SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Plans to reduce homelessness have been drastically brought forward. Amazingly it can be done with a little effort

The NHS has probably been saved as well. Nobody will now vote for anyone who has plans to scale it down.

Also, once this is over, people will appreciate normal life and freedom much more.
It will be like new year's resolutions, people will care for a brief period of time and then return to their previous habits when things are somewhat normalised again.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I assume when Boris meant that we are going to have to accept that a lot of people will die from this, he was also entirely accepting that that might well include himself.

GeorgieBoy

People seriously taking issue with the fact that Johnson was able to get tested so quickly?!

Nogbadthebad

Remember:

Boris, 3rd March:

“I’m shaking hands continuously. I was at a hospital the other night where I think there were actually a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you’ll be pleased to know. I continue to shake hands."

Of course, he was lying then, the hospital he attended had no coronavirus patients at all. But still, listen to the experts.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
People seriously taking issue with the fact that Johnson was able to get tested so quickly?!
Too right, he's doing feck all to help with Covid, just the usual bluff, bluster and lies while his mates plot a bold eugenically cleansed future. The NHS workers who are putting themselves directly in the line of fire to help people should always be first in the queue for the tests.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
These articles, models and opinions popping up suggesting that it might have been here much longer than we thought and far more widespread than estimated seem a bit strange. Were there a bunch of unexplained deaths in europe over the last few months which no one was focused on? or is what we are seeing now a more deadly mutation? and why have health services in Europe seemingly only become stretched to breaking within the last month or so? and why did the tests from two weeks ago show a low confirmation.

Everything I read and see suggests that this situation in Europe is much more severe than a month ago and the severity seemed to balloon suddenly. These are all layman observations of something I don't know enough about though and am happy to be put right.
They are strange, and they're too convenient to accept because we all want to believe they're true - on a personal level I want last month's worst flu/cough of my life to be my infection, on a national scale, we want to think that lots of us have already has it, because all the models will then look a lot better in terms of the curves and where we are now. Unfortunately none of the testing data really backs it up, at the moment it's more of a "wouldn't it be nice" than something with an evidence base behind it.

That said, there are now some "strong, circumstantial" stories of earlier infections, like this one https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...-sussex-family-may-have-infected-coronavirus/ that suggests at least one Brit had it back in mid-January (a month before the first tested positive case) and that he brought it back from a skiing trip in Austria and gave it to his family.

Only cases that ended up in hospital would have been noticed at all, and even there, an individual "odd" pneumonia particularly in an elderly patient wouldn't really be noticed at that time. When we get the antibody test we might actually start to understand the true story, and the history better.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
If Johnson dies, does that mean more people will take it seriously and fewer people will die overall?

I suppose it's worth trying but I wish him and his family the best. I wouldn't mind if he was incapacitated for a week though and then we give it Raabsy till the end of the season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why did Borris feel the need to test himself if he had mild symptoms? There are doctors Pharmacists and nurses who aren't tested and this bellend needs a test from mild symptoms?

F-Red

And more to come I'm sure.

Because it'd be better if our politicians (when showing signs of Coronavirus) DIDN'T get tested and parliament (and the country as a whole) was impacted?

Sigh.
I think we need to test those that will be providing the care quicker if i'm honest, they will be keeping the country running.

Parliament is on it's Easter Break now.

Conor

Very interesting video. Using location data on mobiles, it chooses one beach in Florida during spring break and then tracks where all those people went after.

Hey @Fiskey, please tell us again how Cheltenham was a great idea.

El General 1994

Remember:

Boris, 3rd March:

“I’m shaking hands continuously. I was at a hospital the other night where I think there were actually a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you’ll be pleased to know. I continue to shake hands."

Of course, he was lying then, the hospital he attended had no coronavirus patients at all. But still, listen to the experts.
Spot on. Hi neighbour!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
No, if you want to fit the data to a model, to get the number of infections and deaths, etc, on time, would be very important. The total numbers won't help validating or disproving anything.
Ahuh. I meant if a day out, the longer term model wouldn't be massively impacted, especially as predictive models have certain adjustments built in to cover possible variations.

(Though it's a long time since I did maths and stats at college so maybe modelling has changed)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Why did Borris feel the need to test himself if he had mild symptoms? There are doctors Pharmacists and nurses who aren't tested and this bellend needs a test from mild symptoms?
Because he's the Prime Minister. It would a dereliction of duty if he tried to "be a gentleman" and not take a test. He would have the money to pay for one privately anyway.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Herd immunity begins at home. Good on him for setting an example.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
They are strange, and they're too convenient to accept because we all want to believe they're true - on a personal level I want last month's worst flu/cough of my life to be my infection, on a national scale, we want to think that lots of us have already has it, because all the models will then look a lot better in terms of the curves and where we are now. Unfortunately none of the testing data really backs it up, at the moment it's more of a "wouldn't it be nice" than something with an evidence base behind it.

That said, there are now some "strong, circumstantial" stories of earlier infections, like this one https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...-sussex-family-may-have-infected-coronavirus/ that suggests at least one Brit had it back in mid-January (a month before the first tested positive case) and that he brought it back from a skiing trip in Austria and gave it to his family.

Only cases that ended up in hospital would have been noticed at all, and even there, an individual "odd" pneumonia particularly in an elderly patient wouldn't really be noticed at that time. When we get the antibody test we might actually start to understand the true story, and the history better.
Well said!

Dobba

Because it'd be better if our politicians (when showing signs of Coronavirus) DIDN'T get tested and parliament (and the country as a whole) was impacted?

Sigh.
Let them practice what they're preaching is good enough for the peasants. Stick them all on Universal Credit whilst its shut down too, just to see how quickly they change the amount of money and shorten the wait to get hold of it.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Please refrain from the daft arguing about why the PM of this country should be tested or not. We did that when talking about the heir to the fecking throne the other day.

Deery

Dreary
FFS, he’s the prime minister

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Hey @Fiskey, please tell us again how Cheltenham was a great idea.
What do you think has been happening in workplaces across the entire country for weeks and months? Stopping just Cheltenham in isolation would do sweet feck all.