2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

FerociousCorgis

I think we'd be stupid to sell, and find this talk a bit mental tbh.

We'd get what, maybe 30m? Your not going to get someone coming off the bench and scoring winners like he can for that price.
could not disagree any more with that. There is easily value you can find for 30 million that you can scout for. A club should always be scouting for top starters, not for late subs to look for desperation goals. We have to believe that the new group coming in will put in place a proper scouting system, or there is no point in following and putting ourselves thru more pain.

lex talionis

Wrapping this up on comparing McTominay to Fellaini, there are some striking resemblances. Both were pretty clumsy with the ball, but Fellaini definitely was the more physically imposing player. Neither disgraced the club off the pitch, which unfortunately is something we’re seeing way too often with United players.

Teja

I'm liking him more and more tbh. Throw him in when we're chasing a game and he finds a way to sniff out an opportunity (and also convert it these days). Throw him in when we're defending a lead and he puts in a shift and is very useful on set pieces.

Don't have him start every game but there's definitely a place for him in the squad. He could start against Luton for example and bang in a couple.

Bobski

I don't get the more mobile. Fellaini worked much harder on the pitch than McTominay has ever done. If one can say one thing about Fellaini, he worked his socks off and had great stamina: https://theathletic.com/2181229/2020/11/05/marouane-fellaini-everton-manchester-united-belgium/

McTominay isn't a strong runner. He's slow; he doesn't track back well. He's decent running with the ball as he's quite strong, but he's not mobile for a midfielder.
Top speed in CL matches this season from Uefa

McT 32.5 Kph
Casemiro 29.8 kph
Mainoo 27.6kph, but only 48 mins played so a tiny sample size
Eriksen 30.2kph
Bruno 33.9kph
Mount 31.2 kph

Declan Rice 32.8kph
Odergaard 30.2kph
Rodri 29.8kph
Bellingham 32.5

He is most definitely not slow for a midfielder and his reported 5k time of 16.01 during Covid would make it ridiculous to suggest that he is not a strong runner.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

McT 32.5 Kph
Casemiro 29.8 kph
Eriksen 30.2kph
Bruno 33.9kph
Mount 31.2 kph

Declan Rice 32.8kph
Odergaard 30.2kph
Rodri 29.8kph
Bellingham 32.5

He is most definitely not slow for a midfielder and his reported 5k time of 16.01 during Covid would make it ridiculous to suggest that he is not a strong runner.
Wow. 16 minutes for 5k is very respectable indeed.
McTominay is never going to set the world alight. But he has improved by adding a goal threat.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
If McT is happy with his role as an impact sub with the odd start here and there then IMO we keep him, finding a replacement for the same kind of money and expectations would be extremely difficult and probably risky

Ekeke

Have you ever played football?

The most influential thing a player can do is score. McTominays been doing that. I dread to think where we’d be without his goals this year.
There are 90+ minutes of football. Sounds like you've never even watched a full game and only watched the highlights

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's done very well and has scored some very important goals for us this season. And I think ten Hag has utilised him correctly in a very advanced role where his lack of quality as a midfielder doesn't hinder us nearly as much as it has done previously. But I feel the timing is good now (even better than last season) to sell him in the summer and bring in a alternative player or two, who will bring more to the team as a whole. I think for example if we sign Amadou Onana and a replacement striker in place of Martial, then I don't see why keeping McTominay would make sense from a footballing perspective.

So for me, selling him at the end of the season when he's on a upward trajectory is the way to go. The way we we're utilising him isn't sustainable if we want to get back to challenging the best teams.

Ekeke

I think we'd be stupid to sell, and find this talk a bit mental tbh.

We'd get what, maybe 30m? Your not going to get someone coming off the bench and scoring winners like he can for that price.
I certainly dont think "We should sell at £30 million" but I also don't think that if we were going to sell it would be that much more. Maybe £40 million at a push for a club that really wants him

Is coming off the bench and scoring because you are worse than the starting players actually better than starting matches and scoring lots of goals?

