2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

sammyhol

Not even going to criticise him. We all know his weaknesses. The lone midfielder has had an impossible job all season, even moreso when it’s blatantly obvious you can’t do it.
1000%

I’m by no means a McT fan, especially in deeper roles.

But it blows my mind that in this game of all games, when without Hojlund we were clearly lacking presence up the pitch, he brings him on at DM.

Just Chuck him up top if you’re gonna play him.

The managers decisions are mind blowing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
My Go - To thread after every defeat or poor performance. There's a boatload of players who should be shipped out, but for some reason watching him play for us really hurts. Maybe it's the eternal groundhog day of every single manager stubbornly persisting with him despite the guy never being good enough. Depressing.
It's because unfortunately our whole play breaks down with him and he tends to also be at fault for the big mistakes too. It's hard to be too harsh, because he's just demonstrably not good enough. I just hope he can be replaced soon.

90 + 5min

no hater here, just simply fact. Using McTominay means sacrifice our midfield, which proved clearly matches after matches.
No, it means wanting to have different tactics. He shouldn't be playing as a last midfielder. Everybody knows that. Not together with Eriksen who is not tracking back and Fernandes who got pretty much free role. But there is no way you can blame him for goals. That is on Varane and Bissaka.

Walters_19_MuFc

We conceded 2 goals, from unchallenged shots by midfielders on the edge of the box, when your main man was supposedly playing DM.

He is an absolutely atrocious footballer.
So what you're saying is, if Mainoo was on, we'd not have conceded? I know you need someone to blame and you are desperately trying to prove your point, hence why you have completely moved the goalposts now, but this isn't a McTominay problem, this is a structural problem as I mentioned before. Go and read my previous post!

Against Villa, for example, if Evans wasn't on the line to block McGinn's shot, they'd have gone 3-2 up, as he was completely unmarked in the area. This has been a problem for a while now, even when we had Casemiro, and it hasn't been addressed. Unfortunately, there's a lot of fickle fans out there that are too quick to jump on the ''lets blame McTominay for everything'' bandwagon, instead of analysing the game in a sensible manner.

CallyRed

Every game McT plays as the deepest midfielder, we concede a cutback. Every United fan knows he lacks awareness both on and off the ball. Why does he even bother playing him deep? What did he expect to happen?

Then he put him up at 10 so we can punt the ball to him. What are these tactics?
Yep, there's an effective player there who isn't being helped by being put into positions where he is absolutely useless.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How has this man managed to fool so many managers into thinking he's a good midfielder? Clueless fans like me can see and have for so many years now. It makes no sense at all

mewnew11

Should never play as 6 anymore.
Rotate with Bruno or pay as striker or whatever. He is not a defensive midfielder.
Is he and attacking mid - no
Is he a controlling mid- no
Is he a defensive mid - no
Can he play 10 - no
Is he a striker - no

Wtf is he ??? Just a player whose role is to piss off United fans time and again.

United has become mediocre because we have such mediocrity like mctominay and lindeloff still playing for us .

Sigh!!!!

lost7

I now don't blame him for his performances, I blame the manager for playing him

saivet

Maybe you can blame him for the first but the second either he leaves the LB 2 v1 or he stays middle were there are 3 other Utd players against 1.
I think it's the lack of awareness for the 2nd goal but I agree. I actually think it's Evans who is positioned badly as he could have supported Dalot sooner or he should have pushed out to pick up Gibbs White as Evans was just stood in the box alone.

Pughnichi

I’m done. I’m exhausted watching this clown. Since his debut season I’ve always been of the opinion that he isn’t good enough. Nowhere near.

of course as a professional footballer, he has had the odd good game. But for a Manchester United midfielder he’s an absolute embarrassment.

90 + 5min

So what you're saying is, if Mainoo was on, we'd not have conceded? I know you need someone to blame and you are desperately trying to prove your point, hence why you have completely moved the goalposts now, but this isn't a McTominay problem, this is a structural problem as I mentioned before. Go and read my previous post!

Against Villa, for example, if Evans wasn't on the line to block McGinn's shot, they'd have gone 3-2 up, as he was completely unmarked in the area. This has been a problem for a while now, even when we had Casemiro, and it hasn't been addressed. Unfortunately, there's a lot of fickle fans out there that are too quick to jump on the ''lets blame McTominay for everything'' bandwagon, instead of analysing the game in a sensible manner.
Even previous seasons.

Here, if you can't have midfielders who can track back and pretty much play man marking on their midfielders, you need to have strong fullbacks. Bissaka and Dalot are so poor defending.

mattunited1978

doommonger
He's complete shite...but cant be mad at him today, theres a stupid bald cnut constantly putting him on the pitch to do jobs he cant do.

100% on the manager

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

I’ve never seen someone at this level jog around so aimlessly and have so little intent to actually be involved in the game. It’s genuinely hilarious there are people who think he works hard, always puts in a shift or never lets us down. He lets team down time and time again and is lazy, fact this is tolerated for such an ordinary player sums up why this club is a complete shit show.
I know it’s genuinely baffling. Feel like I must be watching a totally different player sometimes. He’s completely mediocre and lazy with it. But hey he spoke well after the game once and apparently ‘gets’ United so that’s alright then.

putzmcgee123

He's complete shite...but cant be mad at him today, theres a stupid bald cnut constantly putting him on the pitch to do jobs he cant do.

100% on the manager
That is where we should all be at. If we have seen enough to know this, ten Hag has no excuses.

