Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
He showed in those minutes that he can pass the ball to a high level with either foot and was brilliant against Chelsea and City. His energy levels are desribed as outstanding too by regular observers. From a pure footballing pov he's more talented than Rice.
Rice is a high energy player as well. He also has a better pass success percentage per 90 (86.4%) compared to Longstaff (80.9) and he attempts more passes per game (44.6) to Longstaff (32.6). Longstaff does make longer passes and more key passes but Rice is more defensive minded.

Rice is the better overall player and he has the higher profile though, with more MOTM performances while being a year and some months younger. They are not like for like midfielders but if I had to pick one it would be Rice. Longstaff is merely a cheaper option IMO

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rice is a high energy player as well. He also has a better pass success percentage per 90 (86.4%) compared to Longstaff (80.9) and he attempts more passes per game (44.6) to Longstaff (32.6). Longstaff does make longer passes and more key passes but Rice is more defensive minded.

Rice is the better overall player and he has the higher profile though, with more MOTM performances while being a year and some months younger. They are not like for like or like midfielders but if I had to pick one it would be Rice. Longstaff is merely a cheaper option IMO
I don't really pay much attention to stats. But you're correct that Rice is a high energy player, but he isn't as good as Longstaff on the ball. Longstaff is a more cultured player with a excellent passing range. His performances against City and Chelsea were in particular impressive.

Longstaff is comfortably the superior ball player.

Saf94

This signing exemplifies what we have complained about for years and that's buying players who are effective to whatever system, ethos the club wants moving forward. It clearly highlights that after many years the club are clearly identifying targets on the premise of extensive scouting. This is essentially the crossroads we have needed, the parallel between Bale at Southampton, Hazard at Lille, Isco at Malaga, Aguero at A Madrid. By no means am I comparing the calibre of players, it's the contrast between when they have shown promise compared to when their stocks has risen.

We exist in a period right now in football financially where the market is disgusting, teams are more greedy than ever, agents are nothing but financial mediums, players will now do anything for money (Neymar one of the worlds elite players moving to the French league).

Fans put so much emphasis on us spending, the truth is we aren't like Arsenal with owners who refuse to spend, it's what we've brought which is the biggest problem. The best thing that Solskjaer has had under any manager since Sir Alex retired is that we are identifying the right players. We are addressing weakened positions (RW Sancho, center half, striker, two midfielders and a fullback). If we get those players or not that's a completely different story, the directive it's what's important.

Just because his name isn't Longstafflo-diaz people find it an underwhelming signing. What's more underwhelming is having to look at the likes of Matic, Fred, Periera, Herrera (good riddance) run around like headless chickens, not able to string two passes together, playing sideways football, no vision, creativity, execution and biggest of all not contributing towards the function of a balanced midfield. Pogba being marked out of games the midfield reduces to EFL league 1 standards.

We need players who will break this cycle that has transpired under three different managers in ten years, you remove Pogba and name promising midfield signing we have made ? I'd understand if we had a midfield consisting of Kroos, Pjanic, Kante etc but we have dross at our disposal. This is a desperate, desperate situation and Longstaff is a good target on the basis of what he offers the midfield not his surname or him being English.
Everyone talks about Liverpool but last year and a lot of times this year their midfield consisted of Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum. People have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to this stuff, most teams will have hard workers in midfield and creativity from upfront. Even Barca have moved towards getting hard workers such as Rakitic and Vidal.

Buying Pogba is buying the engine before you buy the car but now we’re piecing the car together and people are upset? Do people realise balance comes from stars being surrounded by role players? We keep signing quality but they don’t complement the stars we have, we need to get the best out of the guys we have now instead of trying to fit more big pieces into the jigsaw

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't really pay much attention to stats. But you're correct that Rice is a high energy player, but he isn't as good as Longstaff on the ball. Longstaff is a more cultured player with a excellent passing range. His performances against City and Chelsea were in particular impressive.

