Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Alright lads, found my way here to see what you made of the Longstaff link and thought I'd offer some insight. He's wonderful, and, unusually for a lad his age, consistent too. Doesn't put a foot wrong. He's not just a prospect, he's already looking a really good player. In his games for us he's been motm in just about all of them. Those who aren't excited by him should be. The sad news for you is that you've got zero chance of getting him for the figures being banded around. I think if Rafa stays he builds his side around him and wouldn't even contemplate cashing in. Of course that might change after a season or two and the wider footballing world realises how good he is, and an eye watering bid arrives.

Oh and if it is OGS that is keen, that's a positive sign for Man Utd because he knows a player when he sees one. And whilst I don't think you'll get him, signing players on their way to the top is what I think mufc need to return to

Interesting!

But not good at all if we decide that Longstaff is a summer target, but realize by the end of june that we will be unable to bring him in. We should have done our homework a lot earlier, and avvoid wasting time on something that will not happen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah no doubt a player with maybe a dozen PL games and a torn ACL will be a shrewd signing.
If we had signed Roy Keane after a dozen PL games would he have been a less-than-shrewd signing? Is there a minimum game limit where a player's talent suddenly counts?

The reality is that the club have almost certainly been aware of Longstaff since he was a youth player. If our scouting team have been able to identify and track his development to the point where he feel he's a good signing after just a handful of PL games then that's a good thing. In fact it's exactly what you want your scouting team to be able to do.

If you would prefer them to stick to targeting expensive, high-profile, already proven talent then you really want to limit them to players you yourself can spot. Which isn't good.

Complaining that players are "low ambition" in this case really just amounts to whining that a new toy isn't shiny enough for your taste. It has nothing to do with the player himself or how well the signing could pan out in the long term.

Hawks2008

If we had signed Roy Keane after a dozen PL games would he have been a less-than-shrewd signing? Is there a minimum game limit where a player's talent suddenly counts?

The reality is that the club have almost certainly been aware of Longstaff since he was a youth player. If our scouting team have been able to identify and track his development to the point where he feel he's a good signing after just a handful of PL games then that's a good thing. In fact it's exactly what you want your scouting team to be able to do.

If you would prefer them to stick to targeting expensive, high-profile, already proven talent then you really want to limit them to players you yourself can spot. Which isn't good.

Complaining that players are "low ambition" in this case really just amounts to whining that a new toy isn't shiny enough for your taste. It has nothing to do with the player himself or how well the signing could pan out in the long term.
It's not about wanting "shiny new toys" but if we're going for these under the radar gambles as our primary targets it is a massive risk. We desperately lack quality, is Longstaff really going to improve on Matic/Scott/Fred? Is he even a bigger prospect than our own Garner? I don't mind signing someone like Longstaff or Dan James so long as they are going to supplement the 5-6 new starters we need. I suspect though that the club will be bringing in only 3 or 4 players including the likes of these, it isn't enough and worrying that they appear to be our priorities.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's not about wanting "shiny new toys" but if we're going for these under the radar gambles as our primary targets it is a massive risk. We desperately lack quality, is Longstaff really going to improve on Matic/Scott/Fred? Is he even a bigger prospect than our own Garner? I don't mind signing someone like Longstaff or Dan James so long as they are going to supplement the 5-6 new starters we need. I suspect though that the club will be bringing in only 3 or 4 players including the likes of these, it isn't enough and worrying that they appear to be our priorities.
It should go without saying that we're not going to do "enough" in this transfer window. That's why our manager has publicly said we're looking at a multi-year rebuild. Four players in one summer won't be enough but twelve players in three summers might be and that's closer to the timeframe we're realistically looking at.

For this year in isolation though? We're looking to finish in the top four and that means making up the equivalent of a five point deficit on the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. It's not that big a leap, especially for a team with as many areas of potential improvement as we have. Four or five of the right players could do it, even if that includes the likes of Longstaff. It isn't "enough" but it's enough for now.

Seaside Aggro

He had a good loan at Blackpool, and looked head and shoulders above league one. It’s a similar schooling to Dele Alli. He’d be a better signing having roughed it up there than a similar aged player from abroad.

