View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I have to assume he's there because no one else can score goals. But I just can't believe the downsides of having him in midfield outweigh the potential goals. We cannot control a football match with him in midfield.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Exactly this. We might be able to rob someone of nearly 50M.
It wouldn't even be a robbery. To teams who have no interest in controlling games, and just need a clogger to put himself about a little bit and be a threat from set pieces and knockdowns from the big lad up front, like West Ham or Everton, he's worth every penny of that.

Roboc7

It wouldn't even be a robbery. To teams who have no interest in controlling games, and just need a clogger to put himself about a little bit and be a threat from set pieces and knockdowns from the big lad up front, like West Ham or Everton, he's worth every penny of that.
No one is paying 50m for him, 30-35 is the limit. He wouldn’t get in West Ham’s team and no team in the bottom half is paying 50m for a 27 year old who is so inconsistent.

Andersons Dietician

Wonder If what he occasionally gives as a goal threat outweighs his ability to go hiding from the ball in the defensive areas. You look at Amarabat who is brave and wants the ball in difficult areas and gives others options. Then you watch McT run in to a space behind someone so it’s impossible for him to get the ball. Moments when we are under preasure and the sensible thing to do is drop in and give an offer as if he doesn’t we either go back to the keeper or lose the ball and he never drops in to the space to give a hand. Even if it’s the most obvious thing to do. He just doesn’t do it.

So his ability to score goals is great and everything but I think I’d sacrifice that for a more savy performer who would help us keep possesion and not turn the ball over as much.

Raven

He could probably play that soucek role that West Ham were playing pretty well.

lex talionis

A Scottish Fellaini who’s better with his feet but has no midfield game whatsoever.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
No one is paying 50m for him, 30-35 is the limit. He wouldn’t get in West Ham’s team and no team in the bottom half is paying 50m for a 27 year old who is so inconsistent.
He absolutely would. They've basically been playing Soucek as poundland McTominay this season anyway. He's Moyes or Dyche's dream of a player to stick behind the striker.

Of course it's a joke that he's that for us too.

Roboc7

He absolutely would. They've basically been playing Soucek as poundland McTominay this season anyway. He's Moyes or Dyche's dream of a player to stick behind the striker.

Of course it's a joke that he's that for us too.
He’d be a squad player there and they’re not going to spend 50m on a squad player. He also doesn’t work hard enough for a lot of these teams, they aren’t going to tolerate someone ambling around because they score goals here and there.

Either way as you say it’s a complete joke we have given him this role, you can often tell after about 10 minutes whether he is going to be effective or not but you also know manager will keep him on for full game either way.

UpWithRivers

Part of it comes from gimping Bruno in this weird no.8 role where he does more out of possession and in knitting play than McTominay. I have my fair share of complaints about the guy but he’s still our best creative outlet and moving him further from goal doesn’t help.

I’ll never get the line of argument that just because EtH wants the 2nd 8 to make late runs into the box to score somehow absolves whoever play that position from shit passes and nonexistent defensive work. Scholes scored his fair share from the same situation, or from hanging at the edge of the box, didn’t stop him from running a game.
Play Mainoo and Amrabat with Bruno/McT as no 10
Oh I agree to a degree. McTominay is not good enough and we need another option. Problem is he fkd us already with his signings. We are at a point that we cant afford to loose goal scorers even at the detriment of other parts of our play. Sure put Mainoo and Amrabat there with Bruno as a 10. Sounds good on paper but thats never been tried, plus one is 18, plus both won't score or create chances plus that leaves a strike force with what 4 goals between them? We have a worse scoring record than everyone bar a few of the bottom teams. Same reason why he plays Martial and an underperforming Rashford. Yes they havn't scored many and they cant run but they have proved they can score goals in the Prem. We need goals desperately!

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
He's not a midfielder, I don't know what he is but not a midfielder. I've never seen a midfielder so little involved in possession. Him playing leaves a huge gap open on midfield, he's a definite liability to play, doesn't matter how many goals he scores he should be playing on midfield.
He is a box to box midfielder. But ETH must setup a more direct tactic to maximize him. Mctominay won't suit possession, short passing football. That way you'll expose him.

kaku06

I’m resigned to the fact that he’s gonna retire here. He’s gonna dine out on those Brentford and Chelsea goals for the rest of his career here. The guy can survive anything. If he were a stark he even would have survived the Red wedding.

