Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What are you talking about??

Go and watch City-United 4:1 match, he's jogging for the second goal and fourth. While everyone else are busting their gut trying to prevent City from scoring he's strolling around like it's some kind of testimonial match.

Burnely-United 1:1- he mistimes his tackle alongside Maguire but instead of running after player he joggs in slowmotion and we concede goal and draw the match.

Newcastle 1:1- Varen loses the ball about 40yards from goal, everyone starts to run in defence, but McTominay runs like he has all the time in the world and once again fails to prevent their goal.

Not to mention that horror show he displayed against Watford when he was hauled off at half time because of lack of effort and being completely useless.

Now again, what he has as a player that would qualify him as squad player, since I don't see him being anything close to reliable player who you could call upon when someone from the first team needs rest.

He has good shoot (sometimes) but that's about everything he has in his locker, in all other departmants (passing, awarness, postional play) he's below average.
So you want to pick out one player in some awful performances by the team. You're awesome

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Fletcher was a squad player for a number of years, but he then emerged as a starter and was developing into a top quality midfield player before his illness. McTominay is nowhere near him.
So as he matured he got better, but before that he was a squad player? What a concept? Now step back, read what you wrote again and really think about it for a second

OmarUnited4ever

Fletcher was a baller who had to compete with players like Keane for a bit, Scholes and Carrick, who were the better passers but they had a world class ability, Fletcher, a good passer himself had to compete with that, SAF preferred him in the big PL games against Chelsea and Liverpool, he wasn't a mere squad option, like O'Shea or Smith, he in fact cemented a starting spot but then had that horrible illness.

CloneMC16

Fletcher was top quality at his peak. He was a key player for us. He should never be compared to McTominay. No chance McTominay is getting anywhere near that level. At 25, Fletcher was a far superior player.

edcunited1878

And Fletcher didn't play CB for Scotland, he was a CM...McTominay might be a 3rd CB if the next manager wants to deploy 3 CBs..or can just use a combination of Shaw/Varane/Maguire/Lindelof, which would then push McTominay further behind.

Fred, Garner, at least two new CMs, Hannibal, McTominay. I'd renew Matic for another year or else this team is so young and directionless without a strong senior pro like Matic.

Foxbatt

This pissed me off so much. I remember Gary saying during commentary that there was no forward pass on. The man must be blind.
No. Blind is a much better passer and a footballer than Scott McTominay.

United in sin

Him being starter and playing out of position can't be excuse for jogging around when he should be running and closing player(s) down, hiding behind players so he can't recieve pass or misplacing passes all over the pitch.
Also what would he contribute from bench exactly?
He's one of the laziest players in the team. He surely is 'good' at convincing many that he's the exact opposite. He strolls around when there's danger closeby, hides from responsibility of being on the ball in high pressure situations and fouls players/runs around like an aimless chicken a few times every game to try and appear to be the fearless united DNA archetype. We're not going anywhere with him being treated like a key player

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's hard to argue with that. So I won't. Has he regressed? Without question. Can a manager come in and stop that particular recession? I don't know.

In fairness, he has really done well at centerback, in a three. He gets more time on the ball and he doesn't get pressed as much as he would do if he were in midfield. As for Gilmour and McGinn being better. Yea, they are. You can add McGregor and Jack in with that. So, I'd say that he's Scotland's 5th best central midfielder.

Yeah. McLeish did go the extra yard to meet him. I think Rice's first choice was England and McTominay's first choice was Scotland, so I doubt either player needed much coaxing.
Not surprised by this one bit. 5th choice CM for Scotland yet part of Manchester United's squad is bad enough but first choice here is just taking the piss.

AFC NimbleThumb

He's one of the laziest players in the team. He surely is 'good' at convincing many that he's the exact opposite. He strolls around when there's danger closeby, hides from responsibility of being on the ball in high pressure situations and fouls players/runs around like an aimless chicken a few times every game to try and appear to be the fearless united DNA archetype. We're not going anywhere with him being treated like a key player
Couldn’t have said it better myself. This forum has become obsessed with calling players lazy & telling players they aren’t trying whilst this man has people fooled. The idea of McTominay is far better than the player himself.

amolbhatia50k

And Fletcher didn't play CB for Scotland, he was a CM...McTominay might be a 3rd CB if the next manager wants to deploy 3 CBs..or can just use a combination of Shaw/Varane/Maguire/Lindelof, which would then push McTominay further behind.

Fred, Garner, at least two new CMs, Hannibal, McTominay. I'd renew Matic for another year or else this team is so young and directionless without a strong senior pro like Matic.
We have better options. Shaw would make a pretty good third CB. We have no need for Mctominay there.

I think we have to pick two between Fred, Matic and Mctominay moving forwards as we need to add 2 CMs and it would get too crowded. Personally I think given two additions Matic has more actual quality but I can see the case for Mctominay given he is younger and physically impressive. But in general he's a very poor CM who should be 5th choice /not at United.