For example Chris Wood has 7 goals in 10 games starting. Meanwhile he's played plenty from the bench - 11 games with 1 goal. Well if you want a goalscorer start him and you have it. He's played almost half the minutes of McTominay and has the same amount of goals. Despite him scoring goals as your starting striker is he worth £30 million or more? Even if he was 27 like McTominay I dont think so.

Adebayo has 9 league goals in 14 starts as a striker and 3 goals in 1 start behind the striker and then 2 off the bench in 11 games. All in all he has 9 goals in less minutes than McTom and he has 2 of the 4 goals McTom has off the bench. So again more goals if you start him than McTom but less off the bench. Is he worth £30 million or more? He's a year younger this time. I dont think so.

There are your options from the premier league alone. McTom is more likely than they are to score off the bench and they are better at scoring if they start the match but because of their better records you'd want to start them more. Both have spent less minutes on the pitch equaling or scoring more than McTominay

Chris Wood was picked up for £14.5 million last summer from Newcastle
Adebayo was signed for an undisclosed small fee after joining Walsall for free the year before.

£30 million is significant money especially for someone who doesn't play enough to start and has never been a high profile player. Again I don't think £30 million is a bite your hand off offer for him. I just dont think its an unreasonable amount to offer Manchester United last summer when we're signing new midfielders and looking to improve on him. And I dont think the value has risen astronomically because that was already a large amount for what he was producing before his goals this season.

What I do believe is that we have young players coming through who are going to be better than him and especially attacking ones, so if he did leave it wouldnt be long before we had a few more new McTominays developing and some of them might be able to translate their goalscoring from previous levels whilst being a lot better playing between the goals. We'll be fine, we've lost much better players and done fine and I think development now is better than it was in nearly all those circumstances. Rashford for example came in because of injuries and not having strikers, so he got his chance against Arsenal. And Mainoo has already shown he can get a couple of goals from playing in CM without having a weak display other than the goal. So he may develop as a goalscorer as well.

He was starting to become a bit of a crutch when he was starting. He'd score every 3 or so matches, but in each of those matches he'd be one of the main reasons why our midfield looked worse than our opponents in general play throughout the match. Now we have the perfect role for him, when we want to get an extra body in the box at the cost of losing some of the team shape and defensive solidarity we can bring him on and he's a guy who can turn the ball in or get on the end of a cross. Its a good role.

But if you're half decent at spending money £30 million will get you a starting player for teams above us in the league. They absolutely are not all full of players that cost more than £30 million.

Oh one more thing. We seem to have no money at the moment at the end of last summer with the Amrabat shuffle where we seem to have been stiffed for a huge loan fee because we'd communicated to them that we'd be buying him outright and then we didnt have any money to make that work. And with what we did in Jan... So all the more reason why £30 million is more money than usual for us.

Last edited:

georgipep

He's done very well and has scored some very important goals for us this season. And I think ten Hag has utilised him correctly in a very advanced role where his lack of quality as a midfielder doesn't hinder us nearly as much as it has done previously. But I feel the timing is good now (even better than last season) to sell him in the summer and bring in a alternative player or two, who will bring more to the team as a whole. I think for example if we sign Amadou Onana and a replacement striker in place of Martial, then I don't see why keeping McTominay would make sense from a footballing perspective.

So for me, selling him at the end of the season when he's on a upward trajectory is the way to go. The way we we're utilising him isn't sustainable if we want to get back to challenging the best teams.
It requires him wanting to leave though.

Rossa

McT 32.5 Kph
Casemiro 29.8 kph
Eriksen 30.2kph
Bruno 33.9kph
Mount 31.2 kph

Declan Rice 32.8kph
Odergaard 30.2kph
Rodri 29.8kph
Bellingham 32.5

He may be as strong a runner as he wants to be on a treadmill. However, when has he ever shown this in matches? Constantly chasing opponents three yards behind because he fails to anticipate a move or is wronly placed. Being slower than Bruno isn't a brilliant yardstick. I have no idea about how fast Bellingham is, but I seriously doubt he would keep up with Rice in a footrace. Casemiro has never been fast. Mount may not be fast in a 100m race, but his acceleration is far better than McTominay.

