Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I agree Scotty's doing a thankless job playing DM.

I still think Matic for 60min and Pogba for 30min (before his concentration lapses) would be our best DM, but I can't really complain when Scotty is the only player in our squad that can play that position for 90 mins.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Your point is based on a faulty premise - that Scott isn't good at pressing because he hasn't done it much this season.

He's been given the deeper sitting role under Ole, even though its not his area of expertise, because he's the best we've got there (except for Matic who has no legs left.
It's not just this season. Indeed he's improved a bit this season (improved from 'very poor' to just 'poor').

Scott has had the odd game here and there where he's actually done it well which is what gives me hope that with proper coaching he might develop that side of his game significantly. But in the majority of his games in his career so far he tends to sit off, give the opposition plenty of time to pick their pass, and then ball watches as his direct opponent runs off him into more space. Hell, it was only a couple of games ago that we had a fairly well discussed situation where Scott just jogged back after his opponent got past him, forcing Fred to come sprinting back from the other side of midfield to try to put Scott's man under pressure as he approached the box. I'm pretty sure he did the same thing at one point against Crystal Palace and it was one of the attackers who had to sprint past Scott to put pressure on the ball carrier.

The sad thing is that, despite that, he's still been better and more dependable at doing his job than Pogba and Matic.

The Hilton

It's not just this season. Indeed he's improved a bit this season (improved from 'very poor' to just 'poor').

Scott has had the odd game here and there where he's actually done it well which is what gives me hope that with proper coaching he might develop that side of his game significantly. But in the majority of his games in his career so far he tends to sit off, give the opposition plenty of time to pick their pass, and then ball watches as his direct opponent runs off him into more space. Hell, it was only a couple of games ago that we had a fairly well discussed situation where Scott just jogged back after his opponent got past him, forcing Fred to come sprinting back from the other side of midfield to try to put Scott's man under pressure as he approached the box. I'm pretty sure he did the same thing at one point against Crystal Palace and it was one of the attackers who had to sprint past Scott to put pressure on the ball carrier.

The sad thing is that, despite that, he's still been better and more dependable at doing his job than Pogba and Matic.
Again you're taking his actions as a lack of ability, rather than due to his instructions.

Still, you have your opinion, exaggerated as it is, and nothing I, or any of the multiple managers who relied on him, have to say will change that. Perhaps Rangnick will set him free to press like Fred is allowed to, and then we'll be able to see if it's ability or previous instructions.

romufc

In a disciplined 4-2-2-2 formation Van de Beek could easily play as 6 alongside Fred, especially against a team that sits back. In fact it's the perfect role for him given his strengths. You make out like McTominay didn't make any forward runs himself v Palace, he did and when he did Fred took turn sitting deeper. The same would happen if a disciplined VDB played there as well, all you have to do is let him know he has to play behind possession instead of in front of it like he has every time he's played in the double pivot. He can do everything McTominay can and better, so there's no way McTominay can play that position and VDB can't.
Its actually worrying that fans thing Donny can play as a holding midfielder. perfect for him? you clearly don't know Donny's strengths then?

Donny likes to go forward, make forward runs, get in the box, all the traits that you dont want your holding midfielders to have. So you tell a player to not play to his strengths?

luke511

Its actually worrying that fans thing Donny can play as a holding midfielder. perfect for him? you clearly don't know Donny's strengths then?

Donny likes to go forward, make forward runs, get in the box, all the traits that you dont want your holding midfielders to have. So you tell a player to not play to his strengths?
Worrying :lol: worry away mate.. His passing involving one touch football and his press resistance are his main strengths, along with his clinical dutch style finesse shooting. His ability to transition from defence to attack with quick one touch football is a big asset from the deep positions, so yeah it's definitely playing to his strengths. He gets a foot in and tackles up to standard for a midfielder in that position too, and his positioning is superior to McTominay where he's always moving, asking for the ball or instructing players where to play it from deep. Your only argument for him not being able to play as a no.6/no.8 in a 4-2-2-2 is because of his forward runs, when a coach like Rangnick can simply discipline/coach his game in that position like he has done with McFred after 1 game.

romufc

Worrying :lol: worry away mate.. His passing involving one touch football and his press resistance are his main strengths, along with his clinical dutch style finesse shooting. His ability to transition from defence to attack with quick one touch football is a big asset from the deep positions, so yeah it's definitely playing to his strengths. He gets a foot in and tackles up to standard for a midfielder in that position too, and his positioning is superior to McTominay where he's always moving, asking for the ball or instructing players where to play it from deep. Your only argument for him not being able to play as a no.6/no.8 in a 4-2-2-2 is because of his forward runs, when a coach like Rangnick can simply discipline/coach his game in that position like he has done with McFred after 1 game.
I guess then if Rangnick can have Donny playing in the 6/8 we don't need to sign another midfielder? Donny and Fred should be able to play that role right?

So does that mean if he doesn't play there, Rangnick is a poor coach?

luke511

I guess then if Rangnick can have Donny playing in the 6/8 we don't need to sign another midfielder? Donny and Fred should be able to play that role right?

