Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fosu-Mens

No real weakness. Decent with both feet. Not slow or weak and operates over a large area. His ability on the ball is functional and despite not being as smooth as more technically capable players he makes it work, in most situations.

From what little i have seen of him, his best asset seems to be that he is extremely good at positioning himself when the team is off the ball. Always so close that he can take advantage of less than perfect touches and bad passes. This might be influenced by Benitez ability to make Newcastle operate as a unit.

If we can get him for around £20m, then it will be a good transfer. At worst he will be a 4th/5th option in a midfield 3. And with Herrera gone, Matic not able to deliver when playing regularly, Fred being dross, and MC T being a zero-sum player, buying Longstaff for a low price is good business (as long as we get a sure starter in addition).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m a fan of Longstaff as a player for sure, but I’d take Rice over him any day of the week. They are a different profile of player, and ultimately I feel we need what Rice offers a team a lot more. I’m also very impressed with Rice’s character, which our team also needs desperately.

BlueHaze

I’m a fan of Longstaff as a player for sure, but I’d take Rice over him any day of the week. They are a different profile of player, and ultimately I feel we need what Rice offers a team a lot more. I’m also very impressed with Rice’s character, which our team also needs desperately.
Same here. Was first sceptical about Rice but after watching some games live I think he'd be a solid addition to our midfield. One of those I would be really happy to end up getting but we don't seem to be interested at all.

Icemav

No real weakness. Decent with both feet. Not slow or weak and operates over a large area. His ability on the ball is functional and despite not being as smooth as more technically capable players he makes it work, in most situations.

From what little i have seen of him, his best asset seems to be that he is extremely good at positioning himself when the team is off the ball. Always so close that he can take advantage of less than perfect touches and bad passes. This might be influenced by Benitez ability to make Newcastle operate as a unit.

If we can get him for around £20m, then it will be a good transfer. At worst he will be a 4th/5th option in a midfield 3. And with Herrera gone, Matic not able to deliver when playing regularly, Fred being dross, and MC T being a zero-sum player, buying Longstaff for a low price is good business (as long as we get a sure starter in addition).
There really is a lot of Michael Carrick in him. How he positions himself and disposses without getting the knees dirty. No idea as to his true potentially but his highlights video was very interesting to watch.

Fosu-Mens

Rice depends on price. Long contract and West Ham will not let him go for cheap. Similar to Sancho, he might be more attainable next summer.

If we keep Pogba and go for Rice, then we would need a technical B2B player besides them, or get better ball players in the rest of the team (something we need to do anyway).

We should regardless approach West Ham and Rice this summer and show our "affection" for him, as he might/should be among our targets next summer.

Icemav

He definitely looks like he plays with grit. The question for me is why not try to sign both if they really are the business? We need a significant rebuild and Fred and Matic need challenging. And as you say they bring different strenghts and are both young and hungry with obvious quality.

Fosu-Mens

There really is a lot of Michael Carrick in him. How he positions himself and disposses without getting the knees dirty. No idea as to his true potentially but his highlights video was very interesting to watch.
My impression as well. Players that do not need to dive into tackles or make all or nothing challenges reads the game extremely well. Notable examples: Rio, Busquets, Carrick, VVD etc.

Scholes read the game very well, but I don't think him diving into tackles was a sign of him not understanding the game.

Icemav

My impression as well. Players that do not need to dive into tackles or make all or nothing challenges reads the game extremely well. Notable examples: Rio, Busquets, Carrick, VVD etc.

Scholes read the game very well, but I don't think him diving into tackles was a sign of him not understanding the game.
... it was a sign of him being a nasty bugger! ironically the day we start getting more red cards is the day I know we have turned it around. Too many soft cocks in the team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rice depends on price. Long contract and West Ham will not let him go for cheap. Similar to Sancho, he might be more attainable next summer.

If we keep Pogba and go for Rice, then we would need a technical B2B player besides them, or get better ball players in the rest of the team (something we need to do anyway).

We should regardless approach West Ham and Rice this summer and show our "affection" for him, as he might/should be among our targets next summer.
I suspect we’ve had a word and heard a figure we don’t like. Then again, it’s very early in the window and that story could be yet to unfold.

For me, Rice, Rabiot and Pogba would be a perfect midfield, considering budget and everything. Even if we had to spend £60m to get Rice, I would still see it as £60m to complete the midfield, with Rabiot not costing a transfer fee. About the same as Naby Keïta.