It's not as if he hits 35 km/h +. He's an average runner, as you prove with those stats. On top of that he lacks acceleration and agility, so mobile he is not, although he can cover ground if he wants to. I'm not saying he lacks stamina, but fast he is not and he doesn't apply himself well on the pitch.

NZT-One

I certainly dont think "We should sell at £30 million" but I also don't think that if we were going to sell it would be that much more. Maybe £40 million at a push for a club that really wants him

Is coming off the bench and scoring because you are worse than the starting players actually better than starting matches and scoring lots of goals?

For example Chris Wood has 7 goals in 10 games starting. Meanwhile he's played plenty from the bench - 11 games with 1 goal. Well if you want a goalscorer start him and you have it. He's played almost half the minutes of McTominay and has the same amount of goals. Despite him scoring goals as your starting striker is he worth £30 million or more? Even if he was 27 like McTominay I dont think so.

Adebayo has 9 league goals in 14 starts as a striker and 3 goals in 1 start behind the striker and then 2 off the bench in 11 games. All in all he has 9 goals in less minutes than McTom and he has 2 of the 4 goals McTom has off the bench. So again more goals if you start him than McTom but less off the bench. Is he worth £30 million or more? He's a year younger this time. I dont think so.

There are your options from the premier league alone. McTom is more likely than they are to score off the bench and they are better at scoring if they start the match but because of their better records you'd want to start them more. Both have spent less minutes on the pitch equaling or scoring more than McTominay

Adebayo was signed for an undisclosed small fee after joining Walsall for free the year before.

£30 million is significant money especially for someone who doesn't play enough to start and has never been a high profile player. Again I don't think £30 million is a bite your hand off offer for him. I just dont think its an unreasonable amount to offer Manchester United last summer when we're signing new midfielders and looking to improve on him. And I dont think the value has risen astronomically because that was already a large amount for what he was producing before his goals this season.

What I do believe is that we have young players coming through who are going to be better than him and especially attacking ones, so if he did leave it wouldnt be long before we had a few more new McTominays developing and some of them might be able to translate their goalscoring from previous levels whilst being a lot better playing between the goals. We'll be fine, we've lost much better players and done fine and I think development now is better than it was in nearly all those circumstances. Rashford for example came in because of injuries and not having strikers, so he got his chance against Arsenal. And Mainoo has already shown he can get a couple of goals from playing in CM without having a weak display other than the goal. So he may develop as a goalscorer as well.

He was starting to become a bit of a crutch when he was starting. He'd score every 3 or so matches, but in each of those matches he'd be one of the main reasons why our midfield looked worse than our opponents in general play throughout the match. Now we have the perfect role for him, when we want to get an extra body in the box at the cost of losing some of the team shape and defensive solidarity we can bring him on and he's a guy who can turn the ball in or get on the end of a cross. Its a good role.

But if you're half decent at spending money £30 million will get you a starting player for teams above us in the league. They absolutely are not all full of players that cost more than £30 million.

Oh one more thing. We seem to have no money at the moment at the end of last summer with the Amrabat shuffle where we seem to have been stiffed for a huge loan fee because we'd communicated to them that we'd be buying him outright and then we didnt have any money to make that work. And with what we did in Jan... So all the more reason why £30 million is more money than usual for us.
100%

I understand the notion of being a soft spot for somebody who came through the ranks and was a reliable servant - but we are in no position to think about the quality of our sub options - we have to make sure the 1st team improves and we 2nd priority has to be making sure the quality isn't going to plummet in a year or two. Don't get greedy, every McTominay fan should think about i whether it is better to open the door for him to play as a starter and build his own carreer instead of being some sort of super sub who gets the light he gets right now because there is so much shadow in most of the other areas in the squad.

marktan

For me he's worth more than £30m if we're keeping him as a second striker type player. You won't get very many good forwards for that price.

As a midfielder he's not really worth that, because he lacks a lot of qualities to play in midfield. Well unless the team buying is west ham, in which case he is as he'd basically be playing the Soucek role.

