2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Mr Smith

Part of the reason he gets so many chances is that he abandons the midfield completely. If you're a genuine goalscoring midfielder you've got to make a choice between when you attack the box, when you attack the D or when you just hold position.

McTominay has no interest in the latter 2 and will just play like a striker in the attacking 3rd.

I don't want to sound too critical because he won us the game but his goals at a cost.
So should we just... play him as an outright striker? I used to scoff at this notion but I'm seriously reconsidering. He's a genuinely good finisher and us really intelligent with his runs. It's not like we have an abundance of scoring strikers.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So should we just... play him as an outright striker? I used to scoff at this notion but I'm seriously reconsidering. He's a genuinely good finisher and us really intelligent with his runs. It's not like we have an abundance of scoring strikers.
No we can't play him as an outright striker he doesn't have the ability to play as a lynchpin for our entire attack. Even if the idea was to be considered it would be as a second striker with the freedom to roam and ghost into the box (a much worse version of Scholes in 2000)

lysglimt

Scout
Not just clumsy but also a lack of technical ability.
The way he controlled the first ball, and the ball before scoring the first goal against Brentford shows that he has a quite good technical ability - those werent easy to control

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
McTominay had a good game tonight.
Banged in two goals also.
He was, deservedly, the MOTM.
well done lad !

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He is being tasked to make constant runs into dangerous area and you could see tonight against a messy team like Chelsea how much of a threat he carried. The obsession with his passing stats makes no sense given the role he is playing.

Did a ton of pressing high which kept Enzo out of the game, disrupted their defense constantly with his runs, but we focus on touches of the ball as the key indicator of involvement for his role. Just weird, if he is playing where Amrabat played tonight and is not on the the ball, totally fair.
You can say it 1000 times. They will still instead focus on how few times he passes because he isnt involved in build up play. Ignoring his pressing work and runs in the final third. Even if its blatantly obvious that is the tactical brief he is given

Ekeke

A shame for him that he missed the header and follow up shot as he could have had a hatrick. Was a dangerous forward weapon who got the goals to secure the points. Motm easily

Performance other than the goals wasnt impressive, but in this match he got the goals so we dont have to rate him without them.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
All the haters and moaners who cried please come forward and say sorry. You all are embarrassing to fellow united fans

bond19821982

Part of the reason he gets so many chances is that he abandons the midfield completely. If you're a genuine goalscoring midfielder you've got to make a choice between when you attack the box, when you attack the D or when you just hold position.

McTominay has no interest in the latter 2 and will just play like a striker in the attacking 3rd.

I don't want to sound too critical because he won us the game but his goals at a cost.
Or he is being asked to play like that. Come out of this "hate" once and think objectively. It has nothing to do with McT's interest but rather how ETH wants to play.

AndyMUFC

I'm still not sure about the midfield setup against good sides but all I can see is we definitely wasted him as a defensive midfielder for a few years. We've definitely found a place for him in the squad.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Dunno about that. Watched him closely (in S End tonight). Not good apart from goals.

If he hadn’t scored second, I’d have subbed him a while back.

Mate was screaming at him. I’ll take the goals though
To be fair it was compared to his other performances. Having Amrabat & Bruno close to their best helped a lot though.

Doracle

Is there any way we can play him as a false 9? Would allow us to play another midfielder and possibly give us much more control.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Credit where it's due, best game of the season for him with some really well taken goals.

All the haters and moaners who cried please come forward and say sorry. You all are embarrassing to fellow united fans
I'm sorry I've used his performances over the last 5-6 years to come to the conclusion that he's not good enough. I now realize I've been wrong all this time, he played well last night and has scored a few important goals this season which obviously means he's always been a fantastic player because that's how things work.

Let's all go into Bruno's thread now and apologize for saying he was good at pens which is clearly not true since he missed his last one.

Skills

Snitch
Or he is being asked to play like that. Come out of this "hate" once and think objectively. It has nothing to do with McT's interest but rather how ETH wants to play.
Then that is a suicidal way of setting up your team to play football.

Walters_19_MuFc

Continuing to show people why he's in the team. As I said before, he's putting in the type of performances ten Hag wants from Mount.

With Bruno playmaking (I do think we need another type in there), then Mount and McTominay can be the players tasked with running in behind and getting into the box.

NZT-One

Is there any way we can play him as a false 9? Would allow us to play another midfielder and possibly give us much more control.
Yeah lets bench the 70 million young striker who needs gametime to realise his potential for Scott Fecking McTominay. Great plan. Very forward thinking.

