2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

the gafferjs

Could not wait to come on here after I saw Scott train for us, Scotland, yesterday. Twitter, as we know is full of clowns, I got a lot of abuse on Sunday because I said it was a blatant lie that he was left out due to injury, I think I have been proven correct. I am sad if he has been dropped for not leaving but I would respect the Club more if they were honest about it, MUTV, Club Media and their mates in the Media will always state the party line but as a fan all my life I would appreciate some honesty and not the PR Jargon.

MasterDarcy

What is this self servicing arrogant ass post. Oh you're right sorry i've never heard of Paul Scholes, silly me!

I don't need the opinions of pundits, managers or former players to describe to me what I can see with my own 2 eyes on the football pitch, be it at the stadium or on television. He hides from the ball.

Is this post supposed to be some kind of gotcha or what? Paul Scholes also showered love on Jesse Lingard who was also not a very good footballer who stayed at this club for far too long.

I'm not a Zombie fan who mirrors the opinions of others, sounds more like you're the zombie fan who loves to mirror the opinions of pundits. There's a reason you don't take all ex players, pundits, commentators comments seriously all the time, doesn't matter if they were ex players or what.

McSauce, an average player. You can cry all you want because he's from the academy but I don't care.
"Scott McTominay hides fron the ball" is the laziest, stupidest, idiotic, pseudo-analysis said by people who are too stupid to make up their own mind.

Scott McTominay has played 200+ matches for Manchester United, home and abroad. If you genuinely think that Scott McTominay actively and intentionally hides from the ball then you are saying that you (and the other pseudo-analysts) know more than Mourinho, Solskjaer, Rangnick and ten Hag.

Not only that, but you're saying that you (and the other pseudo-analysts) know more than all that coaches and analytical team at United.

If he actually did hide from the ball then he wouldn't have played 200+ matches. Including 40+ last season.

In the 22/23 season Eriksen touched the ball on average 60 times over 28 EPL matches.

In the 21/22 season McTominay touched the ball on average of 56 times over 30 EP matches.

A mighty 4 less touches on average per match. Doesn't really strike me as "hiding".

Let's make this crystal clear. No professional footballer has ever or will ever hide from the ball. Even suggesting it is bizarre.

So, ultimately, are you saying that you know more than 4 managers and numerous coaches?

Oh. As a Scotland fan, I'm so glad that he "hides" so often that he scored a brace against Spain. What amazing hiding.

saivet

Could not wait to come on here after I saw Scott train for us, Scotland, yesterday. Twitter, as we know is full of clowns, I got a lot of abuse on Sunday because I said it was a blatant lie that he was left out due to injury, I think I have been proven correct. I am sad if he has been dropped for not leaving but I would respect the Club more if they were honest about it, MUTV, Club Media and their mates in the Media will always state the party line but as a fan all my life I would appreciate some honesty and not the PR Jargon.
ETH said he was ill, so it's perfectly possible that this was the honest reason.

the gafferjs

ETH said he was ill, so it's perfectly possible that this was the honest reason.
It is possible but for me I do not trust a single word he says anymore, too much lies and cloak and dagger stuff. It is Football not espionage. Just be honest, transparent and open instead of treating the public like mugs. I mean that for everything though, not just this.

L1nk

"Scott McTominay hides fron the ball" is the laziest, stupidest, idiotic, pseudo-analysis said by people who are too stupid to make up their own mind.

Scott McTominay has played 200+ matches for Manchester United, home and abroad. If you genuinely think that Scott McTominay actively and intentionally hides from the ball then you are saying that you (and the other pseudo-analysts) know more than Mourinho, Solskjaer, Rangnick and ten Hag.

Not only that, but you're saying that you (and the other pseudo-analysts) know more than all that coaches and analytical team at United.

If he actually did hide from the ball then he wouldn't have played 200+ matches. Including 40+ last season.

In the 22/23 season Eriksen touched the ball on average 60 times over 28 EPL matches.

In the 21/22 season McTominay touched the ball on average of 56 times over 30 EP matches.

A mighty 4 less touches on average per match. Doesn't really strike me as "hiding".

Let's make this crystal clear. No professional footballer has ever or will ever hide from the ball. Even suggesting it is bizarre.

So, ultimately, are you saying that you know more than 4 managers and numerous coaches?