Longstaff is comfortably the superior ball player.
I can't say i've seen enough of Longstaff to comment on his ball playing ability but his compilation videos are underwhelming save for a few good long balls. For what its worth Rice dominated him when West Ham beat Newcastle on March 2nd. Rice even scored that day and Longstaff was subbed at halftime. Its actually going to be interesting to see how both players develop if Longstaff signs for United (I won't care otherwise).

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2019...n-longstaff-west-ham-united-newcastle-united/

This game was a good opportunity to watch two young English midfielders who are brimming with potential. With the added zest of coming up against each other, naturally, fans will compare and contrast the two.

Rice will grab the headlines for scoring a goal but beyond that, he put in a first-rate performance in defensive midfield. Longstaff failed to make much of an impact and, after being booked, was withdrawn at half-time for Mo Diame.

This wasn’t Sean Longstaff’s day, but there has already been ample indication of his potential. That said, Declan Rice looked like a more polished product and seems more than capable of filling the defensive midfield role that England fans have been crying out for.

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/...gstaff-debate-between-west-ham-and-newcastle/

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can't say i've seen enough of Longstaff to comment on his ball playing ability but his compilation videos are underwhelming save for a few good long balls. For what its worth Rice dominated him when West Ham beat Newcastle on March 2nd. Rice even scored that day and Longstaff was subbed at halftime. Its actually going to be interesting to see how both players develop if Longstaff signs for United (I won't care otherwise).

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2019...n-longstaff-west-ham-united-newcastle-united/

This game was a good opportunity to watch two young English midfielders who are brimming with potential. With the added zest of coming up against each other, naturally, fans will compare and contrast the two.

Rice will grab the headlines for scoring a goal but beyond that, he put in a first-rate performance in defensive midfield. Longstaff failed to make much of an impact and, after being booked, was withdrawn at half-time for Mo Diame.

This wasn’t Sean Longstaff’s day, but there has already been ample indication of his potential. That said, Declan Rice looked like a more polished product and seems more than capable of filling the defensive midfield role that England fans have been crying out for.

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/...gstaff-debate-between-west-ham-and-newcastle/
I don't disagree with anything you've posted here. Rice did have a good game against Newcastle that's for sure. I also like Rice but he's a different profile of player to Longstaff.

In Rainbows

This signing exemplifies what we have complained about for years and that's buying players who are effective to whatever system, ethos the club wants moving forward. It clearly highlights that after many years the club are clearly identifying targets on the premise of extensive scouting. This is essentially the crossroads we have needed, the parallel between Bale at Southampton, Hazard at Lille, Isco at Malaga, Aguero at A Madrid. By no means am I comparing the calibre of players, it's the contrast between when they have shown promise compared to when their stocks has risen.

We exist in a period right now in football financially where the market is disgusting, teams are more greedy than ever, agents are nothing but financial mediums, players will now do anything for money (Neymar one of the worlds elite players moving to the French league).

Fans put so much emphasis on us spending, the truth is we aren't like Arsenal with owners who refuse to spend, it's what we've brought which is the biggest problem. The best thing that Solskjaer has had under any manager since Sir Alex retired is that we are identifying the right players. We are addressing weakened positions (RW Sancho, center half, striker, two midfielders and a fullback). If we get those players or not that's a completely different story, the directive it's what's important.

Just because his name isn't Longstafflo-diaz people find it an underwhelming signing. What's more underwhelming is having to look at the likes of Matic, Fred, Periera, Herrera (good riddance) run around like headless chickens, not able to string two passes together, playing sideways football, no vision, creativity, execution and biggest of all not contributing towards the function of a balanced midfield. Pogba being marked out of games the midfield reduces to EFL league 1 standards.

We need players who will break this cycle that has transpired under three different managers in ten years, you remove Pogba and name promising midfield signing we have made ? I'd understand if we had a midfield consisting of Kroos, Pjanic, Kante etc but we have dross at our disposal. This is a desperate, desperate situation and Longstaff is a good target on the basis of what he offers the midfield not his surname or him being English.
Nobody has a problem with English players. I don't know why this keeps getting repeated on here. It's such a lazy argument made against people who are questioning it. The truth is, none of us have watched him enough to truly know what we'll get from him if he is signed and those that like the signing are putting all their weight behind our scouting network even though that same scouting network has failed us a lot of the time, which you have also pointed out. There's nothing wrong with believing in them btw because again, none of us have really watched these players enough to be that informed about them.

