Sevilla’s Lucas Ocampos is touched on backside by fan - ‘I hope La Liga takes it as seriously as racism’

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Naturally people will take his comments in a bad light or make fun of them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So we have a world where fans can scream abuse at players for 90 minutes and thats fine but we draw the line at someone poking a player very gently in the bum. Seems entirely sane and reasonable.
Why are you bringing up something entirely irrelevant?

It doesn't matter how gentle it is. It's unwanted and non-consensual contact in a sensitive area of the body which is grounds for sexual assault.

Trequarista10

It does have to be sexual though. Proving that would be the hardest thing I imagine.
My completely unqualified opinion is that for it to be sexual assault it'd need to be done for some sort of sexual gratification, which presumably wasn't the intent. Like, if you kick someone in the dick it's just physical assault not sexual assault.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
And yet most sane people wouldn't consider what the fan did sexual assault. Technically its theft to steal a single pick and mix. Most people wouldn't be calling the police and reporting a theft though...

So we have a world where fans can scream abuse at players for 90 minutes and thats fine but we draw the line at someone poking a player very gently in the bum. Seems entirely sane and reasonable.

I know but you won't be getting a record or being arrested for poking someone gently.
Ever thought it’s entirely wrong that they get to scream abuse too and something should be done about it?

SER19

would have thought a total stranger sticking their finger into somebody's ass (in this case a professional athlete in the midst of their job) in a non-consensual way would be one of the very few things the online world can agree on as being a grotesque act that doesnt warrant any downplaying or contextualising, but here we are....

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Hmm..did he poke him in the cheek or in the crack? For me that would determine the level of severity.

Fan should be banned from attending matches but probably doesn't deserve his life being ruined over trying to put a player off.*

*Opinions based on a three second Twitter video and are subject to change based on new information.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He should get a stadium ban. You obviously don't cross the line of touching the players, and the club/FA should come down on him like a tonne of bricks from that side.

However, the idea that he should be on a list as a sex offender for the rest of his life for being a bit of a prat to an opposition player at a football match is nuts. Anybody who has ever been in a rugby scrum would be in prison as well. :lol:

Last edited:

Redlyn

I think it's gross and that fan should be punished (banned for some matches and/or fined). I think thats the maximum extent it needs to be.

mctrials23

Ever thought it’s entirely wrong that they get to scream abuse too and something should be done about it?
There are plenty of things that should be different in football and society at large. I just find it utterly baffling how people have such an insanely strong reaction to something like this but don't care about so many other things I would consider far worse.

We don't need to go utterly overboard when a more measured punishment is far more merited. Give the guy a short ban and tell him if he does it again he will be banned from the stadium. Case closed.

mctrials23

Why are you bringing up something entirely irrelevant?

It doesn't matter how gentle it is. It's unwanted and non-consensual contact in a sensitive area of the body which is grounds for sexual assault.
You don't see that its strange that people are screaming sexual assault for someone poking a player gently in the bum and yet there is no outcry over far worse behaviour from the exact same fans? And touching anyone is grounds for assault, most people have the common sense not to lose their minds over someone touching them gently. Your bum isn't some sacred article that suddenly makes the gentle touch traumatising. You would have a point if they were groping him or trying to stick their finger up his bum or perhaps if they went for a little ball fondle... but they didn't, they poked him very gently on the bum.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There are plenty of things that should be different in football and society at large. I just find it utterly baffling how people have such an insanely strong reaction to something like this but don't care about so many other things I would consider far worse.
The thread isn't about those other things. It's about this specific thing. People are able to be outraged or have opinions on them all you know.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Honestly, I wasn't bothered but I've just noticed being more outraged will get more of a reaction than not saying anything so I have to say this is completely out of order and just not right. It's a shame gallows have gone out of fashion.

mctrials23

The thread isn't about those other things. It's about this specific thing. People are able to be outraged or have opinions on them all you know.
Yep, and my opinion on this is that people are being ridiculous if they are outraged by this. They are welcome to their outrage.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You don't see that its strange that people are screaming sexual assault for someone poking a player gently in the bum and yet there is no outcry over far worse behaviour from the exact same fans? And touching anyone is grounds for assault, most people have the common sense not to lose their minds over someone touching them gently. Your bum isn't some sacred article that suddenly makes the gentle touch traumatising. You would have a point if they were groping him or trying to stick their finger up his bum or perhaps if they went for a little ball fondle... but they didn't, they poked him very gently on the bum.
Who is screaming?

Well your bum, along with breasts and your genitalia, are quite clearly different to other parts of your body when it comes to assault/sexual assault.

It's not clear either if he just pokes his arsecheeks or tries to poke his arsehole. Some are reporting the former and some the latter.

