Semi-Finals: Italy vs Spain | England vs Denmark

El Zoido

If England go out tonight you'll see a serious 180 from the British media.

They'll go from singing Gareth's and the team's praises and talking about how likeable everyone is to sticking the knife in and twisting it as much as possible.
Not necessarily, there’ll be an assessment of where things went wrong. That’s normal.

No different to your average caf poster. United can win ten on the bounce, then lose 1-0 to a good side and within 2 hours of the final whistle there’s a 700-post thread here discussing the failures of the team, which players need to be sold, why the manager should be sacked before the sun goes down.

Nobody has a long term perspective, there’s no such thing as an off-day, and you’re only as good as your last game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I have started suspecting that Southgate selects starting 11 to absorb initial pressure, probably high press. But once the other team settles and England gets the control then he wants to bring Grealish and Sancho who are not that good in defensive duties but can run through the tired legs.
Think Saka is in for his defensive work to cover for Walkers failings. Agree that the options on the bench are great.

bosskeano

Starting Mount and Saka seems quite odd with Saka coming off injury and Mount have done fuk all the entire tournament

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
With the way Spain love to hog the ball I think Italy might be better for England but then again Italy are still far superior centrally than England. Southgate needs another masterclass.
Denmark are getting crushed tomorrow. easy money if you bet now.
The amount of bedwetting from yourself these last few weeks. Imagine if England actually do it, you'd combust.
only countering the bullshit from your fellow England chums.

I also post positive about England but I guess you miss those posts

Siorac

The last two games between you two tell a very different story…
In 07/08, City beat United home and away.

I'm still very comfortable in saying that United were by far the better team that season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Denmark have been pretty good so far but I get the sense they are being slightly overrated on here. They beat Russia, Wales and Czech Republic and lost to Belgium and (understandably) Finland. They are like England in the World Cup. A very kind draw but ultimately lost to better teams. Anything but a defeat will be disappointing.
The difference until now has been that they've played the best and most proactive football in the tournament apart from Spain and Italy. They've pressed brilliantly as a team, controlled every game, defended well and created loads. They lost to Belgium but they dominated that game and just didn't finish chances.

Czech Republic was the first game where they looked tired though, and after coming from Baku, I doubt they'll be able to keep up their energy all game. Definitely haven't been overrated, just this one will be a game too far IMO.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
They actually did and it wasn't even close.
With that been said, Italy didn't park the bus, atleast not intentional when they did but like i said earlier Spain could have won the game 3 or 4 - 1 if they had better finishers and no one would have said it was unfair to the Italians.
That’s it but, again, we all know very well that Italy is not the most talented team in the competition and that Spain was their worst matchup in terms of gameplan and attitude. We are talking fine margins at a quite high level, the bar is the highest many of the Italian players have seen in their lifetime. Still, the game ended 1-1 after ET.

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline
It’s a bit rude of Denmark to even turn up for this. Just forfeit the match, everyone knows it’s ours to win. We’re everybody’s favourite team anyway.

Devil81

Saka played well in them two outings but he never really possessed a threat on goal. Sancho is the more likely to create a moment of magic, I just don't understand how Saka is getting in ahead of him myself.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t think it can be said to have ‘come home’ until England win the World Cup. Especially given the South American dominance/success over history, football can only come home when England conquer the world.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
“It’s coming home” was in reference to the European Championships being held in England in 1996. Given they’ve made it to the semi-finals and all games from here are in England I’d say it’s already come home.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Saka played well in them two outings but he never really possessed a threat on goal. Sancho is the more likely to create a moment of magic, I just don't understand how Saka is getting in ahead of him myself.
Saka's defensive work is better than Sanchos'. Walker was the weak link in the last game for all we had a great result, Denmark's threat will come from that side.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
I have this gut feeling that Smcheichel will throw a wrench in England’s way. He’s such an all a rounder and well versed in the different phases of goalkeeping that he might just single handily play spoiler. Commands the back line, comes out for crosses, great shot blocker, and a great leg to pick out long passes.

please prove me wrong! :nervous:

Reactions: Sultan

Classical Mechanic

The last two games between you two tell a very different story…
I don't think they tell a 'very different story'

The first game was awful. Really negative from both sides with few chances. Although this was right at the start of last season when fitness was all over the place for some players. England perhaps edged the chances with Kane having a shot cleared off the line at the end. A draw was a fair result.

