View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I’m dont think we have ever seen McTominay get a consistent run in the position where his potential is. Maybe because he is not talented enough to be a central midfielder with more attacking responsibility at Man Utd. But also because Fred was also better higher up the pitch (and a big risk deeper).

But I still think he would do alot better there than as a defensive midfielder. I think he would have done great for WHU next to JWP and Alvarez.

pascell

Pretty sure Allardyce signed a lot more player that were a lot less exciting than the four players you name.

David Moyes also signed some flair players during his career but his teams arent exactly known for their flair...

Even Tony Pulis might have signed a player with flair during his career?
West Ham actually look very good going forward atm, they attack with purpose and a plan, shame the same can't be said about us.

Red00012

He’s just not suited to United but with the right style of play and players around him he’s still PL quality. I think he does need to move on from Utd though sooner rather than later.

nau05194

Ten Hag has lost the dressing room and so McTominay is better probably just biding his time and he'll be back in the team with a new manager sooner rather than later imo.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

He did score against Spain.....
True enough but he’s played over 200 times for the first team here so it’s not like he’s never been given a chance. People can claim he’s never played in his best position, whatever that is but a succession of managers here have somehow failed to do that apparently. Maybe he doesn’t have a best position. Point being the majority of international games are against poor Championship level quality teams like Cypres, which is why like Welbeck before him, he seems to perform better there than he does for United.

Chief123

An opinion shared by multiple top level managers, which would be strange if he was really that bad.
Clearly not. Our top level manager has been trying to get him out of the door. No top level manager came in to try and buy him. Nothing strange here Champ.

Chief123

What a great performance from McTominay last night - absolutely ran the show. I think he's an excellent option for Ten Hag over the course of the season especially as an attacking option on the right hand side. He is definitely worth keeping at the club for me especially with Antony's issues.
Oh dear. McTominay to become our new RW ffs

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Wow, people are touching themselves over good performance against a barely professional team.

Every Championship side would brush aside Cyprus with ease, silly to rave about McTominay being great against them.

He is ok backup player for us, nothing more.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Ah, another round of internationals, another time to repeat what should be bleeding obvious by now. Say it together with me:

McTominay isn’t a DM, he is an attacking box to box player.

Stick him in the side instead of Mount and I reckon he does a good job. Stick him in instead of Casemiro and he will not. It honestly baffles me that Ten Hag and others can’t see that.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Ah, another round of internationals, another time to repeat what should be bleeding obvious by now. Say it together with me:

McTominay isn’t a DM, he is an attacking box to box player.

Stick him in the side instead of Mount and I reckon he does a good job. Stick him in instead of Casemiro and he will not. It honestly baffles me that Ten Hag and others can’t see that.
They probably can see it. But the options to Casemiro have been few. In the more attacking midfield position we have had Eriksen and Fred (and Sabitzer). Before that we had Pogba.

Marwood

Hopefully the penny drops at United and we realise we have a genuine utility player.

Scotland have realised he can play all over the pitch. Why haven't we?

bludsucker

Yeah.

Because McTominay will come in and fix all our problems.

We’ll soon be back to 1st when he goes.
What a ridiculous post. As if he is the one preventing us from scoring all those goals. Some people on here spout absolute bollocks in support of their one eyed opinion.

Alex the Red

What I didn’t understand at the end of last season when we were lacking support for Rashford up front is why we didn’t just try McTominay up there, starting a match. His goals for Scotland at least show he has goal scoring capabilities. Some of them may have been against less strong teams but you still have to be able to take your chances. He doesn’t seem to be a player that would spit his dummy out and not try his best so I would be giving him a try there, even if for a League Cup game to see how he gets on.

nau05194

The way McTominay drove with the ball against Cyprus was incredible! so much power, energy and technical skill. He was taking the ball on the half turn and committing opposition defenders - they couldn't handle him he was popping up everywhere causing havoc and just being a general boss. That's the only way I can describe his performance, like he wanted to prove a point.

I think he has sent Ten Hag a strong message with that performance and I have a wee feeling he'll be back in for United sooner rather than later.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes. Probably. But I do think McT would be more appreciated if he played higher up the pitch.
I doubt it. He finds it hard enough to find space playing deep, he’s going to find it even harder in the final third.

