Semi-Finals: Italy vs Spain | England vs Denmark

ShinjiNinja26

Not a fan. Thought Saka really showed his age against Germany and England did far better he came off, but that Saka did well in the group game. And then with Sancho they out in their most cohesive attacking performance against Ukraine.

Saka is a good talent but I really don't think he was all that good to get the semi final?
Good news. Gives Sancho extra rest while also weakening England’s starting 11. :)

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not a fan. Thought Saka really showed his age against Germany and England did far better he came off, but that Saka did well in the group game. And then with Sancho they out in their most cohesive attacking performance against Ukraine.

Saka is a good talent but I really don't think he was all that good to get the semi final?
Weak this.

Not a fan of a lot of southgates decisions. Not sure if England are doing well because of him or in spite of him. We’ll see though. Hopefully we go through comfortably.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
How many times did they actually do this successfully last night? On only 2 or 3 occasions, they barely troubled the Spanish defence.

What game did you watch? Italy barely gave the Spanish defence any trouble all night apart from when they scored and on maybe one other occasion. Had the game ended 3 or 4 - 1 in favor of Spain, no one would have been surprised because they completely outplayed and created a lot more than the Italians.

I think most people came to that conclusion because they haven't been following the Italian team and were surprised by the type of football they played this tournament.
Statistically (chances created, goals scored, possession), Spain was superior before the game kicked off last night and it showed clearly during the game.
I also think the Italian team before last night had faced teams that couldn't fight the possession battle against them, when they did, they were reduced to 30% possession and barely creating anything on the counter.
What a bizarre opinion that is.

Italy had several chances through the 90. One of the best came moments before they equalised too.

PoTMS

We are a better team than Denmark. We should worry about focusing on our strengths which is our forward lineup.

BFernandes

Football fans are arrogant. There isn’t a pub in the country that on a Saturday afternoon isn’t full of fan bravado and confidence, even when misplaced. That’s part of being a fan. When Millwall met us in cup final do you think pubs in South London were full of people necking pints and talking in realistic, diplomatic and neutral terms about their chances or do they think the consensus was “We’ll batter the northern nonces, mark my words” (maybe literally in Millwall’s case)

I don’t get why we have to sanitise our emotions and passions because some people get upset if football chat won’t meet some kind of imaginary standard of impartiality.

Too many watch football now more like dispassionate observers rather than fans. Your team is in major semi final, you should be bouncing not thinking “oh gosh it’d be nice if we win but if that offends you I’m happy to equally support the other side too”
I agree

I hope England lose, though.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Football fans are arrogant. There isn’t a pub in the country that on a Saturday afternoon isn’t full of fan bravado and confidence, even when misplaced. That’s part of being a fan. When Millwall met us in cup final do you think pubs in South London were full of people necking pints and talking in realistic, diplomatic and neutral terms about their chances or do they think the consensus was “We’ll batter the northern nonces, mark my words” (maybe literally in Millwall’s case)

I don’t get why we have to sanitise our emotions and passions because some people get upset if football chat won’t meet some kind of imaginary standard of impartiality.

Too many watch football now more like dispassionate observers rather than fans. Your team is in major semi final, you should be bouncing not thinking “oh gosh it’d be nice if we win but if that offends you I’m happy to equally support the other side too”
Exactly. The Italian press were calling the quarter final with Belgium the “real final” yet you’re seeing English people saying they are rooting for Italy because “England are arrogant” literally writing off Denmark themselves just assuming England will go through, making them not only frauds but also hypocrites.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Weak this.

Not a fan of a lot of southgates decisions. Not sure if England are doing well because of him or in spite of him. We’ll see though. Hopefully we go through comfortably.
You can't argue with the results but tbh I think this group would've gone far as long as their manager kept them happy. Southgate keeps a good harmony with the squad, is way too conservative but a happy but talented group with the pretty much perfect conditions from start to finish to go all the way these euros mean they'll likely do well.

bosnian_red

What a bizarre opinion that is.

Italy had several chances through the 90. One of the best came moments before they equalised too.
I mean, I wouldn't say several. They had a few chances sure but Spain easily outplayed them, dominated them, forced them to change their style and really hang on a few times, but just missed some huge chances while Italy didn't really have any big misses. Berardi's shot from a tight angle was their biggest miss and it wasn't a huge miss, just not all that clear of a chance, and their goal was a beauty from a half chance at best. Spain had Oyarzabal fail to get a shot off on what was 2 clear cut chances (early on and then the header late on), Olmo had a close shot saved well, Morata scored the sitter... They didn't batter them, but Spain were definitely the better team on the day until the penalty shootout, they just lacked the finishing touch IMO.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

You can't argue with the results but tbh I think this group would've gone far as long as their manager kept them happy. Southgate keeps a good harmony with the squad, is way too conservative but a happy but talented group with the pretty much perfect conditions from start to finish to go all the way these euros mean they'll likely do well.
That’s what I mean. I could see this group going far just based on their qualities & good squad harmony. Pretty much any manager not named Jose Mourinho can provide that.

Im not a fan of Ole tactically, but I feel England would be in the exact same position with him in charge, with probably more goals & better football.

dbs235

Weak this.

