Sergino Dest | Signs for AC Milan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
The thing I remember most from Dest in an Ajax kit? Ajax - Heerenveen

The game wasn't going well and Dest was neglecting his defensive duties. Then there was a situation where Tadic was being boxed in and Dest was just standing there not making himself available. Tadic gave him instructions and Dest talked back to him leading to Tadic reminding him who the captain is.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/idIP_wTZCSw

Ajax let him go really easily for a reason. He's completely full of himself and hard to coach. I don't think Ten Hag would prefer to work with him again.

hobbers

Dest and Meunier

It's like they went out of their way to find 2 right backs who are just as shit as our two.

croadyman

Dest and Meunier

It's like they went out of their way to find 2 right backs who are just as shit as our two.
Least they offer more going forward, could live with either IF (massive one) we can sign either Casemiro/De Jong and Antony

NLunited

I‘m good with Dest, he looked good under Ten Hag. Not sure why he hasn‘t succeeded at Barça.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
17m for him? Worst case he is a straight swap with AWB. Anything more and you are overpaying for him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's apparently been terrible for Barcelona and can't defend.

Ekeke

I havent seen him much, but from what I have seen he's got some speed and a long shot. Everything else seems average or below the level of our players

NoLegendary

It is really sad to see that Dest is actually an improvement to our squad.

I have seen almost every single Barcelona game, I don’t rate him high at all. He is average at the most and his best skill is his speed.

However, if i compare him to AWB and Dalot, then he is faster than both of them, he is attacking wise a bit better (although not by a lot) and his defensive skills are not worse (maybe AWB has a better tackle but thats it). And he can actually give a pass of two fecking meters.

Should we be happy with this transfer? Dont think so. Is there a better alternative available for us? Don’t think so.

Oh yeah; funny sidenote. I have played with Dest in real Live :). A guy of very few words.

ti vu

Same shite different name. Perhaps, having better commercial value to American market than AWB and Dalot?

Putting all banter aside

We're going from shite to absolutely horrendous. Sergino Dest god no, what a long and dreadful season awaits us if this level of players are our last minute reinforcements.

danamann

Don’t think it’s a bad signing. I remember Bayern pushed a lot for him, still calling him and trying to convince him to sign for them when he was already in Barcelona. If both Barca and Bayern wanted him there must be some talent. He has a good skill set, is still young and can certainly improve further. Definitely an upgrade.

aeh1991

I hope the Malo Gusto links are real. I don't rate Dest at all, while Gusto is a real talent.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Don’t think it’s a bad signing. I remember Bayern pushed a lot for him, still calling him and trying to convince him to sign for them when he was already in Barcelona. If both Barca and Bayern wanted him there must be some talent. He has a good skill set, is still young and can certainly improve further. Definitely an upgrade.
He isn't that bad indeed. But him being American(he's basically Dutch with 1 American parent, guy can barely speak a word English) is great for marketing purposes. But like others said, he can't really defend, he's just fast enough to repair mistakes. But then again in a Ten Hag system defending isn't the most important thing a fullback does.

Ghostrider318

I hope the Malo Gusto links are real. I don't rate Dest at all, while Gusto is a real talent.
Whenever were linked with a player ask yourself "Does it make sense ?". If the answer is yes, then be sure we wont sign that player.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He isn't that bad indeed. But him being American(he's basically Dutch with 1 American parent, guy can barely speak a word English) is great for marketing purposes. But like others said, he can't really defend, he's just fast enough to repair mistakes. But then again in a Ten Hag system defending isn't the most important thing a fullback does.
Well that’s just a lie.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
Would be surprised if United really are interest. I wouldn't say he's an upgrade or downgrade on what you have at RB, mostly a sidegrade. The one plus is that EtH has managed him before so if anyone can get something from Dest, it would be him.

He's been absolutely abysmal at Barca though, to the point Xavi would rather play a CB at RB over him.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Well that’s just a lie.
For a Dutch person that is barely speaking English :lol:
But it's better than i remembered it was. Also you might wanna read the article that came with the video.

He remembers fondly how he had limited English when he turned up to training camp at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, but the team helped him and encouraged him both on and off the field.
Quote from Dest himself

userman

For me a signing of Dest would make sense for us based on where we're at at the moment. At present AWB offers little to no competition to Dalot for the RB position. AWB is apparantly also on his way out so we really only have one RB that is considered somewhat good enough to start games for us in Dalot.
Even Dalot is facing an uncertain future with his contract expiring at the end of the season(+1 year option), meaning that the coming summer will probably be our only chance to sell him if he's deemed not good enough.

For all his weaknesses Dest seems to me like a player that is good with the ball, a good passer, great pace and fairly good offensively but with some weaknesses defensively. He's still only 21 (turns 22 in november) so there's still room to develop his game. Another aspect is that he comes at a low cost to offer real competition at a position where we have no cover. Low cost means that we can (hopefully) spend on other areas as well.
Furthermore ETH obviously knows the guy so, if he were as shit as some of the posters in here claims, ETH wouldn't have wanted to sign him if he didn't considered him to be good enough. I trust ETH on this one.

I would welcome this signing!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
For a Dutch person that is barely speaking English :lol:
But it's better than i remembered it was. Also you might wanna read the article that came with the video.

Quote from Dest himself
a) that was from 2 years ago. I have heard him interviewed for US National team games and he is even better than that now.

b) I lived in Alabama for 20 years and that is better English than the rednecks I lived amongst.

poleglass red

wow, interesting, I assumed he was american, but he just qualifies via one of his parents. Not seen him play. I wouldn't read too much into his lack of success at Barca, seems that move may have been too quick, he'd just had 1 good season in Holland prior to the move. He does seems to have a decent amount of game time at Barca though. The only glimmer of hope is ETH believes he can fit his style of play, he's still young enough at 21 to work with and improve. Is he an ideal choice, probably not, but with Dalot and AWB, for what he costs it might be worth a punt.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
a) that was from 2 years ago. I have heard him interviewed for US National team games and he is even better than that now.

b) I lived in Alabama for 20 years and that is better English than the rednecks I lived amongst.
That's good to hear, but in my initial post i was referring to Dest's quote about his English being limited. But apparently it got way better

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
For a team that is as ball dominant as I think EtH wants us to be then I can see the value in this especially at the right price, particularly against teams like Everton and Southampton who are both coming up. But also games at home where teams are going to sit back.

Dalot can give you slightly more from a defensive stand point at this point and so I think whilst Dest develops that part of his game then Dalot can be used for.such games.

Of course Laird, if he can get a full season of performances like the one he just had at QPR behind him will have a chance to come back and displace them both.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
I don’t think anyone's suggesting he is? AWB was a £50m signing.
That's because United massively overpaid for him. The price of a playyer shouldn't be used as a reference point for other players.

joedirt87

the only reason to buy this guy or Depay is if its for Frenkie's deferred payment.

FerociousCorgis

the only reason to buy this guy or Depay is if its for Frenkie's deferred payment.
meh if it is essentially a straight swap of sale of AWB for incoming dest is an overall upgrade. He can do more than dalot, who looks like absolute trash out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.