In the second game Maguire was sent off in the first half and Eriksen scored what some people thought was a soft penalty shortly after (it was a pen as far as I can remember). England were the better team even with 10 men however, missing a couple of big chances. Denmark didn't really create much else of note.

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2020/...gue-1-52-1-51-expected-goals-stats-shots-map/

Very tight games. Denmark are a better team than a lot of people realise though, they have been for a while too, it's not a massive surprise they've done so well.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I have this gut feeling that Smcheichel will throw a wrench in England’s way. He’s such an all a rounder and well versed in the different phases of goalkeeping that he might just single handily play spoiler. Commands the back line, comes out for crosses, great shot blocker, and a great leg to pick out long passes.

please prove me wrong! :nervous:
No thanks. Already been through that this season. Once was enough.

Classical Mechanic

They'll go from singing Gareth's and the team's praises and talking about how likeable everyone is to sticking the knife in and twisting it as much as possible.
I doubt that to be honest. Of course it depends on the context of the game but two major tournament semi-finals in a row, getting to this one with the least experienced squad in the competition, beating Germany 2-0 and a quarter final win of 4-0 will be seen as progress and a success by anyone reasonable. This team is still developing and not at it's peak.

Consider where we were in 2016 when we crashed out to Iceland. Southgate has a World Cup semi, Nations League semi and a Euros semi since then.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang

A semi-final is party time for England fans. Just look at how much everybody still talks about 1990 and 1996 - not to mention all the late night celebrations that happened on Saturday. The 2018 WC and 2021 Euros will be talked about for years to come, regardless of the result.

For all this talk about 'arrogant England fans', the opposite is generally true.

England fans' own expectations of success are relatively low for a supposedly big footballing nation. It's only really people with negative agendas who build up England into champions-in-waiting, just so they can later twist the knife when the team fails to live up to those imaginary standards. "lololol but when did they last win anything?" is a question that gets asked a lot, despite it never really being a fair benchmark.

England should be a quarter-final team on average. We're a level below perennial top nations like Brazil, Italy, Germany and Argentina. And somewhere around the occasional top nations like The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Uruguay, France, Belgium, etc. Any tournament where we get to the semis is good result. You only need to look at real world reactions to know that much is true.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Not necessarily, there’ll be an assessment of where things went wrong. That’s normal.

No different to your average caf poster. United can win ten on the bounce, then lose 1-0 to a good side and within 2 hours of the final whistle there’s a 700-post thread here discussing the failures of the team, which players need to be sold, why the manager should be sacked before the sun goes down.

Nobody has a long term perspective, there’s no such thing as an off-day, and you’re only as good as your last game.
You grew up in england yes? Was it under a rock?

Siezard

Which player will make a mistake tonight so that their team choke?

Bwuk

A semi-final is party time for England fans. Just look at how much everybody still talks about 1990 and 1996 - not to mention all the late night celebrations that happened on Saturday. The 2018 WC and 2021 Euros will be talked about for years to come, regardless of the result.

For all this talk about 'arrogant England fans', the opposite is generally true.

England fans' own expectations of success are relatively low for a supposedly big footballing nation. It's only really people with negative agendas who build up England into champions-in-waiting, just so they can later twist the knife when the team fails to live up to those imaginary standards. "lololol but when did they last win anything?" is a question that gets asked a lot, despite it never really being a fair benchmark.

England should be a quarter-final team on average. We're a level below perennial top nations like Brazil, Italy, Germany and Argentina. And somewhere around the occasional top nations like The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Uruguay, France, Belgium, etc. Any tournament where we get to the semis is good result. You only need to look at real world reactions to know that much is true.
I don't agree. Historically England have had as good as side, if not better than most of them on paper.