JMack1234

Played 9 games for the Premier league and isn't a household name in his own household.

I get that we don't want to sign ageing washed up galacticos but you're asking a lot of Dan James and Longstaff if you wanting them to bet the catalyst to get us into the top four and further.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Going for the likes of this is mid-table levels of ambition.
Way to go Ole, Ed and the board... We're on our way to securing 6th in the league next season. I can't wait to see James, Longstaff, Archer, Tom, Dick & Harry start for us next season along with Young and the Pussy Cats (aka Smalling & Jones).
600 odd minutes in the PL plus a fecked up knee. What a deal.
Great stuff chaps. Let's stick to buying big names because that truly guarantees success. And I hope you don't complain about us failing to sign good players before they become pricey.

amolbhatia50k

Played 9 games for the Premier league and isn't a household name in his own household.

I get that we don't want to sign ageing washed up galacticos but you're asking a lot of Dan James and Longstaff if you wanting them to bet the catalyst to get us into the top four and further.
It depends on A) How good the two players. Have you seen them week in week out? And B) Who we sign alongwith them and how well our manager manages us. I bet they won't be our only signings this summer. And no matter who we sign, Ole and co will have to coach the team well.

And finally every signing cannot and should not be a 50-100 million pound one. People want a massive clearout and then scratch their heads when we sign some cheap players. Fact is we'll 'only' be signing 3-5 players this summer and we'll have to get 2-3 of them for 70 odd million (cumulatively) for the others to be big signings.

United Pro

He looks a very decent prospect. Saw him in a few games against Chelsea and Wolves and looks like a Carrick type midfielder. The problem with any youngster is whether he will develop to the level we want him, but if we can't get the top tier players, I have no problems if we were to sign youngsters who perform well now and will only get better.

RedNed77

Would the lad even want to come? I'm sure I saw a Premier League Short or a MOTD interview with him and he seemed a pretty dyed in the wool Geordie.

gajender

Great stuff chaps. Let's stick to buying big names because that truly guarantees success. And I hope you don't complain about us failing to sign good players before they become pricey.
And you know worst part about negativity is ,he does look a good player who if developed properly could become very good deep playmaker one our team is crying out for but no ignore all that just crib and complain .

Hawks2008

It should go without saying that we're not going to do "enough" in this transfer window. That's why our manager has publicly said we're looking at a multi-year rebuild. Four players in one summer won't be enough but twelve players in three summers might be and that's closer to the timeframe we're realistically looking at.

For this year in isolation though? We're looking to finish in the top four and that means making up the equivalent of a five point deficit on the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. It's not that big a leap, especially for a team with as many areas of potential improvement as we have. Four or five of the right players could do it, even if that includes the likes of Longstaff. It isn't "enough" but it's enough for now.
Which is very worrying, we need a major overhaul of the squad with lots of ins an outs. A slow rebuild where we tinker with the squad by adding 3-4 unproven players on top of the shite we have is not going to help us become competitive. As I said, is he better than our current options? or even our own academy prospect in the same role? We shouldn't be prioritising the signing of a player who in all honesty is a bench player for a team that wants to compete for top honours. It is absolutely not enough for now, and is indicative of the ambition and the competence of the people in charge.

Alright mate, let's pack the squad with players from the mid-table. I hope you don't complain when our performances start to match.

luke511

Would the lad even want to come? I'm sure I saw a Premier League Short or a MOTD interview with him and he seemed a pretty dyed in the wool Geordie.
There's tweets from 2011 of him supporting man utd, so he's a fan or at least used to be.

luke511

Which is very worrying, we need a major overhaul of the squad with lots of ins an outs. A slow rebuild where we tinker with the squad by adding 3-4 unproven players on top of the shite we have is not going to help us become competitive. As I said, is he better than our current options? or even our own academy prospect in the same role? We shouldn't be prioritising the signing of a player who in all honesty is a bench player for a team that wants to compete for top honours. It is absolutely not enough for now, and is indicative of the ambition and the competence of the people in charge.

