SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
You're really missing the point, massively. He's not just one random person.
I know he isn't a random person, but what is him resigning actually going to do? Magically make the virus disappear ?

A massive portion of the country have ignored the entire rules at some point during this, visiting family in their gardens, nipping out twice a day for exercise instead of once, visiting someone's house, not washing their hands as soon as they get home.

Humans are going to human, it's that simple.

Half the rules were feckin ridiculous to start with anyway, if I wanted to drive 400 miles without leaving my car apart from to go into another property I can live at, who is that actually affecting?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Hi

Interesting take.

You don't see how people who haven't seen friends and family for over 2 months might be outraged that someone essentially in government broke the rules and is getting off with less than a slap on the wrist?
Fine him £60 and be done with it. Pretty simple, that's all that everyone else was getting anyway. If he wanted to take a risk that was upto him.

People want to be outraged at anything these days, this is just one of those things. It's easier to be outraged and miserable than happy. Next time you're waking down the street look at people's faces, like bulldogs licking piss off a nettle.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I know he isn't a random person, but what is him resigning actually going to do? Magically make the virus disappear ?
His role as an chief advisor to the PM means he has to lead by example when the Government make their advice to the country. If he breaks the rules without any consequence it's basically telling the UK population that they can do what they like. If he faced a consequence for it, then it shows you can't do this shit. And no a £60 fine doesn't do it. He's clearly illustrating he doesn't believe in the government advice and when you work directly for the PM and just show you don't give two fecks, there's only one action that makes sense - the sack.

Plus keeping Cummings far away from the Government is always a good thing. Him resigning means we aren't going to get bullshit advice to the PM.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
His role as an chief advisor to the PM means he has to lead by example when the Government make their advice to the country. If he breaks the rules without any consequence it's basically telling the UK population that they can do what they like. If he faced a consequence for it, then it shows you can't do this shit. And no a £60 fine doesn't do it. He's clearly illustrating he doesn't believe in the government advice and when you work directly for the PM and just show you don't give two fecks, there's only one action that makes sense - the sack.

Plus keeping Cummings far away from the Government is always a good thing. Him resigning means we aren't going to get bullshit advice to the PM.
Ok you've convinced me, let's hang the bastard. Might aswell get our next Guy Fawkes and blow up the houses of Parliament too.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The 260 mile car journey might have broken the rules, but that particular rule never made complete sense in the first place.

As long as you're isolated in your vehicle the whole way, a long car drive is no more of a issue than a short one. And if you're doing it in the service of caring for your relatives, I have no problem with it either way.

Obviously, it's a bit of a hypocritical thing to do for an MP. But I can't get upset about it, regardless of whether it was a politician or an average joe. It just seems like one of those things where common sense should prevail. Though if he gets sacked, I guess it's deserved to some extent.
I wish I had your magic car that doesn’t require those suffering with COVID-19 to get out and refuel in a public space.

I also wish I had your magic car that didn’t subject those in the vehicle to the viral load of those other passengers currently infectious.

I also wish I had your magic car that isn’t any more likely to have an accident and require the intervention and contact of other people, especially the NHS, when driven on the road.

The rule made complete sense.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

A massive portion of the country have ignored the entire rules at some point during this, visiting family in their gardens, nipping out twice a day for exercise instead of once, visiting someone's house, not washing their hands as soon as they get home.

Half the rules were feckin ridiculous to start with anyway, if I wanted to drive 400 miles without leaving my car apart from to go into another property I can live at, who is that actually affecting?
It would magically make a lot of woeful advice directly into the PM's ear disappear. He clearly doesn't give a shit about the very policy he's charged with implementing (unelected and all as he is).

I haven't disregarded lockdown advice. Speak for yourself.

Flying high

I'm not convinced you've thought this through.

Ludens the Red

Hi

Interesting take.

