2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Malone_Post

Should have sold both and not just watched with our junk in our hands while players like Lavia, Caicedo, MacAllister, Gravenberch, Kovacic etc moved clubs, all the while buying yet another #10 in Mount, just to sit next to our other number #10s Eriksen and Van de Beek, as back up to our main #10, Bruno, who is rarely ever unavailable.
It’s absolutely incredible when you see it laid out like that :lol: It’s like in FM when the AI start randomly stockpiling players in positions that they‘re already stacked in.

Everything about this club is just absolutely rancid.

Zumbi

He is also good at defending corners. I don't see why fans don't see this. People on twitter are calling for a midfield of Mainoo, mount and fernades. Who is going to head the ball? How many corners did Newcastle have today? Who is going to defend them? We don't have Ibrahimovic anymore. We don't have Cavani anymore. We can't leave it all to Maguire, we need tall strong physical players. Yes we want them to be good on the ball, but a team of midgets doesn't cut it. Best team in the league City have Dias, Gardiol, Stones, Rodri and Haaland to head the ball away. Who do United have? Today maguire and McTominay. Shaw too short, martial too short ( and not arsed) , Rashford not interested. Are we relying on Mainoo? Casemiro badly missed.
Is this a joke? Or is this really how far we've fallen!? Selecting midfield players based on them being tall and helping us defend corners? Jesus wept. How about we start focussing on playing some football and spending some time in the opposition's final third.

mav_9me

The closest I came to hating a United player was Fellaini. I rejoiced when we got rid of him.

Only to have another Fellaini in Mct. Sigh.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The closest I came to hating a United player was Fellaini. I rejoiced when we got rid of him.

So much hate..cant believe this. Why dont you do your job as fan and support the club and the player? Especially when he is one of our own? The agendas are getting out of hand. Ignore all the turdy, incompetent performances from him. Just SUPPORT.

Top reds, am I doing it right?

ZainCRse7en

Arsenal could slot a trossard into the heart of their midfield and was much more effective than him. Zero presence in midfield, zero showing for the ball, zero control, zero shielding of the back line. Can anybody tell me what this lad is even good at apart form popping up with a few goals every now and then?

justboy68

McT is a fine squad player and he wouldn't play so much if Casemiro was fit.
What makes him a fine squad player? He's not a fine squad player because he can't contribute the minimum levels of competency for a central midfielder, namely getting on the ball, making himself available and tracking runners defensively. Mainoo is an example of an ideal squad player. A youngster with all the requirements and lots of promise who would ideally be managed into the team gradually, behind some proper first choice midfielders.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No he's not. A squad player is somebody who can either come in and keep the team ticking over in the same way that the first choice player is, just not quite at the same level, or alternatively a player who can act as a valuable alternative option if we want to play a different way.

Scott doesn't do either of those things. He is such a huge decline in quality in whatever position we use him in, and his inability to get involved has a negative impact on the team as a whole. The only thing keeping him remotely useful even in this very poor team is that we've somehow bought in players either worse or similar quality (VDB, Sabitzer, so far Mount and Amrabat but it's early days), sold a player that was comfortably better (Fred), the manager doesn't want to use a younger player (Hannibal and even Gore), and we've got a few injuries (Casemiro and Eriksen). It's an incredible failure of squad-building over the last half a decade. In any kind of decent midfield line-up he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad, and that's what we should be building towards.

Pretty much the only thing Scott might be any good for is to bring him on in the last 10 minutes if we're desperate for a goal. But even that should be someone who is a better player overall. He's basically a less useful and less hard-working Fellaini.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

He is also good at defending corners. I don't see why fans don't see this. People on twitter are calling for a midfield of Mainoo, mount and fernades. Who is going to head the ball? How many corners did Newcastle have today? Who is going to defend them? We don't have Ibrahimovic anymore. We don't have Cavani anymore. We can't leave it all to Maguire, we need tall strong physical players. Yes we want them to be good on the ball, but a team of midgets doesn't cut it. Best team in the league City have Dias, Gardiol, Stones, Rodri and Haaland to head the ball away. Who do United have? Today maguire and McTominay. Shaw too short, martial too short ( and not arsed) , Rashford not interested. Are we relying on Mainoo? Casemiro badly missed.
In a midfield of Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Giggs who was going to head the ball there? That is not why you pick midfielders.

emperortan

I know it's not his fault and it's harsh to come here every single time even though his more talented teammates also stink. But.

24 passes and 30 touches in 99 minutes. Marcus Rashford, who stank the place out and was replaced after 60 excruciating minutes of shite, managed 22 touches and 17 passes in that time. And he was an attacker and he was utter shite!