Make a thread if you want to about the other stuff, this one is about this incident.

mu4c_20le

Honestly, I wasn't bothered but I've just noticed being more outraged will get more of a reaction than not saying anything so I have to say this is completely out of order and just not right. It's a shame gallows have gone out of fashion.
:lol:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
would have thought a total stranger sticking their finger into somebody's ass (in this case a professional athlete in the midst of their job) in a non-consensual way would be one of the very few things the online world can agree on as being a grotesque act that doesnt warrant any downplaying or contextualising, but here we are....
Indeed. There are some wild opinions on this forum at the moment.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
My completely unqualified opinion is that for it to be sexual assault it'd need to be done for some sort of sexual gratification, which presumably wasn't the intent. Like, if you kick someone in the dick it's just physical assault not sexual assault.
Yeah I agree. It’s definitely assault though, and the idiot needs banning from all grounds around Spain, just as clubs would do with someone proven to have racially abused someone. I think that’s probably what the player meant, but worded clumsily (probably due to translation).

manutddjw

Wow this thread would take a much different tone if this fan did this to a woman's player.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yep, and my opinion on this is that people are being ridiculous if they are outraged by this. They are welcome to their outrage.
If someone came into your place of work and without warning stuck a finger up your arse, wouldn’t you at least want them banned from your place of work for the foreseeable?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Wow this thread would take a much different tone if this fan did this to a woman's player.
Of course it would, because a female player would very likely feel more threatened and violated if a male fan did that to her.

The actual equivalent would be a female fan doing the same to a female player. Which would meet the same reaction as this has.

PSV

If someone came into your place of work and without warning stuck a finger up your arse, wouldn’t you at least want them banned from your place of work for the foreseeable?
I think there is two types of people, the ones that agree with you and the ones that would hatch out a plan to get them back when they least expect it. A finger for a finger.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not sure why there's a tone of trying to shift goalposts in terms of contact on female players etc.

It doesn't really matter who is doing it to who. It's non-consensual contact in a sexual/sensitive area.

SER19

Seriously though, what?
Your initial post was deeply shit and blatantly hypocritical - criticising whataboutism while actively engaging in it. And while you may be right about the tweeter, it's also just sort of arrogant to assume from a tweet and a fairly non descript twitter page that you know this mans sexual orientation and his ideologies. You're conflating issues massively and in my experience this type of post and attitude is just the other side of the same coin that you're criticising. Broad, sweeping generalisations about a group who share immutable characteristics are never helpful in progressing a conversation, but you did so with some real confidence.

@Spaghetti might want to weigh in himself, but i imagine this is what he was getting at.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
We’re always there. That’s what is so tiring about the internet. Even the weirdest hills are full with corpses.

Oranges038

Reminds me of when Jara fingered Cavani and Cavani got booked for hisi reaction.

Ocampos should be banned for not taking it like a man.

cafecillos

Your initial post was deeply shit and blatantly hypocritical - criticising whataboutism while actively engaging in it. And while you may be right about the tweeter, it's also just sort of arrogant to assume from a tweet and a fairly non descript twitter page that you know this mans sexual orientation and his ideologies. You're conflating issues massively and in my experience this type of post and attitude is just the other side of the same coin that you're criticising. Broad, sweeping generalisations about a group who share immutable characteristics are never helpful in progressing a conversation, but you did so with some real confidence.

@Spaghetti might want to weigh in himself, but i imagine this is what he was getting at.
Nah, not conceding on this. He's saying "If it had been Jenni Hermoso...". You and I both what that shite is about, there's no need to pretend. The fact you and @Spaghetti got triggered because I pointed it out (or maybe it was the Zack Snyder mention, which would be even more pathetic) should make you think a bit. I was also, very, very clearly, only talking about that Twitter user and people like him who love the "if it had been a woman" shtick, that was very obvious in my post and pretending it was not not is weird. The only thing I´ll say you're right about though is the use of the "straight" adjective. I can't be 100% sure so I'll happily take it back.

mctrials23

Not really. I would say "what the feck, don't do that again" and get on with my life. If someone came to my place of work and just poked me gently in the bum I would probably say "whoa there" and get on with my life. If they tried to do it again I would escalate but no, it wouldn't really cause me any distress.

I'd be more bothered if I was trying to go about my day and there was a crowd of people hurling abuse at me constantly and swearing at me. Then again, my work requires concentration and quiet so it would be weird to have a crowd there.

mctrials23

Would your stance be the same if the footballer was a woman?
I would take it more seriously if it was a woman because like it or not, things are different for men and women. I still wouldn't expect the guy to be brought up on sexual assault charges.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t think any finger was stuck up an arse in that video?

For what it’s worth I think a finger jabbed in the ring piece should definitely be considered a very different kind of assault to a finger prodding someone’s buttock. Or is the idea that they represent identically traumatic experiences?

BarryWinks

Not really. I would say "what the feck, don't do that again" and get on with my life. If someone came to my place of work and just poked me gently in the bum I would probably say "whoa there" and get on with my life. If they tried to do it again I would escalate but no, it wouldn't really cause me any distress.

I'd be more bothered if I was trying to go about my day and there was a crowd of people hurling abuse at me constantly and swearing at me. Then again, my work requires concentration and quiet so it would be weird to have a crowd there.

arnie_ni

Dear lord that isn't sexual assault. I swear the world has gone mad at times. Thats like saying its regular assault as well because he touched him. Tell the fan its not OK to touch the players and get on with your lives. Dearie me.
There's obviously different levels to sexual assault but of course sticking your finger up someone's arse is sexual assault. Catch a grip

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
if i discovered this kind of thing was going on at the office then i’d probably work from home less.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
Fans/supporters should not be touch the players, unless the player initiates via a goal celebration.

Tarrou

I envisage this all playing out like a scene from a carry on film