ReallyUSA

It's the fact that this guy is still getting major minutes, and we could've had Ander for a bit longer who does what he does better is crazy to me.

edcunited1878

We have better options. Shaw would make a pretty good third CB. We have no need for Mctominay there.

I think we have to pick two between Fred, Matic and Mctominay moving forwards as we need to add 2 CMs and it would get too crowded. Personally I think given two additions Matic has more actual quality but I can see the case for Mctominay given he is younger and physically impressive. But in general he's a very poor CM who should be 5th choice /not at United.
I don't disagree, but I also don't mind having McTominay around especially if he's not on high wages. He's a professional player and can push his teammates in training, then play a defined role in a better team. Jose did this with him and he was fine. He can't be relied upon against top half opposition because he's just not good enough.

McTominay would be 5th choice CM and 5th choice CB. United need to meet home-grown quotas and McTominay would be a fool to leave United if he's getting decent playing time for the club. He'll find it very hard to crack another top half PL club.

edcunited1878

It's the fact that this guy is still getting major minutes, and we could've had Ander for a bit longer who does what he does better is crazy to me.
Herrera didn't want to be here any longer because he felt disrespected by the way Woodward communicated towards him about renewing with the club. His offer was fine, but it was below was PSG offered him. He thought he was more important than he was, but at least United upgraded on him via Fred. Just than United have never replaced Carrick nor committed to playing a collective 3 man midfield.

Chripper

Not surprised by this one bit. 5th choice CM for Scotland yet part of Manchester United's squad is bad enough but first choice here is just taking the piss.
Yeah. I like him, I do, but for Scotland I don't trust him in midfield. He's marginally better than Stuart Armstrong, which isn't saying much, as Armstrong is a 90 minute bombscare.

It's funny, Norwich fans hate Billy Gilmour and don't rate him, but he's lightyears ahead of McTominay.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This pissed me off so much. I remember Gary saying during commentary that there was no forward pass on. The man must be blind.
That became our standard. There is forward pass. Bruno or Pogba (or some other top class midfielder) would try to do killer pass into the space which puts attacker in one on one situation with gk. But our current standard for midfielders (or any other position) is "can he do basic stuff right" and "how much he fights for the badge".

I am "agenda poster" (as @united_99 labelled me) because i can't accept mediocrity regarding United players. Point of being a member of top club is to be level above the rest. To be able to do stuff which average/solid players can't do. Our standard became "he did nothing wrong all game", "not guilty for the goal", "unlucky he didn't score that chance" etc...
I am sorry but United defender or gk must be able to stop which looks as certain goal, United midfielder must be able to do killer pass, United striker must be able to score from half chance. That is my standard for United players.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No.

Fletcher was in the EPL Team of the season in 09/10. He was absolutely brilliant that season. More than equaling Gerrard, Fabregas, etc.

He on his way to being world class. If it wasn't for the illness that befell him, he would've been the heir to the Roy Keane throne.

Taking that one season into consideration. If he gave the consistent performances that he did, and was French or Brazilian, he would be universality lauded.
Slow down there :lol: :lol: :lol: . I loved Fletcher...but you're getting a bit carried away now

Remember the geese

You're kidding right? Fletcher used to get torn apart in these forums. Worse than McTominay...
Yeah, when Fletcher was a young lad. Not at the age of 25. McTominay's age. At that age, Fletcher was a big game player for us and fans were gutted when he was suspended for the Champions League final that year.

amolbhatia50k

You're kidding right? Fletcher used to get torn apart in these forums. Worse than McTominay...
Our standards were much much higher back then and Fletcher was billed as the next great CM. Now we have no standards and Mctominay still sticks out like a sore thumb.

Mainoldo

Fletcher had one good season and was a rotational player when we finally kicked into gear. It’s nothing more than that and I have no interest in relieving it with a b tech McTominay.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Fletcher had one good season and was a rotational player when we finally kicked into gear. It’s nothing more than that and I have no interest in relieving it with a b tech McTominay.
Be careful with what you say. I've been attacked and told that Fletcher was world class before illness took over

Foxbatt

I have no idea why some players are playing for United and McTominay tops that list. Maybe it is Fletcher's influence and I do not know. I would be very disappointed if someone like Ralf accepts that. Maybe the next manager if it is ETH or The Pok would replace him.

Foxbatt

Be careful with what you say. I've been attacked and told that Fletcher was world class before illness took over
Yes and we lost the CL Final to Barca because he was suspended. He certainly was a much better player than McTominay but he was one player than Keane criticized in that interview. He never was world class or even close to it.

L1nk

If people are actually arguiing McTominay is a good player then we as a fanbase deserve everything we are getting. The kind of debate that's only happening because he's an academy player, if he was Johnny Foreigner from another club everyone would have been arguing to get rid of him long ago, it's attitudes like this towards our academy players that's allowed Lingard to stink up the place for so long as well. Should we afford a little more patience to academy players? Yes, but that doesn't mean they should get free reign because of that, if they aren't good enough they should be moved on whilst their stock is high and we move on to the next academy player, simple as that.