Alright mate, let's pack the squad with players from the mid-table. I hope you don't complain when our performances start to match.
Sadio Mane was bought from a mid table side, Robertson was bought from relegated Hull. We're hardly packing our side with these type of players either. He's got DLP capabilities and looks defensively solid as well, he's exactly what we need.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rooney was/is Everton through and through. Supporting a club as a boy has little input usually to furthering your career.

Newcastle are a bottom half club these days, if he’s got the chance of joining a top 6 he will go if he has any ambition

amolbhatia50k

And you know worst part about negativity is ,he does look a good player who if developed properly could become very good deep playmaker one our team is crying out for but no ignore all that just crib and complain .
Maybe if he was Seanius ElongatedShillelagh from the Nice academy.

luke511

Pretty much the opposite of De Ligt in the Muppet stakes this one.
I'm sweating for this transfer as much as De Ligt to be fair. Matic did a good job of replacing the Carrick role for the first 6 months, but now it's 18 months later from that point and there's a massive hole in the midfield again. He'd be a huge signing.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I'm sweating for this transfer as much as De Ligt to be fair. Matic did a good job of replacing the Carrick role for the first 6 months, but now it's 18 months later from that point and there's a massive hole in the centre of the park. He'd be a huge signing.
I haven’t seen much of him to be fair, is he that good? Would he come straight into the side?

AgentP

Sadio Mane was bought from a mid table side, Robertson was bought from relegated Hull. We're hardly packing our side with these type of players either. He's got DLP capabilities and looks defensively solid as well, he's exactly what we need.
The last 6-7 years has made most of our fans pessimists. Any move the club makes is seen as another mistake. I'm actually liking our move away from big money signings and going for younger players with great potential. It's these kind of signings that actually pay off for us. Evra, Vidic, De Gea, etc were all just good prospects before they joined us.

luke511

I haven’t seen much of him to be fair, is he that good? Would he come straight into the side?
Potentially he is that good, and he'd get straight into our midfield. Pundits singled him out more or less every game he played up until he got injured.

AgentP

I'm sweating for this transfer as much as De Ligt to be fair. Matic did a good job of replacing the Carrick role for the first 6 months, but now it's 18 months later from that point and there's a massive hole in the midfield again. He'd be a huge signing.
Yes even this won't be a straightforward deal. We'll have to hope that Newcastle will be happy with a 20-25m offer for him.

AgentP

Potentially he is that good, and he'd get straight into our midfield. Pundits singled him out more or less every game he played up until he got injured.
Yeah, he was their best performer for close to 2 months before the injury. I was keeping an eye on him because of my draft league.

Hawks2008

Like Mane, Robertson and VVD? Yeah let's do that.
Mane and VVD both had 2 or 3 full PL seasons before joining Liverpool, and Robertson had a full season at hull compared to the 9 games Longstaff as played in the league this season. Furthermore, they all joined what was an improving team under a top coach. We're asking the likes of Longstaff to come to a poor team under an unproven coach and improve our fortunes. It's a tall order.

amolbhatia50k

Can't profess to knowing all that much about him. But he appears to be highly rated and I don't see the sense in being very critical of somebody purely based on how established they are. Good to hear that he performed excellently against City.

The Irish Connection

Like most of us, I haven’t seen much of this lad but from the YouTube clips I’ve seen he looks a bit like a mixture of carrick and fletcher. If we could get him and Rice I think our midfield would look much stronger.
If we’re looking for an attacking midfielder/number 10 , I think we would be much better off investing the extra 30-40m if possible in Felix instead of Fernandes.

amolbhatia50k

Mane and VVD both had 2 or 3 full PL seasons before joining Liverpool, and Robertson had a full season at hull compared to the 9 games Longstaff as played in the league this season. Furthermore, they all joined what was an improving team under a top coach. We're asking the likes of Longstaff to come to a poor team under an unproven coach and improve our fortunes. It's a tall order.
  • You haven't watched the player and aren't really qualified (like most of us) to know whether it's a tall order for him to improve us.
  • Every signing will not be a big signing. People need to learn to grasp this.
  • We will need a top coach regardless. If we don't have a top coach, you can sign a top player and it won't matter.
  • Would you not have liked to sign Mane and VVD early? Would there be something wrong with that, or we need to wait for 3 seasons for every players fee to rise before getting them?

