Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He's good enough to be a squad player. Problem is he's a starter and playing in the wrong position...
Him being starter and playing out of position can't be excuse for jogging around when he should be running and closing player(s) down, hiding behind players so he can't recieve pass or misplacing passes all over the pitch.
Also what would he contribute from bench exactly?

Asger

He's a lot better than many give him credit for, but still not great. He should be a squad player. Like Fletcher was...
he isn't even 1% of the player Fletcher was. I have never understand the McTominay hype.

Remember even in u23 he was mostly used as a striker because we had better midfielders than him and all our strikers were loaned out.

I'm not even sure Championship teams that aim to promote to PL would use him because he offers very little.

Even Scotland are using him as one of the 3rd Centre backs right? Then clearly not even the best Scottish midfielder in the national team.

James35

Hopefully whoever the next manager is sees through the bullshit cloud and keeps him on bench at best. Never have I seen a more overrated player…and we have a fair few over the years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's a lot better than many give him credit for, but still not great. He should be a squad player. Like Fletcher was...
Actually Fred is at that level. McTominay is the guy who is deemed good enough because of a bit of aggression or that one driving run he went on 15 games back. Hes a technically deficient footballer for this level. He'd do fine at Burnley or Palace.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He always goes behind players when he should be making himself available to take a pass.

As average players go he is bang in the middle. There is no chance a team with him as the main midfielder wins any major trophy.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He's good enough to be a squad player. Problem is he's a starter and playing in the wrong position...
I am always confused when people say that x player is not good enough to be starter but he is good enough to be squad player. What is your definition of squad player anyway? Someone who only adds depth in a team? For that you can use literally anybody.
Squad rotation player will play 25-30 games per season. In some he will start, in some he will be impact sub. Now, if he adds nothing (like McT does), then what is the point in having him?

James35

I am always confused when people say that x player is not good enough to be starter but he is good enough to be squad player. What is your definition of squad player anyway? Someone who only adds depth in a team? For that you can use literally anybody.
Squad rotation player will play 25-30 games per season. In some he will start, in some he will be impact sub. Now, if he adds nothing (like McT does), then what is the point in having him?
I think in Scott’s case it is the best we can hope for. No way they sell our Scotty from the academy. It will be easier to take him coming off bench or starting v Leeds instead of starting every game.

I would have him sold in a heart beat personally.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think in Scott’s case it is the best we can hope for. No way they sell our Scotty from the academy. It will be easier to take him coming off bench or starting v Leeds instead of starting every game.

I would have him sold in a heart beat personally.
If our next manager is ETH then he is gone. Not next year but in two years he is off. Passion and desire over skill standard, which Ole tried to set, will go to history.
Can you see McT or AWB doing dozens short and quick passes? For that you need to have ball control, technique and sense for positioning.

Revaulx

That’s a good point.

Scott has had plenty of decent games for us, in which he’s shown more than enough to be a useful squad player. He’s also had plenty of stinkers, Saturday being a typical example.

Surely you need squad/rotational options to be at least reliable? He’s anything but that. I’m afraid that he’s developed an unjustified reputation for being a solid player whose grit and commitment makes up for his lack of silky skills. It really doesn’t.

AFC NimbleThumb

The Fletcher slander needs to stop. Prime Fletcher walks into this team & makes it better. McAverage can’t lace his boots.

You exceed your nonsense in every thread.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The Fletcher slander needs to stop. Prime Fletcher walks into this team & makes it better. McAverage can’t lace his boots.

You exceed your nonsense in every thread.
I don't know when that comparism started. And why? Because they are both Scottish? And tall?
Except that they are not similiar at all.

Jackal981

This is because he was playing as a 6 and not in his so called preferred role as an 8...

How can anyone stick for a guy who can't even successfully pass sideways.
Playing in different role has made his passing become shite its like FIFA ! :lol:

Hughes35

He's a great athlete and has good physicality, he's just not very good at the football part.

