Semi-Finals: Italy vs Spain | England vs Denmark

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Agree. If they continue down this path with Luis Enrique and can dig out a quality striker they're going to be a force. But finding the latter in modern football is not easy.
They have one actually, but he suffered a serious injury and also i kind of hope he never realizes his potential given who he plays for :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The Scots will never prosper until they get over their obsession with the English.

nobody thinks tonight is a given. People are just excited because we have a real chance of making a final.
Well according to the English in the Scotland thread it’s just banter. ;)

I know of a bunch of people who think tonight is a given and obviously I also know that doesn’t act as a given for the opposite to happen but it’s just those random football ‘feelings’ that we know hold no weight but can still hope for.

for what it’s worth I think England will win tonight! Hope for a good game either way.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
“I hope he doesn’t like travelling, Failing that we will stop him entering the country. Real buy these big players like Figo, Zidane and Ronaldo but I think the best player in the world is Raúl.”
- Sir Alex Ferguson
Jones, arguably the way he is looking, could be our best ever player,” Ferguson said after winning his and United's last Premier League title. “I think Jones may be one of the best players we have ever had, no matter where we play him.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
The Scots will never prosper until they get over their obsession with the English.

nobody thinks tonight is a given. People are just excited because we have a real chance of making a final.
Bold part is not true at all, Ferdinand and Murphy all last night were saying England will be playin Italy or Spain in the final when the game against Denmark has still to take place.

stw2022

Bold part is not true at all, Ferdinand and Murphy all last night were saying England will be playin Italy or Spain in the final when the game against Denmark has still to take place.
These people exist everywhere. The pants-wetting bollocks from people pretending that arrogance, on a fecking Manchester United from of all places, is unique to to England fans is hilarious

Tony247

Jones, arguably the way he is looking, could be our best ever player,” Ferguson said after winning his and United's last Premier League title. “I think Jones may be one of the best players we have ever had, no matter where we play him.
:lol: So you are saying throughout his career, SAF's correct assessment of players = his failed assessment of players. Which means his opinion on any players performance automatically nullifies each other!

But joke aside, lets see, you have not given apple to apple comparison. SAF was talking about future potential of Jones, which one can understand has higher probability to go either way. Whereas his praise about Raul was when Raul was already an established player. He wasn't talking about how Raul would be, but how he was at that point in time, i.e. his prime.

Potential assessment of a prospect is not same as praising an established world class player.

Anyway, it is difficult to argue between fanboys. I have seen playing both week in week out and I know prime Raul was level up than prime Villa. You have your own opinion. Agree to disagree and move on.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
:lol: So you are saying throughout his career, SAF's correct assessment of players = his failed assessment of players. Which means his opinion on any players performance automatically nullifies each other!

But joke aside, lets see, you have not given apple to apple comparison. SAF was talking about future potential of Jones, which one can understand has higher probability to go either way. Whereas his praise about Raul was when Raul was already an established player. He wasn't talking about how Raul would be, but how he was at that point in time, i.e. his prime.

Potential assessment of a prospect is not same as praising an established world class player.

Anyway, it is difficult to argue between fanboys. I have seen playing both week in week out and I know prime Raul was level up than prime Villa. You have your own opinion. Agree to disagree and move on.
Fanboys :lol:

You were the one claiming a quote from SAF automatically meant Raul was better than Villa, absurd. Yes let's move on because you're whole argument is ludicrous.

Josep Dowling

English pundits are a nightmare and I think the perception of England fans being arrogant comes more from the pundits than the fans. Of course there are arrogant fans as well, but I’m sure that’s the same in most countries. Difference is it’s deemed patriotic when’s it’s the Italians, Spanish etc.

Mike Smalling

Apparently all Denmark-England games at Wembley have finished 1-0 with five England victories and two Danish. I certainly wouldn't mind if it was that close again tonight.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
English pundits are a nightmare and I think the perception of England fans being arrogant comes more from the pundits than the fans. Of course there are arrogant fans as well, but I’m sure that’s the same in most countries. Difference is it’s deemed patriotic when’s it’s the Italians, Spanish etc.
More oblivious than arrogant, all exacerbated by years of populism. We have our own kind of melliflous punditry as well, but common people do not take them seriously at all, everybody can see they are just idiots running a circus.

Tony247

Fanboys :lol:

You were the one claiming a quote from SAF automatically meant Raul was better than Villa, absurd. Yes let's move on because you're whole argument is ludicrous.
Of course! The terror that Raul was at that time that SAF had to single him out among Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, that he wished Raul wouldn't travel to Manchester for CL return leg is a testament of his quality.