England had probably the second strongest squad in the Euros after France. If England had only gotten to the quarters I think it'd of been seen as a massive failure.

I agree on your point about 2018 WC being talked about for years, but I think this years Euros won't be remembered as such an event. The tournament hasn't been great or that memorable.

El Zoido

You grew up in england yes? Was it under a rock?
We went out in the semi final of the last WC and there was no media meltdown or huge criticism of the players. This is such an outdated view. After the WC the prevailing attitude was “disappointing, but good effort.” So no I don’t really expect a hateful media bombardment, it’s not 1998 anymore.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not underestimating Denmark. Working from home has allowed me to see more of this tournament than I would ordinarily. Denmark look a handy side. If Dolberg played for Spain, Spain would be in the final. I've been really impressed by Maehle. Also Braithwaite looks much better for Denmark than he does for Barcelona. I guess its partly that Denmark aren't playing under that much expectation. Whereas Barcelona are expected to win every match and win with style.

Denmark can go out tonight at Wembley and play without fear, whereas we know England, we are capable of letting it slip. That's what worries me. Our country has, whether we like to admit it or not, become a team that doesn't get to finals, that falls before the final hurdle and calls it 'a good effort.' I just worry about old habits creeping in again. We saw that at the last World Cup where throwing away a 1-0 half time lead against Croatia was praised as valiant. I hope tonight we all end up being proud of winning, rather than proud of giving it a good go (then getting beat!)

Tony247

Don't understand how walker is ahead of james. In what department he is better than james?

djembatheking

Football has already come home , the nation is behind the team , we are in the semis tonight. For the rest of today we still believe. It will more than likely go tits up as it has done many times in the past but we have made the semis in 2 consecutive tournaments, that has got to be a big plus considering where we were after Iceland.

Everyone seems to know the score
They've seen it all before
They just know
They're so sure
That England's gonna throw it away
Gonna blow it away
But I know they can play
'Cause I remember
Three Lions on a shirt
Jules Rimet still gleaming
Thirty years of hurt
Never stopped me dreaming

We finally beat Germany.
Beating Ukraine 4 - 0 , brilliant .
In the semis tonight.
Whatever happens tonight it has been a good tournament.

So many jokes, so many sneers
But all those oh-so-nears
Wear you down
Through the years
But I still see that tackle by Moore
And when Linekar scored
Bobby belting the ball
And Nobby Dancing…

Its Coming home.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Football has already come home , the nation is behind the team , we are in the semis tonight. For the rest of today we still believe. It will more than likely go tits up as it has done many times in the past but we have made the semis in 2 consecutive tournaments, that has got to be a big plus considering where we were after Iceland.

Everyone seems to know the score
They've seen it all before
They just know
They're so sure
That England's gonna throw it away
Gonna blow it away
But I know they can play
'Cause I remember
Three Lions on a shirt
Jules Rimet still gleaming
Thirty years of hurt
Never stopped me dreaming

We finally beat Germany.
Beating Ukraine 4 - 0 , brilliant .
In the semis tonight.
Whatever happens tonight it has been a good tournament.

So many jokes, so many sneers
But all those oh-so-nears
Wear you down
Through the years
But I still see that tackle by Moore
And when Linekar scored
Bobby belting the ball
And Nobby Dancing…

Its Coming home.
Bloody hell

stw2022

Love or hate the song it’s probably one of the most successful football pop songs in the world

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Almost everyone agreed that they are the team of the tournament and here you are, telling us otherwise.
Omg everyone agreed they are the team of the tournament! :)
...and playing such negative football .

La Vecchia Signora - the team that got relegated for match fixing.
How's Moggi ?!

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Neither is 1-0 against Czech Republic and Croatia and 0-0 against Scotland, England were painful to watch in the group stages. Germany was a good win, Ukraine were tragic, but England are certainly no entertainers generally speaking.
We're talking about Italy not England.

Fingeredmouse

Don't understand how walker is ahead of james. In what department he is better than james?
Pace. You play a pretty high line so I guess his pace, as well as his sheer physicality, is seen as a key in recovery situations.
James is very good though. I'd play him too.