Also, I think there’s a lot of life left in Fred (and Keïta), and am not as hasty as the rest of the forum to write him off as rubbish. I expected he’d take a little while, and he’s had his share of very good games here. Overall, individuals struggle to impress in a poor unit, and I expect him to improve next season.

Fosu-Mens

... it was a sign of him being a nasty bugger! ironically the day we start getting more red cards is the day I know we have turned it around. Too many soft cocks in the team.
The day there is transparency regarding what is going on behind the scenes at the club is the day I know we have turned it around.
Still, to many soft and complacent players. Should aim to sell/release/retire 16 or 17 of the players in the first team before the 20/21 season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He definitely looks like he plays with grit. The question for me is why not try to sign both if they really are the business? We need a significant rebuild and Fred and Matic need challenging. And as you say they bring different strenghts and are both young and hungry with obvious quality.
We don’t need both I don’t think. They are different types, but I imagine would still come to play the same role in the trip. Longstaff has greater capacity to play further forward than Rice, but if we’re specifically targeting that role, I think we could probably get better. But I do like Longstaff.

Fosu-Mens

I suspect we’ve had a word and heard a figure we don’t like. Then again, it’s very early in the window and that story could be yet to unfold.

For me, Rice, Rabiot and Pogba would be a perfect midfield, considering budget and everything. Even if we had to spend £60m to get Rice, I would still see it as £60m to complete the midfield, with Rabiot not costing a transfer fee. About the same as Naby Keïta.

Also, I think there’s a lot of life left in Fred (and Keïta), and am not as hasty as the rest of the forum to write him off as rubbish. I expected he’d take a little while, and he’s had his share of very good games here. Overall, individuals struggle to impress in a poor unit, and I expect him to improve next season.
IF we can convince Rabiot to play as a CDM and assuming that he plays to his abilities, then we would not need Rice. Personally, I would be very happy with that midfield, but do not think Rice/Sancho are attainable this summer.

Rabiot and Barella this summer. Then Rice next. If we are planning to have a yard sale this summer (as we should do) then Longstaff would be useful to have as well.

I hope Fred is able to adapt and contribute at a serious level next season, but it is not something I would plan on him doing.

In Rainbows

There's a fine line between what you're describing and not having legs as you alluded to. Some players need to absolutely be great at reading the game because they're not that fast and can't cover much ground. Matic is the perfect example of failing at this part. I never felt like Carrick was some great defensive player btw. He wasn't on the level of Busquets in terms of reading the game on a defensive level. His passing game was really good where his defensive part of the game wasn't an issue.

I haven't watched Longstaff enough to truly know whether he's great at reading the game from a defensive standpoint. Can't assume destroyers like Rice, Kante, and Ndidi don't read the game well based on their high energy either. The thing is, since they're obviously not as good at passing like someone like Longstaff, they need to be better in that area of the game to balance it out.

Icemav

Everyone has a concern about Rabiot, but on paper that does sound like a tasty midfiled.

Icemav

We don’t need both I don’t think. They are different types, but I imagine would still come to play the same role in the trip. Longstaff has greater capacity to play further forward than Rice, but if we’re specifically targeting that role, I think we could probably get better. But I do like Longstaff.
I have to say though, and I am going muppetastic here, first impressions stylistically of watching Longstaff and Rice is Carrick and Keane respectively.

DownRiver

Benitez said: 'I've heard the Michael Carrick comparison and I can see that. 'Carrick, later on, became a holding-midfielder, but at this stage Sean has more mobility and plenty of stamina, he can cover a lot of ground. 'But certainly (like Carrick) he has the technique and can use both feet well. He is also a quiet type and is not someone who loses his head.'

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Pogba, Tielemans or Rabiot, Longstaff or Rice, Fred, McT, Matic - not bad !

Loublaze

ATLien
These stats mean nothing when you consider that Rice is playing more conservatively. Playing 10 more passes and completing 6% more when you are closer to a third CB than Longstaff is, is really not that impressive.
Fernandino is at 87.9%
Neves is at 81.5
Fabinho 84.5
Ndidi 80
Casemiro 88.1
Matic 87.1
Torreira 87.3
McTominay 84.3
Rice 86.4

I'd say he's in good company and only has room to grow. Longstaff is poor compared to other midfielders who play the same role

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fernandino is at 87.9%
Neves is at 81.5
Fabinho 84.5
Ndidi 80
Casemiro 88.1
Matic 87.1
Torreira 87.3
McTominay 84.3
Rice 86.4

I'd say he's in good company and only has room to grow. Longstaff is poor compared to other midfielders who play the same role
The players listed play in better teams. Don't you think that has a bearing on the outcome?

