Sexist Posts in the Football Forums

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We must be respectful of women's football on pain of exclusion from the forum?

Okay. I'll add it to my list of no-nos on the Cafe. The list is growing quite long. It could eventually expand to cover all of human experience.
That isn't what Jojojo said and you know it.

Slippery slope/thin edge of the wedge arguments always crop up when discrimination is discussed and it almost always bollocks. E.G. marriage equality isn't going to lead to us marrying penguins.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You can imagine my disappointment when I gleefully click this thread and it isn't about the sexiest posts in the football forums. Damn you Specsavers!

Btw I fully support the mods and their crusade against women bashing. That should be done behind closed doors only.

Please don't ban me.

Klopp_De_Klown

is, Lukakus 24" penis, anti women and sexist also? Or will we maybe get more ads like the Boux Avenue, i like them. Free Knickers with matching bra. Nice Model too with matching... yea you guessed it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
is, Lukakus 24" penis, anti women and sexist also?
There's a reason the thread isn't in the football forums - that chant is a whole lot of things. If we deleted that thread, the discussion would only keep on cropping up in the football forums in different threads. As controversial a topic it is, it is one that was a huge talking point and it was for the best it was somewhere we could monitor and deal with inappropriate posts (which we did).

Or will we maybe get more ads like the Boux Avenue, i like them. Free Knickers with matching bra. Nice Model too with matching... yea you guessed it.
It isn't up to us what the adverts are but they're often tailored to a number of things: what you browse, what you read on here (RAWK thread often has Liverpool advertisements in) etc. If there are any particular explicit adverts let Niall know.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We must be respectful of women's football on pain of exclusion from the forum?

Okay. I'll add it to my list of no-nos on the Cafe. The list is growing quite long. It could eventually expand to cover all of human experience.
Or all of your experience which wouldn't be a bad thing.

On a serious note, if someone on the forum wants to have a serious discussion or offer some insight on women's football, people don't really have any business taking the piss. If we're going down the anything goes path even in this scenario then we can't really claim to not have sexism on the board. You're making fun of it because they're women. It's pretty blatant. Even moreso if the person intended to have a serious discussion.

amolbhatia50k

is, Lukakus 24" penis, anti women and sexist also? Or will we maybe get more ads like the Boux Avenue, i like them. Free Knickers with matching bra. Nice Model too with matching... yea you guessed it.
Why would it be anti women in any case? Definitely a hint of racial steriotyping/racism involved. I think racism requires discrimination though. Either way, it feeds the problem.

amolbhatia50k

RedCafe tries to be a good place to talk about football. We don't like to ban, to warn, to censor opinions or kill debate. But we do have limits, and we do ask posters to help us enforce them.

Intended or not, sexist posts derail threads, cause pointless arguments, and make it harder for posters to have real discussions.

So what are we talking about?
  • Posters showing up in threads on women's football, including those that are focused on a particular match or tournament, purely to say that women's football in general is crap.
  • Posters moaning about TV stations showing women's football, when they can fix the problem with their remote control.
  • Posters who think it's hilarious to complain that a thread about women's football is about football, not "hotties" in the crowd.
  • Posts that devalue or insult women, as football fans or as people.
Sometimes the staff try to influence people in threads, to stay on topic, to stop pointless circular arguments, to avoid loaded or offensive language and generalisations. Sometimes we warn or threadban posters. Sometimes we do all of those things.

However we aren't everywhere, and monitoring is not continuous. Sometimes we don't see bad posts, sometimes things get out of hand in a thread before we notice. Please hit report if that happens, so we can act or take a second look at a problem before insults start to fly and the thread turns to crap.
Good stuff.

I hope it extends to the whole forum and not just discussions on women's football.

Klopp_De_Klown

There's a reason the thread isn't in the football forums - that chant is a whole lot of things. If we deleted that thread, the discussion would only keep on cropping up in the football forums in different threads. As controversial a topic it is, it is one that was a huge talking point and it was for the best it was somewhere we could monitor and deal with inappropriate posts (which we did).

It isn't up to us what the adverts are but they're often tailored to a number of things: what you browse, what you read on here (RAWK thread often has Liverpool advertisements in) etc. If there are any particular explicit adverts let Niall know.
Why would it be anti women in any case? Definitely a hint of racial steriotyping/racism involved. I think racism requires discrimination though. Either way, it feeds the problem.
I was takin the piss!!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Fairly recently. I forget what the subject was about, but there was a journalist who got fast-tracked to the mains to get more opinions and insight about (I think) Manchester United's women's team when it did exist. Barely made it past half the first page without the crazies responding.
I think someone offered to leave breakfast on her doorstep within 3 posts.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I think someone offered to leave breakfast on her doorstep within 3 posts.
I saw the thread earlier. I though it was worse than what it really was, thinking it had flat out mysogonist posts, but it was still kind of mean. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me chuckle, though.

