5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCPhillips

Number 1 player to be replaced. Fred wasn't much better yesterday.

You can see that in 'triangles' he hides behind their player in the middle, he doesn't find the space and doesn't move between the lines to create any. I stick by the fact that he doesn't want the ball.

Any number of our players that played on tour would have been better yesterday. Fred is not a dlp or defensive mid and McTominay isn't a technical number 8.

Newtonius

My god even in a rubbish team performance he was prominently diabolical, really would struggle to find a worse 70 minutes of football he gave it away more than he passed to a United player. Seriously if he plays again any time soon then ETH will get no sympathy Donny Garner and even Zidane cant be any worse.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
It's just as much Van De Beek's fault for being worse than him in the eyes of 3 different managers. McTominay is a free academy graduate on low wages. His place, by rights, in the squad is as a bench option unless all the big money signings shit the bed. That's what ended happening (Pogba £90m, Fred £50, VdB £40m and Matic £30m).

If he's first choice at the moment, the next signing will take him down to second choice. And the options beneath him will leave the club before him.

Sylar

My god even in a rubbish team performance he was prominently diabolical, really would struggle to find a worse 70 minutes of football he gave it away more than he passed to a United player. Seriously if he plays again any time soon then ETH will get no sympathy Donny Garner and even Zidane cant be any worse.
I agree with Eth words that if we can't sign the right player we would bring them through
Think it's easier to get a youth player to do what you want then an established one
However let's see because us as fans have seen enough of mctominay to know we won't progress with him

Really think we can't do any worse with giving youth a chance now and excusing their mistakes for now if the positives outweigh them

IrishRedDevil

What an absolute fraud.

Remember this is the wannabe who wore his collar up versus Atletico Madrid :lol: Thank goodness he didn't have it up yesterday while giving that 1/10 clown performance.

Can't believe we let Herrera leave and ended up with this numpty. Even Fellani was much more useful.

Mike Smalling

Lucky not to have been sent off here

Very similar to AWB's red card vs. Young Boys a few years ago. Another ref would have sent him off.

Also, the level of ineptitude in getting into that tackle is mind-boggling.

KeanoMagicHat

It's just as much Van De Beek's fault for being worse than him in the eyes of 3 different managers. McTominay is a free academy graduate on low wages. His place, by rights, in the squad is as a bench option unless all the big money signings shit the bed. That's what ended happening (Pogba £90m, Fred £50, VdB £40m and Matic £30m).

If he's first choice at the moment, the next signing will take him down to second choice. And the options beneath him will leave the club before him.
I would say no it's United's fault for buying Van de Beek in the same position as Bruno as poor recruitment when Bruno plays every game, the fact is managers don't trust Van de Beek in deep midfield and consider him and McTominay completely different players for different positions, and he didn't play there before we bought him anyway. His skills for Ajax were in finding spaces in between the lines.

JeffFromHK

The most annoying thing about McTominay is that he seems to possess some sort of dark magic to make managers, including top ones, like him and play him. every though majority of fanbase feel agonized watching him week him week out
Fergie likes him
Mourinho likes him
Ole likes him
Rangnick likes him
seems like ETH likes him

He must had been the best teachera' pet in the classroom back in school days.

MUFC OK

I take absolutely no joy in being proven right about McTominay. He's so far below the required standard I hope we don't see him starting a game again any time soon.

MUFC OK

Only completed 8 passes in the first half. Ended the game with 66% pass completion.

cletus7

Shameful from both McTominay and Fred, really.
These numbers need to be taken into context. I wouldn’t have said Fernandes did well at progressing the ball given large number of bad passes.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
He is one in the long line of mediocrity we have been nurturing in the last few years....be it players or managers. Players like Maguire, Bissaka, Dalot etc....should never play for us if we are to come up as a major force ever again. Of course if our goal is 6-8th places every season then......

RedDevilQuebecois

I’d be amazed if he gets dropped, his height and lack of other options make him a guaranteed starter all season. It’s ludicrous and potential career suicide for ETH but predictably inevitable.
1) Screw his height. Unless you're a goalkeeper or a CB, height means next to nothing.

2) I'd rather see James Garner, who played a grand total of 49 matches - including 41 in the Championship for Forest last season, on the field rather than persist with that lunky waste of space.

Arth_

The most annoying thing about McTominay is that he seems to possess some sort of dark magic to make managers, including top ones, like him and play him. every though majority of fanbase feel agonized watching him week him week out
Fergie likes him
Mourinho likes him
Ole likes him
Rangnick likes him
seems like ETH likes him

He must had been the best teachera' pet in the classroom back in school days.
It's almost like these professional managers know more than just your another Dave from Twitter.

Stacks

I'm Scottish and I have a high opinion of Steve Clarke and the innovation of how he set up the team. It's not because Scott McTominay is a crap midfielder that he is put in defence. I see it as comparable to Pep Guardiola using Javi Martinez as a centre back at Bayern Munich or the suggestion we've seen recently that Xavi is considering using Frenkie De Jong as a centre back at Barcelona if he stays.
Bayern and Barca have vastly better CM options so it's not as big a loss. Imagine 2004 or 2005 Liverpool playing Gerrard in defence. I expect a Man Utd midfielder to be a key midfielder for Scotland

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Think the Fred as holding midfielder experiment only lasted for 45 minutes and will not be repeated again, given our second half performance and Ten Hag's post-match comments.

