Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHaze

I'd prefer Declan Rice. Wouldn't mind £20m for Longstaff though but more than that no.

DoubleRevv

There are real similarities with Carrick - and I hadn't read any comments about him to be honest.

The floating diagonal pass to switch play, 2 footedness, Calm tackles...I like him and I didn't even know who he is 10 minutes ago.

At rumored price, he could be a bargain.

Sign him up!!

Nufc

Supports
Newcastle United
Alright lads, found my way here to see what you made of the Longstaff link and thought I'd offer some insight. He's wonderful, and, unusually for a lad his age, consistent too. Doesn't put a foot wrong. He's not just a prospect, he's already looking a really good player. In his games for us he's been motm in just about all of them. Those who aren't excited by him should be. The sad news for you is that you've got zero chance of getting him for the figures being banded around. I think if Rafa stays he builds his side around him and wouldn't even contemplate cashing in. Of course that might change after a season or two and the wider footballing world realises how good he is, and an eye watering bid arrives.

Oh and if it is OGS that is keen, that's a positive sign for Man Utd because he knows a player when he sees one. And whilst I don't think you'll get him, signing players on their way to the top is what I think mufc need to return to

Reactions: Penna

SteveW

Alright lads, found my way here to see what you made of the Longstaff link and thought I'd offer some insight. He's wonderful, and, unusually for a lad his age, consistent too. Doesn't put a foot wrong. He's not just a prospect, he's already looking a really good player. In his games for us he's been motm in just about all of them. Those who aren't excited by him should be. The sad news for you is that you've got zero chance of getting him for the figures being banded around. I think if Rafa stays he builds his side around him and wouldn't even contemplate cashing in. Of course that might change after a season or two and the wider footballing world realises how good he is, and an eye watering bid arrives.

Oh and if it is OGS that is keen, that's a positive sign for Man Utd because he knows a player when he sees one. And whilst I don't think you'll get him, signing players on their way to the top is what I think mufc need to return to
Thanks for the input. He looks great in the clips tbf.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

He for sure looks a very good prospect. How much do you think it'd take for Ashley to sell?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Why do you think we have zero chance with something around £25m?

He hasn’t been playing that much with you which sums up his current transfer value isn’t high (United is trying to take advantage from it). The player might have performed everytime he played, but if your board prefers business & got no clue about football then I think they will sell with the figures being banded around, in fact they might sacrifice him so they can have the money to offer a contract to Mata for Benítez which more profitable as a player.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I know transfers aren't easy per se, but surely this is the kind of thing even big Ed should be able to sort?

Presumably the player would love a move, and Ashley loves money. So...erm...with the injury surely it's a no brainer for everyone?

luke511

He hasn’t been playing that much with you which sums up his current transfer value isn’t high (United is trying to take advantage from it). The player might have performed everytime he played, but if your board prefers business & got no clue about football then I think they will sell with the figures being banded around, in fact they might sacrifice him so they can have the money to offer a contract to Mata for Benítez which more profitable as a player.
Everyone at Newcastle will know of his potential, and they'll know if he gets another full season under his belt that value will probably double. I imagine it'll take a figure around £35-40 million for Mike Ashley to overrule and say yes to the transfer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Everyone at Newcastle will know of his potential, and they'll know if he gets another full season under his belt that value will probably double. I imagine it'll take a figure around £35-40 million for Mike Ashley to overrule and say yes to the transfer.
I think they set between £15m to £20m on Hayden, if one of their main XI midfielder who have played more than 50 games are set for that price, I can’t see Ashley to refuse anything between £25m to £30m for a midfield who is only 2 years younger (22 yo this year) and hasn’t even reach 15 games for the club.

I think if Ole really wants the player, Ed must act this summer before his price can potentially be much higher. Ed deserves massive credit if he can land the player for just £25m this summer, only if the player turns up to be quality player in the future.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Not much downside in waiting a year to see if he can perform for a full PL season. Buying him now would be like signing Wan Bissaka last summer.

luke511

Not much downside in waiting a year to see if he can perform for a full PL season. Buying him now would be like signing Wan Bissaka last summer.
Apart from him doubling in price and attracting interest from other clubs?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Downside is he could be potentially cost much higher if he ends up to be very good player. Might end up with £50m to £70m. Won’t be surprised if Newcastle will give him another contract if he does well. More clubs will target him.

