5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BerryBerryShrew

Once again he was really good in the first half but fell away in the second half (although had a resurgence at the end).

Indeed that's three matches in a row where he's been good for 50% of the time. On the one hand 50% isn't good enough, but on the other it is better than he's done for a long time and does give a base to build upon.
Agreed, good in the first but poor in the second.

kundalini

Another good performance from Scott. One of the few United players that wanted to get the ball down and play.

Welbeckham

His best performance so far this season, glad he’s proving himself to be a better player than his haters would make you believe.

saivet

People will praise him but he continues to be one of the main reasons (among others) why we can’t dominate teams like Leicester.
Agreed, but for what he is, we can't ask for much more from him to be honest. Didn't think the Leicester midfield played well at all, he and United contained them well but that midfield was there for the taking if we had someone to control things.

diarm

The match thread was a shocker. You could sense how upset people were to have nothing to criticise for an hour.

Then, when he got hung out to dry by Casemiro giving it away outside the box, leaving him a split second to react while trying to protect a defence with 3 yellow cards in it, you had an army of posters, so soaked with excitement they were sliding off their barstools to stick the foot in on him.

3rd fine performance in a row for the lad. The experts are going to start running out of hoops to jump through soon.

evil_geko

Are people really blaming Scott for us not dominating last few games that much?! :lol: I mean, how biased can you be about a player.

Bobski

The match thread was a shocker. You could sense how upset people were to have nothing to criticise for an hour.

Then, when he got hung out to dry by Casemiro giving it away outside the box, leaving him a split second to react while trying to protect a defence with 3 yellow cards in it, you had an army of posters, so soaked with excitement they were sliding off their barstools to stick the foot in on him.

3rd fine performance in a row for the lad. The experts are going to start running out of hoops to jump through soon.
Yeah, Cas loses the ball, gets nutmegged, crickets.

Rajma

Agreed, but for what he is, we can't ask for much more from him to be honest. Didn't think the Leicester midfield played well at all, he and United contained them well but that midfield was there for the taking if we had someone to control things.
Don’t get me wrong he played to his limits it’s just that it’s so far away from what’s expected from a midfielder at Manchester United for us to be a dominant unit again.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Been defending him for years. Nice to feel vindicated, although we all know that as soon as he has a bad game (or even an average one) this thread will be full of pages upon pages of furious pent up rage.

Didn’t actually see the game tonight so can’t comment. From what I gathered, Casemiro was sloppy and gave the ball away leading to McTominay giving away a dangerous free kick. Obviously, the focus of the match day thread was purely on the latter. We all know that if the roles were reversed, McTominay would still be the villain for giving it away initially and Casemiro would be absolved of any blame. Such is the caf.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I do wish he would stop heading the ball blindly when there is no pressure on him and he can easily control it.

He just heads it as far as he can everytime the ball comes near him.

But he had a good game, very combative player with awesome physical strength.

FromTheBench

He's a good player to have. In a structured setup even better.

Fred and him together get too erratic though.

RedorDead21

His best performance so far this season, glad he’s proving himself to be a better player than his haters would make you believe.
One game doesn’t change anything he’s had plenty of abject performances for us. Did good tonight, has done that before…never been able to stop his level dropping off a cliff though all too often.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Excellent performance, certainly in the first half. His performance against Brighton was amongst the worst I’ve ever seen but he’s been improving every game since then.

Kag

Been defending him for years. Nice to feel vindicated, although we all know that as soon as he has a bad game (or even an average one) this thread will be full of pages upon pages of furious pent up rage.
Why? You’re not vindicated in the slightest.

It’s possible to acknowledge a good game from McTominay while also being aware that he isn’t good enough to start regularly for a Manchester United team that aims to win trophies. He received criticism because he is often bad. That’s how this works.

Longshanks

Last two games sort of show that —
52% vs 48% in our favour vs Southampton
48 vs 52% in Leicester’s favour

I think McTominay kind of puts out his own fires; he’s good at winning the ball and showing some grit in central midfield but a big part of that would be mitigated if we actually just controlled possession of a football game
You might of watched a different game to me but I'm not sure it was mctom just hopelessly smashing the ball forward more often than not leading to a turnover of possesion whenever he was passed too.

Mctom was calm and assured In possesion, strong in the tackle, positioned himself well for interceptions and won plenty of high balls.

Its not his fault that when the ball goes back to the GK 90% of the time it gets smashed forward in blind hope.

ManRed

Very good performances and keeping Casemiro out of side. Should start against Arsenal after tonight.

This setup suits him currently, we play it long and down the flanks, bypassing midfield. All he needs to do is get stuck into tackles. Once the team settles, that won't be enough. That was one of his best games and he still gave the ball away in some ridiculous situations, and what's with his obsession with long balls that go straight to the opposition?

Bobski

This setup suits him currently, we play it long and down the flanks, bypassing midfield. All he needs to do is get stuck into tackles. Once the team settles, that won't be enough. That was one of his best games and he still gave the ball away in some ridiculous situations, and what's with his obsession with long balls that go straight to the opposition?
All 1 of them?

He hides that obsession well.

Lecland07

Are people really blaming Scott for us not dominating last few games that much?! :lol: I mean, how biased can you be about a player.
Well, midfield is the central point to possession control in football. So, he should definitely have a major impact on this. He has shown, though, that he falls down time and again in this area.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He’s actually been quite good of late (for him) and whilst it’s annoying he keeps getting started despite us signing Casemiro almost exclusively so we didn’t have to do that… the latters cameos have looked a little off the pace (albeit with some nice passes) so maybe Ten Hag knows what he’s doing.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Very good performance but he still limits us in terms of midfield control. It's hard to blame him as he clearly plays as well as he can, keeping possession just isn't in his skillset. And yet he's made 7 more passes than Casemiro and Casemiro played what, 30 minutes?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He’s actually been quite good of late (for him) and whilst it’s annoying he keeps getting started despite us signing Casemiro almost exclusively so we didn’t have to do that… the latters cameos have looked a little off the pace (albeit with some nice passes) so maybe Ten Hag knows what he’s doing.
I never understood the preconception that Casemiro was signed as a McTominay replacement. They are very different players and no reason they cant play alongside each other with one of Eriksen/Bruno in front (which would be my favoured midfield setup). Scott isnt a DM, he is a box-to-box player who has been asked to do a job defensively the last few games, and has done it pretty well.

I actually really look forward to seeing McTominay starting alongside Casemiro, as the latter's defensive positioning and stability will be the perfect foil to allow McTominay to play the more free roaming box-to-box role that he excels in.

Lu Tze

Think that Casemiro+McT is the play be Arsenal, just dominate them physically and rely on the wings to progress the ball.

arnie_ni

Is it true he only completed 7 more passes than Casemiro tonight? While playing 60 more minutes?

Rajma

Very good performance but he still limits us in terms of midfield control. It's hard to blame him as he clearly plays as well as he can, keeping possession just isn't in his skillset. And yet he's made 7 more passes than Casemiro and Casemiro played what, 30 minutes?
That’s what I’m talking about, he actively avoids being passed to by taking up bad positions as he doesn’t trust himself enough on the ball. Let’s see how many games it takes for ETH to realize that he shouldn’t be inventing a wheel and just play Brazilian national team duo.

Someone

Something
Had a really good game today. It's good to see him gaining some confidence, and I'm sure it helps having good defenders behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.