Sexist Posts in the Football Forums

Will Absolute

If someone wants to have a proper discussion about any aspect of women's football (which is a valid and sensible topic for a football forum), just allow that discussion to take place. If you feel that women's football doesn't deserve respect, don't post in the thread.
In fairness, I've no opinions about the quality of women's football, and have never made any derogatory remarks about it.

It's the principle of the thing, Penna. :smirk:

Oscie

Sexualising women's football and women footballers and female spectators and dismissing their opinion based on their gender is disgusting and I'd be glad to see a zero tolerance on that.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Isn't that slightly contradictory to the whole culture of this place?

There are a few threads in the football section where mainly people discuss rival players and teams that aren't adherent to a proper discussion on valid and sensible terms. How many of the 'Let's all laugh at...' style threads would pass that mark?

If we acknowledge and park sexism as something right to weed out, there are people who dislike Liverpool/Italian football/Championship-level football/international football/women's football and voice non-constructive, dismissive posts about each. Are we saying that that's all fine and legitimate except for the last example?
I don't disagree, we get throwaway/silly posts in other threads (and we often edit or remove them if they're offensive or off-topic). However, there is a particular problem with threads about women's football and it's not because people don't like a particular team, player or manager.

Rory 7

That’s obviously out of the question.
Might be now but could be something that lawmakers enforce on t’internet. Publishing hate and bile (not that anyone on here has re: women) is a real issue online. Some of the crap posted on Facebook amazes me, despite people being non-anonymous. Anonymity allows for even greater abuse.

Moonred

Might be now but could be something that lawmakers enforce on t’internet. Publishing hate and bile (not that anyone on here has re: women) is a real issue online. Some of the crap posted on Facebook amazes me, despite people being non-anonymous. Anonymity allows for even greater abuse.
Oh you mean if someone is using anonymity to abuse. Yeah then ofcourse that’s an option and could/should be exercised on a case to case basis. I was under the impression you are advocating it as a general rule for everyone which opens the door for more abuse.

Rory 7

Oh you mean if someone is using anonymity to abuse. Yeah then ofcourse that’s an option and could/should be exercised on a case to case basis. I was under the impression you are advocating it as a general rule for everyone which opens the door for more abuse.
Ain’t advocating it. Just saying it’s always an option.

Oscie

Sure but anonymity also provides protection for legitimate reasons too. It's an off-topic discussion but if we want to fast-track the debate I think I'd conclude that anonymity of scumbags is the lesser of two evils if the second is giving anyone access to immediately and easily identify anyone who posts anything online.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
If we acknowledge and park sexism as something right to weed out, there are people who dislike Liverpool/Italian football/Championship-level football/international football/women's football and voice non-constructive, dismissive posts about each. Are we saying that that's all fine and legitimate except for the last example?
When we think we have an issue with a thread we do try to protect the actual football thread from the joke stuff with warnings and threadbans (and vice versa, some people have been banned from the RAWK thread for being too serious for example). We even split threads at times to try and void the worst of it - as with the Messi V Ronaldo thread. Most of the time though we're talking about individual posters disrupting those threads.

However if any thread does get sent off-topic, or becomes a row between a couple of posters, or a poster persistently posts pointless low quality nonsense in a thread, we do have rules to deal with it. Generally though, we do get enough time to actually fix the thing before it collapses in a heap.

To that extent, nothing is different here except that we've had situations in the last few months where legitimate threads got wrecked in a matter of a couple of hours, by sexist or stupid off-topic or trivialising posts, not just from a single poster, but from others who join in to cheer them on. All we're really saying is when we can see it coming we don't intend to wait for the threads to become a disaster zone - and we would ask posters involved in threads where it's happening to hit the report button.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A few months ago someone posted a thread about women's football that was specifically for discussion around the game, not for people's opinion on women's football in general.

Almost immediately the "women's football is shit" posts arrived, derailing the thread from the start.

Even ignoring the sexism side of things, having people spam threads with stupid, off-topic opinions must be irritating as hell for those who actually want to discuss the topic at hand. Especially in the case of something like women's football, where the space to talk about in seriously is relatively small.