Still, it's completely understandable why people are questioning these targets.

Would people be angry over the signing of Max Aarons? No, because he's shown a lot more than Longstaff or James. Already in team of the year at age 19, young player of the year, and really technical. Longstaff and James are 21 years old. They're different profile to that of those two. Same with Ryan Sessegnon compared to Longstaff and James. He's English and just had a bad season in the PL, but at age 17, was Championship player of the year and of course, young player of the year. Or how about Dele Alli? He was young player of the year at age 18. Again, more accomplished and with more obvious talent.

I'm not sure why this foreign player narrative started. Maybe it's because people want Joao Felix? But again, completely different profile to that of Longstaff or James because he's done more at age 19 than they have at age 21. Same is true with Sancho, who has done more than Felix. AWB is also English and he's a forum favorite despite being the same age as James and Longstaff.

Please stop equating Longstaff and James to that of Evra, Mane, Alli, or Maddison. I'm not saying these guys will fail. Likewise, I also think players mature at different rates. But I do think it's understandable why people aren't behind these signings when we're in desperate need of quality, not quantity.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Nobody has a problem with English players. I don't know why this keeps getting repeated on here. It's such a lazy argument made against people who are questioning it. The truth is, none of us have watched him enough to truly know what we'll get from him if he is signed and those that like the signing are putting all their weight behind our scouting network even though that same scouting network has failed us a lot of the time, which you have also pointed out. There's nothing wrong with believing in them btw because again, none of us have really watched these players enough to be that informed about them.

Would people be angry over the signing of Max Aarons? No, because he's shown a lot more than Longstaff or James. Already in team of the year at age 19, young player of the year, and really technical. Longstaff and James are 21 years old. They're different profile to that of those two. Same with Ryan Sessegnon compared to Longstaff and James. He's English and just had a bad season in the PL, but at age 17, was Championship player of the year and of course, young player of the year. Or how about Dele Alli? He was young player of the year at age 18. Again, more accomplished and with more obvious talent.

I'm not sure why this foreign player narrative started. Maybe it's because people want Joao Felix? But again, completely different profile to that of Longstaff or James because he's done more at age 19 than they have at age 21. Same is true with Sancho, who has done more than Felix. AWB is also English and he's a forum favorite despite being the same age as James and Longstaff.

Please stop equating Longstaff and James to that of Evra, Mane, Alli, or Maddison. I'm not saying these guys will fail. Likewise, I also think players mature at different rates. But I do think it's understandable why people aren't behind these signings when we're in desperate need of quality, not quantity.
All of this. And people complain all day how the club lacks a structure or a DOF or a transfer committee, etc which is why the club keeps making poor signings. Who do people think are responsible for recommending James or Longstaff? Since a DOF and a transfer committee have not been hired/formed yet it would be same people that people spend all day complaining about here.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
They did not cost a lot of money but, Evra and Vidic were established players when they were signed. Evra played in a CL final for Monaco and Vidic was part of a Serbia backline that broke a record for fewest goals conceded in a World Cup qualifying campaign. De Gea won the Europa League as a 19 year old.

Not to make your argument for you the only successful recent signing we can compare Longstaff to is Chris Smalling.
Even Smalling was "a hot prospect" back then along with Phil Jones. They both were able to play as CB and RB as well.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Even Smalling was "a hot prospect" back then along with Phil Jones. They both were able to play as CB and RB as well.
Yeah but, I think once the transfer was finalized he had like 2 senior appearances for Fulham. Most of his appearances for Fulham happened after he had already agreed to sign for Manchester United.

oreon

Completely agree. Daniel James has played zero games in top flight football in any league. Longstaff has 9 games in the league. You'd have to be insane to think these kids are immediate solutions to our problems. If we are buying them as back ups so we can develop them longterm, that's fine. But we still need to go after main targets at these positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ekeke