If Longstaff is only 6% behind Rice and is playing in a inferior team, and is a player who makes the riskier passes, surely that should reflect well on Longstaff?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Fernandino is at 87.9%
Neves is at 81.5
Fabinho 84.5
Ndidi 80
Casemiro 88.1
Matic 87.1
Torreira 87.3
McTominay 84.3
Rice 86.4

Two things about his passing percentage is low because he played for a Newcastle side that did not value possession. But, why is everyone so sure he is a great passer since most are basing it based on his few appearances for a counter attacking side?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fernandino is at 87.9%
Neves is at 81.5
Fabinho 84.5
Ndidi 80
Casemiro 88.1
Matic 87.1
Torreira 87.3
McTominay 84.3
Rice 86.4

Tom Cleverley had 90% passing accuracy when he was at United.

Passing completion percentage means nothing.

I’m surprised that there is some United fans still talking about passing percentage after watching Cleverley passing skills.

Last edited:

haram

Fernandino is at 87.9%
Neves is at 81.5
Fabinho 84.5
Ndidi 80
Casemiro 88.1
Matic 87.1
Torreira 87.3
McTominay 84.3
Rice 86.4

Similar to Scott then? Rice just has hype.

Loublaze

ATLien
The players listed play in better teams. Don't you think that has a bearing on the outcome?

If Longstaff is only 6% behind Rice and is playing in a inferior team, and is a player who makes the riskier passes, surely that should reflect well on Longstaff?
It doesn't reflect very well because he's billed as a passing midfielder who's compared to Carrick. Others are comparing him to a goalscoring attacking midfielder like Lampard so who is he really? His passing stats are still poor and i've included some stats of players in even more inferior teams than Newcastle at the bottom of this post

Two things about his passing percentage is low because he played for a Newcastle side that did not value possession. But, why is everyone so sure he is a great passer since most are basing it based on his few appearances for a counter attacking side?
You have a good point, but im merely attacking their judgement of his ability based on the small sample we have

Tom Cleverley had 90% passing accuracy when he was at United.

Passing completion percentage means nothing.

I’m surprised that there is some United fans still talking about passing percentage after watching Cleverley passing skills.
What does this have to do with Cleverly? We're comparing Rice and Longstaff in 2019. As others have insinuated, playing in a superior team that values possession can make a mediocre player look better right? In 2019 Cleverly has 78.7 pass completion, lower than the two players being discussed. No need bringing up 2012 Cleverly stats whist playing for a 'superior' team.

Similar to Scott then? Rice just has hype.
Better than McTominay. Is this your honest rebuttal? Im not only comparing him to McTominay you know? I guess this debate is over

A few stats of midfielders from teams below Newcastle United this season:

Longstaff teammate Christian Atsu who is more attacking and even plays on the wings has a pass completion of 82.2 to Longstaffs 80.9

Jack Cork of Burnley 81.2

James Maddison 83.8

Jonathan Hogg of relegated and inferior Huddersfield has 83.2%

Tom Cairney of relegated Fulham has 90.2%

There are more examples of similar players with better passing stats in clubs below Newcastle United, one just has to look.

Last edited:

haram

It doesn't reflect very well because he's billed as a passing midfielder who's compared to Carrick. Others are comparing him to a goalscoring attacking midfielder like Lampard so who is he really? His passing stats are still poor and i've included some stats of players in even more inferior teams than Newcastle at the bottom of this post

You have a good point, but im merely attacking their judgement of his ability based on the small sample we have

What does this have to do with Cleverly? We're comparing Rice and Longstaff in 2019. As others have insinuated, playing in a superior team that values possession can make a mediocre player look better right? In 2019 Cleverly has 78.7 pass completion, lower than the two players being discussed. No need bringing up 2012 Cleverly stats whist playing for a 'superior' team.

Better than McTominay. Is this your honest rebuttal? Im not only comparing him to McTominay you know? I guess this debate is over

A few stats of midfielders from teams below Newcastle United this season:

Longstaff teammate Christian Atsu who is more attacking and even plays on the wings has a pass completion of 82.2 to Longstaffs 80.9

Jack Cork of Burnley 81.2

James Maddison 83.8

Jonathan Hogg of relegated and inferior Huddersfield has 83.2%

Tom Cairney of relegated Fulham has 90.2%

There are more examples of similar players with better passing stats in clubs below Newcastle United, one just has to look.
You are arguing over a few percent?... It’s all very similar.

