5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

He was awful as a CB, better in midfield but still pretty bad. Shows how low our standards have dropped that Zinchenko who is a makeshift LB for City looked in a completely different class to Mctominay.

Pirlo'sBeard

Every other post on this forum is someone either shitting on Maguire or mctominay. You’ve literally got a post above from someone who has randomly decided to come into this performance thread and say he’s rubbish - a really wonderfully constructive post. Has he been watching the Scotland game? No. He’s obviously just got Mctominay on the brain. If you want to go around posting shite at the easy targets then do it. But don’t get all high and mighty about “standards” and “telling it like it is” - you’re just being a toxic shite adding noise on the Internet and I’m going to say it’s toxic bullshit. “Hate it with a passion” - Get a new passion.
I caught the last bit. He lost the ball a few times.

Anyway I don't need to watch the Scotland game to know he's rubbish. I've watched him for United often enough.

I asked you what he's good at and you couldn't answer? He not even a starter in midfield for Scotland. He's not good enough for United and never will be.

He wouldn't start for any Premier League side other than the bottom three.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He played well tonight, much more comfortable in midfield.
Was involved in several good moves and definitely did not hide!

Swedish_Plumber

Yeah he’s just not it. Squad player is about as best he should be for us. And even then it’s not what we should be after!

NoPace

A Scottish fan on Twitter said he should be fighting in Ukraine as punishment for his performance. Now I didn’t watch the full 90mins, was it that bad? :lol:
At center back yes. In midfield, he was better, though Ukraine were sitting back far more. Hit some good passes forward between the lines, strided well with the ball when given space as always and didn't do anything particularly great or terrible. Had a decent volley attempt blocked. He lacked subtlety and cleverness of course.

Chripper

That match was an anomaly.

I mean, John McGinn has scored 12 goals under Steve Clarke, and yet he missed an open net from about 5 yards

I haven't seen us play that badly for a long while.

When McTominay was pushed into midfield we actually started creating chances. He set up the chance for McGinn and he slid in a few neat forward passes.

I'm living in hope that ETH can improve him.

Marcus

I think he started out as a striker in the youth team? Hopefully with ETH guiding him, the can play to his strengths.

jeepers

He’s not good enough but at least he’s better than Thomas “Sideways” Cleverley. I think he’ll improve under EtH, he seems like the kind of player who thrives with specific and exact instructions and requires proper coaching. He didn’t get that under Mourinho and Ole, he will get that under EtH.

Slysi17

People just aren't getting it.

How much good games does Maguire have in 20? Shaw? Pogba? Sancho?

How much did those 4 cost? I'll ballpark it. £240m?

Arbitrarily picking out one player is so... arbitrary.
You sound like such a McTominay fanboy. He isn't Manchester United quality. End of.

Slysi17

That’s weird. He’s in the top 70th percentile of midfielders for pass completion. So it seems like he does normally do that. His last 3 managers have all loved him too. And not to trigger you too much - but McLaren is on record of loving him also. So you may just have to get used to “my standards” for a little while yet. Should he be an automatic starter? No. Is he better than the nonsense people like you say about him? Infinitely.
what's wrong with saying someone isn't good enough to play for Manchester United. Like there is nothing wrong with it. Its a life lesson in a nutshell. Not everyone can be a doctor for example.

Augustus Gloop

I thought he was pretty good last night. In contrast to how his United stats usually look, he had the most touches and passes of any Scotland player by a fair margin.

King_Cantona07

I thought he was pretty good last night. In contrast to how his United stats usually look, he had the most touches and passes of any Scotland player by a fair margin.
Not particularly against mctominay. Have seen him have better games, but above statement defined Scotland’s problem yesterday. You want someone with more creativity to have more touches than someone like mctominay who can’t run the game or midfield.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
When you look at our great teams under Fergie, you can pick any position and that player would be in the top 3 in the world, top 3 in Europe or top 3 in the Premier League in that position. That is the standard we should be aspiring to. I like the lad, because he clearly loves being a Manchester United player and wants to do his best, but he's not good enough or consistent enough.

diarm

When you look at our great teams under Fergie, you can pick any position and that player would be in the top 3 in the world, top 3 in Europe or top 3 in the Premier League in that position. That is the standard we should be aspiring to. I like the lad, because he clearly loves being a Manchester United player and wants to do his best, but he's not good enough or consistent enough.
Parker, Sharpe, Johnsen, Berg, Phil Neville, Blomqvist, Butt, Sheringham, Yorke, Brown, Anderson, Park, Fletcher, Fletcher, O'Shea, Nani.

All fine players, but I don't think any of them were ever top 3 in the league in their positions despite being key figures in great teams.

Good coaches build teams with all sorts of players. I still think there is enough about McTominay that we'll see a decent player under Ten Hag. Maybe not a starter, but an effective squad member for sure.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Pretty hard disagree on that. If anything SAF s genius was getting somewhat decent players to be part of an all winning team. Fortune, O'Shea, Silvestre, Park, Hernandez, all the keepers before Edwin - none of them were that good, but worked for us.

