2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

dubplate warrior

So much hate..cant believe this. Why dont you do your job as fan and support the club and the player? Especially when he is one of our own? The agendas are getting out of hand. Ignore all the turdy, incompetent performances from him. Just SUPPORT.

Top reds, am I doing it right?
Fair play, you really have mastered sarcasm

edgecutter

Honestly would keep McT at UTD. He is a good lad from what I've seen and isn't one to grumble and do a Marcus on the pitch.

The travesty isn't Scott being a UTD player, the travesty is he is a starting player at UTD.

Scott is actually quite versatile, like a John Oshea if you will. He is the player you have on the bench to cover multiple positions IF needed. And gets a few cup games as starter.
A fecking oxymoron of a post. You want to keep Scott as a squad player, but think he's a travesty if he starts. A squad player will start games when needed due to numerous factors over a season. if McTominay is not good enough to come in and do a job he shouldn't be classified as a 'squad player' he's not at the level and shouldn't be here.

So many other clubs get rid of their academy products when they realised that they haven't a future at the club. How the feck has this club allowed Scott McTominay to remain here and also have the audacity to think he's worth 45 million?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Comparing McTominay to O'Shea is such an insult to O'Shea.

ayushreddevil9

A fecking oxymoron of a post. You want to keep Scott as a squad player, but think he's a travesty if he starts. A squad player will start games when needed due to numerous factors over a season. if McTominay is not good enough to come in and do a job he shouldn't be classified as a 'squad player' he's not at the level and shouldn't be here.

So many other clubs get rid of their academy products when they realised that they haven't a future at the club. How the feck has this club allowed Scott McTominay to remain here and also have the audacity to think he's worth 45 million?
Squad players are generally capable enough to do a job when they are needed. Everything goes into the gutter when this guy plays.

C'est Moi Cantona

It is a bit mad that Ten Hag is playing Mctominay so much, he had his mind made up about it seemed, and rightly so, but a few goals and bit of good press then he's back in, you could say the same about Maguire, for all that he looks good right now.

I mean we are still playing crap, but he is doing with players we know he doesn't rate.

STYLOISRED

Maybe he should stop hiding from the ball and actually make himself useful when we have possession.
If he does what next?? He is terrible on the half turn and apart from brute strength he has no technique to evade any coordinated pressure.
Truth of the matter is that Scotty while being a good lad is severely limited and not man utd standard in any way. But the fact that ETH still plays him because he pops up with goals is a damning indictment on ETHs so called "coaching" acumen because it's clearly not tactical.

If Kalvin Philipd started popping up with goals every 3/4 matches Pep wouldn't rewrite his tactical plan to fit him would he??

stevoc

Especially with the quality of those squad players. This isn't P Nev or O'Shea hitting a bit of form as the holding midfielder for half a dozen games and keeping someone out. He's a midfielder who hides from the ball.
It's puzzling to say the least. I don't know what his plan for this season was, but I don't imagine it was to build the team round players he wanted to sell like McTom and Maguire. Preferring them to his own summer signings. Nor playing the likes of Dalot and Rashford out of position over his own signings also.

Roane

There are players who start when the main player/s are/is injured or needs rested. This is where Scott comes in

Scott starts and has started as the main player in a two. He isn't good enough.

I'm not sentimental. The whole academy, one of our own only holds value of the player adds something.

For me Scott is third choice. He is however versatile. He can play multiple positions. It's always useful to have such a player.

The reason I mentioned Oshea wasn't because I think Scott is as good. Simply another player on lowish waged who we could stick anywhere and he would do a job.

stevoc

He is lost for ideas. Has gone to the very basic of back to the wall defending and counter attack. McTom is almost playing as an attacking midfielder who gets in the box and has a decent shot on him. Also, he can help on the defensive end during free kicks and corners.

Edit: On Amrabat - he can pass the ball when he is under little pressure. As soon as he pressed, he is as erratic as anyone in this team. I see folks keep mentioning his good performance in the Conference league final, but in that game too he only looked good in the first half when West Ham were happy to sit back and cede possession. He wasn't very good as soon as they applied a little pressure in the second half.
Well we aren't an effective team on the counter. Ten Hag doesn't seem to be able to set us up for that.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You'd have thought given we were starting an 18 year old in midfield that Scott would try and be more demanding on the ball to help his young colleague through a tricky game.

Touches: 45
Passes: 38
Pass Success: 92%

Touches: 31
Passes: 24
Pass Success: 92%

McTominay played 18 more minutes than Mainoo when we were at our strongest in the game. Guess who's stats are who's...

edgecutter

There are players who start when the main player/s are/is injured or needs rested. This is where Scott comes in

Scott starts and has started as the main player in a two. He isn't good enough.

I'm not sentimental. The whole academy, one of our own only holds value of the player adds something.