Loublaze

ATLien
You are arguing over a few percent?... It’s all very similar.
Its not, you seem to be changing goalposts. Longstaff is considered a passing midfielder, one who is being constantly compared to Michael Carrick by pundits and ex players alike, not Lampard or an attacking midfielder you seem to be comparing to/labeling him as. His passing stats are weak in this respect and i've already shown that others in lesser teams have done better. He might improve on it, he's only made a few appearances in the PL afterall but all this fawning over his average output is mind boggling, its nothing special.

haram

Its not, you seem to be changing goalposts. Longstaff is considered a passing midfielder, one who is being constantly compared to Michael Carrick by pundits and ex players alike, not Lampard or an attacking midfielder you seem to be comparing to/labeling him as. His passing stats are weak in this respect and i've already shown that others in lesser teams have done better. He might improve on it, he's only made a few appearances in the PL afterall but all this fawning over his average output is mind boggling, its nothing special.
Im not changing the goal posts? You cant say Rice is in good company and the exclude Longstaff over a few percent...

Longstaff pass completion is 80%. Neves’ is 81%. I really don't get your point.

Loublaze

ATLien
Im not changing the goal posts?
Yes sir. 80.9 and 86.4 isn't close (I know you're talking about the 'inferior' midfielders I mentioned). You're not acknowledging the fact Longstaff is considered a holding midfielder, not an attacking one who plays in an advanced position as you claim. His passing should be much more impressive than a more attacking teammate in Atsu and midfielders from inferior clubs i've listed.

haram

Yes sir. 80.9 and 86.4 isn't close. You're not acknowledging the fact Longstaff is considered a holding midfielder, not an attacking one who plays in an advanced position as you claim. His passing should be much more impressive than a more attacking teammate in Atsu and midfielders from inferior clubs
You really are just running off with stats with little context. Rice if more conservative than Longstaff. I never claimed Longstaff played in an advanced position either.

Rice having 5% better pass completion means little, especially as he plays more conservatively. That was always my point.

sherrinford

It was one statistic was it not? Completely devoid of context. Basically useless information.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Those passing stats mean diddly squat if you’re talking about a player who passes sideways or 5 yards backwards

Loublaze

ATLien
It was one statistic was it not? Completely devoid of context. Basically useless information.
I realize this, but why am I the only one charged to go into the finer details when others are simply attacking my posts and defending Longstaff's basic stats without further context themselves? We can go into the details of the types of passes they make. Longstaff attempts more forward passes per 90 but he's not very good at them. For someone being labeled the next Carrick his basic pass completion is far from impressive in any context and its even less impressive than other comparable midfielders in worse teams, the ones i've put mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:

sherrinford

I realize this, but why am I the only one charged to go into the finer details when others are simply attacking my posts and defending Longstaff's basic stats without further context themselves? We can go into the details of the types of passes they make. Longstaff attempts more forward passes per 90 but he's not very good at them. For someone being labeled the next Carrick his basic pass completion is far from impressive in any context.
You concluded that his passing is weak based on one single statistic. A plethora of relative stats will obviously provide a fuller picture, but I personally think that you need to watch the player in question. Quantity, distance, direction, accuracy - the numbers can’t tell you what a ‘good’ pass is, you have to actually see it.

From the videos posted here it seems obvious that he is being likened to Carrick (here, by folk who only have the highlights to go on) because of the similar build and movements, and the couple of clips of him pinging the ball long distances with either foot.

Except, he is being compared to Carrick by many people who have actually watched him play, which creates a certain expectation with regards to the quality of his passing. If the impression given by the bare numbers doesn’t match the consensus of opinion, that casts more doubt on the interpretation of the stats than the judgement of the observers.

Aloysius's Back 3

Just found some news about how Benitez wants James Mccarthy from Everton.

Seems like a potential replacement for Longstaff in my opinion.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
@Loublaze

Yoy can have high passing percentage if you only play backward & sideways like Cleverley at United. Cleverley was given a task at United to keep it simple same with Rice.

It has nothing to do with playing for lesser club or bigger club.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Kag

Good player. But anybody that thinks he’s going to come in and improve on Matic is genuinely off their rocker. I’ve seen lots of Longstaff (I’d wager more than just about anybody on this forum, infact) and he isn’t that good.

settembrini

Craig Hope is considered very reliable by Newcastle fans and I've said this story was nonsense since day 1. It makes no sense for anyone to buy him this summer considering his injury.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Good player. But anybody that thinks he’s going to come in and improve on Matic is genuinely off their rocker. I’ve seen lots of Longstaff (I’d wager more than just about anybody on this forum, infact) and he isn’t that good.
*in your opinion.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Neither is Matic

Status
Not open for further replies.