McTominay is an absolute nothing player, there are a multitude of midfielders much better than him in the league and at worse clubs. He's one of those has a great game in him one game in every 10-15 games kind of players

United in sin

If people are actually arguiing McTominay is a good player then we as a fanbase deserve everything we are getting. The kind of debate that's only happening because he's an academy player, if he was Johnny Foreigner from another club everyone would have been arguing to get rid of him long ago, it's attitudes like this towards our academy players that's allowed Lingard to stink up the place for so long as well. Should we afford a little more patience to academy players? Yes, but that doesn't mean they should get free reign because of that, if they aren't good enough they should be moved on whilst their stock is high and we move on to the next academy player, simple as that.

McTominay is an absolute nothing player, there are a multitude of midfielders much better than him in the league and at worse clubs. He's one of those has a great game in him one game in every 10-15 games kind of players
I agree with your overall post but Lingard is not a good example. He's been sent on loan and reduced to the bench while constantly getting berated by the majority of the fanbase despite at the very least contributing more than McTominay ever has for united. McTominay's role in the starting 11 is guaranteed

MUFC OK

Fletcher had one decent season, in 2009. When he was suspended for the CL final it was rightly lamented as a blow for the team. Apart from that season he never really deserved to be there.

L1nk

I agree with your overall post but Lingard is not a good example. He's been sent on loan and reduced to the bench while constantly getting berated by the majority of the fanbase despite at the very least contributing more than McTominay ever has for united. McTominay's role in the starting 11 is guaranteed
Maybe, but not exactly contributed much, not only that but I believe if he had a contract with us that wasn't running down he'd be pretty much a starter ahead of Elanga at this point, of that I have no doubt.

MUFC OK

He’s absolutely the weak link in that midfield. A modern 6 is one of the most important roles on the pitch and he’s so far below what we need in there, it’s painful to watch. The absolute priority position that we need to fill in the summer. Until then I'd play Matic, he's levels above Scott even now.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He'd be a very good player for mid-table side.
If we can generate some interest in the summer I think we should ideally cash in on him.
I think we could make 20 million on him. Good, established PL player with a great attitude.

United in sin

If we can generate some interest in the summer I think we should ideally cash in on him.
I think we could make 20 million on him. Good, established PL player with a great attitude.
He's no better than Sean Longstaff. Championship players. I can see him at Burnely. Right down at the bottom scrapping for everything

MUFC OK

You say that but then a midtable side is Wolves: Moutinho, Neves, Leicester: Tielemans, Ndidi, Villa: Luiz, McGinn (who I think would excel at utd btw).

I think he'd be lucky to start for another team in the PL were he not at United.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yes and we lost the CL Final to Barca because he was suspended. He certainly was a much better player than McTominay but he was one player than Keane criticized in that interview. He never was world class or even close to it.
Somebody here yelled at me and said he was all set to be the next Roy Keane when illness took over

edgecutter

He's slowly turning into a "lingard" with so many pundits believing he's still a youngster. He's 25 and what we are seeing from him is his level. He simply isn't good enough and it's debatable if he would make Chelsea's, Liverpool's or city's bench never mind challenging for a starting spot.

Chripper

Slow down there :lol: :lol: :lol: . I loved Fletcher...but you're getting a bit carried away now
In fairness, I did say "heading towards". ;)

It's a hypothetical one, but his evolution was such that yes, I think he would've hit Roy Keane levels.

One game in that season against Arsenal sticks our. He was bossing the entire Arsenal midfield. I Wouldn't be surprised if they had two priests, a young one and an old one, waiting in the changing room at full time. :p

It's a shame that his illness struck him down when it did.

Chripper

he was one player than Keane criticized in that interview. He never was world class or even close to it.
People use this as a way of denigrating Fletcher.

Roy Keane complimented Darren Fletcher, both publicly and privately dozens of times (Which Keane has said). So why should one criticism overshadow dozens of compliments?

Also, people seem to forget that Roy Keane was in Darren Fletcher's ear for years (when Dletcher was 17/18) trying to convince him to play for the Republic of Ireland. Yeah, Keane clearly didn't rate him....

AFC NimbleThumb

This is exactly why we as a fanbase deserve all the crap we’re being served up.

This is the McTominay thread & the best his apologists can come up with is a lazy player comparison which has now suddenly become a bash of a player that literally has done more for United on the pitch than McAverage will ever provide.

Rate Fletcher, don’t rate Fletcher. I’m not sure what the hell how good he was for how long has to do with, this guy. . .

The solution, sell McT & let’s have a legends thread for Fletcher where we can debate his career to our hearts content. The act of defaming players that performed at the club in defence of this current bunch of frauds is a stain on this forum, Scott wouldn’t have gotten out of the academy.

Status
Not open for further replies.