Yeah but, I think once the transfer was finalized he had like 2 senior appearances for Fulham. Most of his appearances for Fulham happened after he had already agreed to sign for Manchester United.
Yep including 1 own goal against Chelsea. Played well apart from that but still, like 2 games in

beingshe7don

Great stuff chaps. Let's stick to buying big names because that truly guarantees success. And I hope you don't complain about us failing to sign good players before they become pricey.
Man City have done it. Barcelona have done it. Real will spend heavily this year. Bayern have also done it. Liverpool have come pretty close to winning the league and could possibly win the Champions League. Spurs may be the only team that I can think of that has bought shrewdly. There needs to be a happy medium of everything. We initially went for superstars and the ones we got, haven't really done much. Now we are going for the opposite spectrum by getting players that could possibly benefit us. We missed out on Champions League.... It's not like we are strengthening our bench. We need to bolster our first 11 and neither of those players are worthy of appearing in our first 11 just yet.... I guess James would be an exception. Either way, the clubs recruitment policy looks really crappy. It shows no plan at all. How are we to put ourselves in contention for a league challenge? I don't think the players being targeted will get us there. And the gulf between us and Liverpool/ City continues to widen.

haram

Rice is the better overall player and he has the higher profile though, with more MOTM performances while being a year and some months younger. They are not like for like midfielders but if I had to pick one it would be Rice. Longstaff is merely a cheaper option IMO
These stats mean nothing when you consider that Rice is playing more conservatively. Playing 10 more passes and completing 6% more when you are closer to a third CB than Longstaff is, is really not that impressive.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If it helps there were loads on here who thought Carrick wasn't good enough back in 2006 (and that you should be focusing on signing mascherano and torres) as well.

Par for the course on the caf to turn up its no at players that aren't big names.

Hughes35

Yep including 1 own goal against Chelsea. Played well apart from that but still, like 2 games in
To be honest I'd argue that whatever your opinion on Smalling, he has been a very good singing. Years of service, won trophies and will make a profit on him if sold.

We bought him for 8Million and will easily get 2 or 3 times that after years of him as a player.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If it helps there were loads on here who thought Carrick wasn't good enough back in 2006 (and that you should be focusing on signing mascherano and torres) as well.

Par for the course on the caf to turn up its no at players that aren't big names.
Michael Carrick had over 200 senior appearances and played in a World Cup when he was signed by the club. This would be like if we tried to buy Carrick in 2000 instead of 2006.

beingshe7don

James Garner isn't getting chances in the first team and here we are after Longstaff. Not sure, whose making these decisions.

Allas8

You can't just look at percentage, you also has to see where the passes are going. Rice moves the ball backward, while Longstaff moves the ball forward, there is a key difference in this two.

In Rainbows

James Garner isn't getting chances in the first team and here we are after Longstaff. Not sure, whose making these decisions.
This is my problem with the signing. If we're going to buy someone, I would rather it be someone who has proven themselves a bit more than James or Longstaff have done, and let Garner compete with that established player in the future. Instead it feels like we're buying Garner's competition in Longstaff, and we'll still need to buy a 2nd more established player. It's overkill.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Its called a squad. We need to bin the majority of our midfielders

AgentP

James Garner turned 18 two months back. Longstaff is 21. Garner is still a few years away from playing regularly.

yamo123x

Garner is not ready. Most of the people on here chucking his name into first team plans have prob never seen the kid.

Ekeke

To be honest I'd argue that whatever your opinion on Smalling, he has been a very good singing. Years of service, won trophies and will make a profit on him if sold.

