Gaming Shenmue III

Kaos

Yeah I read somewhere that in order for Sega to break even on the franchise every Dreamcast owner in the world would have to buy 2 copies of each game.
Yep, it was a real catch 22 situation. SEGA were hoping that Shenmue would drive dreamcast sales, whereas Yu Suzuki was hoping being a Dreamcast launch title would increase Shenmue sales. Of course neither the game nor console sold particularly well so it was a bit of a disaster.

Last edited:

jeff_goldblum

Yep, it was a real catch 22 situation. SEGA were hoping that Shenmue would drive dreamcast sales, whereas the Yu Suzuki was hoping being a Dreamcast launch title would increase Shenmue sales. Of course neither the game nor console sold particularly well so it was a bit of a disaster.
Huge shame as both were way ahead of their time. I still have my Dreamcast and the graphics etc. stand up pretty well.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Because the game almost financially crippled SEGA. Sony aren't just going to make it rain on Yu Suzuki on a game that was last released 14 years ago (at a cost of $60million) and considered a commercial flop. Yeah the fanbase is passionate but that's going to mean squat to the corporates over at Sony.
They were never going to breakeven with how little Dreamcast owners there were in the world compared to the PS2 though, if they had made the game available on PS2, they might have stood a chance of at least breaking even.

Kaos

They were never going to breakeven with how little Dreamcast owners there were in the world compared to the PS2 though, if they had made the game available on PS2, they might have stood a chance of at least breaking even.
It was a launch title for a console that was released before the PS2. I'm pretty sure SEGA initially expected the Dreamcast to do a lot better than it did, largely because of games like Shenmue, hence they probably expected to eventually break even or even profit.

And why would SEGA publish a game on their competitor's console? :lol:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It was a launch title. I'm pretty sure SEGA initially expected the Dreamcast to do a lot better than it did, largely because of games like Shenmue, hence they probably expected to eventually break even or even profit.

And why would SEGA publish a game on their competitor's console? :lol:
Xbox had exclusive rights for it in the north american market though, Sega didn't really made much sense with their business decisions during the Dreamcast era.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Xbox had exclusive rights for it in the north american market though, Sega didn't really made much sense with their business decisions during the Dreamcast era.
Go to the E3 thread, I've been explaining it more and bouncing it around with Alock. Kickstarter isn't the problem, whatever you'd read elsewhere is from people who have no idea what it is they are arguing about.

But you are right and wrong there, Sega fecked the business side before the Dreamcast because they never saw Sony as a threat, however Microsoft strangled them and the machine with WindowsCE. They really fecked up Sega there and that's when they decided to make the Xbox.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Was? But yeah, I can see why that'd be difficult mate. All I can say is the old cliche, focus on the positive memories :)
Yeah unfortunately was. But yes lots of positive memories. The disc is scratched up beyond belief now but looking forward to this game.

Redlambs

Yeah unfortunately was. But yes lots of positive memories. The disc is scratched up beyond belief now but looking forward to this game.
Well all the more reason for the positive memories :) And you can get the disc repaired, Maplins sells a machine that does it exceptionally well for about a tenner, it really works too! Other than that I believe there is a stable emulator that you can relive old times on.

But all signs are this game will do Shenmue justice, so fingers firmly crossed.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Always amazes me how quickly these kickstarters pass the target. I know nothing about Shenmue 3 but I remember it being the same for Super Troopers 2.

If there was a kickstarter for Timesplitters 4 I would definitely contribute though.

Kaos

Always amazes me how quickly these kickstarters pass the target. I know nothing about Shenmue 3 but I remember it being the same for Super Troopers 2.

If there was a kickstarter for Timesplitters 4 I would definitely contribute though.
If you enjoyed The Witcher 3 then shut up and contribute to this, Shenmue basically set the framework for large open world games.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If you enjoyed The Witcher 3 then shut up and contribute to this, Shenmue basically set the framework for large open world games.
Oh you mean that game that had a glitch so bad I've not been able to play it for 2 weeks? :p

Kaos

Oh you mean that game that had a glitch so bad I've not been able to play it for 2 weeks? :p
Yes precisely that.

Now imagine having a problem where you can't play for FOURTEEN years, that's what us Shenmue fans have had to put up with essentially :(

arthurka

A cost of more than 60M$ 16 years ago was something more than a glitch... This was just out of this world and with a system that sold rather poorly was even more crazy. They sold 10M units of Dreamcast so this had to be a crazy idea, allowing a game to cost more than 60M$ in development. That said it was a fantastic game and that console is just well ahead of it´s time..

Redlambs

A cost of more than 60M$ 16 years ago was something more than a glitch... This was just out of this world and with a system that sold rather poorly was even more crazy. They sold 10M units of Dreamcast so this had to be a crazy idea, allowing a game to cost more than 60M$ in development. That said it was a fantastic game and that console is just well ahead of it´s time..
Sony themselves are no stranger to pumping ridiculous amounts of money into development of games that should have cost a lot less. GT5 is a prime example of that and how much it fecked them.

