5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

Because that's what they do. Witch-hunt and scapegoating is bread and butter for this fanbase. Pogba and Lingard are now gone, so it's time to find new targets to hate.

Not only the club is run by the bunch of clowns, but also plenty of them among the people daring to call themselves "supporters".
This stuff is tedious. McTominay gets stick because he’s shite. This has been the case in the terraces for decades. It’s part and parcel of football.

There is a clear distinction between the nonsense Maguire had to deal with recently (intimidating his family) and calling a spade a spade by saying McTominay is shite.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's not scape-goating when you're a Manchester United central midfield, and you complete under 10 passes in a half. I'd imagine Rodri completes 10 passes in the opening 5 minutes of each match.

hobbers

I understand that people want a better midfielder - I do too - but the criticism of him becomes ugly at times. He's an academy player and you could never question his attitude towards the club.

He's a squad player taking the flak for being a first teamer because the club don't have the nous to sign a better midfielder - bad situation for all involved.
He's not a squad player, he's an SPL player.

Nogho

Trying to remember a single game where he showed world class abilities. A United player should be able to pull that off from time to time. Especially if you consider yourself a regular.

Eplel

Never before in the history of football has a player been so bad in a game, that it inspired his team to make 3 panic buys the very next day.

Oranges038

It's not scape-goating when you're a Manchester United central midfield, and you complete under 10 passes in a half. I'd imagine Rodri completes 10 passes in the opening 5 minutes of each match.
Lukaku got plenty of stick on here for having 1 touch or something.

I can't believe people still defend this guy. He's the antithesis of everything you want from a midfielder if you want to challenge at the top of the league.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I don't know what Ten Hag expected. What does he do in training to deserve a chance? If you can't accurately play a 5 yard pass with no pressure how can you start in midfield for Manchester United? I'd rather he just puts 2 of Garner, Savage, Zidane or Hannibal. At least they have room for improvement and we may get something out of it.

El Jefe

All of a sudden we're being linked with two midfielders. Thank you Scott for putting on a masterpiece of a shit show that convinced EtH that he's doomed with you in the team.

This club is run so poorly that if Mctominay had a blinder yesterday there wouldn't be this much activity. It was a blessing in disguise.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Never before in the history of football has a player been so bad in a game, that it inspired his team to make 3 panic buys the very next day.
Actually not true. I remember the morning after we beat Arsenal 8-2, I woke up and saw Armand Traore who played LB for them walking into the QPR complex for a medical, and Arsene signed a boat load of new dross who I can’t remember. I just remember one of them was Andre Santos, who is possibly the worst player I’ve ever seen in the PL.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because that's what they do. Witch-hunt and scapegoating is bread and butter for this fanbase. Pogba and Lingard are now gone, so it's time to find new targets to hate.

Not only the club is run by the bunch of clowns, but also plenty of them among the people daring to call themselves "supporters".
Not even remotely the same. Firstly, Pogba and Lingard are significantly better at football than Scott. And secondly, half of everything written about them was about everything BUT what happens on the pitch. Pogba was casually abused on here daily even if he had been out injured and hadn’t played for two months. There isn’t anything like that kind of conversation around Scott. Half of the criticisms are even prefixed with some sort of ‘he seems like a good lad’ or ‘I know he gives his all, but’ disclaimer. He’s treated with the fondness of an academy player that Lingard (or even Pogba, also an FAYC winner here) never received.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I actually feel a bit sorry for him now. He's not good enough but always gives his all. It's not his fault the club can't find their backside with both hands. He should have been eased out of the team a long time ago. Leaving him in there every week is just ruining the lad. He could have a semi decent career in a lower PL club. That's just his level.

And Fred isn't much better, if at all. And unlike Scotty he cost us over £50m. Same thing applies to him. Not good enough and never will be.

ThanksBoss26

He wont be here come the end of the window.
On balance I think he will but today is the first time it’s crossed my mind that he might not be. Whitwell put out something today I believe which indicated the pressure of trying to get us back to the top was proving too big for some players and I thought of him.

nau05194

Bayern and Barca have vastly better CM options so it's not as big a loss. Imagine 2004 or 2005 Liverpool playing Gerrard in defence. I expect a Man Utd midfielder to be a key midfielder for Scotland
The outside centre backs are deep lying playmakers in Steve Clarke's system and that's why two of our important players are typically played there. The preferred option on the left is Kieran Tierney and the preferred option on the right is Scott McTominay. The Scottish system is built in part around these two positions.

FatTails

Is any player in our starting 11 less likely to be picked up by a top European team if made available? Genuine question.

wazz786

I think Scott needs to move on to a mid to low table team (that’s us right now!) and we need to recruit players who will improve us.
Simple question, which of the top 4 teams from any major league would Scott get into ?

I doubt any, therefore not good enough!

ti vu

Could have been a red on another day. AWB sent off last season in CL for similar foul. Heavy touch, then stud out of control on opposition's ankle. McTominay's looks even heavier.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Midfielders of similar quality Darron Gibson, Tom Cleverley was eventually let go when will McTominay be at least be dropped to the bench?
Mctominay has a special place here. SAF advised Mourinho to play him more. He's part of the fabric. And bullshit like that.

Serious clubs would have sold him a long time ago.

georgipep

I don’t. If a manager picks Scott McTominay every week for Manchester United, even after he has a summer transfer window - he does not know better than me.

And even if McTominay does not play the next game, perhaps the manager realises he was wrong to play him in the first place. In which case, I’d have known that before he did. And if he does pick him, then I know better than him. And we will be outplayed by Brentford, make no mistake.
Good for you

flappyjay

It's almost like these professional managers know more than just your another Dave from Twitter.
He completed 18 passes in 70 minutes of football and yet you are prepared to die on that hill.

Trex

He usually need three touches to fully control a ball, he doesn't give it away much because he doesn't look to receive in tight spaces (which is just about everywhere with the way teams counter press in the EPL) and because he has a big frame but all fluidity in possession dies with the ball at his feet.
There's the occasional driving run in space and the powerful strike, aside that his frame means he will compete favorably in aerial duels and he also kick ankles and give a mean look.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think all that needs to be said on this has been said now. I think you’d be hard pressed at this point to find anyone left who disagrees with what some of us have been saying for years. It is what it is, and he clearly does the best that he can, but it is just as clear that that isn’t good enough.

The time to speak from now on is to moan if he is again in the lineup on match day, or on September 2nd if he is still a Manchester United player, which I am not confident he will be. This has gone on too long now and I’m hopeful that surely, people at the club see that it has to end this window. Because surely?!!!

Jacob

Amazing how much one performance has escalated the enmity.

KeanoMagicHat

Amazing how much one performance has escalated the enmity.
Last 4 or 5 dreadful games last season had him on the edge, then people thought maybe Ten Hag could get any sort of tune from him with an entire pre-season of coaching but nope.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
And someone said on the caf that he doesn't hide. It's not as if it's 10 passes out of 12 years. The general percentage is ridiculously low, impossible to play football like that

iato89

we should just release him, such a below average player

Status
Not open for further replies.