SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The bit I love about this is

"These mutations seem primarily induced by the human immune system via host RNA editing, rather than being signatures of adaption to the novel human host"

Which sounds like, while we're passing it on, our immune system is at least kneecapping the bastard.
Like a Peter Stringer tap tackle.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He’s also been a proponent of keeping the lockdown in place and hard though. If he leaves you could well see a pro-economy government emerge that takes a lot more aggressive stance with things reopening.
Assuming the other members were anti-lockdown in the first place. Wasn't he the one running with herd immunity nonsense in the first place?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Just seen on sky news website the virus is disappearing so fast, there's only a 50% chance of the oxford vaccine working, as if the virus dies out before we get the vaccine we can't work on the vaccine any longer? As happened with SARS?

If true, why is it disappearing suddenly?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Just seen on sky news website the virus is disappearing so fast, there's only a 50% chance of the oxford vaccine working, as if the virus dies out before we get the vaccine we can't work on the vaccine any longer? As happened with SARS?

If true, why is it disappearing suddenly?
Because the book said it would

Drifter

American
Dominic Cummings heads to Downing Street after reports of a second trip to County Durham

Journalists asking about not following rules while being bunched together, shouting.

redshaw

We should work on a vaccine best we can for when it comes back in 10 years. Might just buy some extra bogroll in 2029 and avoid the rush.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Love people who share that while ignoring that the prediction just above it never happened.
It's also really vague and not entirely accurate anyway. It's like Mystic Meg on the National Lottery program before the numbers were announced and she'd say that the winner would be "a man or woman with teeth who may have possibly known some petrolhead called Dave or Andy or John at some point in their life." And all the astrology twats would say "omg this is soooo accurate to what I'm like" forgetting the big flaw in their belief being that they didn't win the jackpot in the first place.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That is soooo accurate to what I'm like.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's also really vague and not entirely accurate anyway. It's like Mystic Meg on the National Lottery program before the numbers were announced and she'd say that the winner would be "a man or woman with teeth who may have possibly known some petrolhead called Dave or Andy or John at some point in their life." And all the astrology twats would say "omg this is soooo accurate to what I'm like" forgetting the big flaw in their belief being that they didn't win the jackpot in the first place.
The year, the details about the it attacking the lungs ... very specific. I don't believe in that kind of stuff, but it's weird. Anyway, Sylvia Browne was a performer like every celebrity "psychic", she used to read people.

edit - and even a stopped clock is right twice a day. :D

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The year, the details about the it attacking the lungs ... very specific. I don't believe in that kind of stuff, but it's weird. Anyway, Sylvia Browne was a performer like every celebrity "psychic", she used to read people.

edit - and even a stopped clock is right twice a day. :D
I'm not sure how specific it is - I mean, she did say "around" 2020.

Classical Mechanic

It’s not a bold prediction. A pandemic has been listed as the number one threat to nation states by governments for years. If you’re going to pull a prediction about the future out of your arse then it’s a good place to start.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It’s not a bold prediction. A pandemic has been listed as the number one threat to nation states by governments for years. If you’re going to pull a prediction about the future out of your arse then it’s a good place to start.
It's a pity that governments aren't the number one threats to pandemics...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Unbelievable. If people of UK don’t react to this decision from Boris, just admire that we are all sheep and this country is a de facto dictatorship.

Last edited:

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Unbelievable. If people of UK don’t react to this decision from Boris, just admire we are all sheep and this country is a de facto dictatorship.
I wonder if this is going to spur people on now to just go "f**k it, if he can visit family citing childcare reasons, so can we!".
It's shocking to me how Boris is defending this cretin at every opportunity... does he truly fear for his position if he goes?

Judas

Open to offers
Impressively swift and a big old feck you to everyone, can't say I'm surprised. Utterly sick of this shite, next week is going to be mad with people doing whatever they want.

Flying high

I wonder if this is going to spur people on now to just go "f**k it, if he can visit family citing childcare reasons, so can we!".
It's shocking to me how Boris is defending this cretin at every opportunity... does he truly fear for his position if he goes?
Probably. He would need Cummings to go willingly.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Looks like he's not backing down on schools either, despite Unions, Teachers, Councils and the BMA saying it's not safe.
I don't think many parents will be sending their children back though, if they have the means to keep them at home anyway.

Can't say this is going to be a popular decision by him here. Going to provoke more backlash from the relevent opposition.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Looks like he's not backing down on schools either, despite Unions, Teachers, Councils and the BMA saying it's not safe.
I don't think many parents will be sending their children back though, if they have the means to keep them at home anyway.
It will be the poorest who have to send their kids to school because they need to go to work. It's alright for middle class families who can have a parent stay at home or those with money who can have someone babysit their kids all day.

At least some kids can get extra attention in smaller classes.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Cannot believe this press conference. Most down I’ve ever felt about our political leadership along with the final weeks of the Brexit campaign and aftermath. He literally just gave him all the clear, told parents they were idiots for not doing the same for their kids, and then threw kids and schools under the bus to distract from it all.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
It will be the poorest who have to send their kids to school because they need to go to work. It's alright for middle class families who can have a parent stay at home or those with money who can have someone babysit their kids all day.

I agree, i know a lot of schools will be operating on a voluntary basis, as i've got friends who have had letters saying that it's their choice whether they send their children back, and if they choose not too, there will be no fines or judgement, and they'll continue to be supported at home. Still, it's as you say, the government will make it very difficult for the poorer parents to keep theri children off school.

Smores

You cannot divorce discussion regarding Covid 19 from political discourse.
The story isn't even a political one, it's nothing to do with party and everything to do with the sacrifices the country has made under Covid.

Not that it stops Tory voters feel politically attacked but that says more about them than the debate.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

It actually Is suggested from the data that the opposite is true.

PepsiCola

The story isn't even a political one, it's nothing to do with party and everything to do with the sacrifices the country has made under Covid.

Not that it stops Tory voters feel politically attacked but that says more about them than the debate.
Well put.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Can't say this is going to be a popular decision by him here. Going to provoke more backlash from the relevent opposition.
Yeah but it'll make a decent distraction. I was surprised he didn't turn around, pull his kecks down, spread his cheeks and let out a massive shart because that would have got people talking.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Yeah but it'll make a decent distraction. I was surprised he didn't turn around, pull his kecks down, spread his cheeks and let out a massive shart because that would have got people talking.
Thats exactly what i've just said to my friend. Boris has played a blinder here. He knows this Cummings business won't go away, so he's steamrolling ahead with his plans to open schools, knowing the Unions etc won't like it and will oppose it at every opportunity. He knows this will make headlines when the Unions/BMA/Teachers/Parents strongly oppose it and voice their concerns, conveniently taking the focus away from the whole Cummings issue.

Boris knows his plans of opening schools on the 1st of June won't happen, he's not stupid, but it's the perfect distraction for atleast another week or so.

Ludens the Red

The way you’ve phrased this doesn’t tell the whole story.

Its a staggered opening, it’s not saying everyone must return or is even expecting to return to school by the 1st of June. It’s year 1 and 6. Some parents NEED schools to be open so they can send their kids back in.

Also, SOME unions, teachers and councils oppose it not ALL. And ultimately there is always going to be opposition to it. A person from Wirral council literally said it’s still a “life and death “ situation in regards to sending kids back. If there are people in these positions still having these sort of feelings then I don’t see how you can ever convince them it’ll be safe until there’s a vaccine.

If you actually read through the whole conversation, the plans, the process, it’s actually reasonable and breaks it down properly. The idea that this has come about as a way of a smokescreen to take attention off the Cummings stuff is just daft.