SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This will kill hundreds of thousands at a minimum. It's not the same. Wait til your parents are at risk.
I fully expect at this stage that at least one of my remaining grandparents will not live to see their first great grandchild who we’re expecting next month. Let’s not start a need to all declare our elderly interests.

Smores

Italy and China aren't the UK though, the UK doesn't have the older population Italy does nor do many old people live with families.

The UK will shutdown when it is the right time for them according to their model.

It's sound science, but every fecker on the internet knows better of course.
Have you seen the science to make such an assertion? I don't think you have because it's not widely available

Revan

Assumptionman
Absolutely.

But the UK model is showing that it's too late to contain now. Now the UK wants to do everything to instead ensure the NHS can help as many as possible over the coming months.
And that's where the logic defies their "science". Italy's system is already overwhelmed with just 20k cases. How on Earth a system is gonna be able to cope with a few million sick at the same time (which is inevitably going to happen if Wuhan-like containment does not happen)?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No mate, I'm not worked up, just called you out for acting the twat.
To be fair, you've been in here all day acting as if the scientist advising the UK and Sweden are on one side and everyone opposing them are just lay people who know nothing. You accusing people of acting like twats is a pot - kettle situation.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Can someone threadband @Revan, he is purposely trying to demoralize everyone. :lol:

sebsheep

There is always disagreement in science. If another plan had been produced, another group of scientists would have disagreed. The only time you get agreement in science is after a long period of time for something which is very well understood after years (perhaps decades) of research.
Most people recognise that, there seems to be a few posters on here acting like only the UK has science behind them though.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Not only cases like that, but there’s a lot of administration, teachers, and support staff that are going to be older and/or possessing a condition that causes them to be immunosuppressed.
Absolutely correct - something that literally nobody is talking about.

As if teachers don't have co-morbidities, or family members at home with them.

It's crazy how little this has been mentioned in the UK debacle.

Wayne Rooney wrote that he felt like footballers were being treated as Corona-virus Guinea Pigs, I know a few teachers who feel exactly that way.

Currently Nike and Apple employees are being better protected by their companies than U.K teachers are by their Government...

But as I've said before - Healthcare and Education are the regular kicking posts for Tory politics. I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I was tempted to ask that question a few days ago when basically all sports league stopped. We are going to go absolutely mental, we don't have our sport fix and are still roaming the forum trying to interact with each others. :lol:
Get on the rugby league JP, it’s still on in the U.K. :lol: I know you’re a union man, but beggars can’t be choosers

And that's where the logic defies their "science". Italy's system is already overwhelmed with just 20k cases. How on Earth a system is gonna be able to cope with a few million sick at the same time (which is inevitably going to happen if Wuhan-like containment does not happen)?
Once again @Revan, Italy has a much higher population of risk zone citizens. And a much higher population of elderly who live with their families.

It has to be different for each country surely?

It's also been mentioned about a thousand times here and by the UK, that the UK will shutdown, when the model hits the numbers where they see the NHS cannot cope. Now the model is not based on actual reports, but a modelled figure of the infected.

Drawfull

I fully expect at this stage that at least one of my remaining grandparents will not live to see their first great grandchild who we’re expecting next month. Let’s not start a need to all declare our elderly interests.
It’s not about declaring a need. If I lose my mum and dad (by implication, that isn’t some thing you’re worried about personally) then I’ll be pretty fed up about it. If I had grandparents to lose, that would be much less shittier on the shitty scale. So if you don’t mind, I’ll continue to be a bit fecking pissed off about the decision they made a fortnight ago and their current situation. Sorry for rant.

justboy68

In regards to events like concerts still going on in the UK, I see the country in a similar stage to China over the Spring festival. Everyone knew about the virus and was concerned but were still in the 'show must go on' stage. It won't last much longer. But after that China did do a good job in containing it, at least for now. So I'd still like to believe it's possible.

sebsheep

Join the fun why don’t you. Yeah don’t worry about my grandparents, staff I work with daily, the clients I treat at my clinic. Yeah just make assumption. Not worth the infraction points calling you out for what you are but it’s obvious.
You're the one assuming that your actions don't have potential consequences for others. Parts of your post were daft, you can't really complain if people laugh about them.
You won't get an infraction for calling me amazing, so don't worry about doing it. ;)

Revan

Assumptionman
Once again Revan, Italy has a much higher population of risk zone citizens. And a much higher population of elderly who live with their families.

It has to be different for each country surely?
Yes, and Italy is fecked * . So why UK is trying to reach the Italy's point to do the inevitable lockdown? Can anyone give a single reason why a lockdown a week from now is better than a lockdown today?

Also, there is data that is saying that many young and healthy people need ICU. Not a problem when there are a few hundred (or even thousands of them). A giant problem when you have hundreds of thousands of them.