I don’t see much downside if we sign him for a peanut now. If he fails to perform then we move on, £25m is nothing compared to £50m on Fred or something bigger gamble £120m on Felix.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Apart from him doubling in price and attracting interest from other clubs?
We would be the favorite the sign him even if other clubs jumped into the mix and you are going to have to spend big to buy players from other PL clubs regardless.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We would be the favorite the sign him even if other clubs jumped into the mix and you are going to have to spend big to buy players from other PL clubs regardless.
How are you convinced with this one? Unless if we offer him 200k p/w we will be the favourite without a doubt, but that will the downside.

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
There is no way Newcastle will sell him for 25 million pounds,and in terms of quality longstaff is far ahead of Rice.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
688 PL minutes
He showed in those minutes that he can pass the ball to a high level with either foot and was brilliant against Chelsea and City. His energy levels are desribed as outstanding too by regular observers. From a pure footballing pov he's more talented than Rice.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Only a couple months of Premier League foot all and a serious knee injury. Sounds like a very risky deal.

AgentP

This example doesn't really support the point you are making. Signing AWB last year would have been a brilliant piece of business as he is now worth more than 50m.

Nufc

Supports
Newcastle United

Benitez has final say on all transfers, it's in his contract and would without question be in any new one he signed. The only reason he hasn't been playing that much for us is because he got injured after his emergence. When he returns he'll be first choice. Why would we sell him for £25m? He's got a long contract, his value will only increase when people realise how good he is and we couldn't replace him for a player as good for £25m. We're talking about the best English midfield prospect in the country, you aren't getting him for £25m. Benitez knows how good he is, by going in early you're not going to be getting some kind of bizarre early bird special. And for all of Ashley's many, many faults, selling off our best players on the cheap isn't one. See Carroll, Sissoko etc.

Reactions: KM

Nufc

Supports
Newcastle United
He for sure looks a very good prospect. How much do you think it'd take for Ashley to sell?
It'd be Benitez who decides and it'd cost more than you'd probably be willing to pay at this stage in his career so I honestly think it's a none starter. It'd need to be a sum that would make Benitez think he can both replace him and improve other areas with the proceeds. And quality players aren't cheap.

UpWithRivers

Why not just structure a deal based on appearances. 20 now + 30 after x amount of games. That's a good deal both sides.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There is no way Newcastle will sell him for 25 million pounds,and in terms of quality longstaff is far ahead of Rice.
Quality is quality. But the issue here is that he has only played small amount of games, players who are above 21 getting their professional contract don’t just have high transfer value by only playing 11 games. Rice played lot of games, he was crucial in West Ham’s season, overhyped by media which makes his transfer value very high; in contrast with Longstaff’s season.

If it’s up to Benítez then I would say no chance getting him 25m but if it’s up to the board who got no clue about football we have a good chance getting him for 25m.

Benitez has final say on all transfers, it's in his contract and would without question be in any new one he signed. The only reason he hasn't been playing that much for us is because he got injured after his emergence. When he returns he'll be first choice. Why would we sell him for £25m? He's got a long contract, his value will only increase when people realise how good he is and we couldn't replace him for a player as good for £25m. We're talking about the best English midfield prospect in the country, you aren't getting him for £25m. Benitez knows how good he is, by going in early you're not going to be getting some kind of bizarre early bird special. And for all of Ashley's many, many faults, selling off our best players on the cheap isn't one. See Carroll, Sissoko etc.
But Carroll & Sissoko contributed massively in Newcastle season. Longstaff might played well when he played, he might be quality but 11 professional games at age of 21/22 isn’t enough to make his price sky rocket. I think this will be depend on whether Benítez really will get the final say or the board end up accepting the deal before his contract is finalised.