It's just inexcusable. His technical limitations are more than obvious but he also... just doesn't get involved nearly enough. You could say that hey, at least he doesn't feck things up with his terrible technique that much but... what's the point of having him on the pitch? That he'll pop up with the odd goal? We're essentially playing with 10 men.
https://www.squawka.com/en/features/newcastle-man-utd-player-ratings-gordon-rashford-maguire/

read this , pal. They must admitted Scott was "practically non-existent in the Man Utd midfield. What his role was, is hard to know, as he didn’t really do anything in defensive or pushing forward". Summed up all he did in last several matches with him in first XI.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I know it's not his fault and it's harsh to come here every single time even though his more talented teammates also stink. But.

24 passes and 30 touches in 99 minutes. Marcus Rashford, who stank the place out and was replaced after 60 excruciating minutes of shite, managed 22 touches and 17 passes in that time. And he was an attacker and he was utter shite!

It's just inexcusable. His technical limitations are more than obvious but he also... just doesn't get involved nearly enough. You could say that hey, at least he doesn't feck things up with his terrible technique that much but... what's the point of having him on the pitch? That he'll pop up with the odd goal? We're essentially playing with 10 men.
I don’t think you can say that. In almost every match he plays there will be moments where a heavy touch or an easy pass misdirected will screw up a promising attack. Despite being constantly on the periphery of the action (which is incredible, considering the position he plays) he also manages to make us worse when he does get on the ball. Of all the poor players in our squad I dislike hating on this guy most of all because he’s an academy product and does seem to care about the club and work hard on the pitch. But his presence in the starting lineup basically guarantees we’ll lose the midfield battle. And that’s irrespective of the quality of the opposition. Which is remarkable really.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Seriously speaking, can you tell me how McTominay is better than Darron Gibson? Cos Gibson had a better shot and was happier with the ball at his feet.

I have seen a lot of madness in the Man Utd midfield. I have seen Sir Alex try to make Alan Smith a midfielder. I have seen John O'Shea play half a season next to Ryan Giggs in midfield. However, I rate those experiments much higher than trying to get McTominay take the ball off the back four and get us moving.

McTominay is going to get Ten Hag fired if he keeps playing. He's just not good enough. Phil Neville in central midfield would be levels above.

Siorac

I don’t think you can say that. In almost every match he plays there will be moments where a heavy touch or an easy pass misdirected will screw up a promising attack. Despite being constantly on the periphery of the action (which is incredible, considering the position he plays) he also manages to make us worse when he does get on the ball. Of all the poor players in our squad I dislike hating on this guy most of all because he’s an academy product and does seem to care about the club and work hard on the pitch. But his presence in the starting lineup basically guarantees we’ll lose the midfield battle. And that’s irrespective of the quality of the opposition. Which is remarkable really.
I tried to be magnanimous but in truth his total lack of ability on the ball drives me insane. Not least because it somehow feels emblematic of the last decade: too often it seems that actual ability, especially technical ability isn't all that important when selecting players.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I tried to be magnanimous but in truth his total lack of ability on the ball drives me insane. Not least because it somehow feels emblematic of the last decade: too often it seems that actual ability, especially technical ability isn't all that important when selecting players.
Aye it’s maddening. And why I still have time for Antony despite his appalling lack of end product. It’s actually refreshing to see a United player with a reliable first touch, good close control and an ability to consistently pass the ball exactly where he wants it to go. That’s how low the bar has fallen!

drdoityourself

Joelinton played the way people think McTominay plays for us. But the truth is he's just not doing anything a midfielder should do.

I remember the left back taking a throw in yesterday (we were 1-0 down at the time) and he came jogging into midfield, not trying to make himself available for a pass, but to run towards Joelinton so he would be sure not to have to receive the ball.

And he can be as shite as he pleases because there are never any consequences, he doesn't get taken off because of his perceived goal threat and doesn't get dropped.

The worst midfielder I have ever seen at United. Protected by the media and as long as Ten Hag keeps picking him the further he gets from his principles and further he gets from developing any kind of style of play.

clarkydaz

Joelinton played the way people think McTominay plays for us. But the truth is he's just not doing anything a midfielder should do.

I remember the left back taking a throw in yesterday (we were 1-0 down at the time) and he came jogging into midfield, not trying to make himself available for a pass, but to run towards Joelinton so he would be sure not to have to receive the ball.

And he can be as shite as he pleases because there are never any consequences, he doesn't get taken off because of his perceived goal threat and doesn't get dropped.

