Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Read somewhere that the reserve players from his batch were wondering how he's the one who got the chance to step up into the first team. Wonder if that's true.

Jose "Size Queen" Mourinho saw his height and build, and thought he'd do for him.

Kag

The reaction to him starting was stupid. It’s clear he wasn’t going to get binned off just because Mourinho had taken a liking to him. But he was poor, like everybody else today.

The suggestion that he ‘did his job’ grinds me, however. This wouldn’t be acceptable for Pogba, or Herrera, or even Pereira. But somehow when it comes to the likes of McTominay and Fellaini, the benchmark is to receive the ball, give it to somebody else and compete for a few balls. It doesn’t cut it; it never has for a midfielder playing in a United first team. Well, it has recently, but it certainly didn’t when we were a successful side.

You can’t, one one hand, expect a kid like Pereira, or Chong, to do something quite remarkable, while on the other hand accept that McTominay’s offering is enough. I argue this in the Fellaini thread often. Expectations shouldn’t alter just because you know there’s a clear difference in talent. It shouldn’t, anyway.

Bola

It's more preferable that he isn't even part of the squad for the future, would never get into the squad of any top team in the world ever, yet we wonder why we have been mediocre. We need to stop accepting bang average players, even squad players, just because they are academy products or we believe we are better than other teams, players like McTominay, as I said, would not be bit part squad players for any team considering themselves a top team, ever.
You say that with a lot of certainty. I've seen enough that he deserves a chance - he may not make it, or he may.

As a club, I don't think we should be writing off u-23s so hastily that have made it to the 1st team

Personally, is look to loan him for the rest of the season and make a call the. He's be 22.5 when he gets back

Roboc7

He’s nowhere near the required level, can’t see him getting many opportunities unless there are injuries.

His current level is championship/league one, if he doesn’t push to leave I can see him being here for another 18 months but hardly playing.

Web of Bissaka

If not because of Romero, he and Darmian would contest for the MOTM.

One of the few players who doesn't hide in this game, and did his job, hassling opposing players in their face, made plenty movements to receive helping team-mates, pass pass pass, up and down, first half B2b and second half discipline holding role.

Ashley R1+O

Read somewhere that the reserve players from his batch were wondering how he's the one who got the chance to step up into the first team. Wonder if that's true.
I'm sure you "read that somewhere", seems legit.

Looked decent enough. A bit too much of a "fireman" rather than a technician. Not the best on the ball moving it around but he can interlink play okay. There is just such a jam of different players in there and like Peirera there isn't a hole he fits into. No harm on the lad.

JMack1234

I do have sympathy for McTominay because to some extent he'll always be tarnished by the Mourinho era and he'll do well to get over being Mourinho's pet after that ridiculous award Mourinho invented for him.

That said, you do have to seriously question whether this guy is good enough. I've never been that impressed him. If he was playing in Reading colours today i'd of considered him a good player for them but for us? I'm really not convinced.

haram

Jose "Size Queen" Mourinho saw his height and build, and thought he'd do for him.
Who should Jose have played instead? I look forward to those players doing what Scott did in games like Chelsea and Liverpool this year under another manager.

When it came down to it, Scott was better than Pereira today.

haram

Apparently Jose’s system was restrictive and did not allow players to express themselves. Scott then plays in the same midfield as Fred and Pereira under Ole who were supposed to be better as a result of Jose leaving. He plays better than both.

You can say what you want about his supposed quality, but its hypocrtical to lament Scott for what he has shown before but give Pereira and Fred a pass because it was easy to blame Jose for their shortcomings.

If everyone gets a clean slate, McTominay does as well. As it stands he has done better than the other two under a new manager and system. That might just be an indictment on how poor the other two were, but the point still stands.

People wanted to play more attacking football, more open football. Fred and Pereira start in midfield and can barely handle Reading. McTominay had to move to a deeper role and we set up more defensively in the second half.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm sure you "read that somewhere", seems legit.

Looked decent enough. A bit too much of a "fireman" rather than a technician. Not the best on the ball moving it around but he can interlink play okay. There is just such a jam of different players in there and like Peirera there isn't a hole he fits into. No harm on the lad.
I really read that somewhere. :lol:

I think there is a line between being loyal and supportive of our own players, and having high standards for the kind of players we should keep in the squad. Honestly I'd love it if he made it. I'd take Academy kids as squad options over someone like Fellaini any day.

POF

He will most likely go on loan to the Championship next season and never come back. Good honest kid who does his best but just doesn't have enough about him to play at this level.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A compilation of his touches today would show you why he shouldn't be playing at this level. Has absolutely no shining qualities or natural talent to display. He failed at every attempt to creatively get himself out of trouble today. He did not succeed once at producing ANYTHING creative in the game. It doesn't have to be a hollywood pass, a cheeky lobbed pass but ffs have SOMETHING to show when you're trying to get yourself out of tight spaces. It's exactly why he's bang average.