Oh. As a Scotland fan, I'm so glad that he "hides" so often that he scored a brace against Spain. What amazing hiding.
Scott McTominay hides from the ball

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Joint top scorer in the Euros in a relatively difficult group

90 + 5min

I feel sorry that he doesn't play more. Could be very usefull player. He needs confidence and playing more would give him just that. As I said, not worse that any of those £100m players that changed club in Premier League during this year transfer window.

Augustus Gloop

Dropped a 9.5/10 in that first half. So so good driving forward with the ball. Class player.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Maybe the saddest thing about him not moving to West Ham is it would have given us an opportunity to see him as a B2B/ advanced midfielder week in and well out.

He'd have smashed it there.

MasterDarcy

And according to armchair pseudo-analysts Scott hides from the ball.

Could have easily scored a first half hat trick.

Maybe "hides from the ball" means something entirely different in England.

As a Scotland fan, I love players who "hide from the ball" if this the definition of that phrase.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Championship level player.... apparently. :houllier: :rolleyes:

Annihilate Now!

Scout
It's the worst criticism of any of our first team players really.

Look at Elanga, looks great for Forest, and I think even I've been guilty of saying he's a Championship level in the player in the past. Won't be making that mistake again.

90 + 5min

No idea which player you've been watching. Luckily he won't be getting many games for us moving forward.
We got lot of players now in that position so he is not going to get lot of games. Unless being tried upfront just to test it but even in that position he isn't going to play. However he is a good player that could do good job. I have no doubt about that. Better what most people think.

Bobski

There were posts on here calling him a league one player, a race to the bottom for the hottest take. Go back a year and one of the lazy hit pieces on him was "can't even get in the Scotland midfield" which was disingenuous as feck with it being clear as day it was a tactical choice playing him at CB to maximize the talent level they had, with McT being the most adaptable player of their midfield options.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's the worst criticism of any of our first team players really.

Look at Elanga, looks great for Forest, and I think even I've been guilty of saying he's a Championship level in the player in the past. Won't be making that mistake again.
:lol: for sure it is the worst.

No player plays for United without having some talent,

well unless your Dan James ....:nervous:

DevTheRed

Jack of all trades, master of none.. not saying it’s a bad thing either.

He’s definitely a useful player to have around.. could play him anywhere and I’d feel relatively comfortable him doing so! Had he played up top last year I’m convinced he would’ve got into double figures.

FerociousCorgis

jesus christ the overreactions with people on mctominay, and this random as hell elanga love all of a sudden, is hilarious. We see them not be good enough on this level for us, people complain we constantly keep the deadwood too long, then a good moment or two and all of a sudden people act like they are amazing players. International vs club football is incredibly different. Pretty much anyone who makes it to the top level can have good club moments/times of play. What makes someone worthy/good enough to play in a top 4 club that should be challenging for titles is that they hit the level >90 percent of the time. They dont have huge periods of shit in the season followed by moments of brilliance in a game or something. I feel like people forget that even the "failed" footballers in the premier league are still better than 95 plus percent of the population out there at footy and would destroy it in rec/sunday league type games. Theres a reason it is the pinnacle of soccer to make it at this level and to consistently play for top clubs.

Roboc7

Hopefully he keeps scoring as he’s hardly going to get a game for us so will help sell him in January. That West Ham move would have been ideal for him, still a baffling decision not to sell him.

Might be new David Healy, prolific in international football but not able to replicate it elsewhere.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
jesus christ the overreactions with people on mctominay, and this random as hell elanga love all of a sudden, is hilarious. We see them not be good enough on this level for us, people complain we constantly keep the deadwood too long, then a good moment or two and all of a sudden people act like they are amazing players. International vs club football is incredibly different. Pretty much anyone who makes it to the top level can have good club moments/times of play. What makes someone worthy/good enough to play in a top 4 club that should be challenging for titles is that they hit the level >90 percent of the time. They dont have huge periods of shit in the season followed by moments of brilliance in a game or something. I feel like people forget that even the "failed" footballers in the premier league are still better than 95 plus percent of the population out there at footy and would destroy it in rec/sunday league type games. Theres a reason it is the pinnacle of soccer to make it at this level and to consistently play for top clubs.
Did you even read any of the posts?