And that's exactly why Shenmue 3 wouldn't have happened without this kickstarter idea.

arthurka

Sony themselves are no stranger to pumping ridiculous amounts of money into development of games that should have cost a lot less. GT5 is a prime example of that and how much it fecked them.

And that's exactly why Shenmue 3 wouldn't have happened without this kickstarter idea.
Well that might be true but GT5 came 11 years later and with inflation and other things should have been close to 80M$ to be the same amount..
Plus the PS3 had shipped more than 40M units at that time so the margins are a bit different as Shenmue was released 1 year into Dreamcast and it had only shipped around 3 million units at the time.. But I totally get your point and I couldn´t be happier with the news,Kickstarter or not these are fantastic news.. But that said I don´t know how it will fare as many that played it were teenagers or in their early 20´s, they will (me included) be around 40 or in their mid 40´s when the new one will be released!

Redlambs

Well that might be true but GT5 came 11 years later and with inflation and other things should have been close to 80M$ to be the same amount..
Plus the PS3 had shipped more than 40M units at that time so the margins are a bit different as Shenmue was released 1 year into Dreamcast and it had only shipped around 3 million units at the time.. But I totally get your point and I couldn´t be happier with the news,Kickstarter or not these are fantastic news.. But that said I don´t know how it will fare as many that played it were teenagers or in their early 20´s, they will (me included) be around 40 or in their mid 40´s when the new one will be released!
GT5 cost well over 100 all in all. And was heavily delayed, unfinished to boot.

On Shenmue, as I said the other day, I don't think modern gamers will get the fuss at all. There might be a big clamour to pretend to because it's 'cool', but if the first Shenmue came out today I think it'd tank even worse than back then. Remember, this is the game that gave us QTE! :lol:

Leg-End

On Shenmue, as I said the other day, I don't think modern gamers will get the fuss at all. There might be a big clamour to pretend to because it's 'cool', but if the first Shenmue came out today I think it'd tank even worse than back then. Remember, this is the game that gave us QTE! :lol:

Leg-End

I think both Shenmue games actually did QTE's right, at the time it was new and a ton of them were for comic relief or a nice way of making chasing someone a relatively interesting task.

I also like that it occasionally flipped it, like in 2 when your mind has been trained to press that QTE as fast as possible but your not meant to press it, the barber dude says do not move and then pulls a blade to your neck and the prompt goes A A A A A A with the noise and your like "feck! press press press", I was young and dumb and I think it took like 10 tries before I realised I'm not meant to press anything.

arthurka

For those interested :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

But QTE changed many things some for better some for worse..
There is a whole genre of games besed on QTE now and those dance and music games are all QTE in that sense..
But I can´t help thinking that Dragons Lair had QTE or similar back in the day way earlier than Shenmue?

caid

Really looking forward to this.
Skint atm so haven't pledged but ill drop €50 on it before it ends.

Tempted to get the dreamcast out and play the first 2 again, not sure i want to ruin the nostalgia i have for the game though

Yu Suzuki is / was a brilliant developer though and im really looking forward to playing another one of his games, been too damn long.

Kaos

Really looking forward to this.
Skint atm so haven't pledged but ill drop €50 on it before it ends.

Tempted to get the dreamcast out and play the first 2 again, not sure i want to ruin the nostalgia i have for the game though

Yu Suzuki is / was a brilliant developer though and im really looking forward to playing another one of his games, been too damn long.
Don't do it, I did so a few months ago....hasn't aged well :lol:

caid

Don't do it, I did so a few months ago....hasn't aged well :lol:
Yeah figured the lack of a second analogue stick and QTE's wouldn't be a good mix.
I remember the fight section near the end of the first where you have to fight 100 guys or something being brilliant. The whole fighting engine not hold up at least?

Kaos

Yeah figured the lack of a second analogue stick and QTE's wouldn't be a good mix.
I remember the fight section near the end of the first where you have to fight 100 guys or something being brilliant. The whole fighting engine not hold up at least?
I never really got that far in it last time round, just twatted around a bit in the first village, saw the awkward controls and hilariously dated face textures and thought 'nope', not ruining this for myself.

caid

I never really got that far in it last time round, just twatted around a bit in the first village, saw the awkward controls and hilariously dated face textures and thought 'nope', not ruining this for myself.
Probably wise :)

Ill just play power stone instead, thats always good
Wish capcom would remake that

Redlambs

For those interested :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

But QTE changed many things some for better some for worse..
There is a whole genre of games besed on QTE now and those dance and music games are all QTE in that sense..
But I can´t help thinking that Dragons Lair had QTE or similar back in the day way earlier than Shenmue?
Gt5 is wrong there, that was the starting budget. The likes of prologue fudges the numbers too, it was much higher. Even Weaste had to admit it back then :lol:

And technically Shenmue was the first to use qte. Dragon's Lair and mostly all the phillips cdi games used similar for their entire games, but the theory behind qte itself (i.e to try to make story segments interactive rather than just cutscenese) was in something else around Shenmue, but that was the first to demo it and make it in the game. I think they even coined the phrase.

arthurka

Gt5 is wrong there, that was the starting budget. The likes of prologue fudges the numbers too, it was much higher. Even Weaste had to admit it back then :lol:

And technically Shenmue was the first to use qte. Dragon's Lair and mostly all the phillips cdi games used similar for their entire games, but the theory behind qte itself (i.e to try to make story segments interactive rather than just cutscenese) was in something else around Shenmue, but that was the first to demo it and make it in the game. I think they even coined the phrase.
Ok... If Weaste said it was so and it´s made by Sony then it´s so! :D
Yeah I remeber that I found it darn difficult at first, Dragons Lair was different in that sense that it had more cutscene than interaction.
But again not sure what a 40 something balding guy is going to find revolutionary with Shenmue III :p...