passing-wind

This signing exemplifies what we have complained about for years and that's buying players who are effective to whatever system, ethos the club wants moving forward. It clearly highlights that after many years the club are clearly identifying targets on the premise of extensive scouting. This is essentially the crossroads we have needed, the parallel between Bale at Southampton, Hazard at Lille, Isco at Malaga, Aguero at A Madrid. By no means am I comparing the calibre of players, it's the contrast between when they have shown promise compared to when their stocks has risen.

We exist in a period right now in football financially where the market is disgusting, teams are more greedy than ever, agents are nothing but financial mediums, players will now do anything for money (Neymar one of the worlds elite players moving to the French league).

Fans put so much emphasis on us spending, the truth is we aren't like Arsenal with owners who refuse to spend, it's what we've brought which is the biggest problem. The best thing that Solskjaer has had under any manager since Sir Alex retired is that we are identifying the right players. We are addressing weakened positions (RW Sancho, center half, striker, two midfielders and a fullback). If we get those players or not that's a completely different story, the directive it's what's important.

Just because his name isn't Longstafflo-diaz people find it an underwhelming signing. What's more underwhelming is having to look at the likes of Matic, Fred, Periera, Herrera (good riddance) run around like headless chickens, not able to string two passes together, playing sideways football, no vision, creativity, execution and biggest of all not contributing towards the function of a balanced midfield. Pogba being marked out of games the midfield reduces to EFL league 1 standards.

We need players who will break this cycle that has transpired under three different managers in ten years, you remove Pogba and name promising midfield signing we have made ? I'd understand if we had a midfield consisting of Kroos, Pjanic, Kante etc but we have dross at our disposal. This is a desperate, desperate situation and Longstaff is a good target on the basis of what he offers the midfield not his surname or him being English.

0le

This signing exemplifies what we have complained about for years and that's buying players who are effective to whatever system, ethos the club wants moving forward. It clearly highlights that after many years the club are clearly identifying targets on the premise of extensive scouting. This is essentially the crossroads we have needed, the parallel between Bale at Southampton, Hazard at Lille, Isco at Malaga, Aguero at A Madrid. By no means am I comparing the calibre of players, it's the contrast between when they have shown promise compared to when their stocks has risen.

We exist in a period right now in football financially where the market is disgusting, teams are more greedy than ever, agents are nothing but financial mediums, players will now do anything for money (Neymar one of the worlds elite players moving to the French league).

Fans put so much emphasis on us spending, the truth is we aren't like Arsenal with owners who refuse to spend, it's what we've brought which is the biggest problem. The best thing that Solskjaer has had under any manager since Sir Alex retired is that we are identifying the right players. We are addressing weakened positions (RW Sancho, center half, striker, two midfielders and a fullback). If we get those players or not that's a completely different story, the directive it's what's important.

Just because his name isn't Longstafflo-diaz people find it an underwhelming signing. What's more underwhelming is having to look at the likes of Matic, Fred, Periera, Herrera (good riddance) run around like headless chickens, not able to string two passes together, playing sideways football, no vision, creativity, execution and biggest of all not contributing towards the function of a balanced midfield. Pogba being marked out of games the midfield reduces to EFL league 1 standards.

We need players who will break this cycle that has transpired under three different managers in ten years, you remove Pogba and name promising midfield signing we have made ? I'd understand if we had a midfield consisting of Kroos, Pjanic, Kante etc but we have dross at our disposal this is a desperate situation and Longstaff is a good target on the premise of what he offers the midfield not his surname or him being English.
Excellent post.

