2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

glasgow 21

jesus christ the overreactions with people on mctominay, and this random as hell elanga love all of a sudden, is hilarious. We see them not be good enough on this level for us, people complain we constantly keep the deadwood too long, then a good moment or two and all of a sudden people act like they are amazing players. International vs club football is incredibly different. Pretty much anyone who makes it to the top level can have good club moments/times of play. What makes someone worthy/good enough to play in a top 4 club that should be challenging for titles is that they hit the level >90 percent of the time. They dont have huge periods of shit in the season followed by moments of brilliance in a game or something. I feel like people forget that even the "failed" footballers in the premier league are still better than 95 plus percent of the population out there at footy and would destroy it in rec/sunday league type games. Theres a reason it is the pinnacle of soccer to make it at this level and to consistently play for top clubs.
Totally agree
My god some quote basically stating Mctominay is prime Gerard restricted in a United team by ETH is hilarious.
They are using McTominay not being played, as a kick at ETH is out of order.
This forum would go into hyperbole when he was named as a starter.
I see where this is going there is an agenda to blame it all on ETH and removing him will get us back in business, good fecking luck with that plan.
This international break is being using as a boxing ring to take swings at United in all ways.

Last edited:

Stadjer

That phrase loses all credence when you factor in the fact that Allardyce signed Fernando Hierro, Jay-Jay Okocha, Youri Djorkaeff and Nicholas Anelka.
Pretty sure Allardyce signed a lot more player that were a lot less exciting than the four players you name.

David Moyes also signed some flair players during his career but his teams arent exactly known for their flair...

Even Tony Pulis might have signed a player with flair during his career?

marktan

I've always said he should be a striker. He's got the natural instincs for it. He can be a hard working link up one given his experience in midfield. Shame no one's ever tried it.

Lee565

West ham should have coughed up the money for him, he would excel in a moyes side and be his new fellaini

Bwuk

He’s brilliant for Scotland playing higher up the park.

Hes a much better player than Mount.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Don't worry he'll be injured again when we need him

GazTheLegend

So it turns out the REAL Weghorst was the McTominay we had along the way. Makes you think.

In all seriousness, after Wout's 17 apps (and most of them starting, right?), McTominay would have scored more goals. That is to say I believe that McTominay would have scored A goal.

Bwuk

So it turns out the REAL Weghorst was the McTominay we had along the way. Makes you think.

In all seriousness, after Wout's 17 apps (and most of them starting, right?), McTominay would have scored more goals. That is to say I believe that McTominay would have scored A goal.
I said that at the time. Was absolute nonsense from Ten Hag.

Zed is not dead

West ham should have coughed up the money for him, he would excel in a moyes side and be his new fellaini
I’ve said it before but he could be very useful if used the same way Fellaini was used at Everton and later on at United.
Not to say that either are United-quality, but they’re really useful players to have in your squad.

Revaulx

Dropped a 9.5/10 in that first half. So so good driving forward with the ball. Class player.
This is his main strength, yet of all his managers at United only the much-maligned Ralf has recognised it.

Maybe the saddest thing about him not moving to West Ham is it would have given us an opportunity to see him as a B2B/ advanced midfielder week in and well out.

He'd have smashed it there.
Quite agree. Edit: though I suppose Moyes might insist on playing him as a DM as well :rolleyes:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
"Scott McTominay hides fron the ball" is the laziest, stupidest, idiotic, pseudo-analysis said by people who are too stupid to make up their own mind.

Scott McTominay has played 200+ matches for Manchester United, home and abroad. If you genuinely think that Scott McTominay actively and intentionally hides from the ball then you are saying that you (and the other pseudo-analysts) know more than Mourinho, Solskjaer, Rangnick and ten Hag.

Not only that, but you're saying that you (and the other pseudo-analysts) know more than all that coaches and analytical team at United.

If he actually did hide from the ball then he wouldn't have played 200+ matches. Including 40+ last season.

In the 22/23 season Eriksen touched the ball on average 60 times over 28 EPL matches.

In the 21/22 season McTominay touched the ball on average of 56 times over 30 EP matches.

A mighty 4 less touches on average per match. Doesn't really strike me as "hiding".

Let's make this crystal clear. No professional footballer has ever or will ever hide from the ball. Even suggesting it is bizarre.

So, ultimately, are you saying that you know more than 4 managers and numerous coaches?