For me Scott is third choice. He is however versatile. He can play multiple positions. It's always useful to have such a player.

The reason I mentioned Oshea wasn't because I think Scott is as good. Simply another player on lowish waged who we could stick anywhere and he would do a job.
He isn't versatile! John O'Shea was versatile (albeit an average player), Scott played at CB for us and was awful. He can't play any position in midfield with any sort of competence and that should be enough evidence to get a transfer fee and move him on.

jem

It is a bit mad that Ten Hag is playing Mctominay so much, he had his mind made up about it seemed, and rightly so, but a few goals and bit of good press then he's back in, you could say the same about Maguire, for all that he looks good right now.

I mean we are still playing crap, but he is doing with players we know he doesn't rate.
It's infuriating. One thing I really loved about Ten Hag last year was that he made a clear move towards getting the likes of McTominay and Maguire out of the starting 11. It's fair to say Maguire's been good lately and he deserved massive credit for his attitude, but he isn't the long-term solution moving forward - last year, it appeared ETH was cognizant of that; I'm not so sure now. The fact that Lindelof, Maguire, and McTominay have been starting regularly for us says it all about this shite season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
At this point I'm honestly laying the blame on Ten Hag rather than McTominay. It's REALLY fecking obvious at this stage what McTominay's strengths are, and that basically none of them are tailored towards a deep-lying midfielder, so the blame has to lie with the manager for persisting with him in a role that he's quite patently not good at.

This is a problem we've had with a number of managers now, though. McTominay will score a few goals, which is a legitimate strength of his, and for some godforsaken fecking reason he'll then be playing in a deeper role for game after game.
:confused:

ETH has been playing McTominay basically as a second #10 for the last two months. And while he's been a decent goal-threat in that position, his all-round performances have been even worse than how he normally plays when he's deeper. Meanwhile we're getting utterly dominated and overrun since we are effectively playing with one midfielder, at a time that pretty much every other team is trying to increase how much pressure and control they exert in midfield.

McTominay spent most of his first few years being played as a #8. He wasn't good enough. Then for the 6 months under Rangnick and another 6 months or so last season he was played as a #6, and wasn't good enough. Now we're playing him as a #10 and he isn't good enough.

Alemar

McTominay spent most of his first few years being played as a #8. He wasn't good enough. Then for the 6 months under Rangnick and another 6 months or so last season he was played as a #6, and wasn't good enough. Now we're playing him as a #10 and he isn't good enough.
Maybe it’s time to start NOT playing him at all? It just might be the best usage of his talents

Ludens the Red

It’s amazing but basically every time he scores it’s inevitably at a detriment to the team because it means he’ll keep playing .

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We have the worst midfield options of any top half club I've ever seen.

Blood Mage

He's a somewhat decent goal-scoring midfielder who'd bang in some goals with two world class midfielders behind him doing most of the work and providing creativity. We don't have that though so right now playing him especially alongside Bruno is suicidal and pointless.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He's not even that physical. He loses duels despite his size. He jogs and wonders around. There is a myth that he's some physical beast barging players. Joelinton does that. Not Scott.

He's good in the box and that's it.

el3mel

The one who came up with the Fellaini comparison was spot on, putting aside the fact Fellaini is twice the player, but he's for Ten Hag what Fellaini was for LVG and Mourinho. Both of them tried him once as a big target upfront and he got some goals, thus they decided to make him a key player in the team and hoof balls to him to cover for the team's complete lack of attacking organization.

Ten Hag tried Scott once in a game and he scored 2 goals, thus decided to play him as a main starter every game and use him even up front, trying to replicate this game again. He has no clue and Scott was just a means to save his job somehow.

So yeah, we have finally replaced Fellaini with a worse version. This is a proof the club hasn't moved a single inch forward since LVG.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The one who came up with the Fellaini comparison was spot on, putting aside the fact Fellaini is twice the player, but he's for Ten Hag what Fellaini was for LVG and Mourinho. Both of them tried him once as a big target upfront and he got some goals, thus they decided to make him a key player in the team and hoof balls to him to cover for the team's complete lack of attacking organization.

Ten Hag tried Scott once in a game and he scored 2 goals, thus decided to play him as a main starter every game and use him even up front, trying to replicate this game again. He has no clue and Scott was just a means to save his job somehow.

So yeah, we have finally replaced Fellaini with a worse version. This is a proof the club hasn't moved a single inch forward since LVG.
I think others might have coined it before me, but I'm certainly banging that drum hard.

That being said, I do feel as though Ten Hag has tried to move on a lot of these players - to no avail. He's working with the goal threat he has. Rashford certainly isn't one at the moment, Hojlund can't seem to buy a goal and the Sancho/Antony/Greenwood debacles this season has meant he's only got Martial left (who we've been trying to shift as a club for years) and Garnacho. Not to mention everyone thought this was Amads year to kick on and he's not kicked a football for us this year.