Lee565

Amazing, the guy has saved eth a few times this season and yet he is one of the players first in the firing line of getting criticised and demanding he is to be sold whilst weghorst mk2 in hojlund gets off lightly from our fanbase despite being a huge waste of 75 million.

Him and the likes of Maguire are not the main issue , it's all the money eth has wasted on flops that means we have gone back to relying on them to dig us out of a hole.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Amazing, the guy has saved eth a few times this season and yet he is one of the players first in the firing line of getting criticised and demanding he is to be sold whilst weghorst mk2 in hojlund gets off lightly from our fanbase despite being a huge waste of 75 million.

Him and the likes of Maguire are not the main issue , it's all the money eth has wasted on flops that means we have gone back to relying on them to dig us out of a hole.
He’s scored a couple of goals twice that’s all. Not withstanding all the games over the last 4 years when he’s been an utter passenger like today. Quite astonishing how someone so poor can have played over 200 games for Manchester United. It’s embarrassing frankly. And one thing his fan boys never seem to be able to answer, if he’s so good, such a goal threat etc, how come when he was apparently up for sale in the summer was there literally zero interest apart from one half hearted bid from that dinosaur Moyes? If he’s so good then why weren’t other clubs queuing up to sign him?

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Oh I agree to a degree. McTominay is not good enough and we need another option. Problem is he fkd us already with his signings. We are at a point that we cant afford to loose goal scorers even at the detriment of other parts of our play. Sure put Mainoo and Amrabat there with Bruno as a 10. Sounds good on paper but thats never been tried, plus one is 18, plus both won't score or create chances plus that leaves a strike force with what 4 goals between them? We have a worse scoring record than everyone bar a few of the bottom teams. Same reason why he plays Martial and an underperforming Rashford. Yes they havn't scored many and they cant run but they have proved they can score goals in the Prem. We need goals desperately!
He’s not a goal scorer though. Yes he’s scored a couple of goals in 2 games this season. How many goals in the Premiership did he get in the whole of last season? And the season before and the season before that?

UnitedRepublic

Mctominay scoring a few goals is the same as hitting the crack pipe feeling good. Sure, you feel blissful for a few hours but when the high wears off you realize you’re standing butt naked at a traffic junction eating rats out of a trash can.
Perfect analogy I would say. It doesn’t benefit our general play at all having him in the starting XI. We rely heavily on our wingers to create and our threat from central areas are non existant since we only got Bruno there who can’t dribble in tight spaces.

tob

He didn't have a good game today. How he stayed on for the whole 90 minutes is beyond me. The first goal I don't understand. Why just stick your leg out instead of using your body to get in front of Cook and cover the ball? His misplaced passes cost us today.

El Presidente

The main issue is somewhere in Florida right now.
The main issue is in the offices around Old Trafford. It was also on the bench and on the pitch today. There are so many fundamental things that are wrong that there's not a single thing that you can do that will magically fix this.
When it comes to Mctominay and Maguire, they are one of the main issues too. Yes, even Maguire. Because he, ultimately, can't give us what we need. He's very decent at defending, but not that much when it comes to building up, progressing etc.
If you want to be an elite team, you've got to be good at that. If you want to be good at that you can't have Maguire. Simple as that. Same is applicable for Scott, to an even bigger extend. A midfielder who's bypassed by his team because of his technical deficiencies. Unheard of.

NZT-One

That might be true but to put anybody on the pitch who ever managed to score a goal by simultaneously fecking the team surely isn't the way forward. Theoretically Amrabat could sit while Mainoo gives us a facilitator. He is also useful at defending next to Amrabat. Just as Amrabat is more than capable to pass a little more fancier. With those two, maybe we wouldn't be as open in the middle, therefor easier to counter, therefor more able to sustain periods of pressure. And generate chances like this. I don't know if that will work but I guess drawing games 0-0 because we cant score is better than losing to BOU because we neither can't score nor defend.