Oh. As a Scotland fan, I'm so glad that he "hides" so often that he scored a brace against Spain. What amazing hiding.
Award for most selective use of stats ever 2023… wouldn’t be surprised if his touch count is close to Eriksen’s because he takes 2 or 3 touches to control a pass that Eriksen would only need 1 to kill.

Anyway. No idea where you plucked those stats from but FBRef has Eriksen averaging just over 70 passes per 90 minute, over the last 365 days. Casemiro clocks in at 62.55. The much maligned Fred averaged just under 53. Bruno 57 and Mason Mount 66

Guess how many passes McTominay attempts per 90? The answer is 38.

Do you see a pattern there? Either he’s unwilling/unable to find the time and space needed to get on the ball and pick a pass (let’s describe this as “hiding from the ball” for simplicity’s sake) or his team mates think he’s so shite they’re choosing to ignore him despite him being available for a pass (presumably preferring to pass to the world class talent that is Fred)

Either way these stats confirm exactly why so many people accuse McT of hiding. Whether you’re willing to acknowledge them or not. They are what they are. And they’re the reason he hasn’t been close to good enough to hold down a starting place in midfield at Manchester United. Well, those stats and his pass completion %, which is on the 44th centile for midfielders.

Last edited:

Abraxas

Not bad if you can get him primarily higher up the pitch using his athleticism and power. Not neccessarily starting in a high position because you wouldn't want him on the turn receiving it, he'd be awful, but he needs freedom to roam without defensive responsibilities he had alongside the likes of Fred in a double pivot.

Just not a Man United level talent but I think a few teams might have made a mistake not trying to tempt us with slightly more than West Ham bid. I think it was almost a point of principle to reject that first major bid, but I don't think anyone would have had to go all the way to 40 million.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It’s amazing how despite having more than enough chances for utd, you feel sorry that he doesn’t play more. There’s a damn good reason why he doesn’t play more. He’s not good enough. International qualifiers isn’t a gauge of how good a player is. Cyprus and Georgia would probably struggle in the Championship. He scored against Spain. He’s also scored against Man City. It doesn’t make him good enough. He’s a bang average player who would do well in any team below the top teams.
Yep agreed. Judging by some reactions on here you’d think he’d been MOTM multiple times for us recently but can’t get a game. He is what he is, a good box to box CM that has to play in a more old school setup to take advantage of his best attributes, which won’t happen in any sort of top side.

He’d be perfect for Soucek though at West Ham

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I'm glad we have him at the club. Great back-up player and very professional compared to some of the other players we've had to deal with.

Sesh

Supports
Partick Thistle
As a Scotland fan I'm lurking here until Tuesday because there is a decent chance of some hilarious backtracking... :)

MasterDarcy

Award for most selective use of stats ever 2023… wouldn’t be surprised if his touch count is close to Eriksen’s because he takes 2 or 3 touches to control a pass that Eriksen would only need 1 to kill.

Anyway. No idea where you plucked those stats from but FBRef has Eriksen averaging just over 70 passes per 90 minute, over the last 365 days. Casemiro clocks in at 62.55. The much maligned Fred averaged just under 53. Bruno 57 and Mason Mount 66

Guess how many passes McTominay attempts per 90? The answer is 38.

Do you see a pattern there? Either he’s unwilling/unable to find the time and space needed to get on the ball and pick a pass (let’s describe this as “hiding from the ball” for simplicity’s sake) or his team mates think he’s so shite they’re choosing to ignore him despite him being available for a pass (presumably preferring to pass to the world class talent that is Fred)

Either way these stats confirm exactly why so many people accuse McT of hiding. Whether you’re willing to acknowledge them or not. They are what they are. And they’re the reason he hasn’t been close to good enough to hold down a starting place in midfield at Manchester United. Well, those stats and his pass completion %, which is on the 44th centile for midfielders.
Thanks. I dedicate this award to my family for always believing in me even though I had stop believing in myself.

This award isn't just about me. It's about dreams. Dreamers who dream despite what the naysayers say.

Place Bruno in the no 6 position and sit back and enjoy how few touches of the ball he has, the few passes as well as the vast amount of times that he gives the ball away leading to a chance/goal.

Scott McTominay is not an anchorman. Never has been, never will be. He can play there, he can be a no 6, but his greatest attributes are driving forward with the ball and shooting and his attacking movement Is underrated.

If you want a deeply lying playmaker, but Billy Gilmour. If you want a player who will play box to box and come away with double figures from midfield, get McTominay.

He's been perpetually played put of position. Look what happened when Gerrard played John McGinn as a no 6. He was garbage and a target for the boo boys. Emery plays McGinn as a no 10. All of a sudden he looks like one of the league's best players.