His passing is so poor for a midfielder at this level. I'd keep him as a squad player for games where you want to break up play and have a battle. Other than that, he's not good enough,

amolbhatia50k

I don't know when that comparism started. And why? Because they are both Scottish? And tall?
It's not just that. With anyone that is below the level required you have tons of people claiming that he could be a 'decent squad player' because of effort and running - see Dan James as well. They don't realize that clubs that have big ambitions need a certain level of footballing quality from even their squad players. Top teams whether it be Madrid, City, Bayern, Liverpool whoever, they don't have a CM who just runs and puts in a shift but can barely pass the football. And if they do he won't last long. Same with wingers, no top team has a generic short quick winger who can barely beat a man or out a good pass.

Fletcher and Park were excellent footballers. Comparing sub standard players to them does them a disservice.

AFC NimbleThumb

It’s just plain lazy. If someone genuinely believes McT is like Fletcher then I simply can’t take their opinion on anything football seriously.
Good point. What’s the point of a squad option that you don’t believe is good enough to start games. Say your 1st choice drops out injured in a big game & your replacement is the man that does this. . .
He's a great athlete and has good physicality, he's just not very good at the football part.

His passing is so poor for a midfielder at this level. I'd keep him as a squad player for games where you want to break up play and have a battle. Other than that, he's not good enough,
The notion we should keep players around to ‘break things up’ is exactly why this guy should be first out the door. Should an EtH come in I’d suspect we’ll be playing the same way game in game out so for all the bluster he provides his technical deficiencies are too vast.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
A player who can rotate into the squad and give others rest. He's not good enough to be in the first 11 but he can do a job when needed. The biggest problem for McT is that he is played out of position. He's a #8 not a #6

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Actually Fred is at that level. McTominay is the guy who is deemed good enough because of a bit of aggression or that one driving run he went on 15 games back. Hes a technically deficient footballer for this level. He'd do fine at Burnley or Palace.
Since moving to the #8 Fred has really impressed me. I'd go as far as to say he's been the best midfielder on our team since that move. Problem was, much like McT, he isn't a #6 so the 4-2-3-1 suited neither of them. Problem is that while Fred has been set free to play a little higher up the pitch, McT is still playing in the #6 and that position just doesn't suit him

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
he isn't even 1% of the player Fletcher was. I have never understand the McTominay hype.

Remember even in u23 he was mostly used as a striker because we had better midfielders than him and all our strikers were loaned out.

I'm not even sure Championship teams that aim to promote to PL would use him because he offers very little.

Even Scotland are using him as one of the 3rd Centre backs right? Then clearly not even the best Scottish midfielder in the national team.
Or perhaps he's a good squad player

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Him being starter and playing out of position can't be excuse for jogging around when he should be running and closing player(s) down, hiding behind players so he can't recieve pass or misplacing passes all over the pitch.
Also what would he contribute from bench exactly?
WTF are you talking about? If anything, he runs around too much. That's why he can't play as a DM. He doesn't have the discipline to sit in front of the back 4 and is constantly out of position. He also doesn't have the passing range to dictate play from deep

amolbhatia50k

WTF are you talking about? If anything, he runs around too much. That's why he can't play as a DM. He doesn't have the discipline to sit in front of the back 4 and is constantly out of position. He also doesn't have the passing range to dictate play from deep
Doesn't have the ability on the ball to be an 8. Doesn't have the ability in defence to be a 6. All he offers is strength and the odd driving run/well hit shot.

Remember the geese

Fletcher gets romanticized a lot. He was good, and I liked him, but he was a squad player. Nothing wrong with that...
Fletcher was a squad player for a number of years, but he then emerged as a starter and was developing into a top quality midfield player before his illness. McTominay is nowhere near him.

KeanoMagicHat

He's not good enough to be a squad player either, never mind a starter, the point of a good squad player is they come in and your team doesn't get worse. Like Gundogan. He's started 4 of City's last 13 league games, but he's as good as anyone. Comes in and scores in two of those starts, while being miles better than anything we have to offer. He's not good enough for a team with ambitions, full stop. He's played 165 games for United now. That's more than enough evidence.

Doesn't have the ability on the ball to be an 8. Doesn't have the ability in defence to be a 6. All he offers is strength and the odd driving run/well hit shot.
Darron Gibson level.

Jaykespeare88

THAT VIDEO!
All this chat, guy does this 2 or 3 times EVERY game, clear as day he is not good enough. There was another one in the second half half, did well to latch onto a square pass, drive forward and then laid on an easy pass that was too short out to the left. Infuriating, Fred isn't much better but at least he affects a game.