Yes, Villa came later and he was enormous at Vallencia. He was very good at Barca, not great but still impactful. The main difference for me between the two players was the quality link up of Raul. Even with likes of Ronaldo, zidane, figo around, he used to outshone them many times, if not scoring then dropping back and contributing from the midfield. He was kind of face of RM at that time. Villa for me never reached to that level, that world's best managers got super worried of his presence on the field.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well that is stupid. It’s absolutely not a given. I haven’t heard anyone say it is. People seem quite nervous for it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well that is stupid. It’s absolutely not a given. I haven’t heard anyone say it is. People seem quite nervous for it.
Rio can go over the top, probably needs Scholes to bring a bit of misery. I am excited, but also scared at the same time because we have been here before and it is the endless disappointment.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln

Sure thing... :lol: England has given a player like Sancho barely minutes during this Euro and they went comfortably to the semi's. Engand has a 1.7 compared to Denmark's 5.5 bet ratio.
Everything else than England advancing would be a big surprise and huge upset.

Doracle

Denmark slight favourites tonight in my view. They comfortably won last time at Wembley and have absolutely dominated every team they’ve played so far in this tournament. Bar failing to take their chances in the first two games, they’ve been imperious. England obviously have a punchers chance with their forward power but Denmark will be hard to stop.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I started watching right when Spain equalized and can't remember a single time that Italy looked dangerous on the counter, maybe apart from a blocked Berardi shot in the second OT but that wasn't even a counter. Maybe they were for the first hour but certainly weren't after that.
Why comment then :lol:

Insigne, Chiesa and Berardi were a handful. Emerson got behind Azpi a few times too.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Italy did not do anything extraordinary.
They just parked the bus and waited for their goal to come.
With their defence they may win the trophy.
But this is not football for me .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Of course! The terror that Raul was at that time that SAF had to single him out among Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, that he wished Raul wouldn't travel to Manchester for CL return leg is a testament of his quality.

Yes, Villa came later and he was enormous at Vallencia. He was very good at Barca, not great but still impactful. The main difference for me between the two players was the quality link up of Raul. Even with likes of Ronaldo, zidane, figo around, he used to outshone them many times, if not scoring then dropping back and contributing from the midfield. He was kind of face of RM at that time. Villa for me never reached to that level, that world's best managers got super worried of his presence on the field.
Yeah I think the heights that peak Raul hit are sometimes forgotten because he had a long career in the limelight after his best years which perhaps diluted memories of how good he was in his early 20s. Same applies for the likes of Rooney. He certainly had a more impressive club career than Villa. As you say, a lot of his brilliance was about being able to play in a range of attacking roles due to his smooth link-up play and intelligence. That said, Villa was a ruthless tournament match-winner for Spain though and has the better international career for me. Can see how there are arguments for both.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Three panthera leo on a shirt
The trophy named Jules Rimet continues to be luminous
Three decades of toil
Never cease believing

Song writer : @horsechoker
Must be the grand grandson of Mozart or summat

Tony247

That said, Villa was a ruthless tournament match-winner for Spain though and has the better international career for me. Can see how there are arguments for both.
Absolutely. No doubt about that. Villa was a star of 2010 compaign. He definitely had better international career than Raul.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I hope you Anglo-Saxons are prepared for the Great Heathen Army coming to kick your behinds once more.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Well according to the English in the Scotland thread it’s just banter. ;)

I know of a bunch of people who think tonight is a given and obviously I also know that doesn’t act as a given for the opposite to happen but it’s just those random football ‘feelings’ that we know hold no weight but can still hope for.

for what it’s worth I think England will win tonight! Hope for a good game either way.
Haha, in my experience (bare in mind im 28) the England/Scotland rivalry reminds me of the old United/Bolton rivalry in the 2000s, complete hatred from one side, met by complete indifference by the other ;) I actually root for you guys to get to major tournaments to be honest. Same with Wales & the 2 Ireland’s. it’s more fun when their involved.

England fans can get a bit over the top, but from what I’ve seen round here people have learned their lesson from 3 years ago (my mates literally booked a table for the final before the Croatia game) and are more grounded now. It’s natural for excitement to rise as we get far into the tournament, but I think some of the “arrogant” claims are a bit harsh considering Italy are acting like they’ve already won the thing.

we’ll see anyway. I do expect us to win tonight but a Denmark upset wouldn’t shock me. It is England after all, disappointment is part of the package :lol:

Siorac

I hope you Anglo-Saxons are prepared for the Great Heathen Army coming to kick your behinds once more.
These modern Englishmen are basically Normans now but they don't like talking about that because that would make them almost French.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Sure thing... :lol: England has given a player like Sancho barely minutes during this Euro and they went comfortably to the semi's. Engand has a 1.7 compared to Denmark's 5.5 bet ratio.
Everything else than England advancing would be a big surprise and huge upset.
We’re favourites in the same way United are favourites for 90% of our games. Doesn’t really mean anything. On paper we should win, but on paper United should beat Fulham & Villarreal. It doesn’t work like that.