With another midfielder obviously coming in and Fred no longer a feasible option in front of the defence, you've got to think McTominay's days as a regular are numbered.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I still have a small hope that he’ll be sold before the end of the month. I’m basing that solely on the hope that Ten Hag is not blind and according to what everyone writes, wants good footballers. Despite the evidence to the contrary, part of me still cannot accept that he rates him as a player at all. And if he does, then I don’t rate him as a manager.

georgipep

The said Brazil international doesn't play deep lying playmaker for Brazil. I'm only saying the McFred partnership needs to die and get replaced by something that looks functional.
Well, Fred certainly doesn't play deep lying playmaker for United too. And neither does or would Iqbal.

It is obvious Fred and McT aren't Ten Hag's perfect midfielders but I still would expect them to do a better job than an academy product with zero professional experience

Teja

Well, Fred certainly doesn't play deep lying playmaker for United too. And neither does or would Iqbal.

It is obvious Fred and McT aren't Ten Hag's perfect midfielders but I still would expect them to do a better job than an academy product with zero professional experience
Don't give me technicalities mate. Very specifically, During build up:

Fred is the deepest of our midfielders and his job is to drop between the split CBs to receive the ball and do something productive with it.

Iqbal would do the exact same thing for us.

I'd call that a DLP.

Many a young player has burst on to the scene (most recently Rashford, Greenwood etc). I'd love to know if you think any young players' careers were ruined because they were given playing time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

That’s exactly what McTominay was the other day. Now he has a few years experience of being a poor player, well done. This is the mentality that lets 19 year old Pogba’s leave for free and would see Gavi and Pedri on loan at Preston.

AndySmith1990

Think the Fred as holding midfielder experiment only lasted for 45 minutes and will not be repeated again, given our second half performance and Ten Hag's post-match comments.

With another midfielder obviously coming in and Fred no longer a feasible option in front of the defence, you've got to think McTominay's days as a regular are numbered.
McTominay's days as a United player should be numbered, nevermind a regular starter. He's a truly terrible footballer who has contributed to our decline. Not his fault of course, he doesn't manage the club

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
McTominay's days as a United player should be numbered, nevermind a regular starter. He's a truly terrible footballer who has contributed to our decline. Not his fault of course, he doesn't manage the club
I agree, but dropping him from the starting eleven would be a good start.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I would bet my house on what McTominay does every time he jostles an opposition player. Every time.

He half arse runs beside them, waits until the oppo passes the ball, and then gives them a light push or shove like an annoying toddler. I'm always looking out for it because it's fecking pathetic. At this point he's just pretending to play football, and he promptly needs to feck off.

I'd also flatten the wee cnut. He's only the "hard man" because he's allegedly Scottish but guaranteed if you whacked him over the head with a pipe fifty or sixty times he'd drop like a Dumfries pisshead after ten pints. I'm proper hard, so I am grrrr

georgipep

That’s exactly what McTominay was the other day. Now he has a few years experience of being a poor player, well done. This is the mentality that lets 19 year old Pogba’s leave for free and would see Gavi and Pedri on loan at Preston.
I don't want to argue about performance evaluations or the subjectivity of that but I trust the manager to know better than me or you on this. And McT and Fred both started. We'll see who plays next game, then the next one, and so on

georgipep

Don't give me technicalities mate. Very specifically, During build up:

Fred is the deepest of our midfielders and his job is to drop between the split CBs to receive the ball and do something productive with it.

Iqbal would do the exact same thing for us.

I'd call that a DLP.

Many a young player has burst on to the scene (most recently Rashford, Greenwood etc). I'd love to know if you think any young players' careers were ruined because they were given playing time.
Let's say we disagree and leave it at that.

The one thing we agree on is that I hope we have a breakout academy player, if that is Iqbal, I'd be super happy.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't want to argue about performance evaluations or the subjectivity of that but I trust the manager to know better than me or you on this. And McT and Fred both started. We'll see who plays next game, then the next one, and so on
I don’t. If a manager picks Scott McTominay every week for Manchester United, even after he has a summer transfer window - he does not know better than me.

And even if McTominay does not play the next game, perhaps the manager realises he was wrong to play him in the first place. In which case, I’d have known that before he did. And if he does pick him, then I know better than him. And we will be outplayed by Brentford, make no mistake.

Robaldo

I understand that people want a better midfielder - I do too - but the criticism of him becomes ugly at times. He's an academy player and you could never question his attitude towards the club.

He's a squad player taking the flak for being a first teamer because the club don't have the nous to sign a better midfielder - bad situation for all involved.

RopersReturn

I’d say Fletcher is likely pushing for McTominay to feature heavily in the first team more than anyone else.

Arth_

I understand that people want a better midfielder - I do too - but the criticism of him becomes ugly at times. He's an academy player and you could never question his attitude towards the club.

He's a squad player taking the flak for being a first teamer because the club don't have the nous to sign a better midfielder - bad situation for all involved.
Because that's what they do. Witch-hunt and scapegoating is bread and butter for this fanbase. Pogba and Lingard are now gone, so it's time to find new targets to hate.

Not only the club is run by the bunch of clowns, but also plenty of them among the people daring to call themselves "supporters".

Tibs

Utter shit, but, he's finished. If ETH doesn't remove him from the team, then the abuse he gets from the crowd will.

Status
Not open for further replies.