So does that mean if he doesn't play there, Rangnick is a poor coach?
Obviously we need another midfielder, Matic needs replacing doesn't he? This is about McTominay, a no.8 playing as a 6, getting all the minutes showing his technical limitations on a regular basis whilst Van de Beek, a technically superior no.8 that can also play as a 6, doesn't get a sniff and deserves a fair chance after playing well in that position every time he's been used there.

lex talionis

McTominay is another player who's still young enough, 24, to develop into a consistently decent midfielder. It hasn't happened yet, however.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Happy birthday Scotty boy:wenger:

May he grow in to another gear and improve further

bugmat

I was surprised how much stick he was getting after the game vs Palace. I thought it was his best performance in a while. He's like Fred not really played in his position. he was originally a second striker who had a growth spurt which Mourinho then took to use as a chess piece in his "See I play young players" fiasco with the media. It's why he can score the odd goal - he used to do it as a youth player. Then for Scotland again because of his growth spurt he's being played constantly as a CB. It can't have been great for his development as a CM. His positional awareness can be really lacking (on but especially off the ball) but I think this type of coaching, in the RR system will help him develop, and get even better than he was under Ole when he showed his best form in 2019/20.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
25 years old - not good enough. Bench fodder.

RepardReece

Interested to see if he can develop under Rangnick, thought his performance was OK against Palace, made too many errors for my liking.

But he definitely won't be able to hide behind an opposing player anymore under RR like he's done under Ole for 3 seasons.

Let's see.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
I feel that with some 'proper' coaching, there will be significant improvements made to his game.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I feel that with some 'proper' coaching, there will be significant improvements made to his game.
This - we played 2 'playmakers' in DMF yesterday and neither of them looked any more or less comfortable than McTominay in receiving the ball deep areas, circulating the play etc. One of the guys played a sloppy pass resulting in a goal and the other was anonymous despite his technical talents.

Once our attacking and build-up patterns are developed, players like Fred, AWB, McTominay, Lindelof, Sancho who may have looked out of place in our individualist system will begin to flourish.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
This - we played 2 'playmakers' in DMF yesterday and neither of them looked any more or less comfortable than McTominay in receiving the ball deep areas, circulating the play etc. One of the guys played a sloppy pass resulting in a goal and the other was anonymous despite his technical talents.

Once our attacking and build-up patterns are developed, players like Fred, AWB, McTominay, Lindelof, Sancho who may have looked out of place in our individualist system will begin to flourish.
They're not "playmakers", one's a no10 having playing LW for the last 6 years, the other is an attacking minded b2b midfielder.

Fred has also made sloppy passes resulting in goals.
Scott never has, because he's never there to receive the ball. It shows in the number of touches he has. It's the same with people complementing De Gea for his world class saves when he's coin flipping 20 situations every game by not taking 3 steps forward and collecting.

Fred playing with Scott, Donny playing with Mata is like being a one man midfield in possession.

Bobski

He was excellent today, passed between the lines progressively all game, was a physical presence throughout, and put in the ball that led to the pen.

Will he get any credit? If Donny put on a performance like that...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good game, arguably our best outfield player today.

De God was the best.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Beautiful performance today.

My MOTM. Was passing the ball with accuracy, speed and ease.

Hopefully this is starting to show what coaching can do to a player, even if it's only been a week.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Probably his best performance of the season, I thought he was good today.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Really good. The play forward message seems to be sinking in fast with Scott. For large parts of the game he was the only one pushing forward passes.

kundalini

Created good chances for Ronaldo and Fernandes. Cut out at least one dangerous cross. Passing seemed decent.

Not easy for the midfield when the attacking players were absolutely terrible.

Lewnited

Much improved in the past few games, feels like him and Fred have really taken well to a new set of instructions.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
First half was good. Was making himself available and making good forward passes, the things that he (rightfully) gets most of the criticism for. More of that please Scotty.

Second half he drifted out of it though and reverted to more how he's been playing.

lost7

I was so impressed, his ball progression today was splendid. Let's hope he can continue this way because that was a complete midfield performance

M Bison

Supports
York City
Thought he played very well, gets slated in the matchday thread and a lot of the criticism is undeserved imo.

BehemothTerror

After De Gea best player of ours on the pitch performance wise. Harried Norwich relentlessly and did a shift defensively. Some of his passing was definitely better today, only negative is a couple of shots he took on straight at Norwich players when maybe he could have held up the ball instead. Otherwise 8/10

lawliet354

Best player at first half, doing everything a good midfielder does. Must be disappointed 3 forwards he's playing with tonight plays like a drunkard.

I hope this kind of performance become regularity instead of rarity

Sylar

Best game since Europa final

He got on the ball and his passing was good

Abraxas

One of the few good players for us. Him, DeGea and a few other "okay" performances.

MattofManchester

I though he was offensively good, but him and Fred are played through far too easily in midfield and are a large problem why we concede so many chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.