SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To be fair they have previous

Yeah definitely racism...except for leaving the other black guy in.

Engineering racism where there isn't any, does no favour for actually scandalous stuff.
I vaguely recall some advert a while back that caused a scandal, as they actually had trimmed out all the non white faces, and not for any legit reason either.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A stat I read today, in Portugal 25% of the jobs paying less than 650 euros/month lost the job or part of the income. Above 2500 euros/month only 6% were affected.
I’d say it’s the same everywhere. Hospitality and tourism take the biggest hit. That’s not stuff you can do at home via Zoom and isn’t well paid.

King Eric 7

It was a given at some point because we’re not managing it well in this country at all. Whether it’s related to the easing of the lockdown or not is irrelevant. The lockdown in the UK has been loose at best and in the last few weeks people have become more lax and we’ve just got even more lax.

Football isn’t proposed to start for another few weeks, by that time it’s going to be a shit show again.
Ahh Ok I personally think we've done OK during the lockdown and I don't think any more draconian measures would have been as sustainable. It's a shit show from the Tories in terms of management of the situation of course and it seems that the R0 has increased due to the care home fiasco rather than through community spread.

massi83

5745 people have died in London hospitals from the pandemic. That represents 76% of the total number of deaths from coronavirus (link).

So roughly 7560 people in London have died of Covid-19. Assuming a 0.5% CFR, that implies about 1.5m Londoners have had the disease. Probably more, since London is a relatively young city.

That equates to 16% of the population of London, though I imagine the real number is closer to 20% due to demographics. In any case, the most prolific vectors (those taking regular tube journeys) are probably amongst that 20%, hence why the R number is now relatively low. Or something.

That being said, 0.4 does seem unrealistically optimistic.
After antibody results from Spain and previously NY, IFR of 0.5% is highly optimistic, and 1.0% is more likely.

JMack1234

This weekend is going to interesting.

We're going to have nice weather. We've got the freedom to go out whenever we want. We've got the freedom to go whether we want (In England). We can meet up with someone not in our household. You can sit on the beach and have a few tins and no one can stop you. In fact you could probably get away with quite a lot because the Police have all but given up policing the lockdown.

So I think people will rush out this weekend. Twitter will melt with indignation.

Buckle up.

Dante

Average bang

We're going to have nice weather. We've got the freedom to go out whenever we want. We've got the freedom to go whether we want (In England). We can meet up with someone not in our household. You can sit on the beach and have a few tins and no one can stop you. In fact you could probably get away with quite a lot because the Police have all but given up policing the lockdown.

So I think people will rush out this weekend. Twitter will melt with indignation.

Buckle up.
This weekend will be bad. But next weekend is a bank holiday and the temps look set to get into the mid-20s. That's the one to look out for.

JMack1234

It's Michael Jackson album from the eighties. Spawned such hits as Dirty Diana and Man In The Mirror.
Great album.

We'll see what happens. I'm very lucky in that I've got a large garden, so I'll spend this weekend chilling there and not around a bunch of people on a beach without access to a public lavatory. However, I refuse to judge those less fortunate than me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Buckle up.
This weekend will be bad. But next weekend is a bank holiday and the temps look set to get into the mid-20s. That's the one to look out for.
I would be very surprised if outdoor mingling, in hot sunny weather, causes any problems. The big worry would be if there are crowded trains to and from the seaside, or crowded pubs and clubs when it gets dark. Don’t think any of that is allowed though?

JMack1234

I would be very surprised if outdoor mingling, in hot sunny weather, causes any problems. The big worry would be if there are crowded trains to and from the seaside, or crowded pubs and clubs when it gets dark. Don’t think any of that is allowed though?
Clubs and Pubs are still shut.

I guess trains could get crowded but I don't know what rules they've put in.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A stat I read today, in Portugal 25% of the jobs paying less than 650 euros/month lost the job or part of the income. Above 2500 euros/month only 6% were affected.
Plus in terms of the virus itself, the ONS data released a few days ago suggested that men working in the "lowest skilled" occupations had the highest rate of death. As with many things in life, this crisis will hit those least well off the hardest.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
They took a small group of people with fairly mild Covid (who you would be most worried about not ending up fully immune) and studied their immune response in great detail. They all had a really strong immune response in exactly the way you would want to see from someone likely to get proper long-term immunity after infection.

