SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Our cio sent a message encouraging people to go to Germany for fun if their mental health was suffering, I responded bluntly and it was the whole company that could read it
Telling people to go to Germany for fun is like telling people from the gay community that they’ll have a great time in Russia

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Just tested positive after a few days in isolation and feel terrible. Sore muscles, fever, headache and tiredness. Very contrary to my friends who were all symptom free when they caught it.

Already bored to death.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Covid is ripping through my home town now with everyone dropping with it. The trouble is, a significant number of people have been coming out while feeling unwell. They have been shopping, drinking in the pubs all night, partying etc.. Some have openly said they thought or knew they had it but.didnt care and weren't isolating with a cold. Many others just kept quiet about it until they felt better.

Just now one of my regular customers who spends all day stood at the bar said he thinks he had it a couple of weeks ago and he hadn't been doing tests when he told us all he had. I had to close my pub as half my family and staff went down with it that week and he spent the entire week I'm the pub. Closing cost me thousands, and my family holiday to Lapland, Bi Bailey and a trip to OT etc... Plus the huge worry of making someone else sick.

It's the first time I've banned someone on Boxing day. I absolutely lost my shit.

I'm fecking furious.

#Rant over.
Ever since pandemic started almost two years ago it was obvious that the biggest problem with stopping it will be people's selfishness, everyone could have seen that if they met just few people who've had corona virus at that time. I know many friends who casually say that they've had the virus last year, but never admitted while they were hanging out around me, but apparently after few months it's fine to say they've had it because luckily they didn't infect me back then.

That's why I laugh every time someone said we should vaccinate to protect others, older people etc., since people will only vaccinate to protect themselves and their closer family at best, nobody cares far from that.

UK has been pretty closed for past year or so, but good part of the world never stopped travelling, airlines are full, and people are going places that they weren't before even before the vaccine roll out started, many people never cared at all about the pandemic, and not just people who were anti corona, anti waxxers, etc.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Sorry to hear that. Do you mean they have been tested positive?
Yeah, some, and others who just know they have it because of symptoms or they have been in close contact with others who went on to isolate.

There’s a lot of everyone out for themselves now. When you’ve got images of the government having parties last year when everyone else is locked down it’s no surprise people are doing whatever they want. It is quite selfish though with no thought to others, like in your example where the guy just wanted the beer all week in the Christmas atmosphere but ended up infecting half the staff.
I can’t wait for this to be over, I feel myself turning bitter and angry before I’m 50

I understand completely. I hate being bitter and angry, but other people make it fecking hard not to be. It's tough enough running a pub at the best of times, let alone through all this.

I think I might host a Redcafe party to try to cheer us all up. :D

dal

The feeling I get from a lot of people now is they don’t care about the virus too much and want to do as they please and I for one can’t now say I blame them.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yeah, some, and others who just know they have it because of symptoms or they have been in close contact with others who went on to isolate.

I understand completely. I hate being bitter and angry, but other people make it fecking hard not to be. It's tough enough running a pub at the best of times, let alone through all this.

I think I might host a Redcafe party to try to cheer us all up. :D
Man if it was covid gone that would be a great idea

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
3 days since that little bollox was here and I've had 3 negative antigens. I've had a severe headache on Christmas eve and an ever so slight tickle in my throat that causes me to cough once or twice every few hours. My sister called me today and said her son my nephew tested positive today. I saw them Chrimbo eve. We'd all tested negative on the antigens that day. It's getting closer

EvilChuck

Just tested positive. Thankfully my stepdaughter tested positive on Friday so we had cancelled our plans to have the family all together. I'd have hated the thought of spending the whole day around mine and my missus' 70 year old mothers and then find out today I have covid.

Only symptoms so far are a dry cough, sweats, and i get really short of breath if i talk for too long

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I still don't understand how people are catching covid. Why haven't I had it?
Sorry mate, I would have given it to you a few days ago but I can't any longer as I'm Omicron immune now and couldn't pass it on even if I try really hard. :(

G-manc

5 of the 6 in our house have had it over Christmas, next door are the same (we've not got it off each other).

Symptoms in the adults have been a heavy cold and high temperatures in the kids. Proper bored and fed up - can't be bothered eating, not bothered about drinking either.

The feeling I get from a lot of people now is they don’t care about the virus too much and want to do as they please and I for one can’t now say I blame them.
The Downstreet Christmas party has really destroyed the good will and trust of a large number of people.

Think about it. People had loved ones die alone, not allowed to visit them, then they found out those that put those laws were out partying and mocking the whole thing.

Also, what’s good , but can also be bad due to selective bias and general stupidity, is that people are now more likely to question the modelling & read the data. I’m not a medic or scientist, but just by looking at infections increase in comparison to hospitalisations and deaths etc I figured Omicron would not be as severe as previous variants. Whether due to the mutation, previous infection, a mostly vaccinated population etc. But I also know if we get to (hypothetical)x5 the current number of daily infections then small % of hospitalisations will become quite a large amount, but a lot of people don’t get that.

