SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
:lol:
If the government were slow to act or whatever, is now really the time to bang on about it? Wouldn't the time for a lot of this bitching about stuff be better off once everything is over, a vaccine is found, and we've got it under total control?
Also in the same fecking thread One Night Only said:
People getting free boob jobs cos they're depressed and stuff man. That's wrong.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's stupid anyway.

Min wage wages goes up... Price of everything goes up so it makes no difference anyway. Just closes the gap to those who are paid higher. I also don't understand how it is a "living" wage. People live off way less than minimum wage now, its basically luxury wage, people think they're entitled to internet, sky sports, massive TV's and big cars.
I hate talking aboht politics... but don’t poor people wanting more money take the piss
I think it's all hilarious.

Doesn't matter who's in charge, country has been a joke for a long time.

Might aswell go down memorably and hilariously.

I don't think he will do too bad a job anyway, atleast he has the balls to change things up.
This is a quote about voting for Boris so we can go down hilariously. BTW - don’t talk about it when he takes us down hilariously.
The more I see of this girl the more she just seems like a shit over the top actress.

May have some points, but it's cringey watching her.
Can’t complain about thousands of extra deaths or the government ifnoring their own rules... but tell ya what isn’t Grera Thunberg annoying!?

Apparently cancer deaths are at an all time low, as are heart attacks.

Someone in canteen was just telling me. Think they said it was on Facebook like so you know. Apparently a lass from a morgue? Is saying all deaths where she works are covid 19, not one other type of death recorded at all.
Presented without comment.
It's pretty fair tbh, the general public are being total asshats and not following simple guidelines. Government chose to treat us like adults, now it's time they step up and treat us like the children we are.

Alot of people on furlough are using this like a massive holiday.
General Public = Total Asshats. There seems to be a lot of disdain for the general public.
Restrictions should totally be lifted for key workers first, so I can go play golf.

I did joke about it at first, but it's a possible step in the right direction tbh.
“People will moan about everything... BTW - I’m annoyed I can’t play golf at the moment.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I have a feeling the devil is in the details...

There is a chance, albeit a small chance, that the secret in understanding this virus lies in big data. If some independent company interviewed every person who tested positive and asked them enough questions, we would've had a vast amount of data - most of it seemingly pointless data.

But, if we fed it into a computer to find patterns in the answers we might've discovered something useful in this fight.

It is assumed that genes play a deciding factor in the severity of the disease, but I still have a feeling there's something else. Or maybe a combination of things.

Who knows? It could be as simple as: "How many cups of coffee did you drink on the day you first started showing symptoms?"

Revan

Assumptionman
I have a feeling the devil is in the details...

There is a chance, albeit a small chance, that the secret in understanding this virus lies in big data. If some independent company interviewed every person who tested positive and asked them enough questions, we would've had a vast amount of data - most of it seemingly pointless data.

But, if we fed it into a computer to find patterns in the answers we might've discovered something useful in this fight.

It is assumed that genes play a deciding factor in the severity of the disease, but I still have a feeling there's something else. Or maybe a combination of things.

Who knows? It could be as simple as: "How many cups of coffee did you drink on the day you first started showing symptoms?"
Unfortunately, I don’t think that data mining and machine learning really work on this way.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Lovely work @Wumminator. Had already planned to add him to the ignore list by the time I caught up with the thread once again, but I enjoyed the skewering conclusion.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Lovely work @Wumminator. Had already planned to add him to the ignore list by the time I caught up with the thread once again, but I enjoyed the skewering conclusion.
He is probably a sound enough lad. But there is a group of people who seem to think they’re apolitical when actually taking a stance on everything. I hope that by pointing out these posts one night only can see that

A) he is constantly pushing down on the most vulnerable and needy
B) he sticks up for the ones who put them there.
That is not a natural state to be in. We all laughed when Starkie made his affluent and likeminded people post, but the post I quoted above about it being hilarious is Boris takes us down is just as mental. We now see what it looks like and it’s tens of thousands extra people dead.

Revan

Assumptionman
What do you mean? Are you addressing the points I made or correcting my terminology?
I don’t think that asking a random set of questions and then crunching the data in the computer is how these things work.

Smores

As there seems to a bunch constantly citing the economy without ever offering any evidence in the slightest (because only others opinions need evidence).

It's only modelling but i think it's what most have been assuming, the economic cost of allowing R above 1 is worse than all but the hardest lockdown.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’ve not seen my friends and family for two months and I have to say I am not in the slightest bit outraged. Yeah I mean it’s a little cheeky and hypocritical but it’s not as if he was going to a Dominatrix themed sex party.
People have been breaking rules non stop left right and centre and getting away with it. I would be outraged if an MP didn’t break the rules, such is the history of their questionable behaviour.
I’m kinda with @One Night Only on this one. I was reading through comments thinking “oh shit what’s this guy done” and then I went to google and read that he’s driven his wife and kid to some house in Durham. I mean come on, let’s raise the outrage bar a little higher before we turn into a forum of Pierce Morgan’s.
I’m kind of with you, in that the way this has become something that absolutely EVERYONE on twitter has an opinion on is a bit mental. And I’m also generally in favour of people using common sense to apply a bit of wriggle room with these rules.

It has to be said, though, moving to a completely different part of the country - 200 miles away - when you know you have coronavirus is off the charts irresponsible. This is so much worse than what Prof Ferguson did. He could have been patient zero in a whole new cluster, in a region that would otherwise have been unaffected. That sort of selfishness is next level shithousery.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I’m kind of with you, in that the way this has become something that absolutely EVERYONE on twitter has an opinion on is a bit mental. And I’m also generally in favour of people using common sense to apply a bit of wriggle room with these rules.