Plus, the bits of the virus that this immune response is geared toward are the same bits that are a number of vaccines are already being developed to target.

They also noticed that the way they became immune makes it a little less likely that people will get something called “Antibody Dependent Enhancement” which is a nasty, scary prospect in which second infections (or infections after vaccination) feck you up more than getting infected for the first time.

And finally, they found that there are similarities (cross-reactivity) to the partial immunity most of us have after previous exposure to the Coronavirus that causes the common cold. This last bit is exciting for two reasons. It might make vaccines against sars-cov2 more effective than they would be otherwise and it could even mean that a huge chunk of the general population are already slightly immune.

Hope that all makes sense. I’ve had a few beers and some weed infused chocolate. It’s Friday night. Forgive me.
LMA.O I’m sorry I don’t read Klingon. Speak so I can understand please.

(That was perfect thank you)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Clubs and Pubs are still shut.

I guess trains could get crowded but I don't know what rules they've put in.
Yeah we all need a mature adult conversation about that.

Dante

Average bang
It's not allowed, but it's something that already happened during the previous mini heatwave we had:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...s/bar-denies-breaking-lockdown-rules-18224286

Even in this relatively mild weather, I'm seeing plenty of outdoor pub seating in Manchester being used as makeshift gathering spots. The police in the city have been relatively hands off (necessarily so, because they can't play double standards when there are so many homeless people about). And if the last bank holiday is anything to go by, there'll be lots of people traveling to beauty spots out of town as well.

Everyone is going to have the same idea and they'll all believe they're the exception to the rule until they're not.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Buckle up.
Oh, I’m already resigned to us being fecked. I’ve got daily e-mails from local public sector leaders chirping about how things are looking up and encouraging us to make use of our greater freedoms.

In other news, here’s a good article on how the overly centralised London-based response to the coronavirus is fecking the rest of the country: https://www.theguardian.com/society...id-19-recovery-throttle-villages-city-centres

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
https://www.societi.org.uk/kawasaki-disease-and-covid-19/

More good news!

Based on all available information made available so far we note:

The cases being referred to have been reported in approximately 20 children in the UK (out of 11.5 million U.K. children) – of whom half have tested *negative* for Covid-19 according to their doctors.

There is no current evidence of any increased incidence or greater susceptibility to Covid-19 infection for children who had Kawasaki Disease in the past.

All of the c. 20 cases are new, acute illness in children.

Fewer cases of Kawasaki Disease than would be normally expected at this time of year are currently being seen – not more.

Kawasaki Disease is a seasonal inflammatory disorder peaking in the winter and spring, and whilst no infection has ever been proven to be the sole trigger, the scientific community believe that any one of many infections may trigger Kawasaki Disease in susceptible children. For the majority of cases, Kawasaki Disease occurs without ever identifying any infectious cause. We are aware of recent delayed presentations of Kawasaki Disease because of initial incorrect diagnoses of Covid-19, resulting in adverse coronary outcomes due to delayed institution of treatment.
Not technically “news” as it’s two weeks old but news to me and puts the panic about vasculitic illnesses in kids who might/might not have had covid into perspective.

0le

Yeah I’m sure there are more and other reasons but I think the salaries they pay their staff would contribute to their problems because they are definitely too high. Even nine drivers earning 100k is ridiculous.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/transport-for-london-staff-share-30m-payoffs-in-a-year-despite-mayors-pledge-a4160076.html?amp

So they froze prices but not for travel cards or season tickets :lol: So really the only people benefiting were tourists.
A lot of low paid workers will be using PAYG. They also introduced an initiative to allow multiple bus journeys within an hour (so you pay once to use as many busses in an hour).

BIGbadBOO4

Maybe I am going slightly mad, but the more I think about the UK's government's handling so far I think they going for herd immunity. It is the only rational thing, as I cannot believe they can be so incompetent.

Ludens the Red

The reason why travel cards are frozen is because a travel card entitles you to travel on services TfL does not operate, such as say Thameslink or Southern.

Given those train operating companies are increasing their fares every year, that has to be adjusted and factored into the travel card fare.

