5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roux

With the arrival of Casemiro - i wonder if McTominay is a decent shout as backup to Varane and Martinez at centre back. He plays there for his country and I'd probably prefer him over Maguire because of his mobility.

Olecurls99

Looks like Scott is ahead of Fred in the mind of Erik as when it comes to a crunch game he got the nod.
Top performance from him today.
I reckon he went for Scotty because he gets around the pitch quicker. This game suited Scotty more, but Fred or Eriksen will be back in for games against packed defenses, because they're better at moving the ball.

Sylar

He had a good game considering he was pretty much sole DM. He had some good passes too from midfield into attack to release the players.

I reckon he went for Scotty because he gets around the pitch quicker. This game suited Scotty more, but Fred or Eriksen will be back in for games against packed defenses, because they're better at moving the ball.
I agree with this point.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was decent. But a pass completion of 72% is really not good at all for someone playing a role where they should be keeping it simple. Win the ball and give it to Bruno/Eriksen to do something creative. That's the sort of hit and miss passing you would expect from the most creative players on the pitch. Not somebody who is often on the ball just outside our own box. Which is a recipe for disaster. As soon as Casemiro replaces him we should see a dramatic increase in our possession.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
He was decent. But a pass completion of 72% is really not good at all for someone playing a role where they should be keeping it simple. Win the ball and give it to Bruno/Eriksen to do something creative. That's the sort of hit and miss passing you would expect from the most creative players on the pitch. Not somebody who is often on the ball just outside our own box. Which is a recipe for disaster. As soon as Casemiro replaces him we should see a dramatic increase in our possession.
This is really unfair. He was playing in a double-pivot with Eriksen (61.5%) in a game where for the majority of the game we were passing for quick transitions where you tend to take the more speculative choices. He also pressed 2.5x more times than his DMF partner and created more 'shot creating actions'.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That's absolute hogwash to be honest.

He completed a higher percentage of passes than any of the other midfielders last night which shows that he did his job.
Taking the defenders out of the equation, who predominantly have a higher pass completion rate he was one of the best in terms of completed passes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is really unfair. He was playing in a double-pivot with Eriksen (61.5%) in a game where for the majority of the game we were passing for quick transitions where you tend to take the more speculative choices. He also pressed 2.5x more times than his DMF partner and created more 'shot creating actions'.
Eriksen did not have a good game at all, in my opinion. So that’s faint praise.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I doubt we will be winning each week playing a midfield three of Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno. Most matches will be far better served by one of Bruno and Eriksen, and one of McT and Fred, with Casemiro holding.

I've seen a few curious visions of the future from a lot of fans this morning, expecting McT and Rashford to be jettisoned for Casemiro and Antony without appreciating that these two players probably aren't the ones under the greatest threat from their arrivals. We will still need box-to-box, aggressive, ball-winning midfielders, especially one like McT who is a very strong dribbler of the ball, and we will still need a forward to make a large volume of runs in behind the opposition back line. Casemiro isn't the first and Antony isn't the latter.

Lentwood

A perfectly functional player in a functional team. Never going to be a 'great' player and has many major flaws...but there's no need for wild hyperbole...on his own, with the right partner(s), in the right team, he's a 'decent to fair' Premier League CM

When paired with Fred in a two and asked to play progressive, it highlights all of his major weaknesses and he looks very poor

The White Pele

Much better last night but we did bypass him with long balls a lot of the time so we didn’t expose his weakness in building up from the back.

nau05194

...and together with Scott McTominay - I must say, he play also a magnificent game. Yeah they were really good. In the midfield was good in balance and then you can hurt an opponent.
Erik Ten Hag
I think Erik Ten Hag was accurate in how he portrayed Scott McTominay's performance post match.

Foxbatt

That pass in the first half was just class, other than that it was your typical Scott performance, mostly positive but still some negatives here and there.
Exactly . There was a moment in the first half when he won possession in the midfield, beat a player and then tried to beat another instead of passing forward. He tries to do too much.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Exactly . There was a moment in the first half when he won possession in the midfield, beat a player and then tried to beat another instead of passing forward. He tries to do too much.
True, ten hag should improve him but I doubt he's going be anything more than a squad option from now on.