You don't see how people who haven't seen friends and family for over 2 months might be outraged that someone essentially in government broke the rules and is getting off with less than a slap on the wrist?
I’ve not seen my friends and family for two months and I have to say I am not in the slightest bit outraged. Yeah I mean it’s a little cheeky and hypocritical but it’s not as if he was going to a Dominatrix themed sex party.
People have been breaking rules non stop left right and centre and getting away with it. I would be outraged if an MP didn’t break the rules, such is the history of their questionable behaviour.
I’m kinda with @One Night Only on this one. I was reading through comments thinking “oh shit what’s this guy done” and then I went to google and read that he’s driven his wife and kid to some house in Durham. I mean come on, let’s raise the outrage bar a little higher before we turn into a forum of Pierce Morgan’s.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
You need to step back and review your posts on this topic in comparison to everyone elses.
No, my posts are fine, everyone just wants to be part of a mob and burn the witches. All feel over powerful because you're agreeing with each other that this dude is basically Hitler reincarnated. Like it's the biggest and most important thing going on at the minute is him driving somewhere.

Nevermind the virus that is still kicking about. This thread needs splitting into 2, one for actual virus news and new guideline, and another for the political bullshit which serves no purpose in here.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Wow. That’s a good find. Viral evolution is a bit of a blind spot for me. If it really is evolving to a less virulent form on anything like a widespread basis then this is fantastic news.
I don't know much about it either, but always assumed that from an evolutionary point of view, for a virus like this, becoming less virulent would be the most normal outcome. How fast it would happen is what I wanted to know, or estimates about it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

A massive portion also haven't. They've made huge sacrifices and stuck to government advice. Not visited their loved ones. Not gone to funerals of people they were close to. Not been with their 13 year old child as he died and was buried. Because they were sticking to the same rules that arguably the most powerful person in government bar the PM seems to feel don't apply to him. The same rules that the Tory MPs now defending Cummings repeatedly stated must be obeyed, to the point where Matt Hancock was happily backing police action against Neil Ferguson for a less egregious offense.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I’ve not seen my friends and family for two months and I have to say I am not in the slightest bit outraged. Yeah I mean it’s a little cheeky and hypocritical but it’s not as if he was going to a Dominatrix themed sex party.
People have been breaking rules non stop left right and centre and getting away with it. I would be outraged if an MP didn’t break the rules, such is the history of their questionable behaviour.
I’m kinda with @One Night Only on this one. I was reading through comments thinking “oh shit what’s this guy done” and then I went to google and read that he’s driven his wife and kid to some house in Durham. I mean come on, let’s raise the outrage bar a little higher before we turn into a forum of Pierce Morgan’s.
Well all I can I say is fair play and good for you. I personally don't agree with having one rule for him simply for being who he is, and one rule for me simply for being who I am. I don't agree with cabinet ministers to MPs coming out to defend him like clockwork, when he quite clearly broke the rules their party has set out. Couldn't care less if it was a nobody, I'd call them a bloody idiot and be done with it. But why exactly should I be treated differently to Dominic Cummings in regards to lockdown rules?
No, my posts are fine, everyone just wants to be part of a mob and burn the witches. All feel over powerful because you're agreeing with each other that this dude is basically Hitler reincarnated. Like it's the biggest and most important thing going on at the minute is him driving somewhere.

Nevermind the virus that is still kicking about. This thread needs splitting into 2, one for actual virus news and new guideline, and another for the political bullshit which serves no purpose in here.
No one's compared him to Hitler. No one's said he deserved to be burned at the stake.

He's simply in position where a misjudgment like this will lead to calls of resignation which is a completely normal reaction.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
FYI: A YouGov poll found that 68% of voters think Cummings broke the lockdown, while just 18% disagreed. By a margin of 52% to 28% they think he should resign.

It is totally expected for people to get political about somebody who spins Prime Ministerial political opinion for a living and is a key figure in the most political subject of the day. If people cant get political about this, when exactly should people get political?

I guess you think they are all wrong while it's you who is correct? Your stance is absurd and dare I say it, deeply political.