Hell, there are people here who think that McTominay is a "Make a wish foundation" person. According to then he can't trap the ball and when he isn't hiding from the ball he's tripping over it.

Meanwhile, in the real world, he is joint top goal scorer in the European Championships qualifiers with Hoijlund and Lukaku. Two players that we spent a combined £140m on.

In terms of G + A, McTominay is leading the way with 7. If this was Ice hockey he'd be on 9, as he had a hand in a goal against Norway as well as Georgia.

Is Emery a better manager than EtH? I'd swap them tomorrow if I could.

Last edited:

ArmaDino

Come on Moyes. You've found your new Fellaini. Persuade the Hammers to give us 35mil+5mil in addons and he is yours!

MasterDarcy

Come on Moyes. You've found your new Fellaini. Persuade the Hammers to give us 35mil+5mil in addons and he is yours!
Yeah.

Because we're doing so well at the moment without him.

11th is the new 1st.

ArmaDino

Yeah.

Because we're doing so well at the moment without him.

11th is the new 1st.
Why are you being so pessimistic and negative?

We've had worse league positions under SAF on matchday 4. I clearly remember that the first 4 games in our double winning season in 2007/2008 were 2 draws, a defeat and an uninspiring 1-0 win that we got from a deflected 30 yard Nani screamer. The next 4 games we grinded narrow 1-0 wins over the likes of Wigan, and yet a lot of people on this forum would have that team ahead of 1999 one.

Granted he isn't SAF, but last year ETH has shown that he can turn adversity around. He adapted quiet well after our 4-0 drumming at Brentford. This year we looked a much improved side when going to the Emirates compared to the last time we've been there. If it weren't for some poor oficiating errors, razor thin margins and an injury plagued team, we would've come up with all 3 points and the conversation would've been different on this forum.

So far we're witnessing incremental improvements in our play which is completely different from what we've seen under Ole and Mourinho.

And it's not like McTomminay would've had us playing better in any of the matches so far either. But those extra 35-40 million could definitely help us land a player that actually can.

Reactions: roonster09

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
It’s amazing how despite having more than enough chances for utd, you feel sorry that he doesn’t play more. There’s a damn good reason why he doesn’t play more. He’s not good enough. International qualifiers isn’t a gauge of how good a player is. Cyprus and Georgia would probably struggle in the Championship. He scored against Spain. He’s also scored against Man City. It doesn’t make him good enough. He’s a bang average player who would do well in any team below the top teams.
Spain and Norway would probably do alright though, eh ?

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Totally agree
My god some quote basically stating Mctominay is prime Gerard restricted in a United team by ETH is hilarious.
They are using McTominay not being played, as a kick at ETH is out of order.
This forum would go into hyperbole when he was named as a starter.
I see where this is going there is an agenda to blame it all on ETH and removing him will get us back in business, good fecking luck with that plan.
This international break is being using as a boxing ring to take swings at United in all ways.
Slight overreaction.
People do have differences of opinion, but I don't see any posts reflecting the points in your posts.
It is permitted for people to comment positively.

Chief123

I'm glad we have him at the club. Great back-up player and very professional compared to some of the other players we've had to deal with.
Im disappointed he’s still at the club. He should have been long gone. I’d happily be a backup player and be very professional, I’d give my heart and soul, but I’d still be pretty shit. Being professional is not enough.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
No thats Billy Gilmour.... apparently
Still horrendously overrated on here,

However does appear to be deviating ever so slightly from McEachrans career trajectory :lol:

Champ

Im disappointed he’s still at the club. He should have been long gone. I’d happily be a backup player and be very professional, I’d give my heart and soul, but I’d still be pretty shit. Being professional is not enough.
Good job he's also a decent player as well then really.

Bobski

Slight overreaction.
People do have differences of opinion, but I don't see any posts reflecting the points in your posts.
It is permitted for people to comment positively.
Yes. The guy is doing great things for Scotland in this qualifying and is clearly a better player than some want to give him credit for being. Don't see many, if any calling for him to start for Utd, but the undertone of anger in the responses to any positivity around him is more than a bit pathetic.

Champ

Matter of opinion. Decent for a specific level. Not the level we should be at.
An opinion shared by multiple top level managers, which would be strange if he was really that bad.

nau05194

What a great performance from McTominay last night - absolutely ran the show. I think he's an excellent option for Ten Hag over the course of the season especially as an attacking option on the right hand side. He is definitely worth keeping at the club for me especially with Antony's issues.