We bought him for 8Million and will easily get 2 or 3 times that after years of him as a player.
I think this is extremely clear and yet there are a bunch of posters who would make it their life's work to come up with something to suggest he was a bad signing.

poleglass red

I honestly haven't seen this lad play so cannot comment on his ability. What I find strange is people mentioning his lack of playing time at Newcastle. We bought and people were happy when we got Dalot who had limited playing time in a weaker league, he also came to us injured. We also bought Lindelof who had little first team action again in a weaker league. If management see a role for him in their new set up, that should be a plus instead of previous managers buying players with big names and reps who were never going to fit the style of play we we wanted to play. Not every signing has to break the bank.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Garner is not ready. Most of the people on here chucking his name into first team plans have prob never seen the kid.
I get that impression, too. He's immensely talented, but that doesn't mean he's ready for first team football.

Red_toad

Obviously there's a plan by Ole. Bit hard for him to blood youngsters when the club are going for a Champions League spot. Also he's had zero activity in a transfer window bar getting rid of Fellaini. Now we'll see how Ole wishes to evolve the team. If buying someone to take over from Matic, then I'm all in favour of it.

SteveW

Garner is a good player but is probably a couple of years away from being a PL midfielder imo.

beingshe7don

Garner has been likened to Carrick by Ole. And if players like Garner aren't going to get game time, what has Longstaff done to deserve a better chance?

beingshe7don

James Garner turned 18 two months back. Longstaff is 21. Garner is still a few years away from playing regularly.
Age is never a decider if someone is ready or isn't. By that logic, Rooney should have just sat playing for the u23s in Everton. Although Garner is no Rooney but Garner needs to be given game time and getting players like Longstaff isn't going to give him those opportunities.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I honestly haven't seen this lad play so cannot comment on his ability. What I find strange is people mentioning his lack of playing time at Newcastle. We bought and people were happy when we got Dalot who had limited playing time in a weaker league, he also came to us injured. We also bought Lindelof who had little first team action again in a weaker league. If management see a role for him in their new set up, that should be a plus instead of previous managers buying players with big names and reps who were never going to fit the style of play we we wanted to play. Not every signing has to break the bank.
Looking back if the club signed a RB who was ready to be first choice instead of Dalot the club would not be looking for a new RB right now and Young would have been utilized left.

beingshe7don

Has played really well in the Premier League?
What's the point in running an academy when our own youth players aren't getting their chances to prove them selves? Greenwood, Garner, Gomes & Chong would have had around appearances for a team like Ajax and Dortmund by now...

AgentP

Age is never a decider if someone is ready or isn't. By that logic, Rooney should have just sat playing for the u23s in Everton. Although Garner is no Rooney but Garner needs to be given game time and getting players like Longstaff isn't going to give him those opportunities.
As you said, Garner is no Rooney. If the club had felt that he was ready to play a big part next season, we wouldn't be targeting Longstaff. We have Europa next season where we can test Garner and the other kids and find out which of them can actually step up.

luke511

What's the point in running an academy when our own youth players aren't getting their chances to prove them selves? Greenwood, Garner, Gomes & Chong would have had around appearances for a team like Ajax and Dortmund by now...
He's had numerous chances and fell short every time.

Longstaff looks like a rare talent with a lot of potential, similar to Rooney before we signed him. Going off your logic we shouldn't have signed Rooney because it blocked the development of our youth coming through? Your argument makes no sense. You can sign players and run a successful academy, like Ajax?

poleglass red

Looking back if the club signed a RB who was ready to be first choice instead of Dalot the club would not be looking for a new RB right now and Young would have been utilized left.
My point exactly. The scouting on Dalot wasn't extensive. For all his attributes he isn't quick enough to play full back in the pl, maybe right wing back and even then I'm not sure his attacking play is good enough. Typical utd we heard stuff like the new Ronaldo, blah blah and rushed in and bought him. My point is we need to buy players because they fit our system. If that's a world record fee so be it, but also if it's a rough diamond they think they can work with, then again so be it. But do the due diligence and not buy because of hype or because City were interested

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Longstaff looks like a rare talent with a lot of potential, similar to Rooney before we signed him. Going off your logic we shouldn't have signed Rooney because it blocked the development of our youth coming through? Your argument makes no sense. You can sign players and run a successful academy, like Ajax?
What??????????????????????????????///

Mcking

I doubt he'd be playing for Blackpool at 20 if that was the case. Probably closer to McTominay, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.