PS: you also never answered my first reply to you.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Well all I can I say is fair play and good for you. I personally don't agree with having one rule for him simply for being who he is, and one rule for me simply for being who I am. I don't agree with cabinet ministers to MPs coming out to defend him like clockwork, when he quite clearly broke the rules their party has set out. Couldn't care less if it was a nobody, I'd call them a bloody idiot and be done with it. But why exactly should I be treated differently to Dominic Cummings in regards to lockdown rules?

No one's compared him to Hitler. No one's said he deserved to be burned at the stake.

He's simply in position where a misjudgment like this will lead to calls of resignation which is a completely normal reaction.
No, people are using this as an excuse for him to resign, because they initially didn't like the advice he was giving out. This is just an easy "look he did this wrong so now he should resign because of it" ...

It's like purposely engineering an excuse to fire someone just because you didn't like them, not actually having a real reason for firing them. "Well Dave, we noticed you clocked in 12 seconds late, that's the first time in 5 years so we are going to have to let you go".

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Its not just him driving somewhere is it?

Ultimately he deserves the criticism. He was on the Sage committee so literally helped create the advice for the country.

If he was symptomatic he shouldn’t be out and about anyway he should be isolating as per his guidelines.

It’s pretty obvious you shouldn’t be driving cross country as of course the idea is to keep viruses in one place and not contaminate it across the country. Yes I get that you’re essentially in a box but you get out to wee and put fuel in the car, and the point is to keep the virus restricted to pockets and not spread it cross country.

Not to mention passing the potentially contaminated kids to other members of their family.

Also the fact that they have now outright lied about it and now are calling it out as fake news basically, if it’s not that big a deal then why not just take it on the chin? Apologise and move on? The fact they have lied yet again just amplifies it more.

Do you understand how upsetting it is, my partner didn’t get to go to her grandads funeral last month, it is so frustrating because you can understand if we are all in this together and we are all sacrificing but we’re not, one rule for the public but another for him.

It undermines his own government so much, what’s the average joe going to think now? Is he allowed to do what the hell he wants.

I understand why it sounds like hyperbole but ultimately working at that high of a level you have a degree of responsibility that he clearly does not respect.

And yes I am sure you have no political agenda either.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
FYI: A YouGov poll found that 68% of voters think Cummings broke the lockdown, while just 18% disagreed. By a margin of 52% to 28% they think he should resign.

It is totally expected for people to get political about somebody who spins Prime Ministerial political opinion for a living and is a key figure in the most political subject of the day. If people cant get political about this, when exactly should people get political?

I guess you think they are all wrong while it's you who is correct? Your stance is absurd and dare I say it, deeply political.
I couldn't give 2 shits about politics tbh :lol: I find all politicians and politics the same, liars, up their own arses, and out for themselves. All corrupt and sneaky buggers.

These polls mean nothing :lol: they're engineered to get the results the news / paper / journalist wants. They ask a demographic where they know they'll get their percentages.

I don't think they're all wrong, I think the way they're all going on like this is the biggest crime in history is wrong.

Like I have already said, focussing on this one stupid trivial thing, over all the other issues is completely mental.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Come on it's only Cummings, it's only dead people. Grow up put your big boy pants on, clap for the fairies and suck down everything your masters give you.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Its not just him driving somewhere is it?

Ultimately he deserves the criticism. He was on the Sage committee so literally helped create the advice for the country.

If he was symptomatic he shouldn’t be out and about anyway he should be isolating as per his guidelines.

It’s pretty obvious you shouldn’t be driving cross country as of course the idea is to keep viruses in one place and not contaminate it across the country. Yes I get that you’re essentially in a box but you get out to wee and put fuel in the car, and the point is to keep the virus restricted to pockets and not spread it cross country.

Not to mention passing the potentially contaminated kids to other members of their family.

Also the fact that they have now outright lied about it and now are calling it out as fake news basically, if it’s not that big a deal then why not just take it on the chin? Apologise and move on? The fact they have lied yet again just amplifies it more.