Also we don’t know what the next variant might mutate to, might be weaker but might have one that mutates stronger and people don’t take it seriously until it’s too late.

decorativeed

Covid is ripping through my home town now with everyone dropping with it. The trouble is, a significant number of people have been coming out while feeling unwell. They have been shopping, drinking in the pubs all night, partying etc.. Some have openly said they thought or knew they had it but.didnt care and weren't isolating with a cold. Many others just kept quiet about it until they felt better.

Just now one of my regular customers who spends all day stood at the bar said he thinks he had it a couple of weeks ago and he hadn't been doing tests when he told us all he had. I had to close my pub as half my family and staff went down with it that week and he spent the entire week I'm the pub. Closing cost me thousands, and my family holiday to Lapland, Bi Bailey and a trip to OT etc... Plus the huge worry of making someone else sick.

It's the first time I've banned someone on Boxing day. I absolutely lost my shit.

I'm fecking furious.

#Rant over.
I wouldn't have held it against you if you'd glassed the cnut. Some people are selfish beyond belief.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
One of the guys in my office had his mother in law stay for Christmas. She was running a high temperature on Xmas morning and grudgingly told them that she had tested positive via a LFT on Xmas eve. She ignored it and decided to travel as she didn’t want to disappoint the grandchildren.

My mate, his wife and one of his children have all tested positive this morning.

Why are people so selfish?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Did you catch it recently? That’s the only scenario in which you’re “omicron immune”
It's my seventh day since the official PCR result and I'm finally showing negative on LFT. It ran through the whole family. Everyone including my elderly mum felt it for a day or three, then it was gone.

golden_blunder

Staff
One of the guys in my office had his mother in law stay for Christmas. She was running a high temperature on Xmas morning and grudgingly told them that she had tested positive via a LFT on Xmas eve. She ignored it and decided to travel as she didn’t want to disappoint the grandchildren.

My mate, his wife and one of his children have all tested positive this morning.

Why are people so selfish?
Similar to our story only we stuck her in the box room as soon as we found out, left her food outside the door etc and once a day she was in the back garden with a mask on talking to us (socially distanced). So far, touch wood, we’ve all tested negative

Garethw

Similar to our story only we stuck her in the box room as soon as we found out, left her food outside the door etc and once a day she was in the back garden with a mask on talking to us (socially distanced). So far, touch wood, we’ve all tested negative
Great news that you’ve managed to keep infection free mate. Christmas is stressful enough without dealing with all of that!

choccy77

Looks like Boris is gonna do nothing and let England carry on being the Omicron Breading ground of the planet.

GloryHunter07

I'm fecking furious.

#Rant over.
Youve every right to be furious, thats disgraceful behaviour.

zing

Zingle balls
India is running boosters for people who’ve taken AZ with AZ itself as the third shot. Is there any data on this at all? And generally.. should I ask my parents to take it? Been 8 months since their second shot.

Garethw

India is running boosters for people who’ve taken AZ with AZ itself as the third shot. Is there any data on this at all? And generally.. should I ask my parents to take it? Been 8 months since their second shot.
I believe that three jabs of AZ gives about the same level of protection against omicron as two jabs gave against Delta.

In the UK we are being offered Pfizer and Moderna as the booster, but I definitely wouldn’t have turned my nose up to a third shot of AZ had it been offered.

Last edited:

roseguy64

Saw a tweet about an article saying the AZ boosting itself trials went well.

King Eric 7

I believe that three jabs of AZ gives about the same level of protection against omicron as two jabs gave against Delta.

In the UK we are being offered Pfizer as the booster, but I definitely wouldn’t have turned my nose up to a third shot of AZ had it been offered.
And Moderna, which is what I had as my booster.

MDFC Manager

Without any other option, I think it's makes it worth going for it. I'll be getting my parents on it once eligible

peridigm

My son's GF has used 4 LFT since Friday and all have been positive. My son is on his 3rd day of a fever of at least 100. He has taken two LFT test, Friday and Sunday, and both have been negative. He and his GH drove here on Thursday and were in a car for 12+ hours and live together. She is staying at her parents house at this time. Other than my son, no one else in my family has been around her since they arrived. I've taken two LFT test, Friday and most recent this morning. All negative. No one else, apart from my son is feeling unwell. I picked up some PCR tests this morning from the local health department. Son is going to take his today and drop it in the mail. The rest are waiting a day or two or until we feel something. I still have 9 LFT left. All of us are boosted except for my son and his GF.

Traub

Take whatever you can get IMO. They may not all be effective against infection, but I’m sure will be a strong boost against severe disease - and that’s all you should be worried about.

U.K. reports 98,515 new cases & 143 Deaths.
Substantial decrease, i’m aware that Mondays always present lower figures, but a positive start. Real test will be Friday

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

No further restrictions until NY has passed. Following the data indeed.