Rustyspider13

McT is of one use only-as a kitchen sink option inside the opponents box while chasing a goal. That's it. He is a liability everywhere else. I can't blame the lad because he is just limited. I blame the people who didn't do all they could to get him to West Ham and I blame EtH for playing him in positions where he can't do the simplest things.

stevoc

His positioning for both of their goals was poor as the DM. But the blame lies with the management for bringing him on in that position, as supposedly it was a 'tactical' decision to replace Mainoo with McTominay.

Walters_19_MuFc

100% on the manager
All of McTominay's good work this season has come in the final third of the pitch. He's nothing special but he makes good runs and gets on the end of things. Therefore, I cannot understand why ten Hag made that change, which resulted in McTominay playing in the single pivot. Alternatively, he could have told Eriksen to sit, as he hasn't got the legs to get up and down (which was clear for the second goal) and allowed McTominay and Bruno to play higher up.

hobbers

"Love his attitude and personality, if only he had the ability and football intelligence worthy of playing for someone better than Raith Rovers"

Sanchez7

100% on the manager
Couldn't agree more. He is what he is, and isn't going to suddently develop into a good midfielder. It is the clowns that keep playing him that the anger should be directed at.

Roboc7

Is he and attacking mid - no
Is he a controlling mid- no
Is he a defensive mid - no
Can he play 10 - no
Is he a striker - no

Wtf is he ??? Just a player whose role is to piss off United fans time and again.

United has become mediocre because we have such mediocrity like mctominay and lindeloff still playing for us .

Sigh!!!!
He doesn’t have a position, he needs to play alongside two midfielders who do all the running, passing, tackling etc whilst he just ambles around and contributes here and there.

Thats why I see him struggling if he’s sold, no one in the Premier League will set up like that and he’d soon be benched at teams like Everton, West Ham etc because he doesn’t perform any other role well consistently.

Robbie Boy

One of the absolute luckiest players ever to have somehow made it out of the youth team and amassed over 200 games at first team level.

I'm guessing had he been released as an 18 year old, we never would have heard of him again. He's done well to get to level he has with his limited talent, but he's clearly not good enough.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I don’t want to be namecalling and saying he is shite, but the fact that he has had such a long and enduring career at United is probably the single biggest symbol of the malaise and lack of standards post-Ferguson.

He shouldn’t have 10 games for the club. The fact that he has over 200 is insane and symbolic of the malfunction and terrible decisions that have hampered the team and strangled the club from the top for the last decade.

Ten Hag is yet another expensive mistake and tonight they have both cost us yet again.

Idxomer

I'm not sure whether I'm more perplexed by managers who keep playing him or fans who defend him.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Ahhh, well that concludes everything then. :houllier:
Yeah well you seem to exclude him from all criticism. What did he actually do out there apart from trip a player? He isn’t a forward player, completely lacks the ability for that and isn’t a defensive midfielder and isn’t a box to box one. Literally what is the point of him? He doesn’t pick himself but how he’s managed to steal a living at a club like Manchester United is astonishing.

always_hoping

Ran around like a headless chicken and made United worse. Has zero positional sense or understanding of his defensive duties when united lose the ball.

Correct decision to not start him the wrong call to bring him on at half time.

AshRK

The sooner we sell him the better. He will just score some random goal and suddenly manager will start loving him. Atrocious game awareness for a mf.

morree

Guess anyone can be a professional fotballer now days if this clown can do it. How he still gets game time is beyond me, if he doesn't score he has to be up there as one of the worst player in the premier league.

kaku06

I’ve made peace that he’s gonna retire here. That cnut Mourinho lumped him on us and all the useless shit managers followed.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah well you seem to exclude him from all criticism. What did he actually do out there apart from trip a player? He isn’t a forward player, completely lacks the ability for that and isn’t a defensive midfielder and isn’t a box to box one. Literally what is the point of him? He doesn’t pick himself but how he’s managed to steal a living at a club like Manchester United is astonishing.
Not at all. Look at my posts on here. I've identified when he has good and bad games. What I don't like is the constant scapegoating of a player.

We were fecking shite for 45 minutes in that first half, not even registering a shot, and people have come in here to blame him for the loss.

Yes, it was 0-0 when he came on, but the way the game was going, Forest were always going to score, hence why ten Hag made the chance. It all looked too much for Mainoo out there. The strange decision for me was putting McTominay as the single pivot and not higher up, which is the position he's had success in this season.

CannibalSpectre

Here we have another poor player who has overstayed his welcome. To many he's still this young academy player with a bright future as a leader at the club. Stay young McTominay, stay forever young!

putzmcgee123

Then so be it. We're all waiting for a whitewash of the club
No complaints from me at this point. While it remains true that any manager will fail to succeed here until sufficient corrections to the hierarchy are made, he deserves to go. Just incomprehensible to me that he would choose this as a hill worth dying on when it is clear as day to all of us that the midfield is completely broken when Scott is out there.

RedIan

McT talks a good game, verbally passionate after a game, in reality he is a a hopeless sitting midfielder. Should have followed Fred out of the club

Valencia Shin Crosses

His positioning for both of their goals was poor as the DM. But the blame lies with the management for bringing him on in that position, as supposedly it was a 'tactical' decision to replace Mainoo with McTominay.
It's on both of them. It's not like McTominay is a former winger that's never played in the midfield much less DM before. I'm not letting his incompetence off the hook just because our manager is equally incompetent

erikcred

McT talks a good game, verbally passionate after a game, in reality he is a a hopeless sitting midfielder. Should have followed Fred out of the club
He plays exactly like he sounds in his interviews. Dumb af.