Do you understand how upsetting it is, my partner didn’t get to go to her grandads funeral last month, it is so frustrating because you can understand if we are all in this together and we are all sacrificing but we’re not, one rule for the public but another for him.

It undermines his own government so much, what’s the average joe going to think now? Is he allowed to do what the hell he wants.

I understand why it sounds like hyperbole but ultimately working at that high of a level you have a degree of responsibility that he clearly does not respect.

And yes I am sure you have no political agenda either.
I get your points. Cheers for actually putting it across in a decent way instead of kicking off like a child.

Average Joe's were always thinking the lockdown was only half a lockdown anyway, there was plenty of people nipping to b and m for curtains, or nipping to a shop for one stick of butter.

Plenty companies didn't heed the no work if not needed policy.

People were always going to break lockdown rules because of the shabby way it was brought about, the unclear instructions (well for some people) and the lack of real enforcement.

If someone wants to spread it between their family their entitled to do so imo, if they got so I'll they couldn't look after their kids then what were they to do? I actually understand his reasonings for doing it. I have to drop my kids off with their grandparents because both of us in my house are key workers. Now you tell me how that is fair on me when everyone else got to sit about and do nothing while being paid 80%, while my kids had to goto their grandparents and school? Risking exposure there?

One rule for one and another for others that was clear from the off, but I understood it. I understood why it was done that way.

He was unlucky with his family being miles and miles away, if my parents were 260 miles away if have probably had to make a round trip and drop the kids off there for weeks, now if I done that, would have I been in the wrong? Or was that the right thing to do?

No political agenda, I have as much interest in politics as I do the in the 4th division of the Iranian league.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Dominic Cummings is a very wealthy man, married to the daughter of an aristocrat, in situ as one of the most powerful people in government, with aides and family already living near him in London. The idea that his kids wouldn't have been looked after without him making the trek is in itself stupid.

Also:

Also also, that wasn't the only trip he made.

It's bizarre to me that anyone would complain about the UK's media placing government under any sort of scrutiny when they've been so utterly insipid throughout most of the crisis.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Dominic Cummings is a very wealthy man, married to the daughter of an aristocrat, in situ as one of the most powerful people in government, with aides and family already living near him in London. The idea that his kids wouldn't have been looked after without him making the trek is in itself stupid.

Also:

Also also, that wasn't the only trip he made.

It's bizarre to me that anyone would complain about the UK's media placing government under any sort of scrutiny when they've been so utterly insipid throughout most of the crisis.
Regarding that tweet, what she doesn't get is that the family in Durham may have been better prepared/suited to look after the children if the parents became seriously ill / hospitalised while the children didn't get the virus? Those in Durham may not have had underlying health conditions themselves while the family closer to London may have.

A lot of ifs and buts, but that would make sense to me.

That may not be the case though, but who knows, can't say he is in the wrong without knowing all the facts.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I get your points. Cheers for actually putting it across in a decent way instead of kicking off like a child.

Average Joe's were always thinking the lockdown was only half a lockdown anyway, there was plenty of people nipping to b and m for curtains, or nipping to a shop for one stick of butter.

Plenty companies didn't heed the no work if not needed policy.

People were always going to break lockdown rules because of the shabby way it was brought about, the unclear instructions (well for some people) and the lack of real enforcement.

If someone wants to spread it between their family their entitled to do so imo, if they got so I'll they couldn't look after their kids then what were they to do? I actually understand his reasonings for doing it. I have to drop my kids off with their grandparents because both of us in my house are key workers. Now you tell me how that is fair on me when everyone else got to sit about and do nothing while being paid 80%, while my kids had to goto their grandparents and school? Risking exposure there?

One rule for one and another for others that was clear from the off, but I understood it. I understood why it was done that way.

He was unlucky with his family being miles and miles away, if my parents were 260 miles away if have probably had to make a round trip and drop the kids off there for weeks, now if I done that, would have I been in the wrong? Or was that the right thing to do?