BFernandes

Neither is 1-0 against Czech Republic and Croatia and 0-0 against Scotland, England were painful to watch in the group stages. Germany was a good win, Ukraine were tragic, but England are certainly no entertainers generally speaking.

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
Almost everyone agreed that they are the team of the tournament and here you are, telling us otherwise.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Why comment then :lol:
Because you said "dangerous on the counter all night", which his only half true at best if they weren't at all after the Spain equalizer around the hour mark :D

They aren't undeservering to go through or anything, but it was an even game so "truly deserved to go through" as I've read a few times is a bit exaggerated as well. Would've been no complaints had it been Spain either.

Siorac

Because you said "dangerous on the counter all night", which his only half true at best if they weren't at all after the Spain equalizer around the hour mark :D

They aren't undeservering to go through or anything, but it was an even game so "truly deserved to go through" as I've read a few times is a bit exaggerated as well. Would've been no complaints had it been Spain either.
Spain equalised in the 80th minute. You probably feel it was around the hour mark because the extra-time made it seem like it happened in the middle of the game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not a fan. Thought Saka really showed his age against Germany and England did far better he came off, but that Saka did well in the group game. And then with Sancho they out in their most cohesive attacking performance against Ukraine.

Saka is a good talent but I really don't think he was all that good to get the semi final?

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Nope absolutely cannot stand Mourinho and parking the bus either. For me pure tikka takka, possession football for the sake is just as boring though. I like teams who play on the edge and are willing to take risks. Italy didn’t play great last night but at least when they got the ball they looked forward, they looked to play direct and get behind Spain and they looked to use pacy tricky players. I’ve just never enjoyed the way Spain play.
How many times did they actually do this successfully last night? On only 2 or 3 occasions, they barely troubled the Spanish defence.

Don’t think there was a great deal of hanging on for dear life. Spain created very little while Italy looked dangerous on the counter all night.

It certainly wasn’t boring though.
What game did you watch? Italy barely gave the Spanish defence any trouble all night apart from when they scored and on maybe one other occasion. Had the game ended 3 or 4 - 1 in favor of Spain, no one would have been surprised because they completely outplayed and created a lot more than the Italians.

Almost everyone agreed that they are the team of the tournament and here you are, telling us otherwise.
I think most people came to that conclusion because they haven't been following the Italian team and were surprised by the type of football they played this tournament.
Statistically (chances created, goals scored, possession), Spain was superior before the game kicked off last night and it showed clearly during the game.
I also think the Italian team before last night had faced teams that couldn't fight the possession battle against them, when they did, they were reduced to 30% possession and barely creating anything on the counter.

Classical Mechanic

Not a fan. Thought Saka really showed his age against Germany and England did far better he came off, but that Saka did well in the group game. And then with Sancho they out in their most cohesive attacking performance against Ukraine.

Saka is a good talent but I really don't think he was all that good to get the semi final?
I think he'll be playing to help out Walker as he's also a full back come winger. Denmark's biggest threat is down that right side.

dbs235

And Lineker and Shearer were wincing when Rio came out and started hyping England up, because they're clearly don't think it's a given.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Should help out Walker by playing James instead.
Yeah. Walker has been extremely conservative all tournament and hasn't bombed forward at all, yet still has had people get in behind him seemingly every game.

stw2022

Football fans are arrogant. There isn’t a pub in the country that on a Saturday afternoon isn’t full of fan bravado and confidence, even when misplaced. That’s part of being a fan. When Millwall met us in cup final do you think pubs in South London were full of people necking pints and talking in realistic, diplomatic and neutral terms about their chances or do they think the consensus was “We’ll batter the northern nonces, mark my words” (maybe literally in Millwall’s case)

I don’t get why we have to sanitise our emotions and passions because some people get upset if football chat won’t meet some kind of imaginary standard of impartiality.

Too many watch football now more like dispassionate observers rather than fans. Your team is in major semi final, you should be bouncing not thinking “oh gosh it’d be nice if we win but if that offends you I’m happy to equally support the other side too”