Redlambs

Ok... If Weaste said it was so and it´s made by Sony then it´s so! :D
Yeah I remeber that I found it darn difficult at first, Dragons Lair was different in that sense that it had more cutscene than interaction.
But again not sure what a 40 something balding guy is going to find revolutionary with Shenmue III :p...
It's more about giving the series the right ending I think. Let's face it, we are grtting it anyway :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What's the point in pledging any more than to get yourself a copy of the game when it's already hit it's target and will have by a hell of a lot more by the time it's finished?

Also, what's the hype about it? It has a huge following by the looks of it, but why? Genuine question, as I never played the others.

caid

What's the point in pledging any more than to get yourself a copy of the game when it's already hit it's target and will have by a hell of a lot more by the time it's finished?

Also, what's the hype about it? It has a huge following by the looks of it, but why? Genuine question, as I never played the others.
It was just a really impressive title for its time.
It was kind of yu suzuki's magnum opus and were talking about a guy who made space harrier, outrun, afterburner, virtua fighter, virtua cop and daytona.

Just him making a new game should be enough to get you interested imo

Redlambs

Yeah, I wouldn't pledge now. But the initial idea to to get them backed to make it.

As for the game, it's not the be all and end all of gaming, more a time and place thing. But it's 'huge' following is largely based on the myth of it these days I think, because when it was out there were those who loved it but the sales were terrible and loads just couldn't get into it.

Like I say if released today, I don't think people would really be as bothered. I love them though, especially the first, as they are masterpieces in story telling and attention to detail.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It was just a really impressive title for its time.
It was kind of yu suzuki's magnum opus and were talking about a guy who made space harrier, outrun, afterburner, virtua fighter, virtua cop and daytona.

Just him making a new game should be enough to get you interested imo
Yeah, I wouldn't pledge now. But the initial idea to to get them backed to make it.

As for the game, it's not the be all and end all of gaming, more a time and place thing. But it's 'huge' following is largely based on the myth of it these days I think, because when it was out there were those who loved it but the sales were terrible and loads just couldn't get into it.

Like I say if released today, I don't think people would really be as bothered. I love them though, especially the first, as they are masterpieces in story telling and attention to detail.
Sounds interesting! Is it an RPG fighter or more just a fighter? An RPG in that style with good combat could be really fun on modern consoles.

caid

Sounds interesting! Is it an RPG fighter or more just a fighter? An RPG in that style with good combat could be really fun on modern consoles.
Haven't you been listening?
Its a forklift simulator!!!!
:)

Its just an exploring simulator,
its set in 80's china and it feels like your there. It was released before GTA 3 so it was one of the first open world, sandbox games i guess.

It has fights dotted around it and virtua fighter would be a good comparison.
though they did a good job of dealing with multiple attackers before a lot of games got it right (batman is the first game i think were they really hit the sweet spot on that front).

When you finished the first there was a minigame where you had to kill 100 enemies and they'd be approaching in groups of 3 / 4 and it held together well so the fighting part of the game was really solid.
I might've made the minigame part of that up, it might've just been a save. Me and my friends used to play it a lot as a time attack type thing.

Had a very good story and interesting characters. It was like a pulpy eastern karate revenge film, so if you like them, then you'd like the story.

Redlambs

Haven't you been listening?
Its a forklift simulator!!!!
:)

Its just an exploring simulator,
its set in 80's china and it feels like your there. It was released before GTA 3 so it was one of the first open world, sandbox games i guess.

It has fights dotted around it and virtua fighter would be a good comparison.
though they did a good job of dealing with multiple attackers before a lot of games got it right (batman is the first game i think were they really hit the sweet spot on that front).

When you finished the first there was a minigame where you had to kill 100 enemies and they'd be approaching in groups of 3 / 4 and it held together well so the fighting part of the game was really solid.
I might've made the minigame part of that up, it might've just been a save. Me and my friends used to play it a lot as a time attack type thing.

Had a very good story and interesting characters. It was like a pulpy eastern karate revenge film, so if you like them, then you'd like the story.
Good summary. It's also very interactive, for example if you see a draw you can open it. Sounds silly, but that was a big thing back then and it really is a sign of how backwards games are nowadays when games used to be judged far more harshly for their environment. For example, Bioshock:Infinite would have got terrible reviews for how static everything is.

But yeah, the attention to detail in every aspect was always the big thing. It's not action enough for today's crowd, but that was never the point.