5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robindinho

Biggest myth regarding McT. He does couple of stupid and reckless tackles per game and all of sudden he is hard working fearless player
Spot on... The casual, lolloping jog he does when running back or closing someone down to get tight/block a shot certainly isn't "working hard".

OleGunnar20

Spot on... The casual, lolloping jog he does when running back or closing someone down to get tight/block a shot certainly isn't "working hard".
Yep, never came across as particularly hard-working or effective in midfield. Seems a nice lad but I've no idea what he brings to a midfield aiming for the top. A decent shot, occasionally. Aerial presence? Needs to be moved on really, not that that'll happen this year of course.

AndySmith1990

I just dont understand how hes not a key player in Scotland's midfield and we expect him to do well for Man Utd
Don't think many people expect him to do well from what I can see. Most agree he's a rubbish player relative to the level we aspire to reach

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I just dont understand how hes not a key player in Scotland's midfield and we expect him to do well for Man Utd
People don't actually expect him to do well. Some just like him because of his background / gung-ho nature and have zero expectations from "squad" players.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is one of the most annoying things about the club.

If you come through the academy you are suddenly guaranteed a full career here, immune from poor performances as long as you 'bleed red' and talk a good game.

We've got rid of way better players for a lot worse performances.

SAF is the GOAT

All those muscles and almost every opposition player is bullying and beating him physically on and for the ball

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It genuinely makes me believe that the physical strength or core strength is hereditary.
You got folk like keane who was so lanky and yet not easily beaten off the ball at all and then you got someone like Scott .

EtH

He’s not as physically dominant as he should be with his build.
Because he doesn’t have the natural talent to use it properly. Also upper body strength only goes so far in a midfield scrap. It’s more about lower body strength and again having the talent to maneuver your body into the right positions to win and keep the ball.

Idxomer

Should be tried as a striker or a right-winger if we aren't signing any forwards.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
All those muscles to hide from the ball for 90 minutes

Stadjer

Larger muscles, more power. He can misplace passes with more force now?

If ETH can make McT look like a good footballer he is a genius. Really hope we will see less and less of McT on the field in the upcoming seasons.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It genuinely makes me believe that the physical strength or core strength is hereditary.
You got folk like keane who was so lanky and yet not easily beaten off the ball at all and then you got someone like Scott .
Takes more than strength to be difficult to knock off the ball. Balance even more important. Plus there’s a lot of skill involved in making sure you have a solid base. Aggression also helps.

All things being equal, a player with shorter stature will be harder to muscle off the ball too.

Larger muscles, more power. He can misplace passes with more force now?

If ETH can make McT look like a good footballer he is a genius. Really hope we will see less and less of McT on the field in the upcoming seasons.
:lol: :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Takes more than strength to be difficult to knock off the ball. Balance even more important. Plus there’s a lot of skill involved in making sure you have a solid base. Aggression also helps.

All things being equal, a player with shorter stature will be harder to muscle off the ball too.
Obviously true, you learn some of those skills in wrestling and boxing(keeping balance, positioning etc etc) but even then for someone who's so fecking built and physique obsessed hes spectacularly shit at it.
It's ridiculous at times, Fred can be harder to knock of the ball than him.

OpenIntrovert

People over here are writing off McTominay without knowing why he had issues. McTominay is a CM being played as a DM. Both are 2 different positions with very different attributes. McTominay is far more comfortable in progressing play, taking shots and going into the box than sitting back to defend. He is good at tracking back and making interceptions, but a DM is more than that. A DM needs to be composed, read the game very well and positions himself to narrow down the opponent's attacking channels. McTominay doesn't have such attributes, which is why he is so lost as a DM. It is no coincidence that he plays well when he is allowed to be a CM or roam, like the Leeds games in the 20/21 and 21/22 season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Obviously true, you learn some of those skills in wrestling and boxing(keeping balance, positioning etc etc) but even then for someone who's so fecking built and physique obsessed hes spectacularly shit at it.
It's ridiculous at times, Fred can be harder to knock of the ball than him.
Well being short helps. Same reason we see Pogba constantly out-muscled as well. He’s also a big, strong unit. The lower the centre of gravity the better. That’s why wrestlers sprawl to defend a takedown. Not really an option for footballers!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
But he's not good at tracking back or making interceptions.
And, frankly, all players need to read the game well and be composed.

He's just a average footballer who has done very well for himself in the game and at United but he needs to be moved on.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Well being short helps. Same reason we see Pogba constantly out-muscled as well. He’s also a big, strong unit. The lower the centre of gravity the better. That’s why wrestlers sprawl to defend a takedown. Not really an option for footballers!
That's true obviously but then the likes of Busquets and Viera did quite well while neither being as buffed up as pogba and mctom(obviously much superior skill but still).
Also it's a bit unfair to pogba in this regard as he's nowhere near as bad as mctom when it gets to being knocked off the ball.

Anyhow it can be really infuriating to see him being so weak upfront against it, ten hag needs to adjust his game if he's to have any future around here.

Oranges038

You can be built like that, but not necessarily be all that physically strong. Add in his height and his rigid body movements and you can see why he's relatively easily shifted off the ball by smaller players.

Whereas someone like Vieira was as big, but seemed to be much more naturally fluid in his style of play and body shape and as such was able to use his body to better effect.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You can be built like that, but not necessarily be all that physically strong. Add in his height and his rigid body movements and you can see why he's relatively easily shifted off the ball by smaller players.
Perhaps losing some muscle would be beneficial to him, although obviously I'm no expert but as you said it yourself he does come out as too stiff at times.

Oranges038

Perhaps losing some muscle would be beneficial to him, although obviously I'm no expert but as you said it yourself he does come out as too stiff at times.
More or less muscle won't make mych difference when he lacks the technique and awareness to operate as a midfielder in a top team.

That's my view on him, he's too rigid/stiff and lacks natural fluidity in his body movements, it's why he's not very good at turning quickly into space in midfield areas to escape a press.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Awareness to brace the contact and throw your weight into them to counter act it makes a big difference too.

That's often more his problem, he doesn't realise he's being robbed until it's too late to react.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We see pics like this every year with our lot yet they're gassed by the 60 minute mark. :lol:
Muscles need fuel. The more muscular the more it impacts your stamina because we don't have an infinite reserve of fuel.

Skills

Snitch
Muscles need fuel. The more muscular the more it impacts your stamina because we don't have an infinite reserve of fuel.
It's more to do with conditioning in our case. He doesn't look that big - I reckon he's still only 81-82kg in that pic which isn't that heavy.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It's more to do with conditioning in our case. He doesn't look that big - I reckon he's still only 81-82kg in that pic which isn't that heavy.
82 kilos is in the upper end for a footballer, that's what most center backs play at but McT is also 6'3 so that fits well for his frame.

JeffFromHK

Our club is surely haunted by some ghosts who brainwash our players that body building is the key to success on the pitch.
Rashford, Elanga, Depay, Lukaku, and now McTominay

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Our club is surely haunted by some ghosts who brainwash our players that body building is the key to success on the pitch.
I think they're partially influenced by Ronaldo but they miss all the other aspects of how he conditions himself outside of weight lifting.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No, our fans don't know where to draw the line, somehow thinks working on fitness is some bad thing just because results are poor.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
A conditioning that is geared toward endurance will see you lose wait. For example in cycling three guys with the same height but having different goals will have different body mass, a sprinter will be heavier than a puncheur who is himself heavier than a climber because they are not conditioned to do the same type of things.

If you want guys that are able to press and run at high intensity for a while, you don't want them to be like McTominay currently is, unless they are using particular substances.

Status
Not open for further replies.