FerociousCorgis

Did you even read any of the posts?
i did indeed. Ive read posts for a while now of people calling for mctominay again. Ive read posts of people calling mctominay the "backup for case" when he clearly isnt a DM. Ive seen posts calling for him to be partnering case in the midfield, even though we know he isnt good enough for our starting lineup and cant play remotely how we claim we want the midfielders, and the team as a whole, to play.

And on the off topic elanga crap, ive seen plenty of posts essentially saying we shouldve kept elanga/didnt get proper chance/overhyping elanga after a pretty average single goal for his new club. So yeah ive read the posts.

Chief123

I feel sorry that he doesn't play more. Could be very usefull player. He needs confidence and playing more would give him just that. As I said, not worse that any of those £100m players that changed club in Premier League during this year transfer window.
It’s amazing how despite having more than enough chances for utd, you feel sorry that he doesn’t play more. There’s a damn good reason why he doesn’t play more. He’s not good enough. International qualifiers isn’t a gauge of how good a player is. Cyprus and Georgia would probably struggle in the Championship. He scored against Spain. He’s also scored against Man City. It doesn’t make him good enough. He’s a bang average player who would do well in any team below the top teams.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Cypres are ranked 121st in the world rankings by FIFA, lower than Angola before the usual suspects start getting carried away. Most international games these days outside major tournaments are basically against Championship level teams. It’s why the press used to go on about how much more effective Welbeck was for England, scoring a couple of goals against San Marino when he couldn’t hit a barn door at 2 paces when playing for United.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
i did indeed. Ive read posts for a while now of people calling for mctominay again. Ive read posts of people calling mctominay the "backup for case" when he clearly isnt a DM. Ive seen posts calling for him to be partnering case in the midfield, even though we know he isnt good enough for our starting lineup and cant play remotely how we claim we want the midfielders, and the team as a whole, to play.

And on the off topic elanga crap, ive seen plenty of posts essentially saying we shouldve kept elanga/didnt get proper chance/overhyping elanga after a pretty average single goal for his new club. So yeah ive read the posts.
Please show me these posts.

90 + 5min

It’s amazing how despite having more than enough chances for utd, you feel sorry that he doesn’t play more. There’s a damn good reason why he doesn’t play more. He’s not good enough. International qualifiers isn’t a gauge of how good a player is. Cyprus and Georgia would probably struggle in the Championship. He scored against Spain. He’s also scored against Man City. It doesn’t make him good enough. He’s a bang average player who would do well in any team below the top teams.
It is not about international games. It is about him bringing something else to the game. Som steel. Some power. Some psysical game that few in our team have.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Good player but the 5 at the back system for Scotland does help him and is why you don't see the same of him at United and only glimpses of it.

Chief123

It is not about international games. It is about him bringing something else to the game. Som steel. Some power. Some psysical game that few in our team have.
It’s all good and well having physical steel and power. We had that with Mctominay and Fred. But the fundamental problem was they were shite when they had to do something with a football at their feet. You’re saying it like it’s something we’ve not tried. There’s a reason we are getting rid of the likes of him because they have brought us down a few levels over recent years.

FerociousCorgis

It’s all good and well having physical steel and power. We had that with Mctominay and Fred. But the fundamental problem was they were shite when they had to do something with a football at their feet. You’re saying it like it’s something we’ve not tried. There’s a reason we are getting rid of the likes of him because they have brought us down a few levels over recent years.
ding ding ding.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Cypres are ranked 121st in the world rankings by FIFA, lower than Angola before the usual suspects start getting carried away. Most international games these days outside major tournaments are basically against Championship level teams. It’s why the press used to go on about how much more effective Welbeck was for England, scoring a couple of goals against San Marino when he couldn’t hit a barn door at 2 paces when playing for United.
He did score against Spain.....

Zed is not dead

I think people here talking about Mctominay and Elanga are saying a simple thing:
Not being good enough for Man United doesn’t make you a shite football player.
It simply means you’re not good enough for a top 4 club, but doesn’t mean you’re a League One player.

MasterDarcy

People saying "Scott has played x amount of matches and never stood out".

For the vast majority of those x amount if matches he's had the shackles on and played as a no 6 with zero creative freedom.

His main attributes are driving forward with the ball. Shooting. And his attacking movement is very underrated.

With Scotland he has deep lying playmakers like Gilmour and McGregor who can control the midfield. Combined those two had 110 passes with 100 completed.

McTominay started just off the striker, as a no 10. He could've scored 5 goals tonight.