The worst midfielder I have ever seen at United. Protected by the media and as long as Ten Hag keeps picking him the further he gets from his principles and further he gets from developing any kind of style of play.
Maybe we can put to bed the 'he's a physical presence' thing now

AndySmith1990

McT hides all the time. Yet people still defend him. What ETH is doing starting him is beyond me
It feels like amateur hour. Ten Hag sees mctominay score a couple last minute goals against Brentford, and then suddenly he's starting every game. It's that simple. Forget tactics and players who are suited to the style you want to implement. A midfielder just needs to score a couple and he's promoted to important player. It's like the manager has completely given up on his original plan and is now making it up as he goes

Trex

It feels like amateur hour. Ten Hag sees mctominay score a couple last minute goals against Brentford, and then suddenly he's starting every game. It's that simple. Forget tactics and players who are suited to the style you want to implement. A midfielder just needs to score a couple and he's promoted to important player. It's like the manager has completely given up on his original plan and is now making it up as he goes
This is the most frustrating thing at United. You have to be bold enough to stick to the plan. I thought we were getting a manager who would be dogmatic about playing proactive football and I also thought he'll build a team around young prospect from the academy and smart signings. Instead he went about chasing Frenkie like a kid in a candy store. And after that very expensive Casemiro and 100m Antony.
We need a builder and Ten Hag isn't one, maybe if we get a DOF who can oversee things then we can make it work with ETH otherwise he may not be the right man for the job.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Fellaini was at least thrice the player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His use of this player alone really shape(d) ten Hag’s time here for me. I recall @Rozay saying something earlier in his tenure about McTominay being a make or break factor for ten Hag’s time at the club, and I think it was correct. The frequency of use of a player so alien to the style he wants us to play is just beyond me.

Never seen him as truly wanting to control matches and play on the front foot because of this and this being more of a fan imposed thought owing to the fact the manager flew by at Ajax.

Roboc7

Maybe we can put to bed the 'he's a physical presence' thing now
The idea some have he is a good box to box player is being put to bed as well, he’s absolutely useless at it and looks completely lost unless he’s making a run into the right channel.

Roane

Honestly would keep McT at UTD. He is a good lad from what I've seen and isn't one to grumble and do a Marcus on the pitch.

The travesty isn't Scott being a UTD player, the travesty is he is a starting player at UTD.

Scott is actually quite versatile, like a John Oshea if you will. He is the player you have on the bench to cover multiple positions IF needed. And gets a few cup games as starter.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
What makes him a fine squad player? He's not a fine squad player because he can't contribute the minimum levels of competency for a central midfielder, namely getting on the ball, making himself available and tracking runners defensively. Mainoo is an example of an ideal squad player. A youngster with all the requirements and lots of promise who would ideally be managed into the team gradually, behind some proper first choice midfielders.
No he's not. A squad player is somebody who can either come in and keep the team ticking over in the same way that the first choice player is, just not quite at the same level, or alternatively a player who can act as a valuable alternative option if we want to play a different way.

Scott doesn't do either of those things. He is such a huge decline in quality in whatever position we use him in, and his inability to get involved has a negative impact on the team as a whole. The only thing keeping him remotely useful even in this very poor team is that we've somehow bought in players either worse or similar quality (VDB, Sabitzer, so far Mount and Amrabat but it's early days), sold a player that was comfortably better (Fred), the manager doesn't want to use a younger player (Hannibal and even Gore), and we've got a few injuries (Casemiro and Eriksen). It's an incredible failure of squad-building over the last half a decade. In any kind of decent midfield line-up he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad, and that's what we should be building towards.

Pretty much the only thing Scott might be any good for is to bring him on in the last 10 minutes if we're desperate for a goal. But even that should be someone who is a better player overall. He's basically a less useful and less hard-working Fellaini.
Seriously speaking, can you tell me how McTominay is better than Darron Gibson? Cos Gibson had a better shot and was happier with the ball at his feet.

I have seen a lot of madness in the Man Utd midfield. I have seen Sir Alex try to make Alan Smith a midfielder. I have seen John O'Shea play half a season next to Ryan Giggs in midfield. However, I rate those experiments much higher than trying to get McTominay take the ball off the back four and get us moving.

McTominay is going to get Ten Hag fired if he keeps playing. He's just not good enough. Phil Neville in central midfield would be levels above.
I stand corrected. I probably rate him higher than I should because I love those late runs into the box. He shouldn't be playing in a CM of 2 against a fair number of teams, that I've been aware of.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His use of this player alone really shape(d) ten Hag’s time here for me. I recall @Rozay saying something earlier in his tenure about McTominay being a make or break factor for ten Hag’s time at the club, and I think it was correct. The frequency of use of a player so alien to the style he wants us to play is just beyond me.

Never seen him as truly wanting to control matches and play on the front foot because of this and this being more of a fan imposed thought owing to the fact the manager flew by at Ajax.
Indeed. What I said as soon as he joined was that his approach to McTominay would determine my own opinion of him as a coach. People have to understand that I was so excited to get a coach from a great Ajax side that played the game based on Ajax principles. However, confirmation of what we were getting would have been drawn by what he did with Scott. Simply put, my view was that he couldn’t possibly be the coach I think/want him to be and see Mctominay as a viable midfield option.