I feel for Ten Hag and his attacking options, but he's going to lose his job if he hangs hit hat on Scott as one of the first names on the team sheet.

Rossa

People who say they like McTominay (as a footballer - probably a great person), why? What about his play do you like? I'm honestly very curious about this.

JoaquinJoaquin

I was devastated when we never sold him in Summer, and now he has somehow managed to start every game. He is the epitome of the state of the club.

lex talionis

McTominay's sole attribute is being a target man late in a game when we're chasing a goal.

klayton88

McTominay's sole attribute is being a target man late in a game when we're chasing a goal.
In which case bringing him on around 70mins isn't a bad idea. How this passenger (overall) is still playing for this club is criminal. He wouldn't start for half of other prem teams.

El Jefe

That’s EtH for you. He thinks quick fixes are a good strategy to ride out even when it’s obvious there’s a very short shelf life for that change.

Weghorst as the No.10 got ran into the ground because it worked for two games. He played Bruno on the right to accommodate this change and made us worse.

Mctominay scored a couple of goals and now he sees that as something that can be repeated for the next ten games.

ayushreddevil9

That’s EtH for you. He thinks quick fixes are a good strategy to ride out even when it’s obvious there’s a very short shelf life for that change.

Weghorst as the No.10 got ran into the ground because it worked for two games. He played Bruno on the right to accommodate this change and made us worse.

Mctominay scored a couple of goals and now he sees that as something that can be repeated for the next ten games.
So...just 3-4 games left

Bobski

In the interests of fairness,

Utd have won more games with McTominay in the team than out his season.
The football was no better with him out of the team unless you want to put massive importance into a league cup match against Palace on a training run.
He is not playing in a midfield 2 and has quite clearly been given instructions to push as high as possible.
Ten Hags mad tactics are a Ten Hag issue.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This is a passionate defence of a very average player.
Rather its a passionate defence of a player against blatant scape goating. Plain and simple

Also, you are wrong in the bold part. Fred always had a MUCH higher defensive contribution than Scott and general play too.

Go and look for yourself here > https://www.squawka.com/en/comparison-matrix/
Fine let's use squawka:

In the 2020/2021 for example when they started the vast majority of our games. In terms of defensive contribution:
Aerial duel success: 61.5% Scott 3.14% Fred
Ground duel success: 58.13% Scott Fred 49.09%
Blocks: Scott 10 Fred 9
Clearances: Scott 43 Fred 21
Intecerceptions: Scott 29 Fred 45

The above clearly shows its utter myth Fred outstrips Scott in defensive contribution.

Its the same with passing. There is this new myth Fred far out stripped Mctominay in passing. Yet inspite of passing more
(Total touches: Scott 1698 Fred 2233, total passes attempted: Scott 1297 Fred 1806)

They have a nigh statistical dead heat in terms of pass accuracy ( Scott 87.05% Fred 87. 71%). Proving my earlier assertion that new myths have sprung up about Fred's partnership with Scott and the relative perfornance compared to one another since he left.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Every player on the pitch has to contribute to gaining control and possession.
No they don't! This is utter myth. I already fully explained this by citing some of the best teams from yester years that didn't use everyone to control and dictate possesion.
No succesful manager in the history of football has set up as you suggest when not having 11 players who can do so.

Obviously it's a sliding scale where different players and positions contribute different amounts, but the position that McTominay is holding is still one of the more important.....
Not in the system ETH employs. This the main reality detractors like you fail to accept: ETH does not employ a Mctominay tactically in a way he is essential to build up play! Its been blatantly obvious since he took over. It doesn't matter if he is employed in the double pivot. He won't be employed in the build up tactically because it is already known it isn't his strength! It is ALREADY known he'd not enhance the team if he is. (Yet here all you are berratng him for not being used in the one way he has NO business being used. Its baffling....)

This was the same case with ALL the prior examples I mentioned before. Y'all focussed on the fact they are better players than Mctominay instead, rather than the blatant fact NONE of them were essential to the build up and control of possession in the tactical system of the tactical setups they were employed in.

Harping on and on about Mctominay not showing for the ball during build up, when it is a blatant tactical reason why he doesn't is being absolutely disingenous. No ifs, buts or maybe's. It has utterly nothing to do with any level of ability Scott may or may not have. Nor does it mean I'd not prefer it if he didn't start regularly.

redcucumber

McTominay doesn't provide defensive stability, doesn't give us any semblance of control in midfield and doesn't ping it about or make decisive, defence splitting passes. On a basic level, he hides from the ball and regularly features as one of the lowest passers of the ball in the whole team. As a midfielder, that isn't going to cut it. He's useless, outside of being a handy sub to throw on when we are chasing a game.