I've whinged at pretty much every line up he's picked so far and was genuinely angry at the Croatia and Germany ones. It's worked so far so I'm going to just have a bit of faith. I still want Grealish in though :wenger:

BFernandes

If England made it to the final, would you rather be locked up in a room until the final on Sunday with Jenas, Matterface, Murphy or Linekar?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Spain equalised in the 80th minute. You probably feel it was around the hour mark because the extra-time made it seem like it happened in the middle of the game.
Ah feck, certainly seemed a lot earlier than that yeah!

diarm

Where has this nonsense that Italy parked the bus come from? Spain dominated possession yes, but you couldn't say they dominated the match in terms of actual chances created. Italy looked dangerous every time they had the ball, apart from maybe a tired spell in the last 15 minutes of the 90 and the first 15 of extra time.

It was a brilliant game of football between two very contrasting styles. Italy more than played their part and while I wouldn't be on here saying Spain didn't deserve to win had they had a striker worth a shite up top to finish their chances, the fact is that they didn't and Italy looked the more dangerous with their opportunities all night.

JB7

Weak this.

Agree with this, so far all of the decisions appear to have worked but I genuinely can't tell if that's because they are good decisions or just we have better players than the opposition.

He is very good at keeping the group happy at least which may well be his biggest strength I suppose.

Tony247

I have started suspecting that Southgate selects starting 11 to absorb initial pressure, probably high press. But once the other team settles and England gets the control then he wants to bring Grealish and Sancho who are not that good in defensive duties but can run through the tired legs.

djembatheking

I have started suspecting that Southgate selects starting 11 to absorb initial pressure, probably high press. But once the other team settles and England gets the control then he wants to bring Grealish and Sancho who are not that good in defensive duties but can run through the tired legs.
Seems to make sense. When the opposition starts to get a bit leggy freshen things up off the bench. We need to be in the game with 30 mins to go.

Swiss_Red89

What has Mount done exactly to warrant a starting place in this semi final?
Should be Grealish as the CAM imo.

PoTMS

The last two games between you two tell a very different story…
You mean the completely pointless Nations League tournament consisting of a bore draw and a 1-0 defeat where Denmark were given a non-existent penalty and we played with a off his head Harry Maguire who got sent off after 30 minutes. Yeah, somehow I'm not gonna draw too much from those games.

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The last two games between you two tell a very different story…
Not if you watched them. Played like friendlies and everything that could go wrong in the home game for England did.

Denmark are a well drilled, organised side. But there's no doubt England SHOULD beat them.

But we should have beat Villareal...

bosnian_red

Not if you watched them. Played like friendlies and everything that could go wrong in the home game for England did.

Denmark are a well drilled, organised side. But there's no doubt England SHOULD beat them.

But we should have beat Villareal...
More than anything, Denmark look knackered and are flying back from Baku, won't have a whole lot of their own fans there while England have barely needed to travel all tournament and are at home, and had the kindest possible quarter final (though the Ro16 was reversed).
It'll be a game too far for Denmark IMO.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
If England go out tonight you'll see a serious 180 from the British media.

They'll go from singing Gareth's and the team's praises and talking about how likeable everyone is to sticking the knife in and twisting it as much as possible.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
What has Mount done exactly to warrant a starting place in this semi final?
Should be Grealish as the CAM imo.
I think Southg8 wants to start both Mount and Saka primarily because their pressing is better than Grealish or Sancho or Rashford. We have great options on the bench to change it if needed.

I'd play Grealish from the start personally but can see the logic in it. Also I would say both Mount and Saka have generally performed well for England so far (it not being all about the last game... though good assist from Mount for Henderson's goal for one thing).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Getting more and more worried about the Danes.
The risk is that they score first. And if they do, let's hope it is early in the game for England to fight back.
And the odds are that we will concede at some point.
But I still believe that England will be good enough to win what could be a tight and nervous semi.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Where has this nonsense that Italy parked the bus come from? Spain dominated possession yes, but you couldn't say they dominated the match in terms of actual chances created. Italy looked dangerous every time they had the ball, apart from maybe a tired spell in the last 15 minutes of the 90 and the first 15 of extra time.

It was a brilliant game of football between two very contrasting styles. Italy more than played their part and while I wouldn't be on here saying Spain didn't deserve to win had they had a striker worth a shite up top to finish their chances, the fact is that they didn't and Italy looked the more dangerous with their opportunities all night.

Well, Italy had 50% less chances, less shots, less possession. The game was played predominantly in the Italian half (31% v 20%). I think thats where the "nonsense" comes from...... OK Spain didnt score but that doesnt translate as not dominated.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We are a better team than Denmark. We should worry about focusing on our strengths which is our forward lineup.
Our strength is our defence. By not conceding, you stay in the match. And that is what we have done.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think Southg8 wants to start both Mount and Saka primarily because their pressing is better than Grealish or Sancho or Rashford. We have great options on the bench to change it if needed.

I'd play Grealish from the start personally but can see the logic in it. Also I would say both Mount and Saka have generally performed well for England so far (it not being all about the last game... though good assist from Mount for Henderson's goal for one thing).
Yes. That is a sound assessment.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular

They actually did and it wasn't even close.
With that been said, Italy didn't park the bus, atleast not intentional when they did but like i said earlier Spain could have won the game 3 or 4 - 1 if they had better finishers and no one would have said it was unfair to the Italians.

PoTMS

Denmark have been pretty good so far but I get the sense they are being slightly overrated on here. They beat Russia, Wales and Czech Republic and lost to Belgium and (understandably) Finland. They are like England in the World Cup. A spirited squad with a very kind draw but ultimately lost to any half decent team. Anything but a win tonight will be disappointing.