g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

I can't think of a more underwhelming potential signing, unless he can play predominantly as a holding midfielder. We really could do with some ballers in midfield.

luke511

What??????????????????????????????///
I doubt he'd be playing for Blackpool at 20 if that was the case. Probably closer to McTominay, but I could be wrong.
He's defensively solid, has deep playmaker capabilities and he's English, earning comparisons with Carrick. This combination is a rarity, and if he lives up to what he's shown so far he'll be one of the best English midfielders in the country. The comparision with Rooney is because he also was a rare talent, and we bought him for that and not what he had already acheived.

PS Beckham played for Preston when he was 20, doesn't mean much.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can't think of a more underwhelming potential signing, unless he can play predominantly as a holding midfielder. We really could do with some ballers in midfield.
I doubt anyone thought differently at first.
Now we're half hoping it's genius scouting from our guys, and If we want him I hope we get him

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He's defensively solid, has deep playmaker capabilities and he's English, earning comparisons with Carrick. This combination is a rarity, and if he lives up to what he's shown so far he'll be one of the best English midfielders in the country. The comparision with Rooney is because he also was a rare talent, and we bought him for that and not what he had already acheived.

The only young English player you can say is a rare talent like Rooney is Sancho.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The only young English player you can say is a rare talent like Rooney is Sancho.
I think @luke511 may be being a touch hyperbolic in the wording, but we actually have a drought of players like him in England. Its why Delph and Livermore manage to wangle call ups to the national team. We just stick CBs there, like Dier and Rice. He is very good for his age and a player profile most teams in the league are crying out for.

Righteous Steps

He looks great technically, has a bit of bite and work rate to match and is a sort of player in style and position, the type England rarely produces, Huddlestone, Carrick, later years Scholes, even Shelvey to a certain extent these are players we see every so often in England, the regista who relies on poise and guile instead of defensive solidity, Longstaff is one of those rare players, just because he isn’t Iberian shouldn’t take from his talent, a player who can play 50 yard passes with both feet is rare anywhere mostly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You can't think of a more underwhelming midfielder because you haven't heard of this one or watched him play. He looks very interesting from the clips (albiet there are few).

I reckon this deal could be off now due to Newcastle's imminent take over.

Mcking

Young Beckham was probably not as good as a young Rooney, but I could be wrong because I was barely an infant when Becks was 20. If Longstaff was a talent like Rooney, he surely wouldn't be playing for Blackpool at 20.
Anyway, Noble is also defensively solid, energetic and an even better passing range, but he is average.
Midfield play goes far beyond passing off both feet which everyone seem to be creaming themselves for. Does he have the guile, the technique, finesse and control in tight spaces?
He probably provides penetration, but how assertive is he in possession and how is his positional sense?
I will admit that the first time I watched him, I had to check Newcastle's XI to see who was pinging those passes but as I said, being a quality midfielder goes beyond passing range.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He looks great technically, has a bit of bite and work rate to match and is a sort of player in style and position, the type England rarely produces, Huddlestone, Carrick, later years Scholes, even Shelvey to a certain extent these are players we see every so often in England, the regista who relies on poise and guile instead of defensive solidity, Longstaff is one of those rare players, just because he isn’t Iberian shouldn’t take from his talent, a player who can play 50 yard passes with both feet is rare anywhere mostly.
At Newcastle he has been playing in a double pivot so we do not even know if he can play as a Regista.

Mcking

You can't think of a more underwhelming midfielder because you haven't heard of this one or watched him play. He looks very interesting from the clips (albiet there are few).

I reckon this deal could be off now due to Newcastle's imminent take over.
I've actually watched him once or twice, and his passing was decent. He was on the pitch against Chelsea or Leicester I think.
I reckon it would be an underwhelming 'signing' considering the circumstances. We desperately need some balance and quality in central midfield. I'd take a winger like James, wouldn't want us to sign a player on McTominay's level especially in such important position.

amolbhatia50k

I've actually watched him once or twice, and his passing was decent. He was on the pitch against Chelsea or Leicester I think.
I reckon it would be an underwhelming 'signing' considering the circumstances. We desperately need some balance and quality in central midfield. I'd take a winger like James, wouldn't want us to sign a player on McTominay's level especially in such important position.
For some reason becuase he's British everyone here has decided every 21 year old British player who isn't a household name is at Mctominay's level, as if he's some sort of representative of 21 year old British midfielders. We need balance and quality. Maybe this kid will add to that. I mean, the supposed quality we signed in Fred turned out to be a bit of a trainwreck last season.

Aloysius's Back 3

The reason I don't mind going for Longataff this stage is because players can improve here.

They don't need to come in and make the instant impact - players that have a good basic ability can improve here.

