIMS. Although also heard it called PMIS. Here’s a good/reassuring article about it. Main take home is that it’s very rare, can make kids quite sick but the vast vast majority recover.

Snafu17

I think you’ve done a fantastic job. It just seems insanely counter-productive to react to complete suppression by making it easier for foreigners to bring the virus into your country.
I don't know, everyone entering the country will supposedly be thoroughly checked. I assume the idea is that any potential outbreaks will be easier to control with social distancing measures still in place. Who knows, hopefully this won't be a disaster, because we do genuinely need open borders.

Does that mean there will be crowds when they restart the Prva Liga in a couple weeks :lol:
:lol: If it weren't for the players that could probably apply during the height of the epidemic as well to be honest.

ManUArfa

Why are you ignoring what people tell you?

@Arruda already told you that the prothrombotic and vasculitic complications aren’t seen with flu. He’s a doctor. So understands this shit better than you. So is @Wolverine. So am I. A lot of the potential long term complications are common to all ITU patients and/or seen with other severe viral infections. But not all of them.

Wading into this thread picking arguments with - and repeatedly ignoring explanations provided by - people better qualified than you is not a good look.
You didn't look at my initial question closely enough, or perhaps chose to interpret it to mean something else like "COVID-19 is no worse than a dose of flu". I even emphasised the point I was getting at by stating PANDEMIC flu in my original question.

I would like to thank @Wolverine for graciously providing the correction and clarification below which aligns with what I was getting at if you read my follow ups:

"Certainly I was wrong if I implied that aforementioned complications didn't exist in flu, but what I meant to say as I posted above it its about rates of complications, range of complications, severity of complications"

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I hope the hot weather knocks this thing back, otherwise the US is going to have a rough time of it. This town organized a ‘freedom fest‘ a few weeks from now, complete with dancing, a beer garden, and inflatable bouncing rooms for the kids.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You didn't look at my initial question closely enough, or perhaps chose to interpret it to mean something else like "COVID-19 is no worse than a dose of flu". I even emphasised the point I was getting at by stating PANDEMIC flu in my original question.

I would like to thank @Wolverine for graciously providing the correction and clarification below which aligns with what I was getting at if you read my follow ups:

"Certainly I was wrong if I implied that aforementioned complications didn't exist in flu, but what I meant to say as I posted above it its about rates of complications, range of complications, severity of complications"
I think @Wolverine would agree that he was probably giving you too much benefit of the doubt here. Your point was that the long term consequences we’re seeing after covid-19 are nothing we haven’t seen already after flu. This is not true. It’s a different virus, with a different (and what seems like a more serious) pattern of post-infection complications. Just because there are some similarities doesn’t make the differences any less important.

Dan_F

:lol: If it weren't for the players that could probably apply during the height of the epidemic as well to be honest.
Ha. I’ve been to the likes of Kranj and Velenje for games. Social distancing would not be a problem in the stands. Let alone the sides of the ground with no stands.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think @Wolverine would agree that he was probably giving you too much benefit of the doubt here. Your point was that the long term consequences we’re seeing after covid-19 are nothing we haven’t seen already after flu. This is not true. It’s a different virus, with a different (and what seems like a more serious) pattern of post-infection complications. Just because there are some similarities doesn’t make the differences any less important.
To add to your point, upper respiratory infections have the same range of complications whether we are talking about a cold, the flu, bronchitis, hantavirus, SARS, MERS or Covid-19, the difference is the frequency and how fast patients deteriorates. So giving a google page with a disease and a complication serves no purpose.

ManUArfa

Your point was that the long term consequences we’re seeing after covid-19 are nothing we haven’t seen already after flu. This is not true. It’s a different virus, with a different (and what seems like a more serious) pattern of post-infection complications. Just because there are some similarities doesn’t make the differences any less important.
No this wasn't my point at all, if you track my posts back and read them (although I admit to slacking on the pandemic moniker as I went along).

Interestingly the paper below talks about the 1918 pandemic flu and the 2009/10 pandemic flu in which vasculitis (1918) and PE (2009/10) were both evident. It's quite telling that the 2009/10 variant was a descendant of the 1918 virus and it still showed a significant impact on the young.

I was interested to hear Dr Jennie Harris say in today's briefing that level 1 - i.e. no Coronavirus - is an ambitious target since the only viral disease we have ever eradicated is smallpox.

We could well get another SARS CoV-2 derived pandemic decades ahead of now.....

Link to Critical Care Medicine review paper:

https://journals.lww.com/ccmjournal...ns_of_seasonal_and_pandemic_influenza.11.aspx

cyberman

Doesnt these kind of companies leak this for the share price then run to the hills with money in their pockets?