He’s always been able to shine in very specific circumstances. When the game is stretched and there’s loads of space for him to gallop around the place. Usually against Leeds! But those fixtures come around quite rarely. So there are definitely ways in which he can be an asset but it’s not hard to see why a manager might want to upgrade a player who has such obvious limitations.

arnie_ni

Maybe the saddest thing about him not moving to West Ham is it would have given us an opportunity to see him as a B2B/ advanced midfielder week in and well out.

He'd have smashed it there.
Said this multiple times. It would have been a great move for him. He just isn't good enough for us but could have rebuilt his career there

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Wow, people are touching themselves over good performance against a barely professional team.

Every Championship side would brush aside Cyprus with ease, silly to rave about McTominay being great against them.

He is ok backup player for us, nothing more.
Exactly Cyprus are ranked lower than Angola by FIFA.

Lee565

I’ve said it before but he could be very useful if used the same way Fellaini was used at Everton and later on at United.
Not to say that either are United-quality, but they’re really useful players to have in your squad.

It's funny that we have ended up using both mctominay and fellaini in the same position that is counter productive in terms getting the most use out of them with neither being defensive midfielders.

If we used him in his best position as a back up then maybe we would have more takers for him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I doubt it. He finds it hard enough to find space playing deep, he’s going to find it even harder in the final third.

He’s always been able to shine in very specific circumstances. When the game is stretched and there’s loads of space for him to gallop around the place. Usually against Leeds! But those fixtures come around quite rarely. So there are definitely ways in which he can be an asset but it’s not hard to see why a manager might want to upgrade a player who has such obvious limitations.
I’m not sure I agree he find it hard to find space. I think he find it really hard to pass out from the back and I think he is smart enough to know his limitations.

In fact, I would argue some of McTominay’s best games came against a low, compact block.

His best game ever probably against Villarreal in the Europa League final where he was by far our best player. In that game he was the player on the pitch with most touches in the penalty box. He made 8 dribble attemps with a success ratio of 75 %.
So why was he so good that game? In my opinion, it was because Villarreal sat back. Consequently, we decided to build from our best passer, Paul Pogba. Instead of McTominay being a DM, he pushed higher.

In my opinion, that was a game that showed McTominay’s potential against a really good side. One of few games where he had the chance to do so.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think United isn't good enough for him. We aren't the premier league behemoths we once were and we make decent players look terrible

to be taken with a pinch of salt. still reeling over our lost against Arsenal

Eric_the_Red99

The people advocating selling McTominay and using the funds to buy a better replacement midfielder would have more of a point if it wasn’t pretty much guaranteed that we’d just use the money (plus another £20 to £30m) to buy a bang average ex-Ajax player who ends up being even worse.

Remember the geese

The people advocating selling McTominay and using the funds to buy a better replacement midfielder would have more of a point if it wasn’t pretty much guaranteed that we’d just use the money (plus another £20 to £30m) to buy a bang average ex-Ajax player who ends up being even worse.
Between Mainoo and Amrabat he is already well replaced. Need to cash in on him and invest that money elsewhere in the team.

90 + 5min

It’s all good and well having physical steel and power. We had that with Mctominay and Fred. But the fundamental problem was they were shite when they had to do something with a football at their feet. You’re saying it like it’s something we’ve not tried. There’s a reason we are getting rid of the likes of him because they have brought us down a few levels over recent years.
There were lot of games where McTominay was really good. He was bad when whole team was bad. That is not strange. He isn't worlds greatest player. But he can do a good job and be a valuable member of the squad without question. According to me, what brought us down recent years are players attitude and passion. Players like Pogba. Players like DeMaria. Players like Lingard. Players like Martial. Players like Sancho. That is my opinion.

Sort of player Sam Allerdyce would sign.
Nothing wrong with that. Big teams have signed players that are worse than McTominay and played him. We got some teams recenlty splashing out insane money on just that.

Ed9

Ten Hag has lost the dressing room and so McTominay is better probably just biding his time and he'll be back in the team with a new manager sooner rather than later imo.
What a nonsense.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was decisive with his goal and assist, but only Che Adams, striker, had fewer touches/passes than McTominay last night.

How he played last night is exactly what McTominay needs — freedom in the attacking third because his best traits are driving forward, and a really clean strike of the ball.

I’ve said it before — but if McTominay was about 4 inches shorter he’d be a striker/no.10 somewhere down the footballing table. His stature actually works against him as he lacks the fundamentals needed for the roles you’d think he’d be good at.