He'll definitely get worked on by ETH.

Bobski

Pretty hard disagree on that. If anything SAF s genius was getting somewhat decent players to be part of an all winning team. Fortune, O'Shea, Silvestre, Park, Hernandez, all the keepers before Edwin - none of them were that good, but worked for us.

He'll definitely get worked on by ETH.
Yes, the idea of teams having a top 3-5 player in the world in every position is a luxury of the last 10-15 years, the super team era, and the rise of that type of team explains why so many points and goal records have been smashed in England/France/Spain/Germany in that time period.(And also makes the achievements of the likes of Madrid/PSG/Bayern far less impressive)

How many of our 99 team would be in an argument to be included in that bracket? Schmeichel, though not really that season, Stam, Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Beckham. That's its.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only paitive parts about him are his physical attributes. Technically, he's a poor player

soapythecat

If he is still starting regularly for United next season we won’t be finishing in the top half. He’s not good, he’s not improving but I’d say he’s regressing. Offers nothing other than hard work, but it’s wasted effort as he’s not effective.
His inclusion in a United squad is worrying as it’s a clear indicator of how weak and poor our squad is. Doubt he would start for any other PL side.

Stadjer

The only paitive parts about him are his physical attributes. Technically, he's a poor player
His physical attributes are fine, not something that is special for a physical player though. There are many players in the league with similiar or even better physical attributes. His pysical qualities dont make up for his lack of technical quality.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He’s not good enough but at least he’s better than Thomas “Sideways” Cleverley. I think he’ll improve under EtH, he seems like the kind of player who thrives with specific and exact instructions and requires proper coaching. He didn’t get that under Mourinho and Ole, he will get that under EtH.
Tom Cleverly was a better player. Not even debatable.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Tom Cleverly was a better player. Not even debatable.
I debate the opposite.

Mctominay under SAF would be better than how he got Cleverely playing.

Saf got some crap players playing better than they actually were which hasn’t happened post his retirement.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Parker, Sharpe, Johnsen, Berg, Phil Neville, Blomqvist, Butt, Sheringham, Yorke, Brown, Anderson, Park, Fletcher, Fletcher, O'Shea, Nani.

All fine players, but I don't think any of them were ever top 3 in the league in their positions despite being key figures in great teams.
Yorke, Fletcher and Nani had periods where they were. Hell, Nani was probably the best player in the league in 10/11 and was the main man in us winning the title.

Yes, the idea of teams having a top 3-5 player in the world in every position is a luxury of the last 10-15 years, the super team era, and the rise of that type of team explains why so many points and goal records have been smashed in England/France/Spain/Germany in that time period.(And also makes the achievements of the likes of Madrid/PSG/Bayern far less impressive)

How many of our 99 team would be in an argument to be included in that bracket? Schmeichel, though not really that season, Stam, Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Beckham. That's its.
In that particular season, you can drop out Scholes (it wasn't until a season or two later that he really started shining) but bring in Yorke. Arguably Cole as well.

Red Royal

Assuming we get someone in like FDJ and/or Sangare/Neves... then Fred plus DVB and Bruno make up our starting midfield. Give Garner a chance what do we do with McT?

I hope he is being touted around clubs like Everton, Brighton and Southampton. We really need to move him on unless ETH thinks he can transform him into something else. Perhaps a CB? Did he not start life as a striker... could he do a job there? Hope he is not another Jesse who stays here for years getting worse and worse.

Dempsey19

This is an absolutely wild take. Cleverley is nowhere near the level of McTominay
Heard it all now.

McTominay is dreadful. Works hard but it amounts to nothing.

All he has is physical attributes. Technically he's probably the worst player in the squad. He's only playing because we have feck all else.

The sooner he's replaced the better.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Heard it all now.

All he has is physical attributes. Technically he's probably the worst player in the squad. He's only playing because we have feck all else.

Doesn't even do that half the time. He's as bad as Pogba for casually jogging back while we're being countered.

Becks_VII

Heard it all now.

Agreed. He was awful today against a mediocre ROI midfield. Just completly anonymous

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Heard it all now.

Biggest myth regarding McT. He does couple of stupid and reckless tackles per game and all of sudden he is hard working fearless player

Keefy18

Only read a page or two and its actually shocking to see so many folks that think he can be good enough here.

Wouldn't mind him as a squad player getting 10 games a season type thing, notions of ETH turning him into some great player is absolutely baffling to me.

AFC NimbleThumb

Biggest myth regarding McT. He does couple of stupid and reckless tackles per game and all of sudden he is hard working fearless player
Exactly this!

The fact he arrives late to the tackle a few times a game papers over the fact he’s a turnstile in midfield with a very low skill set for the midfield position.

Status
Not open for further replies.