The Irish Connection

We need players who will break this cycle that has transpired under three different managers in ten years, you remove Pogba and name promising midfield signing we have made ? I'd understand if we had a midfield consisting of Kroos, Pjanic, Kante etc but we have dross at our disposal. This is a desperate, desperate situation and Longstaff is a good target on the basis of what he offers the midfield not his surname or him being English.
Well said. The way football is played now, work rate is so important. Even players who are limited technically like Henderson, Milner, Mctominay become important and look good in their teams because they are aggressive and work hard for the team, not to say Longstaff is technically limited because he looks like he has good qualities but he would be hungry to work hard for the team as well.
It’s a good sign that we’re trying to sign lads on the way up having scouted them well. Schmeichel, Solskjaer, vidic, evra are good examples from the past. All the best players have to start somewhere. Kante was signed from Leicester for peanuts and he’s one of the best midfielders out there.

Hawks2008

• You haven't watched the player and aren't really qualified (like most of us) to know whether it's a tall order for him to improve us.
  • Every signing will not be a big signing. People need to learn to grasp this.
  • We will need a top coach regardless. If we don't have a top coach, you can sign a top player and it won't matter.
  • Would you not have liked to sign Mane and VVD early? Would there be something wrong with that, or we need to wait for 3 seasons for every players fee to rise before getting them?
- I actually did watch him when Newcastle beat City in Jan/Feb. Thought he looked alright to be fair but I don't think he is the calibre of player we need in midfield just yet. With the small sample size we have of 9 games, it's a gamble to bring him in and hope he takes the step up that's required.

- I actually have said not every signing needs to be some big mega signing, but I do believe we need 5 or 6 new starters. If this signing is to supplement these starters then no worries. We are badly lacking quality in midfield so I am worried that we are potentially signing such an unproven player.

- Agree on the coaching point, but that still doesn't mean we shouldn't sign players of the level we need.

- I mean it isn't the same scenario, they went from lesser leagues to join the PL. They made the step up and developed into fine players, but they did so for Southampton where they would be afforded more time and patience then had they gone straight to a team trying to compete for the top honours. Who is to say they would have become the same players? I think the time they spent in the league before joining Liverpool was important for them. As for Longstaff, he could be a hidden gem no doubt but at the same he may also not be ready for a big move so early in his career. I am no expert on the player and only saw him once, but if we are looking for a young DM who can make an impact on the first 11, there are a few even within the PL that are have shown more than him this season.

In all I just really think the team needs a big overhaul and we need to get our recruitment spot on, especially in midfield. I'm worried that such an unproven player could have a big role in the team next year.

passing-wind

Well said. The way football is played now, work rate is so important. Even players who are limited technically like Henderson, Milner, Mctominay become important and look good in their teams because they are aggressive and work hard for the team, not to say Longstaff is technically limited because he looks like he has good qualities but he would be hungry to work hard for the team as well.
It’s a good sign that we’re trying to sign lads on the way up having scouted them well. Schmeichel, Solskjaer, vidic, evra are good examples from the past. All the best players have to start somewhere. Kante was signed from Leicester for peanuts and he’s one of the best midfielders out there.
Agreed completely, Mctomminay for all his shortfalls since his debut has been one of our best players at the club in his position. This despite having spent a combined 170 odd million centrally and his price was simply promotion from the youth ranks.

Red_toad

Opinions mate
So I can say Scholes was like Keane then :lol:.

I can certainly see him playing in the Matic role and being an upgrade. McTommy I see him taking the right side of midfield, so we can free up Pogba from a lot of defensive duties. The way Longstaff took to the league was very encouraging, just hopeful we can get him for a decent fee and he won't have too much pressure put on him.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The last 6-7 years has made most of our fans pessimists. Any move the club makes is seen as another mistake. I'm actually liking our move away from big money signings and going for younger players with great potential. It's these kind of signings that actually pay off for us. Evra, Vidic, De Gea, etc were all just good prospects before they joined us.
They did not cost a lot of money but, Evra and Vidic were established players when they were signed. Evra played in a CL final for Monaco and Vidic was part of a Serbia backline that broke a record for fewest goals conceded in a World Cup qualifying campaign. De Gea won the Europa League as a 19 year old.

Not to make your argument for you the only successful recent signing we can compare Longstaff to is Chris Smalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.