* I don't mean fecked 2k dead people. I mean fecked fecked.

Classical Mechanic

On experts, this is really disappointing from The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...st-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19

A world leading epidemiologist from the US telling us off when it’s pretty clear he’s only looked at media headlines as to what’s going on. He tells us that we should be doing exactly what we have been doing and what we will be doing as per the government plan.

The UK should not be trying to create herd immunity, that will take care of itself. Policy should be directed at slowing the outbreak to a (more) manageable rate. What this looks like is strong social distancing. Anyone who can work from home, should. People who do not yet work from home should be encouraged to do so. Employers should guarantee sick pay, including for contacts of known cases, and do everything they can to discourage the practice of “presenteeism”. You should not shake hands. Not with anyone. You should wash your hands for 20 seconds several times a day and whenever you enter your home (or someone else’s home). Call a halt to large gatherings. Educate people about masks and how they should be reserved for the medical professionals who need them. All this and more should have started weeks ago.

Deciding whether to close schools is hard; they do so much more than just education. But this is a pandemic, and so you should expect they will be shut sooner or later. In Hong Kong, they have been shut for weeks. If you hear any talking head on TV explain that kids don’t get sick, remember that doesn’t mean kids cannot be infected and transmit. It’s probably a good idea to hold off on visits to Nana and Grandpa

Only anecdotally but I did some of the coronavirus policy at work a couple of weeks ago. You couldn’t get hold of gels etc for love nor money from big national suppliers. We’ve kept people off that had any cold symptoms.

The idea that we’re all living as normal is completely false.

Yes, and Italy is fecked * . So why UK is trying to reach the Italy's point to do the inevitable lockdown? Can anyone give a single reason why a lockdown a week from now is better than a lockdown today?
The reason they are giving is that a lockdown now, if the model is correct, will have little effect on the spread. It's everywhere.

Lockdown now and there's no going back, and the strain the lockdown will put on public services will feck everything, including the NHS if it goes on too long. The idea behind the science is that the UK, start the lockdown BEFORE we hit Italy's point.

That could be in 2 days, 5 days. But the UK will lockdown. Doing it now when the NHS are holding up fine and can absolutely help with a lot more cases, will cause more problems than it solves. There is sound logic behind it.

LordNinio

But the exact same thing surely happens with the regular flu. So I reckon covid being 20x deadlier or whatever the numbers say is about right. Both true figures will be lower than confirmed figures.

This virus is a frightening combination of dangerous and contagious. If it was any more deadly it would probably be easier to contain as people couldn't pass it so easily, like the original SARS. This one spreads so easily and is still deadly enough to kill unthinkable numbers of people if left unchecked. Scary.
I think generally undiagnosed cases of the normal flu are factored into the flu figure, through years of modelling etc. They can't do that with Covid-19 yet as it's an unknown quantity

sebsheep

Absolutely no-one is saying that.

No-one.
Look at your posts, you're not saying it but you've been acting like it all day. You keep telling people that science is backing up the UK and Swedish governments decisions and ignoring the scientists on the other side. It's one of the reasons people are still quoting what other scientists are saying to you.

Revan

Assumptionman
On experts, this is really disappointing from The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...st-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19

A world leading epidemiologist from the US telling us off when it’s pretty clear he’s only looked at media headlines as to what’s going on. He tells us that we should be doing exactly what we have been doing and what we will be doing as per the government plan.

The UK should not be trying to create herd immunity, that will take care of itself. Policy should be directed at slowing the outbreak to a (more) manageable rate. What this looks like is strong social distancing. Anyone who can work from home, should. People who do not yet work from home should be encouraged to do so. Employers should guarantee sick pay, including for contacts of known cases, and do everything they can to discourage the practice of “presenteeism”. You should not shake hands. Not with anyone. You should wash your hands for 20 seconds several times a day and whenever you enter your home (or someone else’s home). Call a halt to large gatherings. Educate people about masks and how they should be reserved for the medical professionals who need them. All this and more should have started weeks ago.

Deciding whether to close schools is hard; they do so much more than just education. But this is a pandemic, and so you should expect they will be shut sooner or later. In Hong Kong, they have been shut for weeks. If you hear any talking head on TV explain that kids don’t get sick, remember that doesn’t mean kids cannot be infected and transmit. It’s probably a good idea to hold off on visits to Nana and Grandpa

Only anecdotally but I did some of the coronavirus policy at work a couple of weeks ago. You couldn’t get hold of gels etc for love nor money from big national suppliers. We’ve kept people off that had any cold symptoms.

The idea that we’re all living as normal is completely false.
Italy did all of this several week ago. Try to work from home, wash your hands, so social distancing. It didn't work. It was already too spread for it to work.