Oscie

Glad for this. Had to avoid most of the thread about Man Utd ladies because of the nonsense. Couldn't bother wading through all that.

If you're referring to the one that asked why we didn't have a women's football team then why should that thread just have been people agreeing that we should have a women's football team?

Under the new rules is the only view on that subject either that we should agree that we should have one or not comment on it if we don't because to do so would be trolling?

Good stuff.

I hope it extends to the whole forum and not just discussions on women's football.
But surely that would mean that we're not allowed to express a view that rugby is shit, merely criticise rugby players for their individual performances in relation to other rugby players. This is the thing I'm struggling to get my head around. Sexism is awful and rightly banned, but it seems as if the rules go further and make criticism of something a punishable offence in a way that criticism of anything else simply wouldn't be.

Last edited:

Rusholme Ruffian

Feel like some in here, make it their point of duty to be offended by anything. Thats not to say some posters arent sexist in the name of banter, but the social justice warriors are just as annoying and derail threads just as much, arguing about idle shite.
And this is how it starts...someone attempting to say that people highlighting offensive language/views are just as bad as the perpetrators. What a steaming pile.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you're referring to the one that asked why we didn't have a women's football team then why should that thread just have been people agreeing that we should have a women's football team?

Under the new rules is the only view on that subject either that we should agree that we should have one or not comment on it if we don't because to do so would be trolling?

But surely that would mean that we're not allowed to express a view that rugby is shit, merely criticise rugby players for their individual performances in relation to other rugby players. This is the thing I'm struggling to get my head around. Sexism is awful and rightly banned, but it seems as if the rules go further and make criticism of something a punishable offence in a way that criticism of anything else simply wouldn't be.
Posters are allowed to to say Rugby is shit but I doubt a whole host of them would be allowed to spam the "Rugby discussion" thread with posts telling everyone that rugby is shit. Nor would they be inclined to do so given that most people who don't like Rugby just wouldn't bother going into that thread.

Whereas threads about women's football draw a rather different reaction, as the "including those that are focused on a particular match or tournament" part of the OP suggests.

Rusholme Ruffian

Are you willfully misunderstanding?

There is a difference between being critical about something and being offensive. I would imagine it's still fine to express the opinion that you're not a fan of women's football because the quality is poor. But if you start posting stuff like 'women can't play football, why can't they stick to cooking', or some of the ridiculous shite I read on the United Women's team thread, then that should rightly get called out.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Let's try this again: the rules haven't changed. Wumming, thread derailing, offensive posts etc have always been against the rules.

All that has happened is the staff have looked at a particular pattern of problem posting. So now we're reminding people what the rules are, giving some examples of what we consider to be off-topic or inappropriate and asking posters to stick to the rules.

It's not about stopping debate or criticism, it's a reminder that some things are really just trolling or insulting, in this instance with a side order of sexism.

Acole9

Outstanding
Great news, no place for it on here. Especially when there are plenty of female posters on the forum.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not that hard to distinguish between legitimate arguments and sexist crap.

There were posters in the thread mentioned above who argued against a United women's team because it wouldn't be profitable. Others argued that women's football should have its own top clubs, i.e. not affiliated with established clubs like United or Real Madrid. I'd disagree with both arguments but they're legitimate and belong in the discussion.

Making lame jokes and/or whining generally about women's football being shite is something else entirely and adds nothing of value or interest to the discussion. This is common sense. If you consider it undue policing when you're being stopped from spouting irrelevant nonsense in every thread on here - you are the problem, not the forum policy.

Grande

Referring to Man Utd ladies it might be this thread. Read the opening post, and see what happens four posts down. Part of the problem is that you already know what's gonna come, because it isn't a fluke, and it isn't like Italian football. It's a group phenomenon and it has ro do with gender, so I welcome this announcement.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Should probably just take this thread as a gentle reminder that sexism won't be tolerated. It would probably provoke less dissent if it didn't refer to any thread in particular.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
While I agree with the last 3 points highlighted by the OP because they truly show a certain level of sexism, I'm inclined to disagree with the first point.

Seems to me that would simply be restricting certain opinions rather than fighting against sexism. If someone happen to think that woman's football isn't something they fancy and label it however they like, I see it simply as a matter of opinion not something that should be seen as some form of sexism.