Dir Wangem

• Posters showing up in threads on women's football, including those that are focused on a particular match or tournament, purely to say that women's football in general is crap.
I'll never understand posters who do this. Like, what are you even trying to achieve? What's the point?

FujiVice

Read the thread title and just got reminded of This is Spinal Tap. May have to watch that film.

"Well so what? What's wrong with being sexy"

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I enjoy women's football it's really not as bad as the majority make out.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Not that I'm against this at all, but let me ask a question @jojojo :
  • Posters who think it's hilarious to complain that a thread about women's football is about football, not "hotties" in the crowd.
Does this include the world cup threads about pretty women in the stands? (those not in the football forums)
I know those aren't about football, but a clarification would be nice.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Feel like some in here, make it their point of duty to be offended by anything. Thats not to say some posters arent sexist in the name of banter, but the social justice warriors are just as annoying and derail threads just as much, arguing about idle shite.

spwd

Does this include the world cup threads about pretty women in the stands? (those not in the football forums)
I guess if theres a “World cup hotties” thread, it would be in the general and not the football forum so shouldn’t need any clarification.

People moaning about the hottest 25 women of all time thread might have added to this subject but unfortunately its a male dominated forum, so threads like that will always be on here, and personally there’s nothing wrong with those threads as long as you don’t overstep the mark, also there’s nothing stopping the women on here posting such threads too, they would probably get a good amount of comments too.

I made the mistake a few months ago of posting some regrettable posts in a thread I honestly thought was a “Hotties” thread due to the thread title but I should have realised it was in the football forum and not the general, i apologised to the main thread contributors and regret posting but it was an honest mistake.

That journalists thread was pretty shocking by the way.

I understand what others are saying about where do you draw the line for other subjects though because some threads are taken off topic 3 posts in and its a pain in the ass, also the rawk thread is a good example of a thread being derailed on a very regular basis.

Sorry just rambling but hope you get what i mean.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I guess if theres a “World cup hotties” thread, it would be in the general and not the football forum so shouldn’t need any clarification.

People moaning about the hottest 25 women of all time thread might have added to this subject but unfortunately its a male dominated forum, so threads like that will always be on here, and personally there’s nothing wrong with those threads as long as you don’t overstep the mark, also there’s nothing stopping the women on here posting such threads too, they would probably get a good amount of comments too.

I made the mistake a few months ago of posting some regrettable posts in a thread I honestly thought was a “Hotties” thread due to the thread title but I should have realised it was in the football forum and not the general, i apologised to the main thread contributors and regret posting but it was an honest mistake.

That journalists thread was pretty shocking by the way.

I understand what others are saying about where do you draw the line for other subjects though because some threads are taken off topic 3 posts in and its a pain in the ass, also the rawk thread is a good example of a thread being derailed on a very regular basis.

Sorry just rambling but hope you get what i mean.
Shouldn't need. But I prefer to know for sure, not that I've posted in such threads but I know they are popular.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

They're not really part of the story.

This thread really is about the football forums and particular patterns of posting that keep appearing and keep damaging football threads. There are no actual rule changes involved either, just a warning from the staff that we think the only way we can deal with it is by acting earlier.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
The 1st two points have nothing to do woth sexism directly, even though a sexist person might find himself guilty of doing that. The other two point are I think quite rare relatively, making this thread a bit dramatic for "not much". I have visited these threads and although there are a lot of moaners, I cant remember an awful lot blatantly devaluing women or only referring to their appearance. There are actually some people who think women's football is "crap", just like how I'd never watch non-professional football. However it is strange to feel the need to make that clear while no one really asks for that.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
They're not really part of the story.

This thread really is about the football forums and particular patterns of posting that keep appearing and keep damaging football threads. There are no actual rule changes involved either, just a warning from the staff that we think the only way we can deal with it is by acting earlier.
Alright, thanks for the fast and clear response. :)

Runner

I've noticed several sexist comments to varying degrees on the forum. It's nice that the modding staff have taken a step in this direction.

roseguy64

Glad for this. Had to avoid most of the thread about Man Utd ladies because of the nonsense. Couldn't bother wading through all that.