He has a good basic ability with the ball at his feet making long range passes - something mctomminay is not good at - hopefully he can improve that here.

amolbhatia50k

At Newcastle he has been playing in a double pivot so we do not even know if he can play as a Regista.
Oh no what will we do if he hasn't played as the lone deep lying playmaker for Newcastle.

I imagine scouting a player probably gives one a better indication than random guesses.

Sir Scott McToMinay

He's had numerous chances and fell short every time.

Longstaff looks like a rare talent with a lot of potential, similar to Rooney before we signed him. Going off your logic we shouldn't have signed Rooney because it blocked the development of our youth coming through? Your argument makes no sense. You can sign players and run a successful academy, like Ajax?
Excuse me, but are you insane?
Have you seen Rooney play?

Cliche Guevara

What's the point in running an academy when our own youth players aren't getting their chances to prove them selves? Greenwood, Garner, Gomes & Chong would have had around appearances for a team like Ajax and Dortmund by now...
This is absolute rubbish. Which club in the world plays half a dozen teenagers?

Seriously, people need to stop talking utter shite about Academy players.

luke511

I think @luke511 may be being a touch hyperbolic in the wording, but we actually have a drought of players like him in England. Its why Delph and Livermore manage to wangle call ups to the national team. We just stick CBs there, like Dier and Rice. He is very good for his age and a player profile most teams in the league are crying out for.
Thanks, I should've explained myself a bit more when I said rare talent, didn't expect the word 'rare' would confuse so many people.

Excuse me, but are you insane?
Have you seen Rooney play?
See above, I mean he has a combination of talents that don't often see in English midfielders, similar to Rooney's combination of talents you didn't often see in English forwards at the time. Shame I have to spell it out so clearly.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Thanks, I should've explained myself a bit more when I said rare talent, didn't expect the word 'rare' would confuse so many people.

See above, I mean he has a combination of talents that don't often see in English midfielders, similar to Rooney's combination of talents you didn't often see in English forwards at the time. Shame I have to spell it out so clearly.
It is still a ridiculous point after you spelled it out.

Allas8

Don't know what to tell you. By playing a bunch of teenager from our academy we build a dynasty that lasted 20 odd years or so. There was no end to teenager seeing game time from 1992-2012, most coming through our own ranks.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Explain how it's a ridiculous point? It's funny how you have such a strong opinion about a player you know nothing about.
It is funny that people have such strong opinions about a player who has not played much senior football expect one season in League One.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Too expensive if he costs more than £20m. I think Scott McTominay is our best DCM. Based on Squawka stats for last season (normalized to 1800 minutes - the peach numbers).

McTominay wasn't really playing DM for us though, he played box to box in Herrera's role. Fred and Matic were often the deepest midfielders when McTominay was playing.

Mark Pawelek

McTominay wasn't really playing DM for us though, he played box to box in Herrera's role. Fred and Matic were often the deepest midfielders when McTominay was playing.
Played box-to-box but does not do assists. That's still a DCM; just not the sitting DCM.

1st table has errors in player ages. 2nd table below is correct:

Explanation. Pink and green are copied Squawka stats. Peach numbers are normalized to 1800 minutes for fairer comparision.

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

Realistically if we signed him it wouldn't be as an automatic starter straight away and it wouldn't be for a huge fee. I don't see where the negative is on this.

The Newcastle takeover could play a big part in whether he's actually available though now.

Allas8

Guess I missread it, walked right into that one.

Anyway I do belive Longstaff is the sort of midfielder we should be looking for, if we picked him up a year ago over Fred we would be in much better shape today, but does not look likely that Newcastle is selling any time soon.

Mcking

For some reason becuase he's British everyone here has decided every 21 year old British player who isn't a household name is at Mctominay's level, as if he's some sort of representative of 21 year old British midfielders. We need balance and quality. Maybe this kid will add to that. I mean, the supposed quality we signed in Fred turned out to be a bit of a trainwreck last season.
McTominay's level would be a positive I'd say, Longstaff could be worse. Anyway, we really could do with a top quality central or attacking midfielder imo. I'd rather Rice than Longstaff because Rice is a defensive midfielder. I'm open to signing Longstaff too, though I'm not exactly excited about a potential transfer.

Hoof the ball

He's very similar to Carrick in terms of how he carries himself on the ball. His technique and passing style is very similar. This isn't an argument for comparative quality, obviously; only to say that there are stylistic similarities.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Played box-to-box but does not do assists. That's still a DCM; just not the sitting DCM.

1st table has errors in player ages. 2nd table below is correct:

Explanation. Pink and green are copied Squawka stats. Peach numbers are normalized to 1800 minutes for fairer comparision.
So on the normalised scale McT has the most passes completed and way more than most of the other midfielders?

Status
Not open for further replies.