Never going to get that here (as we already have better players who offer more than he does in those types of roles) and the stuff we need him for he’s not very good at. We should’ve sold him and he should’ve pushed for the move — it was in the best interests of both parties.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The way McTominay drove with the ball against Cyprus was incredible! so much power, energy and technical skill. He was taking the ball on the half turn and committing opposition defenders - they couldn't handle him he was popping up everywhere causing havoc and just being a general boss. That's the only way I can describe his performance, like he wanted to prove a point.

I think he has sent Ten Hag a strong message with that performance and I have a wee feeling he'll be back in for United sooner rather than later.
I'm enjoying this wind up I have to say.

MasterDarcy

Yeah.

Because McTominay will come in and fix all our problems.

We’ll soon be back to 1st when he goes.
That makes zero sense.

McTominay doesn't even get off the bench. But we'll sell him and It'll "fix all of our problems".

I'm enjoying this wind up I have to say.
So, it's a wind up if you don't Toe the RedCafe party line and sing from the same hymn sheet?

Let's see Bruno play as a no 6 and let the hilarity ensue. As that's what's happening, a no 8/9/10 is being played in a defensively 6 position.

iHicksy

Who hurt you?

Lee565

I know we mock the international opponents that mctominay has done well against but weren't many fans praising hojlund goal record on the international scene in 22/23?

I would have actually preferred using mctominay further forward this season over spending 65 million on mount and instead putting it towards a proper sitting midfielder so that we could stop using in mctominay in position that he looks useless in when playing deep in midfielder

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So don’t sell anyone and don’t buy anyone? Yup, that should turn things round alright.

Idxomer

I know we mock the international opponents that mctominay has done well against but weren't many fans praising hojlund goal record on the international scene in 22/23?

I would have actually preferred using mctominay further forward this season over spending 65 million on mount and instead putting it towards a proper sitting midfielder so that we could stop using in mctominay in position that he looks useless in when playing deep in midfielder
There's nothing wrong with praising his current scoring run with Scotland. Thinking he could translate it to the PL is a bit delusional though.

nau05194

Some food for thought perhaps for the dumplings that are convinced Erik Ten Hag was actively trying to sell Scotty or that he doesn't rate him.

These comments suggest the opposite, especially when he commented that during the summer it was his ambition to play regular football but implied it was blocked by forces out-with his control - presumably his club and/or his manager.

Six goals now in five appearances. You're now the joint top scorer in this Euro qualifying campaign. What's the secret behind the scoring success?

There's not really [a secret] to be fair. Just the manager (Clarke) and the faith that he has in me to push forwards and that was what I wanted this summer really, to play regular football and that wasn't really given to me so I have to accept that and obviously whenever I go and play for Scotland I have to really go and show myself and show that I'm capable of playing whenever I go back home and obviously I'm just enjoying myself playing for Scotland at the minute.
Scott McTominay

There is a growing weight of evidence building that he is a quality player.

Last edited:

Roboc7

Some food for thought perhaps for the dumplings that are convinced Erik Ten Hag was actively trying to sell Scotty or that he doesn't rate him. These comments suggest the opposite.

ETH doesn’t want him or rate him, that’s pretty clear. Does anyone seriously think the manager would have preferred to keep someone he has relegated from a starter to sixth choice over a new signing. He’s been for sale all summer just at a price no one would pay.

He’s just another player who the club have made a complete mess of selling which is a shame as unless there are injuries he’s hardly going to start a game and it prevented us from signing someone else. Hopefully he gets a move in January but I don’t think many teams are going to play him in his best position and he may soon end up with same issues he has here of being shoehorned into position.

Last edited:

Doracle

Some food for thought perhaps for the dumplings that are convinced Erik Ten Hag was actively trying to sell Scotty or that he doesn't rate him. These comments suggest the opposite.

When he refers to the “manager” there he is talking about the Scotland manager. There’s nothing in that to suggest ETH rates him.

AndySmith1990

Why did we sign Amrabat? Why did we sign Mount? If McTominay is such a quality player he'd be nailed on starter and Ten Hag wouldn't be so desperate to bring in midfielders

If West Ham thought he was that good they'd have made the effort to negotiate and sign him, instead of walking away at £30m. In fact if any clubs thought he was as good as you seem to think he is, he wouldn't still be here