AFC NimbleThumb

Fletcher gets romanticized a lot. He was good, and I liked him, but he was a squad player. Nothing wrong with that...
Fletcher, like most things old United, may well get romanticised but you’ve no clue what a ‘squad player’ is if you define that by Darren Fletcher. That said, if Fletcher is the barometer then McT is miles off that standard. He’ll be nowhere near a successful United squad.

eire-red

I think he's done here under the next manager. I was wrong about McTominay, and jury is still out on Fred for me, but I'd definitely be holding onto Fred over McTominay after this season.

I think McTominay was good under Ole as we were building into something and the pressure was a little under the radar. As soon as we were expected to challenge, I felt he really crumbled this season.

In fairness, I don't think he's suited to No.6 at all, which hasn't helped. But he lacks too many of the fundamental skills required to be a CM at a club with any serious aspirations.

Good lad though, but we should sell now while we can still get a decent fee.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
What are you talking about??

Go and watch City-United 4:1 match, he's jogging for the second goal and fourth. While everyone else are busting their gut trying to prevent City from scoring he's strolling around like it's some kind of testimonial match.

Burnely-United 1:1- he mistimes his tackle alongside Maguire but instead of running after player he joggs in slowmotion and we concede goal and draw the match.

Newcastle 1:1- Varen loses the ball about 40yards from goal, everyone starts to run in defence, but McTominay runs like he has all the time in the world and once again fails to prevent their goal.

Not to mention that horror show he displayed against Watford when he was hauled off at half time because of lack of effort and being completely useless.

Now again, what he has as a player that would qualify him as squad player, since I don't see him being anything close to reliable player who you could call upon when someone from the first team needs rest.

He has good shoot (sometimes) but that's about everything he has in his locker, in all other departmants (passing, awarness, postional play) he's below average.

Last edited:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
In the first of those clips, he receives the ball under pressure, turns 2 players and then dribbles past the third. The subsequent pass is poor, although if not for the receiver slipping, it wouldve probably reached him (it was behind him, although if it hadnt been then I suspect the defender wouldve reached it). Of course, none of that is in the clip as it doesnt suit the agenda. Much like the other poster saying something like "In the youth team he got moved up front because he wasnt good enough in midfield" when the truth is simply that he played as a striker as a youngster, and that young players often get moved around into different positions. Its nothing but agenda.

This place loves its groupthink. Clearly if you repeat "McTominay is shit on the ball" enough times, people just start taking it as fact, even though it is absolute nonsense.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
A player who can rotate into the squad and give others rest. He's not good enough to be in the first 11 but he can do a job when needed. The biggest problem for McT is that he is played out of position. He's a #8 not a #6
What job exactly?

Canagel

In the first of those clips, he receives the ball under pressure, turns 2 players and then dribbles past the third. The subsequent pass is poor, although if not for the receiver slipping, it wouldve probably reached him (it was behind him, although if it hadnt been then I suspect the defender wouldve reached it). Of course, none of that is in the clip as it doesnt suit the agenda. Much like the other poster saying something like "In the youth team he got moved up front because he wasnt good enough in midfield" when the truth is simply that he played as a striker as a youngster, and that young players often get moved around into different positions. Its nothing but agenda.

This place loves its groupthink. Clearly if you repeat "McTominay is shit on the ball" enough times, people just start taking it as fact, even though it is absolute nonsense.
Carrying a ball past a couple of players occasionally doesn't actually mean anything if you can't pass the ball. His passing in both moves are shocking and it isnt even the first time because he has kicked the ball out of play more than once before. The player slipping in the first move doesnt change anything because it has gone to feet when it should be played in front of the reciever without him breaking stride for it. It might look small but by ignoring this key detail the momentum of the whole move has been disrupted and potentially a goal scoring chance has been missed. It's a shit pass.
Pogba has also made a good run off the shoulder right in front him and is asking for the ball, if slipped through would been 1 vs 1 with the keeper but you would actually need vision to do that. So yeah McTominay is shit on the ball and the video evidence is factual proof of it.