He is a box to box midfielder. But ETH must setup a more direct tactic to maximize him. Mctominay won't suit possession, short passing football. That way you'll expose him.
How is he a box-to-box midfielder? If anything he is a -to-box -fielder. He isn't adding anything to buildup (surely down to instructions at the moment but lets not act as if he would add anything if those instructions were different), he isn't adding anything in defense apart from his height with headers. And in attack he was good lately but won't have it easy if teams are stacked in the box and prepared for him.

MadMike

He didn't have a good game today. How he stayed on for the whole 90 minutes is beyond me. The first goal I don't understand. Why just stick your leg out instead of using your body to get in front of Cook and cover the ball? His misplaced passes cost us today.
He has not been subbed off since 21st Oct when he scored against Sheffield Utd. Since then he has started 12 games and played them all in full. For Ten Hag, it seems Scotty McTee always stays on whatever happens.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Missed the game today, but just watched match of the day. Dont know if its just the edit, but fecking hell. He looked absolutely dire. Several lazy inaccurate passes that led instantly to us being in trouble. His goals are worth something, but when hes shit, hes REALLY shit.

gaffs

This team will go nowhere with Scott McTominay in midfield.

The fact that Ten Hag starts him every game because of his goal threat shows a) how bad our forward line is and b) how desperate Ten Hag is for a short team fix.

Play Amrabat and Mainoo. Try and control the midfield. If the forwards can’t score, address that issue. Don’t break the midfield by keep playing McTominay just because he is a goal threat.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
He'll score a few more goals again and everyone will love him again

Eddy_JukeZ

@Rozay has always been bang on about Ten Hag and especially regarding his use of McTominay for the team's fortunes going forward.

AshRK

He is an absolutely limited footballer. Still feel we should cash in on him

emperortan

The most detrimental thing in football is not having fools in the lineup, but rather those fools occasionally shining once in a while. Bruno occasionally creates an assist after 200 missed passes. McTominay occasionally scores a brace after playing brain-dead football for 3 years. And you'll have to let them play as starters for another 7 seasons.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Every United thinks they can use McTominay as an effective box-to-box midfielder despite it failing for all previous United managers.

fallengt

The curious case of McTomminay.
But seriously, If United have to reply on players like McSauce, Maguire to win games then it will bite them in the ass at some point.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He’s the same as Rashford. If they’re not scoring goals, they’re useless because they contribute nothing else on the pitch.

This team isn’t good enough to carry passengers.

KD6-3.7

Now is the perfect time to sell him but knowing United they will offer him a contract extension with a pay rise.

Him scoring goals was always going to be dangerous because it would tempt Ten Hag to still play him as a No.8 with Bruno and leave us massively exposed through the middle, genuinely offers nothing else except the occasional goal but because our forwards suck he is somehow our top scorer in the league.

Amira

Indeed. What I said as soon as he joined was that his approach to McTominay would determine my own opinion of him as a coach. People have to understand that I was so excited to get a coach from a great Ajax side that played the game based on Ajax principles. However, confirmation of what we were getting would have been drawn by what he did with Scott. Simply put, my view was that he couldn’t possibly be the coach I think/want him to be and see Mctominay as a viable midfield option.

I remember Ole joined as only an interim coach and the first thing he did was put an end to this Fellaini nonsense. He was sold within weeks. Ole is a United man, and you could tell that he and the others had been watching from the outside and thinking Fellaini was never a United midfielder. I expected the same from Ten Hag. As it is, Scott has survived two summers, and has played plenty of games. Ten Hag is not the coach I thought he was. Mourinho and Ole playing Scott was within character for them. It isn’t for Johan Cruyff or those from that school. I knew quite early because of this that I’d been miss sold a dream, and he has ultimately come out to confirm that in recent interviews about his football. I get annoyed when I keep reading things about ‘Ten Hag’s football’ on here. People have decided what Ten Hag’s football is, and for some reason, it seems to be something that does not look like Ten Hag’s football. So they will say things like AWB or Varane don’t suit ‘his football’, and there is no evidence of his football being what they claim it to be at all.

Until we can shed this historic tripe about players just covering grass and showing heart, we will never move forward.And starting Scott in centre midfield in some sort of hero ball hope he can grab a goal, next to another midfielder who deploys a similar approach means we will not control football matches.
Excellent post