I remember Ole joined as only an interim coach and the first thing he did was put an end to this Fellaini nonsense. He was sold within weeks. Ole is a United man, and you could tell that he and the others had been watching from the outside and thinking Fellaini was never a United midfielder. I expected the same from Ten Hag. As it is, Scott has survived two summers, and has played plenty of games. Ten Hag is not the coach I thought he was. Mourinho and Ole playing Scott was within character for them. It isn’t for Johan Cruyff or those from that school. I knew quite early because of this that I’d been miss sold a dream, and he has ultimately come out to confirm that in recent interviews about his football. I get annoyed when I keep reading things about ‘Ten Hag’s football’ on here. People have decided what Ten Hag’s football is, and for some reason, it seems to be something that does not look like Ten Hag’s football. So they will say things like AWB or Varane don’t suit ‘his football’, and there is no evidence of his football being what they claim it to be at all.

Until we can shed this historic tripe about players just covering grass and showing heart, we will never move forward.And starting Scott in centre midfield in some sort of hero ball hope he can grab a goal, next to another midfielder who deploys a similar approach means we will not control football matches.

Alemar

McT is a fine squad player
McTominay is a shit squad player. He cannot pass, he cannot control the ball, he doesn’t have any vision, he lacks defensive awareness. He is useless in midfield.

The only two things he can (occasionally) do is shoot and win headers - that’s essentially all of his qualities.

stevoc

Why did Ten Hag chase Amrabat all summer but doesn't trust him over McTominay?

McTominay was awful last night but why is he playing?

Yorkeontop

meonbottom

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
At best he is a third rate player without an ego. I mean I saw more determination and grit from Tom Cleverley in his 55 appearances for us than MCT’s 155.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Why did Ten Hag chase Amrabat all summer but doesn't trust him over McTominay?

McTominay was awful last night but why is he playing?
The answer isn't too complicated.
Like the other players of his choosing, Amrabat isn't very good and isn't suited to the league. He is slow, ponderous and isn't very physical.
McTominay scored those two goals against Brentford, and since ETH isn't able to implement any style of football due to his bad purchases, he is trying to buy a goal from somewhere and thinks McTominay is a goal threat.

stevoc

The answer isn't too complicated.
Like the other players of his choosing, Amrabat isn't very good and isn't suited to the league. He is slow, ponderous and isn't very physical.
McTominay scored those two goals against Brentford, and since ETH isn't able to implement any style of football due to his bad purchases, he is trying to buy a goal from somewhere and thinks McTominay is a goal threat.
Neither is McTominay, at least Amrabat can pass.

In isolation I would say ok but he's starting to prefer existing squad players over his own signings. That's a sure sign of a struggling manager.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

In isolation I would say ok but he's starting to prefer existing squad players over his own signings. That's a sure sign of a struggling manager.
He is lost for ideas. Has gone to the very basic of back to the wall defending and counter attack. McTom is almost playing as an attacking midfielder who gets in the box and has a decent shot on him. Also, he can help on the defensive end during free kicks and corners.

Edit: On Amrabat - he can pass the ball when he is under little pressure. As soon as he pressed, he is as erratic as anyone in this team. I see folks keep mentioning his good performance in the Conference league final, but in that game too he only looked good in the first half when West Ham were happy to sit back and cede possession. He wasn't very good as soon as they applied a little pressure in the second half.

Mmm-Qatarian

At this point I'm honestly laying the blame on Ten Hag rather than McTominay. It's REALLY fecking obvious at this stage what McTominay's strengths are, and that basically none of them are tailored towards a deep-lying midfielder, so the blame has to lie with the manager for persisting with him in a role that he's quite patently not good at.

This is a problem we've had with a number of managers now, though. McTominay will score a few goals, which is a legitimate strength of his, and for some godforsaken fecking reason he'll then be playing in a deeper role for game after game.

Oldyella

Especially with the quality of those squad players. This isn't P Nev or O'Shea hitting a bit of form as the holding midfielder for half a dozen games and keeping someone out. He's a midfielder who hides from the ball.

Bobski

At this point I'm honestly laying the blame on Ten Hag rather than McTominay. It's REALLY fecking obvious at this stage what McTominay's strengths are, and that basically none of them are tailored towards a deep-lying midfielder, so the blame has to lie with the manager for persisting with him in a role that he's quite patently not good at.

This is a problem we've had with a number of managers now, though. McTominay will score a few goals, which is a legitimate strength of his, and for some godforsaken fecking reason he'll then be playing in a deeper role for game after game.
But he's not playing in a deeper role. That is the whole point, the inanity of Ten Hags set up leaves the DM exposed.

Biggest issue with McT yesterday was losing every physical challenge, he got bullied by Joelinton.

Expect him to out of the team now, have been scraping by getting a few results but the set up was never going to work even medium term.