It has to be said, though, moving to a completely different part of the country - 200 miles away - when you know you have coronavirus is off the charts irresponsible. This is so much worse than what Prof Ferguson did. He could have been patient zero in a whole new cluster, in a region that would otherwise have been unaffected. That sort of selfishness is next level shithousery.
There was a huge rise in cases in Durham shortly after he visited, while symptomatic.

Hammerfell

“I don’t care about politics but” is absolutely code for “I’m a Tory but don’t want to admit it”.

lynchie

My issue is less with him being irresponsible. It's that the entire cabinet has now shredded their credibility to defend him. Why now would anyone listen to anything they say about controlling the virus, when they've said that the slightest excuse can be used to completely ignore the rules. If, god forbid, this thing takes off again during the winter, and Boris combs his hair and puts on his serious face for another national announcement, half the country will ignore him because he and his cabinet have said actually, it's fine to break the rules if you want to.

This is why it was right that Ferguson went, despite not really creating any sort of risk. You can't undermine the simple instructions, or the public will ignore them.

lynchie

Wow. That’s a good find. Viral evolution is a bit of a blind spot for me. If it really is evolving to a less virulent form on anything like a widespread basis then this is fantastic news.
The bit I love about this is

"These mutations seem primarily induced by the human immune system via host RNA editing, rather than being signatures of adaption to the novel human host"

Which sounds like, while we're passing it on, our immune system is at least kneecapping the bastard.

finneh

It wouldn't be authoritarianism if the people at the top didn't actively flout the strict rules they impose on the masses.

Would be hilarious to see Cummings sacked for it though.

Pagh Wraith

First German state has announced the end of all coronavirus measures on Jun 6. This means rules on minimum distances, obligatory face masks and all contact restrictions will be abolished. They are justifiying it with the low number of currently infected people (~250). Local authorities can put their own regulations in place if necessary.

Classical Mechanic

Cummings’s story is nonsense. My guess is that he wanted to be out of London in case he needed hospital treatment given the fears at that time that services could be overwhelmed in the capital.

If I were Boris I’d keep hold of him through this. I’d have him pencilled in as the guy to take the fall for the governments failings during the crisis.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Cummings’s story is nonsense. My guess is that he wanted to be out of London in case he needed hospital treatment given the fears at that time that services could be overwhelmed in the capital.

If I were Boris I’d keep hold of him through this. I’d have him pencilled in as the guy to take the fall for the governments failings during the crisis.
That doesn't account for him basically commuting between the two places though, as well as attending parties.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

So you’re saying that he breached lockdown for his own gain. So the story isn’t nonsense then?

Wolverine

My brother-in-law lives in Birmingham, works as a GP. As soon as he had symptoms he let us know, he didn't have many family members close by. He has two kids, we supported his family in his own home with groceries, ensuring kids were ok. It was a bitch of a drive but done just the once to ensure more than a fornightly worth of supply of essentials was done.

The whole premise of Cummings argument is wellbeing of a 4 year old. We know a lot of people can become unwell with covid but plenty also do not. And the senior-most government advisor could I'm sure have a way to source things for them.

The basic premise of what's being used to defend him is utter nonsense and intelligence-insulting. And they acting that it isn't which is even more grating.

Classical Mechanic

That doesn't account for him basically commuting between the two places though, as well as attending parties.
I mean for the initial journey when he was ill.

So you’re saying that he breached lockdown for his own gain. So the story isn’t nonsense then?
I said his excuse with the kid is nonsense. Travelling in the car would increase the risk of transmission to his kid and in turn his parents greatly. There had to be another reason why he wanted to be up there.

cyberman

I said his excuse with the kid is nonsense. Travelling in the car would increase the risk of transmission to his kid and in turn his parents greatly. There had to be another reason why he wanted to be up there.
He didnt want to be treated in a London hospital. People were expecting it to be hell in those a few months ago

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Maybe we should take this to the Westminster thread?

Wolverine

An annoying part of twitter outrages for banal shit is that when there is genuinely something we view it from the lens of it being hyperbolic due to it being talked about on twitter.
I genuinely think this goes beyond twitter but how it'll translate in terms of BoJo's government losing popularity and in terms of future electability along with the rest of their mess ups if at all I'm not sure

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Aaah fair enough!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I hate talking aboht politics... but don’t poor people wanting more money take the piss

This is a quote about voting for Boris so we can go down hilariously. BTW - don’t talk about it when he takes us down hilariously.

Can’t complain about thousands of extra deaths or the government ifnoring their own rules... but tell ya what isn’t Grera Thunberg annoying!?

General Public = Total Asshats. There seems to be a lot of disdain for the general public.

“People will moan about everything... BTW - I’m annoyed I can’t play golf at the moment.
:lol: nice work

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Fantastic work.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

"Those 20 days of government delay are the single most important reason why the UK has the second highest number of deaths from cornavirus in the world".

This piece shouldn't be lost amidst the Cummings story.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Is Cummings the one that supposedly made an Ivan Draco style “if they did they die” Comment when talking about OAP’s with Coronavirus?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Is Cummings the one that supposedly made an Ivan Draco style “if they did they die” Comment when talking about OAP’s with Coronavirus?
He’s also been a proponent of keeping the lockdown in place and hard though. If he leaves you could well see a pro-economy government emerge that takes a lot more aggressive stance with things reopening.