The op might argue that it's an opinion that's generalised thus can be classified (in this case) as sexist but don't we hear on these boards generalised opinions regarding various aspects yet are left free to be brought up.

We've heard people talk about English football being crap, some hold opinions about African football or Asian or American soccer etc being crap or other such generalised opinions yet there are no outcry about such opinions being racists, xenophobic etc.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
While I agree with the last 3 points highlighted by the OP because they truly show a certain level of sexism, I'm inclined to disagree with the first point.

Seems to me that would simply be restricting certain opinions rather than fighting against sexism. If someone happen to think that woman's football isn't something they fancy and label it however they like, I see it simply as a matter of opinion not something that should be seen as some form of sexism.

The op might argue that it's an opinion that's generalised thus can be classified (in this case) as sexist but don't we hear on these boards generalised opinions regarding various aspects yet are left free to be brought up.

We've heard people talk about English football being crap, some hold opinions about African football or Asian or American soccer etc being crap or other such generalised opinions yet there are no outcry about such opinions being racists, xenophobic etc.
As we’ve said already, it’s because every single time it reduces the thread to total shit and adds no value to the thread whatsoever.

Skills

Snitch
I'm generally quite critical of women's sports but not due to any fault of the women playing it. I just find it stupid that they make them play a sport with laws and rules that were specifically made for men who are much bigger and faster.

If they did a better job of adapting the rules of women's football/tennis or any other sport, they would be much better off.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'm a Liga thread regular. There was even an era when I sometimes appeared to be the only Liga thread regular. We routinely had/have people show up to go on about Scotland in the sun.

It's seldom been an actual problem, because it's seldom led to an actual discussion getting drowned out by random and irrelevant posts designed to annoy other posters. When it has been a problem posters have been warned and threadbanned for it.

For whatever reason, we've seen threads on women's football drowned by it. To the point where some posters stop posting in the threads, and others find themselves permanently on the defensive. Whether the reason is weight of numbers, or sheer persistence, I don't know. What we suspect is that if we'd warned/threadbanned posters earlier, things might have gone differently.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Or provoking/derailling of threads/shitposting etc. I am not sure how many posters are guilty of the last two point though, mind. Seems easy to directly delete such posts and warn such posters.
from the opening post:
Sometimes the staff try to influence people in threads, to stay on topic, to stop pointless circular arguments, to avoid loaded or offensive language and generalisations. Sometimes we warn or threadban posters. Sometimes we do all of those things.

However we aren't everywhere, and monitoring is not continuous. Sometimes we don't see bad posts, sometimes things get out of hand in a thread before we notice. Please hit report if that happens, so we can act or take a second look at a problem before insults start to fly and the thread turns to crap.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Or provoking/derailling of threads/shitposting etc. I am not sure how many posters are guilty of the last two point though, mind. Seems easy to directly delete such posts and warn such posters.
Yes mate it seems very easy when you’re not actually a mod and don’t have to sift through all the shite.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
How has this even resulted in a discussion in this thread? It's really really really REALLY fecking simple.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I guess the reporting of posts isnt that usual and easy as it seems.
Most surprising thing since I got made a mod is the absolute lack of reports that are made.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I dread to think what it'll be like in 20 years time when nobody can criticise anything without some 'ism' being thrown at you. It's already fast becoming that way now.

If we say women's football is dire it's sexist, but it's fine to say Scottish football is dire? Or is that xenophobic?

Bloody glad the pub isn't as lefty liberal as the internet or nobody would be able to speak through fear of being barred.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I dread to think what it'll be like in 20 years time when nobody can criticise anything without some 'ism' being thrown at you. It's already fast becoming that way now.

If we say women's football is dire it's sexist, but it's fine to say Scottish football is dire? Or is that xenophobic?

Bloody glad the pub isn't as lefty liberal as the internet or nobody would be able to speak through fear of being barred.
You can say women's football is dire in your opinion, because ... (then follow reasons explaining why you think it's dire, presuming you've actually watched women's football). No problem with that. However, you've completely missed the point of this thread, I'm afraid. Read the OP again.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
You can say women's football is dire in your opinion, because ... (then follow reasons explaining why you think it's dire, presuming you've actually watched women's football). No problem with that. However, you've completely missed the point of this thread, I'm afraid. Read the OP again.
I did mate, a lot of the bullet points in the OP aren't even sexist. Can be construed to be if you're looking for it, but so can most things. I'll just steer clear of potentially controversial topics, I've already been called a racist cos I find the influx
of double-barrelled names in football laughable.