clarkydaz

Carrying a ball past a couple of players occasionally doesn't actually mean anything if you can't pass the ball. His passing in both moves are shocking and it isnt even the first time because he has kicked the ball out of play more than once before. The player slipping in the first move doesnt change anything because it has gone to feet when it should be played in front of the reciever without him breaking stride for it. It might look small but by ignoring this key detail the momentum of the whole move has been disrupted and potentially a goal scoring chance has been missed. It's a shit pass.
Pogba has also made a good run off the shoulder right in front him and is asking for the ball, if slipped through would been 1 vs 1 with the keeper but you would actually need vision to do that. So yeah McTominay is shit on the ball and the video evidence is factual proof of it.
Notice Neville on commentary immediately blames having no centre forward for McT messing up the pass. As if Pogba wasnt making a run as a striker would. its pathetic

Chripper

He's already played under three different managers and has shown zero signs of significant development or improvement on his shortcomings. What more do we want?

He's been shoehorned into the Scotland NT and deployed in a role that doesn't even augment his 'strengths' because they're better players in midfield like Gilmour and McGinn. McTominay has absolutely nothing on these players.

From my recollection Sohthgate merely sent him a text about his England chances whereas Alex McCleish met him in person in Manchester to 'persuade' him to declare for Scotland. This is based on Brian McClairs account of events. Southgate instead focused his energy on getting Declan Rice to turn his back on the republic of Ireland. Well that's how Roy Keane probably viewed it! Must be nice to be McTominay, pushed forward without merit at club and national level
It's hard to argue with that. So I won't. Has he regressed? Without question. Can a manager come in and stop that particular recession? I don't know.

In fairness, he has really done well at centerback, in a three. He gets more time on the ball and he doesn't get pressed as much as he would do if he were in midfield. As for Gilmour and McGinn being better. Yea, they are. You can add McGregor and Jack in with that. So, I'd say that he's Scotland's 5th best central midfielder.

Yeah. McLeish did go the extra yard to meet him. I think Rice's first choice was England and McTominay's first choice was Scotland, so I doubt either player needed much coaxing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
For most of his time here, yes. But Fletch certainly stepped up for the 18 months or so before the illness and was much more than just a squad player. And people forget he was still only 24 when he made that step up, which is about the age that central midfielders normally develop.

edcunited1878

Fred shouldn't be compared to McTominay, it has to stop and it's been clear Fred is the superior player for at least the past 2 seasons.

"McFred" exists only because it shows who the central midfield pairing is, even if it shouldn't be a pair (it should be a trio), and then McTominay shouldn't be a starter nor fringe starter. For some physical matches he's useful (Burnley, Leeds), but wouldn't surprise to see Garner just walk over him next season.

jem

He could never have predicted RvP would hit a wall so quickly but that definitely fecked us. Likewise Rooney ageing so poorly. Although we weren’t going to get much more service out of them tbf. Which Fergie must have known.

What really fecked us (and he wouldn’t have predicted) was the fact that not one of Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rafael, Anderson, Kagawa, Cleverley, Hernandez or Nani would out anywhere near as good as the players he had assumed/hoped they would replace. That was a straight up catastrophe. The step down in quality from the spine of our title winning squad to that lot was enormous and we’ve been feeling the consequences of that ever since. Rooney and RvP bizarrely both going directly from 29 to 40 years old only added to the mess.
agreed. RVP was lookingnowhere near washed up when fergie left but the decline was rapid. I honestly think this club has been cursed since fergie left: Mata, Di Maria, Pogba, Sanchez…all world beaters before coming here (or returning in Pogba’s case); varying degrees of busts after coming here.

Chripper

No.

Fletcher was in the EPL Team of the season in 09/10. He was absolutely brilliant that season. More than equaling Gerrard, Fabregas, etc.

He on his way to being world class. If it wasn't for the illness that befell him, he would've been the heir to the Roy Keane throne.

Taking that one season into consideration. If he gave the consistent performances that he did, and was French or Brazilian, he would be universality lauded.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s funny I’m sure I posted similar replies to people claiming Cleverley is a good squad player. Like you said, squad players push 25-30 games per season! Even more with 5 subs. He isn’t good enough for that

Status
Not open for further replies.