That will be needed long term but a total lockdown for a few months is inevitable. If we can set back the number of infected to only a few hundred cases, then social distancing and washing your hands might work. But not with tens of thousands of infected people.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Don’t even know where to start with this. I’ve been around 800+ children and adults for the past month, plenty who’ve come back from holidays in Italy and spain. Likelihood is a lot of people have had it, in the school and in the community. How you then trace that back to one person, to suit your agenda is upto you
The good old ‘if they don’t prove it’s me I’m not bothered’ attitude. You sound like a lovely human.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The worst thing about this so far is the sheer amount of fecking imbeciles who think they know better than the UK scientific experts.

They are basing their response on sound science. Here in Sweden we are following quite a similar strategy. Both countries will shut down everything when the model hits that stage. Now if you don't like their science you better be a fecking expert yourself, else shut the feck up, you aren't helping one bit.

Repeating bullshit that they are going for herd immunity and risking lives despite multiple denials of this and confirmation that herd immunity is seen as an inevitable by-product only.

Put simply, there are different strategies at play here, by all countries, all of them are aimed at reducing the death rate. Some countries (Denmark, USA) have made decisions against the advice of their scientists and by all means, slate those to your hearts content if you have sound reason for it. But a layman on redcafe, reddit or fecking Facebook slating the UK's scientific response is idiocy of the highest order. You don't know better, I don't know better.
The government is exactly going for people like you when they have altered their strategy to spam terms like "scientific advise", "herd immunity" and started presenting blank non-sense graphs in the media instead of relating to us a sound, cogent explanation of their strategy. I'm not a virologist, but I studied mathematics and know for a fact that any first year who has taken any courses in dynamical systems or statistical analysis would tell you that their strategy doesn't make any mathematical sense.

You don't have to take my word for it, some of the greatest mathematicians of our time have come out and pointed out that the strategy doesn't check out mathematically. Go and find their explanations.

Now, no one is saying the government is out to get us. There's no conspiracy here. But governments have never been known to take scientific advise without diluting it with politics. The UK government has previously fired scientists like David Nutt for giving scientific advise that deviated from government policy. Many others resigned for the same or similar reasons (e.g. Sir Simon Fraser Campbell). The government's own published principles of scientific advise amount to saying as much:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...principles-of-scientific-advice-to-government
  • government and its scientific advisers should not act to undermine mutual trust

justboy68

I think generally undiagnosed cases of the normal flu are factored into the flu figure, through years of modelling etc. They can't do that with Covid-19 yet as it's an unknown quantity
Yeah that makes sense. I hadn't clocked that the flu figure was based on advanced estimates rather than exact confirmations . Prepare for the worst and hope for the best I'd say. Plan as if its going to be 8-10x as deadly at least and hope it comes out lower.

Look at your posts, you're not saying it but you've been acting like it all day. You keep telling people that science is backing up the UK and Swedish governments decisions and ignoring the scientists on the other side. It's one of the reasons people are still quoting what other scientists are saying to you.
I've actually said the exact opposite, a handful of times.

Each country must follow the scientific advice for their country, I'm saying that if the Sweden and the UK respond differently, because they are different countries to Italy and China and their scientific models advise that; then they should be allowed to do so without the hatred being thrown at the likes of the UK government currently.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
You're the one assuming that your actions don't have potential consequences for others. Parts of your post were daft, you can't really complain if people laugh about them.
You won't get an infraction for calling me amazing, so don't worry about doing it. ;)
Fair enough. I agree it was badly written and I’ve apologised for that. I’ve just eaten and had a brew I’ll laugh at that one and give you the benefit

The government is exactly going for people like you when they have altered their strategy to spam terms like "scientific advise", "herd immunity" and started presenting blank non-sense graphs in the media instead of relating to us a sound, cogent explanation of their strategy. I'm not a virologist, but I studied mathematics and know for a fact that any first year who has taken any courses in dynamical systems or statistical analysis would tell you that their strategy doesn't make any mathematical sense.
Of course it makes mathematical sense. If the virus is everywhere, as expected, you let the model reach a critical number before shutting down your essential services and possibly taking away lots of staff from the NHS and other essentials because they have to take care of their children for months.

Whilst the NHS can cope, you allow it to cope.

Unless people think we can completely nip this in the bud now. Fair enough, but I think that's extremely naive.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah that makes sense. I hadn't clocked that the flu figure was based on advanced estimates rather than exact confirmations . Prepare for the worst and hope for the best I'd say. Plan as if its going to be 8-10x as deadly at least and hope it comes out lower.
That's false. Someone like @Arruda and @Pogue Mahone can confirm but CFR(case fatality rate) is strictly defined as the fatality/ number of diagnosed cases.