Edit apparently its being used as a pump and dump. Looks sketchy as shit but could double again by Monday then its abandon ship.
So many biotech companies are ripe for shortening when a cure is found

Last edited:

ManUArfa

So BoJo said go to work but avoid public transport....then

So how is that supposed to work??
:lol: Couldn’t make it up.

I mentioned a few days ago that TFL are gonna want to start getting their money back due to the disgusting salaries they pay to some staff (for example 100k for some drivers) and the fact tube travel took a huge drop over the last three months.

So basically, go to work in central London but don’t use public transport and to make sure you don’t use public transport we’re going to charge you for using your car instead. Walk and cycle instead, even though we know that most of you who work in central London live miles away because you’re not multimillionaires.
Who was responsible for reintroducing the congestion charge? Where is the scrutiny for such a decision?

Seriously, now there's more room for bikes and it'll be safer for walkers.

Last edited:

To be fair they have previous

But again, they weren't doing it 'just to get rid of the black guy' as is being suggested here. They did it because the focus of that image was Sherwood saluting his player before he was sacked. Having another guy next to him detracted from that.

Skills

Snitch
Isn't there going to be natural variation in R anyway?

Say 100 people get "infected" on Day 1, but they're all going to react to the virus differently and can take between 0 - 14 days before they get symptoms and then tested.

Dante

Average bang
5745 people have died in London hospitals from the pandemic. That represents 76% of the total number of deaths from coronavirus (link).

So roughly 7560 people in London have died of Covid-19. Assuming a 0.5% CFR, that implies about 1.5m Londoners have had the disease. Probably more, since London is a relatively young city.

That equates to 16% of the population of London, though I imagine the real number is closer to 20% due to demographics. In any case, the most prolific vectors (those taking regular tube journeys) are probably amongst that 20%, hence why the R number is now relatively low. Or something.

That being said, 0.4 does seem unrealistically optimistic.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
London at 0.4 i find incredibly hard to believe.
They’re using death figures as the starting point to reach that number but they are using only deaths officially tested as Covid-19, so the true R value has to be higher then because we know there are deaths that will be due to the virus but are not recorded as such. Unless I’ve read it wrong.

King Eric 7

Literally nobody could have predicted this.
Not sure why you think this was a given? The R number in the article is not reflective of the current state of affairs i.e. the loosening of the lockdown measures.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not sure why you think this was a given? The R number in the article is not reflective of the current state of affairs i.e. the loosening of the lockdown measures.
It was a given at some point because we’re not managing it well in this country at all. Whether it’s related to the easing of the lockdown or not is irrelevant. The lockdown in the UK has been loose at best and in the last few weeks people have become more lax and we’ve just got even more lax.

Football isn’t proposed to start for another few weeks, by that time it’s going to be a shit show again.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Neighbour across the road has had 3 diff members of her family over to her house tonight, invited them in, kiss at the door, like everything is absolutely normal. People don't give a feck do they? I simply won't acknowledge her existence from now on, I'll look right through her as if she is invisible. This is definitely bringing the selfish cnuts to the surface.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
A stat I read today, in Portugal 25% of the jobs paying less than 650 euros/month lost the job or part of the income. Above 2500 euros/month only 6% were affected.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Neighbour across the road has had 3 diff members of her family over to her house tonight, invited them in, kiss at the door, like everything is absolutely normal. People don't give a feck do they? I simply won't acknowledge her existence from now on, I'll look right through her as if she is invisible. This is definitely bringing the selfish cnuts to the surface.
I've heard her neighbour from across the road is a right nosey neighbour

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
speak English man!
They took a small group of people with fairly mild Covid (who you would be most worried about not ending up fully immune) and studied their immune response in great detail. They all had a really strong immune response in exactly the way you would want to see from someone likely to get proper long-term immunity after infection.

Plus, the bits of the virus that this immune response is geared toward are the same bits that are a number of vaccines are already being developed to target.

They also noticed that the way they became immune makes it a little less likely that people will get something called “Antibody Dependent Enhancement” which is a nasty, scary prospect in which second infections (or infections after vaccination) feck you up more than getting infected for the first time.

And finally, they found that there are similarities (cross-reactivity) to the partial immunity most of us have after previous exposure to the Coronavirus that causes the common cold. This last bit is exciting for two reasons. It might make vaccines against sars-cov2 more effective than they would be otherwise and it could even mean that a huge chunk of the general population are already slightly immune.

Hope that all makes sense. I’ve had a few beers and some weed infused chocolate. It’s Friday night. Forgive me.