Still he definitely played his last game before being pushed down the Peking order well and with a lot of heart.

romufc

There are some games where McTominay can play, these are those games, where passion and desire is required, getting about the pitch, putting a foot in.

In games where technical quality is required he goes back on the bench.

Bobski

There are some games where McTominay can play, these are those games, where passion and desire is required, getting about the pitch, putting a foot in.

In games where technical quality is required he goes back on the bench.
Utd over the last few years should convince all our fans those qualities are needed in every game not just selected ones, intensity, tempo and controlled aggression should be non negotiable. If the rest of our players over the years that MCT has been a regular had been capable of giving Utd those qualities consistently he would have had a much shorter Utd career.

Whoscored have him at 83% pass completion . When he plays quickly he can pick out some decent forward passes, once he starts dawdling on the ball he has a tendency to get a bit panicky in his choices and either try to force a pass that is not on or try to run the ball out of danger.

RedCurry

I feel McTominay’s biggest problem is that he can go missing from games completely. But when he gets on it, he delivers a competent performance. Maybe the manager can get him to focus more and show up for the ball more often like he did for the Liverpool game. He is also better in box-to-box role much like Fred but can do a decent job as DM.

He will be a vital squad member anyway so let’s hope he can produce a performance like that consistently.

dutchred

I feel McTominay’s biggest problem is that he can go missing from games completely. But when he gets on it, he delivers a competent performance. Maybe the manager can get him to focus more and show up for the ball more often like he did for the Liverpool game. He is also better in box-to-box role much like Fred but can do a decent job as DM.

He will be a vital squad member anyway so let’s hope he can produce a performance like that consistently.
We should keep him as a squad player. Can cover if Casimiro gets injured or suspended or for Varane if we get rid of Maquire

RedCurry

We should keep him as a squad player. Can cover if Casimiro gets injured or suspended or for Varane if we get rid of Maquire
I think he will provide cover for Casemiro but also he will play alongside him plenty this season. Manager wants different options during the season and having both of them on the pitch will be necessary for some games or part of some games.

dutchred

I think he will provide cover for Casemiro but also he will play alongside him plenty this season. Manager wants different options during the season and having both of them on the pitch will be necessary for some games or part of some games.
In many ways he could be similar to how we used Ronnie Johnson

Acole9

Outstanding
He was fine apart from that shit pass he did to Varane who ended up getting booked as a result of it.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I doubt we will be winning each week playing a midfield three of Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno. Most matches will be far better served by one of Bruno and Eriksen, and one of McT and Fred, with Casemiro holding.
Bingo

Lecland07

Good defensively, but once again shows his weaknesses when we have the ball. We need more out of the midfield position than what he gives.

He struggles with positioning and that makes it a chore to play out from the back, rarely making himself available. We also cannot control a game with him in midfield, which leads to every game being uncomfortable at the end. Has his uses but these last two matches just shows how important a signing here is to take any further steps forward.

Lucky to get away with a handball, also.

FerociousCorgis

Still got no idea how that wasn't a handball ha. Hand in an unnatural position and prob hits it like 3 different times

edgecutter

Midfield was poor today and hadn't any control of that game at all. But because he headed a few balls away and kicked a few guys people are going to think he played well :houllier:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
good performance today.

was in midfield today all alone for 60 minutes and fought really hard.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he was good. Challenging for everything, get around second balls, making loads of clearances and generally just being a nuisance.

Not great on the ball but barely anybody was.

Sviken

He needs to be on the bench. We're never going to control any game with him in the middle. He's a nice kid and a decent option, but honestly - we get blitzed so easily even by the smallest teams that it's not even funny. Every game is basically life and death with him.

ManRed

Decent game by Scott standards but if we want more dominating performances he is not the player for us

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Midfield was poor today and hadn't any control of that game at all. But because he headed a few balls away and kicked a few guys people are going to think he played well :houllier:
My thoughts too.

Bobski

Fantastic defensive performance in the second half. You can complain about the lack of control and put that all on him as usual but identify and accept the things he did well today at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.