SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Fluctuation0161

Deaths per head or excess deaths would be a far better metric than simply total deaths. Media will frenzy over the death toll being highest in Europe.
We are 4th highest deaths per million of population in Europe. Is that damning enough for you or is it still the medias fault?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I guess a lot of people are suddenly facing a level of press scrutiny they've never experienced before.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well the higher the prevalence, the lower the mortality rate no?
The mortality is what it is. We’ll only get a handle on that over the coming weeks and months. Based on much larger data sets from all over the world.

The prevalence in Stockholm is just one piece of this picture. I don’t think much would change if there was 5% prevalence vs 25% in that particular city.

Jinn

Yeah, big increase on Alcohol sales last month as well due every one being locked in, same goes for fresh meats as well with all of the lockdown BBQ's.
You guys are lucky. My country has decided on no alcohol and no smokes.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We are 4th highest deaths per million of population in Europe. Is that damning enough for you or is it still the medias fault?
You wanna point to where I've said it's the media's fault? Do you wanna show me where I've supported the government in any way in that post?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't get the incentive to retire less efficient planes while fuel prices are low. Surely high fuel prices would provide a kick up the backside with regards to getting more fuel efficient planes out there.
The incentive will come from airliners discounting their new planes more (price and/or maintenance contracts), not directly from low fuel prices. Yes high fuel prices provided more of a direct kick up the backside but demand exceeded supply so airframers had healthy margins.

King Eric 7

The incentive will come from airliners discounting their new planes more (price and/or maintenance contracts), not directly from low fuel prices. Yes high fuel prices provided more of a direct kick up the backside but demand exceeded supply so airframers had healthy margins.
Ahh OK thanks. I didn't realise they'd save more from those discounts than they would from cheaper fuel costs.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I guess a lot of people are suddenly facing a level of press scrutiny they've never experienced before.
There are not enough head-banging or facepalm emojis/gifs in the world for this news.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Ah shit bud. Get to a doc and get checked out early.
Please don’t follow this terrible advice and go to a doctor with this fever. You need to self isolate and follow the UK guidance online. Mods need to delete this post.

Pagh Wraith

All restaurants, cafés, pubs and beer gardens allowed to open this Saturday. This excites me like nothing else.

F-Red

I've just looked at Germany's figures which say 7,000 and they have a population of 83 million. Genuine question for anyone but what's been the biggest factor in the difference?

Are they reporting their figures in line with other big European countries?
Outside of the reporting element, the biggest factor in the difference is our obesity levels in this country. There is a lot of discussion about the measures, time to react, reporting & testing etc. However as soon as the virus has circulated it's becoming clearer that there is a major correlation between the virus, obesity and death rate.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Was feeling absolutely fine this morning and even went for a walk at lunch time. Then over the course of the afternoon have slowly started to feel lethargic and hot/cold and a bit “off” (technical term).

Just took my temp - 38.8°c :nervous:
If paracetamol is not bringing your temperature down then it might be an idea to give 111 a call for advice.

Rest up and I hope you get better soon mate.

redshaw

403 hospital deaths on a Tuesday so staying low in that regard.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Do they realise that people don’t want to be furloughed?

It sounds like that “people are enjoying being at home a bit too much” quote is echoed in the government. If they do this, they’re going to end up with 20-30% unemployment rate or/and another major spike as people are forced to work when they should be isolating.

Fluctuation0161

You wanna point to where I've said it's the media's fault? Do you wanna show me where I've supported the government in any way in that post?
You wanna answer a question with a question?

The word frenzy implies the media are being irrational if they talk about the UK having the highest number of deaths in Europe. I'd say it's a national scandal, not a media frenzy.

0le

Ahh OK thanks. I didn't realise they'd save more from those discounts than they would from cheaper fuel costs.
I was taught that airlines purchase fuel several years in advance, I think its called "fuel hedging".

nme_pro

Fresh from newbieville
I was taught that airlines purchase fuel several years in advance, I think its called "fuel hedging".
Kind of, a really basic example would be that BA will know how much fuel they will need for a year, as they'll know all their routes/flights etc. They would then go to Shell and say, hey, we need x amount of fuel in delivered in these locations on these dates.

Shell would look at the current price, then the Month +1 price all the way out to 12 months, then say, cool, that will cost you £y

The hedging part would be getting a financial institution involved, so BA roll over to Morgan Stanley and say, we want to buy a year's worth of oil and we want you to secure the price, as the oil price is volatile, and BA want to lock in their customer pricing so they can start selling tickets.

Morgan Stanley then say, we will guarantee you the Shell price + £1 per barrel. If the price of jet fuel goes up by more than £1, Morgan Stanley cover the extra cost, if it drops, BA still has to pay the agreed price of £Y + £1 per barrel.

Long story short, BA are fecked here because they have a contract with Morgan Stanley to buy at a certain price but they don't have anyone buying plane tickets. Morgan Stanley are making a shit load because they're paying Shell next to nothing for the Jet fuel

It's more complex than that with taking counte positions etc, but thats how BA would normally mitigate risk against price fluctuations. In this example, they're not doing well.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
In most ways the UK response is turning out to be the worst in Europe and possibly worst in the world if you consider how big the US is . This after the fact that the UK had a couple of extra weeks on the other European countries. Death per million population might still be not as bad as other countries but we are still 2 weeks behind so that will change.

I was going through the UK death registration statistics and last year in the 4 weeks of April the total deaths registered were about 42000 with no week going above 11k . This year it was 16k, 18k,22k and 22k in the 4 weeks which is a total of 78k in April . So much for all the discussion about how a lot of people would have died anyway argument. UK will end with 50k+ deaths from the first wave and it's genuinely sad to see the politicians trying to take any credit from this

Smores

If this is the advice given then we're not going to see schools open for some time surely.

Josep Dowling

Do they realise that people don’t want to be furloughed?

It sounds like that “people are enjoying being at home a bit too much” quote is echoed in the government. If they do this, they’re going to end up with 20-30% unemployment rate or/and another major spike as people are forced to work when they should be isolating.
Honestly I know ALOT of people treating this as a big holiday whilst being paid. Defer your mortgage at the same time and some people are up financially in the short term (I’m ignoring interest added to the mortgage). I have to say I wish I was furloughed as working 5 days a week at home on my own absolutely sucks. Even more so when so many colleagues received 100% pay for the last two months as work guaranteed this before the furlough scheme was announced. And they can work else where if they really wanted to.

The scheme was ill thought out in my view but they had to do something before the nation panicked about their financial position. The next step is that self employed should only make a claim ‘if’ they have been unable to work during the last 3 months. Who exactly is going to turn down 3 months taxable profit? And who from HMRC is going to check if they also earnt money in these 3 months whilst making a claim? There will be so many people taking advantage of this scheme that is going to cause a colossal amount of national debt.