Withnail

If McT is happy with his role as an impact sub with the odd start here and there then IMO we keep him, finding a replacement for the same kind of money and expectations would be extremely difficult and probably risky
Absolutely. There's definitely a place in the squad for him as an impact sub who's got an eye for goal. His goals have been worth something like 12pts this season. With the right additions in the Summer we won't have to rely on him starting too many PL games.

Withnail

One point to note is that Ratcliffe is putting in 300m which can be offset against FFP, and the Covid miscalculation won't be happening again, so I don't think we should have many problems in that regard in the future.

foolsgold

Absolutely no rush to move him on, he's apparently on one of the lowest wages in the squad at 60k. If he's happy to play for the next two years of his contract then move on a free then great. it's not like we paid a transfer fee.

There's plenty of players like Antony on 200k a week that bring nothing to the team that I'd have out of the door first. If we're losing a second choice midfielder it'd be Eriksen before Scott for me.

We're going to have to be really careful with wages, Garnacho and Mainoo are clearly going to need large pay rises in the next 12 - 18 months to reflect their importance to the team. While a lot of this can be funded by diverting Martials wages towards them, we should seek to keep an effective, cheap player. What we don't want to do it give him a new 5 year deal on double his present wages, but we probably will.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He may be as strong a runner as he wants to be on a treadmill. However, when has he ever shown this in matches? Constantly chasing opponents three yards behind because he fails to anticipate a move or is wronly placed. Being slower than Bruno isn't a brilliant yardstick. I have no idea about how fast Bellingham is, but I seriously doubt he would keep up with Rice in a footrace. Casemiro has never been fast. Mount may not be fast in a 100m race, but his acceleration is far better than McTominay.

It's not as if he hits 35 km/h +. He's an average runner, as you prove with those stats. On top of that he lacks acceleration and agility, so mobile he is not, although he can cover ground if he wants to. I'm not saying he lacks stamina, but fast he is not and he doesn't apply himself well on the pitch.
He's a strong runner when he's got the ball at his feet. Not so much in any other aspect, either when his team is in possession or out of possession. That's more a mental thing not knowing what he should be doing rather than a physical limitation IMO, although obviously the end result is the say.

Rossa

He's a strong runner when he's got the ball at his feet. Not so much in any other aspect, either when his team is in possession or out of possession. That's more a mental thing not knowing what he should be doing rather than a physical limitation IMO, although obviously the end result is the say.
I agree, as a midfielder, his biggest strength is running with the ball. He does that quite well. However, then he needs to pass it at some stage and things change... he's arguably a better long range passer than short range passer - very strange. His positioning in midfield is all over the place but rarely where he needs to be. That is also a bit strange as his positioning and anticipation running into positions in the box are actually rather good.

edgecutter

He can't play midfield, but this has been evident for years. Hopefully he keeps scoring so we get a decent fee for him.

Red Rash

Invisible. I barely remember him doing anything in the entire half. We should have brought on Eriksen as we were crying out for someone who could hold the ball.

WirralRed

Yeah drives me mad when he comes on in Midfield, we can all see we loose so much control (not like we ever have much anyway) and you just know it’s going to be more chaotic.

Roboc7

He’s great coming on to attack the penalty area but he offers very little beyond that. Was brought on 20 minutes too early but suppose wasn’t anyone else to bring on instead.

MVP_88

He’s great coming on to attack the penalty area but he offers very little beyond that. Was brought on 20 minutes too early but suppose wasn’t anyone else to bring on instead.
Eriksen? Amrabat?

NZT-One

Hopefully a reminder to some of posters that without a goal, he isn't really offering too much.

Ekeke

He's a midfielder who performs like the old number 9 poachers who have so few touches and involvements that you might forget they are playing when they arent on the scoresheet. But they can finish

edgecutter

Don't know what stream I was watching yesterday, but the commentary made a great point about him "Scott really offers nothing in the build up play for Manchester United". His goal scoring this year has been great, but it isn't the norm. How he played yesterday is and that isn't good enough.