Should never again play as a defensive midfielder.
That song is being sung since 2018 I think.

gza the genius

I get that this is what he's being asked to do and he's obviously doing it well, I just don't see how we make this work against good sides. If this is what ETH is going to go with we need to find a way to get another midfielder in there.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I get that this is what he's being asked to do and he's obviously doing it well, I just don't see how we make this work against good sides. If this is what ETH is going to go with we need to find a way to get another midfielder in there.
Yeah I remember McT doing this against Leeds but he couldn't do it all the time. He's still McT.

Passitlikescholes

^This

Fairly sure that ETH would've yanked him off if he wasn't following instructions

Woziak

Personally I’ve always been a fan as a squad member or as an attacking midfielder, he’s an 8/10. I can’t stand him as DM or low CM.

He Doesn’t have the legs to charge round the pitch as DM or CM, he’s much better charging in the box as an AM or Number 8 in bursts and he’s highly efficient in that role

Scott a Decent squad player from the bench or to start in certain games.

Just for the non fans, our Scottie has scored 6 goals and 1 assists from 16 games for United and has 7 goals and 1 assists from 8 Scottish games.

So we have a midfielder who has 15 goal involvements in 24 games for club and country, why should we even consider selling him just as he’s coming to peak years. He’ll go to Newcastle for £50m and look a world beater, we should keep and hope he gets double figures in the PL this year.

I’m not saying he should start every game but he deserves a place in our 26 man squad without question.

Alemar

Well, well, well… I’ve been a very big critic of Scott lately. But it needs to be said, that - like it or not - he is currently our top goal scorer this season with 6 goals, not even being a striker.

A player - especially not a striker - deserves credit if he is the top scorer of the team. If he continues like that, maybe the tactics needs to accommodate for his passing deficiencies somehow, so that his attacking prowess is utilised to best effect.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
:lol:

1/2 games don't offset years of turdiness. Credit where its due but your post is the kind of an overreaction. You know, it was only Chelsea.

gajender

Personally I’ve always been a fan as a squad member or as an attacking midfielder, he’s an 8/10. I can’t stand him as DM or low CM.

He Doesn’t have the legs to charge round the pitch as DM or CM, he’s much better charging in the box as an AM or Number 8 in bursts and he’s highly efficient in that role

Scott a Decent squad player from the bench or to start in certain games.

Just for the non fans, our Scottie has scored 6 goals and 1 assists from 16 games for United and has 7 goals and 1 assists from 8 Scottish games.

So we have a midfielder who has 15 goal involvements in 24 games for club and country, why should we even consider selling him just as he’s coming to peak years. He’ll go to Newcastle for £50m and look a world beater, we should keep and hope he gets double figures in the PL this year.

I’m not saying he should start every game but he deserves a place in our 26 man squad without question.
Because ultimately he is not good enough even as squad player for a Top club and unless we have abandoned any notion of being one he should be sold while we can make some money on him and by the way he is no midfielder either .
And then some wonder why don't we progress as club or make money on players sale .

Grande

He’s one of the players that has always worked hard, apparently also in training, so I find it easy to enjoy it with him when he does well. He’s been a goal threat for a good while now, what is it, 13 goals in 24 games for United and Scotland? Today he was also mostly very sound in defense and distribution.

Enzo + Caicedo = 210m or something

Scott + Amrabat = domination!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
A valuable squad player. His goals masked his poor positioning today but they also won us the match. The sort of player every squad needs but it’s hard to argue he should ever be a “starting” midfielder for us. A quality squad player is what I’ve always seen him as. Has heart and work rate and intermittent quality.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's scoring too many goals. He was supposed to hide this for a while so we could sing him on the cheap and be could be our Doucoure replacement.

bond19821982

Credit where it's due, best game of the season for him with some really well taken goals.

I'm sorry I've used his performances over the last 5-6 years to come to the conclusion that he's not good enough. I now realize I've been wrong all this time, he played well last night and has scored a few important goals this season which obviously means he's always been a fantastic player because that's how things work.

Let's all go into Bruno's thread now and apologize for saying he was good at pens which is clearly not true since he missed his last one.
Sorry but sarcasm wouldn't help here. The level of abuse he had to endure here is so embarrassing to all of us. I had someone saying Gore should start above him going forward.

Seriously?

Son

He used to be a striker so Ten Hag sees that obviously more than his midfield capabilities which are as we all know limited.

Scott would be best used coming on late in games as a weapon much like Fellaini did. That’s how we would maximise his offerings. Same with Rashford actually :lol:

Despite Scott scoring goals he just is not and will never be a man you want in the middle of the park trying to play total football. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Alemar

Better at finding space in the box than Hojlund!
Yes, at finding space in the box and positioning himself for attacking headers he is currently better than Hojlund. Surprisingly, but visibly.