UpWithRivers

Quality is quality. But the issue here is that he has only played small amount of games, players who are above 21 getting their professional contract don’t just have high transfer value by only playing 11 games. Rice played lot of games, he was crucial in West Ham’s season, overhyped by media which makes his transfer value very high; in contrast with Longstaff’s season.

If it’s up to Benítez then I would say no chance getting him 25m but if it’s up to the board who got no clue about football we have a good chance getting him for 25m.

But Carroll & Sissoko contributed massively in Newcastle season. Longstaff might played well when he played, he might be quality but 11 professional games at age of 21/22 isn’t enough to make his price sky rocket. I think this will be depend on whether Benítez really will get the final say or the board end up accepting the deal before his contract is finalised.
And the player. His heart is Geordie but his head will say Utd. They could quite easily convince him to stay but if he wants out they will take 25/30

Nufc

Supports
Newcastle United

You're showing a startling amount of poor knowledge here. How many games Longstaff has played is irrelevant to the fee he would command. The fee is whatever it'd take to convince NUFC to sell, and they don't want to sell, he isn't for sale, so it'll be high. Sissoko was garbage for Newcastle, we were laughing at the fee we got. And Carroll, just like Longstaff, had only a handful of Premier League games under his belt when sold. So take the Carroll fee, adjust for inflation and you'll be approaching something like what it might cost to get Longstaff.

And any suggestion that Ashley is going to throw a hand grenade into the middle of contract negotiations with Benitez and start selling players against his will is fanciful to say the least.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
that's all we need to know he's the next Pirlo
As opposed to Rice whose hyped up into an incredible DM despite playing for lowly West Ham and people not knowing whether he's a defender and midfielder.

Nobody is actually calling this fellow the next Pirlo. But if he's got more quality on the ball than Rice then that shouldn't be hard to spot.

We need an rvn

As opposed to Rice whose hyped up into an incredible DM despite playing for lowly West Ham and people not knowing whether he's a defender and midfielder.

Nobody is actually calling this fellow the next Pirlo. But if he's got more quality on the ball than Rice then that shouldn't be hard to spot.
perhaps you didn't get that I was being sarcastic buddy ;)

The post I was replying to was in a reply to say he looked like a deep lying playmaker, hence my Pirlo comment

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
We're looking to finalise this one according to Ogden.

More clips I see the more interested I am, nice passes off both feet.

arthurka

We're looking to finalise this one according to Ogden.

More clips I see the more interested I am, nice passes off both feet.

I hope we do, he has been an outstanding player everytime I have seen him play for Newcastle this season. I hope we nail this deal and James quickly.

beingshe7don

Way to go Ole, Ed and the board... We're on our way to securing 6th in the league next season. I can't wait to see James, Longstaff, Archer, Tom, Dick & Harry start for us next season along with Young and the Pussy Cats (aka Smalling & Jones).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Going for the likes of this is mid-table levels of ambition.
People would have said the same if we had signed Carrick from just-relegated West Ham. In fact people did say the same when we signed Carrick from Spurs.

Similarly, I remember the criticism when SAF signed Fulham's ageing goalkeeper. Another low-ambition move that helped us to our most successful period in decades.

It amazes me that people who have presumably followed football for more than a handful of years haven't learned that these so-called low ambition signings can end up being extremely shrewd moves, while supposedly high ambition ones flounder and fail. It's a silly way to view our transfer policy.

Hawks2008

People would have said the same if we had signed Carrick from just-relegated West Ham. In fact people did say the same when we signed Carrick from Spurs.

Similarly, I remember the criticism when SAF signed Fulham's ageing goalkeeper. Another low-ambition move that helped us to our most successful period in decades.

It amazes me that people who have presumably followed football for more than a handful of years haven't learned that these so-called low ambition signings can end up being extremely shrewd moves, while supposedly high ambition ones flounder and fail. It's a silly way to view our transfer policy.
Yeah no doubt a player with maybe a dozen PL games and a torn ACL will be a shrewd signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.