I know a lot of people in London who do not have a travel card for a variety of reason. My Mrs works from home twice a week, so pays PAYG rather than buying a travel card. My friends who work in hospitality the same. A lot of peolple can't afford the up front costs of a travel card etc. so hardly something only tourists really benefit from.
A lot of low paid workers will be using PAYG. They also introduced an initiative to allow multiple bus journeys within an hour (so you pay once to use as many busses in an hour).
Ah right, didn’t know that. I haven’t paid for travel for about four years so not entirely clued up on what people do. Back in the day it was always more cost effective to buy a travel card as the journeys back and forth added up but I guess if they’ve been raising travel cards and freezing standard journeys that does make sense.

peridigm

I haven't been following the world numbers of infections for a few weeks. I only pay attention to my local health dept map. Holy shit. What has happened in the UK and Russia? Did Russia not test and all of a sudden test 250k people? Why is China so low? My guess is they said feck it, why continue testing, we're all going to get it anyway.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No I wasn't implying they were the same at all. The flu can result in ventilation and its associated complications; as well as multi organ failure. Reply by all means but factual responses are preferred to your rhetoric and question twisting.
Flu can far more occasionally have some of the same issues but
Best Headline Ever but is behind a paywall for me.
Damn - it was paywall free last week.

In the article he recounted current vaccine efforts in various nations and said one or more are already in simultaneous human trials and mass production with the aim of starting to distribute in September. He thought a vaccine was almost a certainty without saying the vaccine in question was a certainty. He is great. A Nobel prize winning virologist who thinks neo-liberals are dickheads who usually ignore the science. The not giving a shit bit is because last week he searched for the bottle shop opening times or at least he meant to. Instead he tweeted to his numerous followers asking them if they knew the opening times :)

And once he realised he didn't delete it but just joined on the piss take that ensued.

Revan

Assumptionman
So, one of the two guys who is gonna lead the job for the vaccine, was actually on the board of Moderna Inc until yesterday. Now, Moderna from all accounts seem to be ahead of the pack when it comes to the development of the vaccine (having done the first testing in humans two months ago, when most other companies were developing the vaccine), but I am not sure if this is healthy, and how this is not a conflict of interest. It is extremely likely that Moderna is gonna get hundreds of millions for the vaccine, and one of the main guys who is gonna decide it was working for them until yesterday.

In some ways, it is good that they guy (Dr. Slaoui) has the necessary background (instead of being just another bureaucrat) but at the same time, this is a conflict of interest.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Coronavirus: 14,000 lockdown-breach fines imposed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52674192

Why haven't the Tories figured out that strong lockdown measure coupled with high fines for breaches could be a great way of raising money to offset their stimulus costs? That seems like a perfect Tory play in this situation.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The Italy situation is being complicated by the Presidents of 3 northern regions, who are pressing the Government to allow free travel between regions. At the moment, the Government's plan is that will happen from June 3rd, which is the day after a public holiday here. From next Monday we will be allowed to travel freely (i.e., without having to complete a form and give a valid reason) within our own region, which is a big change. Regions are pretty large areas, it gives you a lot of choice.

It's a bit ironic that regions that are worst-hit (and Lombardy continues to have about half of all the daily Italian Covid deaths) are the ones pushing for this full opening-up, when in effect they should be maintaining a stricter lockdown.

Smores

I missed yesterdays briefing and I'm glad. It's one thing to gaslight the country over general events but to do so over thousands of elderly deaths is beyond the pale.

As a Tory when even Andrew Neil is gunning for you then your jobs gone.

ManUArfa

They took a small group of people with fairly mild Covid (who you would be most worried about not ending up fully immune) and studied their immune response in great detail. They all had a really strong immune response in exactly the way you would want to see from someone likely to get proper long-term immunity after infection.

Plus, the bits of the virus that this immune response is geared toward are the same bits that are a number of vaccines are already being developed to target.

They also noticed that the way they became immune makes it a little less likely that people will get something called “Antibody Dependent Enhancement” which is a nasty, scary prospect in which second infections (or infections after vaccination) feck you up more than getting infected for the first time.

And finally, they found that there are similarities (cross-reactivity) to the partial immunity most of us have after previous exposure to the Coronavirus that causes the common cold. This last bit is exciting for two reasons. It might make vaccines against sars-cov2 more effective than they would be otherwise and it could even mean that a huge chunk of the general population are already slightly immune.

Hope that all makes sense. I’ve had a few beers and some weed infused chocolate. It’s Friday night. Forgive me.
This is incredibly promising.