Seij

If his name was Andreas Pereira he would’ve never been given that much stick here.
I don't think so. McTominay has been given plenty of playing time to prove himself and it's looking pretty clear that he is not going to make it at the top level. In fact, until fairly recently, people had been pretty soft on him saying things like "he's still young", "he wasn't that bad. [insert higher profile player name here] was worse". When a player's only strengths are his size and "works hard", that's a problem.

The reason Pereira has been given more reserved criticism is his experience playing at the top level in Spain, as well as the fact that he's barely gotten any minutes at United under Mourinho.

haram

WhoScored have him as the highest rated player from yesterday. 7 tackles and 92% pass completion. He dropped into the deepest midfield role in the second half when Pereira could not do it in the first half.

He is not an amazing player and may not last at United but be honest and show him some respect.

SteveW

Definitely works hard and has a good attitude. Lets be honest though. He's not good enough for United.

SteveW

I don't think so. McTominay has been given plenty of playing time to prove himself and it's looking pretty clear that he is not going to make it at the top level. In fact, until fairly recently, people had been pretty soft on him saying things like "he's still young", "he wasn't that bad. [insert higher profile player name here] was worse". When a player's only strengths are his size and "works hard", that's a problem.

The reason Pereira has been given more reserved criticism is his experience playing at the top level in Spain, as well as the fact that he's barely gotten any minutes at United under Mourinho.
Neither will make it here. It seems pretty obvious at this stage.

khoazany

I really read that somewhere. :lol:

I think there is a line between being loyal and supportive of our own players, and having high standards for the kind of players we should keep in the squad. Honestly I'd love it if he made it. I'd take Academy kids as squad options over someone like Fellaini any day.
He can still "make it" as an option in the squad when we need a defensive-minded midfielder. That's about it really, but honestly if that's the case Garner or someone else will surpass him in a few years. A bit like Coquelin when he was at Arsenal.

Walters_19_MuFc

Best out of bad bunch in midfield the other day, in my opinion.

A lot of people dont rate him, and along with Fellaini, McTominay gets the most stick of our midfielders, in my opinion. People call him average, and he most likely wont make it at United, but to date, he has put in better performances than both Fred and Pereira - the latter that most people rave about, including myself, and to be honest, he's yet to impress, having had more chances than McTominay.

McTominay, last season put in big performances against both Liverpool and Chelsea. More than can be said about the others.

Going forward, whilst he's still at the club, i'd like to see him as a holding midfielder. He's strong, gets stuck in, good in the air and reads the game well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Held his own against Chelsea and Liverpool last season, that's more than some forum darlings like Pereira has achieved in England so far.
He literally cost us a goal against Chelsea last season tbh.

Based Adnan

That goal was a comedy of errors by multiple players. Even with that error he still had a good game overall.

He's shown against teams like Liverpool and Sevilla away that he can do a job and be an option for us in a purely defensive role. If people are expecting him to play defense splitting passes or dictate play then they're looking for the wrong things in Scott. He can be a good squad option as a destroyer type DM.

Alabaster Codify7

That goal was a comedy of errors by multiple players. Even with that error he still had a good game overall.

He's shown against teams like Liverpool and Sevilla away that he can do a job and be an option for us in a purely defensive role. If people are expecting him to play defense splitting passes or dictate play then they're looking for the wrong things in Scott. He can be a good squad option as a destroyer type DM.
Destroyer???!!!
Why? Coz he's tall?
He couldn't destroy his breakfast.

berbasloth4

send him on loan so he can play every week and pick up traits. he is no where near good enough for man united might change with more games and more confidence

SAFMUTD

I feel bad for the lad, he is a hard worker and you can see that he loves the club but its clear he is not good enough, he doesn’t haves it in him.

I don’t really know how he made his way up to the first team, how was he the best option?

Again I feel bad but I think we should not waste anymore minutes with him, he will end up playing in the championship at best IMO.

Litch

Another young player that we are unclear of what position is his best....that said, if he was playing for Cardiff, the club wouldn't be thinking let's get the Scott lad as he looks like he could be Utd quality.

Based Adnan

Destroyer???!!!
Why? Coz he's tall?
He couldn't destroy his breakfast.
Good one mate

Check out his games vs Liverpool and Sevilla like I mentioned above. Hell even check out his 2nd half yesterday. Made more tackles in that half then anyone else managed in the entire game.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The way he responded to that goal by not letting it faze him and instead grew into the game were sure to be one of many reasons why Mourinho rated him so. Top notch mentality, exactly what a lot of other United youngsters are missing.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Ronaldo was winning the Ballon D'or at that age!
At that age;

- Solskjaer played in the third tier in Norway.
- Virgil van Dijk had just finished his first season as a regular in an average team in Eredivise (at a time when defenders in general were really poor in Eredivise)
- Ruud van Nistelrooy had just finished his first season in Eredivise for Heerenveen, scoring 13 goals
- Didier Drogba struggeled to make an impact in Ligue 2

Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.