5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slysi17

Fantastic defensive performance in the second half. You can complain about the lack of control and put that all on him as usual but identify and accept the things he did well today at the same time.
Yeah but he ain't good enough. Needs to be sold at the end of the season. Only reason I would keep him is lack of options.

Abraxas

Not a great influence on the ball but I think he is showing more defensive nous under ETH. He's put in a good shift, broken stuff up - yes he's given away some fouls but you do have to be competitive in this league and back yourself to defend the odd set play.

lysglimt

Scout
Was never a penalty - Adams chested the ball onto his arm from 1 feet away

lex talionis

Got away with a moment of madness on the handball that wasn’t called, but otherwise worked hard defensively. No need to pile on about his lack of ability on the ball.

Slysi17

He was superb today.

This place is a joke with people ignoring what's happening in front of their eyes in their rush to stick the foot in on him. 5.9 average rating is absolutely ridiculous.
My God he was average. Can we stop this he was superb shit

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Very good when it comes to defending, but that's that, he's lacking everything else you need in midfielder, first of all composure with the ball.

The Hilton

The folks criticising him today are outing themselves as having made up their mind no matter what he does.

He's still poor on the ball, but his fighting and grinding was really important for us today against a Southampton team that were trying to wear us down physically.

If he could get his head up and pass he could be a top player.

avgp_1

Very good performance. Playing deeper suits him over the advanced #8 role EtH had him playing in the first two games

Lyng

He was a vital part of that clean sheet today. He is clearly a limited player but he used those limited gifts very well today. One of his best performances for us.

Slysi17

The folks criticising him today are outing themselves as having made up their mind no matter what he does.

He's still poor on the ball, but his fighting and grinding was really important for us today against a Southampton team that were trying to wear us down physically.

If he could get his head up and pass he could be a top player.
He has no chance of being a top player when he is poor on the ball. Seems like him putting in a tackle and running around is enough for some people.

Bobski

[/QUOTE="lex talionis, post: 29394079, member: 109475"]
Got away with a moment of madness on the handball that wasn’t called, but otherwise worked hard defensively. No need to pile on about his lack of ability on the ball.
[/QUOTE]

How was it a moment of madness? How could he have avoided it?

jesperjaap

Think slating him today as some have is unwarranted.

He has played well in the last two games, there is a role for him in cerrtain games I feel.......

But, cant get away from the fact he is a limited footballer, especially for a side wanting to get back towards the top, he isnt the answer. That has been the problem full stop with McFred, both have good attributes....tracking runners, intelligence and passing under any pressure....both though are atrocious.

We certainly still need a second midfield signing in my opinion, but the last two games, I think overall McTominay has done well, one of our better players today.

Other side of the coin, player linke dwith us especially heavily when Ragnick was to be an advisor....thought Bella Kotchap was motm, looks a great prospect

Superunknown

He played well and it was a good overall performance. For the criticism he gets when he doesn't play well, he deserves praise for when it does. Hope the injury he sustained late on doesn't prove to be a bad one. Looked pretty grim on the replays, but he continued playing.

Thiagoal

He did what his abilities allowed him to do which is heads down, defend, tackle & pass it off. Casemiro is the way forward who does everything McT can do plus more
Lack of height would be the only area I’d disagree on. McT won a lot of headers today!

TypeR

Did a job today but his deficiencies, as usual, are bare for all to see. Nothing player going forward - can't pick out a pass, doesn't show himself to help progress the ball. Defensively, he's alright, but one gets a sense that he's always on the verge of a card and potential penalty in and around our box. Casemiro should replace his spot in the starting line up once he gets up to speed.

DutchCruijff

He's not good enough. We had zero control today. Zero.

I'm not going to praise him for a defensive performance that should never have come about due to his lack of ability to control a game.

And him and Fernandes play a big part in that (De Gea too with his long punts up).

Needs to be kept away from the XI.

MUnchies

Yeah but he ain't good enough. Needs to be sold at the end of the season. Only reason I would keep him is lack of options.
Why should he be sold? He can surely be second to third backup. Liverpool have Milner, Elliot, Chamberlain, Keita as backups. It's really only City that have top top quality in debt.

diarm

There were three handballs, though. not just one. The last one should have been given, no doubt about it.
Two handballs by him, either of which on their own wouldn't be looked twice at so why should it be a penalty just because the two happened in quick succession.

The third, and clearly closest to an actual handball of all, was by Adams and not McTominay.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Credit is due. He had a very good game, and he offered options to passes (which was one of my biggest concern before). And his height was very important on defence against long-ball Soton.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
A thought to the agenda driven haters - Fred could not have done what Scott did today. He shielded our defence, made several tackles, headers and clearances.

The front three/four/five were largely anonymous today, yet some want to blame McTominay - who was playing as a #6 - for the lack of attacking fluidity. Nonsense.

I would love to see him get some games alongside/in front of Casemiro, so that he has more opportunity to bomb forward and offer a goal threat, as we saw one instance of today.

RedIan

His best game in a good while, he worked hard and was essential defending set pieces. Cant fault his efforts.

Telsim

Should only come on as a sub when we are defending a score. Terrible otherwise. With him and Bruno on the pitch we can't get the ball anywhere.

Lecland07

A thought to the agenda driven haters - Fred could not have done what Scott did today. He shielded our defence, made several tackles, headers and clearances.

The front three/four/five were largely anonymous today, yet some want to blame McTominay - who was playing as a #6 - for the lack of attacking fluidity. Nonsense.

I would love to see him get some games alongside/in front of Casemiro, so that he has more opportunity to bomb forward and offer a goal threat, as we saw one instance of today.
How is it an agenda to recognise that he was part of the reason we couldn't control the game in midfield? In the end, the necessity for that defensive performance came from the fact that he failed in his role to bring more stability to the middle with his passing and positioning. It is not an agenda, just recognition that he played a major part of that failure and it needs to be considered in his ratings.

Good defensively, but not very good in the other areas. It is sort of rewarding someone more than they should be due to inadequacies. We are playing Southampton not Manchester City, where something like this would be far more understandable.

The likelihood is that it will be Casemiro and Eriksen - I think it is pretty clear that Ten Hag wants someone good at passing in that other position.

In Rainbows

In the 2nd half with us bunkering down, he does a good job defending because he has the height and doesn't have to do much reading of the game. He can just defend by winning headers and defending what's right in front of him.

He was helpful in that regard.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
There’s not much he can do to win over some of the supporters at this point.
He’s been crucial today, I don’t know if we’re winning the game without him, few important clearances from their crosses, read the game well, passed the ball well.

If it was Rodri or Fabinho or someone people would be praising what a great player they are.

He’s been excellent these past two matches, well done Scott.
Agree 100%.
Some are ready to dish out criticism regardless of performance or some praise with criticism added in.
It's nice to see some to look at the match without an 'agenda ?' and review McTom's performance in the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.