No political agenda, I have as much interest in politics as I do the in the 4th division of the Iranian league.
Thanks for the first comment! I genuinely appreciate that.

I do get your points to be fair, and I completely agree about the unclear instructions part, the messaging has been awful.

I do however find it hard to believe there was absolutely no where in London he coI’ll take his kids, if he had no family or friends then there must be internal procedures for these things.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I couldn't give 2 shits about politics tbh :lol: I find all politicians and politics the same, liars, up their own arses, and out for themselves. All corrupt and sneaky buggers.
These polls mean nothing :lol: they're engineered to get the results the news / paper / journalist wants. They ask a demographic where they know they'll get their percentages.
I don't think they're all wrong, I think the way they're all going on like this is the biggest crime in history is wrong.
Like I have already said, focussing on this one stupid trivial thing, over all the other issues is completely mental.
The 'news' on Cummings is barely 24 hours old. The media has spent its time solely on covid19 since crisis started and we are all well aware of every issue and mistake this Government has made.

Not not sure what 'issues' we are missing out on, by having media report the Cummings story; which is the hypocrisy of a very very senior member of the Government flouting rules he helped set.

As for the rest of your post, its all subjective opinion, which merits perhaps one post to express the opinion, but you are now polluting the thread, which I'm sure was your intention all along. I'd suggest a mod step in to stop this hijacking thread attempt.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Fine him £60 and be done with it. Pretty simple, that's all that everyone else was getting anyway. If he wanted to take a risk that was upto him.

People want to be outraged at anything these days, this is just one of those things. It's easier to be outraged and miserable than happy. Next time you're waking down the street look at people's faces, like bulldogs licking piss off a nettle.
Yep. Fine and resign is appropriate.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Which would be a private matter (even if the redtops would feast on it) wheras Cummins broke a law he was front and centre in imposing on others. Such arrogance and hypocricy demands he be sacked or resigns. Except the Tories stopped even pretending they had a moral or ethical centre a long time ago. So he won't be sacked.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Read entire tweet thread: 48 Tory PMs so far tweeted in support of Cummings.

All kudos to him: most influential person in the UK right now. Wonder how his critics will force Boris into firing him? They probably hoping it just blows over, Trump style.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I mean, if we locked down in February sometime and we had basically no deaths and no cases, people would have managed to moan we locked down when we didn't need to and the government trapped us in our own homes or some bullshit.

If the government were slow to act or whatever, is now really the time to bang on about it? Wouldn't the time for a lot of this bitching about stuff be better off once everything is over, a vaccine is found, and we've got it under total control?
I find this approach absolutely extraordinary. Sure the government delayed and killed thousands, sure the government’s advisor broke the laws blatantly while everyone else was told to obey then, but stop complaining.

Thousands of people extra died and the response is “ugh- people are just always complaining.”

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
There's a lot of people here going to be depressed when the virus eventually disappears. You'll have nothing to moan, whinge and doom monger about. Putting the shits up people seems to be exciting to a lot of people, without even having a clue about anything, just what they've read. Heads full of cartoons fantasizing about a walking dead type scenario ffs.

I'll have a little moan about everyone saying "this is why we needed to fund the NHS more previously" ... No, we needed to stop people taking the piss out the NHS, drug users, obesity, them people who goto the docs for every single cough, parents taking kids for a sneeze. More funding would have been great, but a massive factor is abuse of the system. People getting free boob jobs cos they're depressed and stuff man. That's wrong.
“I hate politics - they’re all knobs. BTW - I think the government HAVENT underfunded the NHS- it’s just people use it too much

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This thread is a prime example of selfishness in this country, loads of you asking about going out 3 or 4 times a day when we have been told not to, wanting haircuts, wanting this and wanting that.

Just follow instructions for once in your fecking life.
Don’t know why the average person going out is massively selfish... but Cummings is fine and everyone is just moaning!