Shinji Kagawa - Dortmund Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoLogo

A footballer can - and should - run himself into the ground no matter what tactics are being used.
Trying to act like Kagawa ran less than most players in our team because he was lazy is just dishonest. I mean look at how we play. I never seen anyone running himself into the ground bar maybe Jones when he plays in midfield but a headless chicken approach isn't really what we need either. We need some coordinated pressing and more vertical and lateral movement going forward.

Seveneric

Don't remember Berbatov running himself to the ground, which is a bit ironic as I think the poster saying Kagawa didn't run enough at United or something, was Berbatov's biggest supporters.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I am happy he had a good debut, good for his confidence and I hope he gets back to his previous Dortmund form, football is a much better place when the better players are playing well.

Kallech33

My happy place. Where I kill more than time.
Trying to act like Kagawa ran less than most players in our team because he was lazy is just dishonest. I mean look at how we play. I never seen anyone running himself into the ground bar maybe Jones when he plays in midfield but a headless chicken approach isn't really what we need either. We need some coordinated pressing and more vertical and lateral movement going forward.
The modern football connoisseur in Germany and Spain calls this approach 'the Khedira'.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Even the worst Man Utd side in 25 years were able to beat Bayer Leverkusen - who finished 4th in the Bundesliga last season, and 3rd the season before - 9-2 over two games.

*Confession*

I don't watch the Bundesliga, so I couldn't say how good it is or isn't, but still . . .
I'm not passing judgement on who's better than the other, but I'd like to point out that despite all public claims, there are teams that make an internal decision to go for one title and not kill their players over the other. Comparisons like that are almost always likely to be skewed in some manner, especially if you want to project that comparison onto the league as a whole.

Gladiator

I don't need to watch it, I have plenty of evidence of his failures in the BPL. Come back to me when Bayern doesn't run away with the title yet again.
but it doesn seem you've really thought about why he's failed so come back when you've given it some more thought

Gladiator

To be fair, Leverkusen's embarrassing performances against United didn't really help the reputation of the Bundesliga on the Caf, I get that :lol:. But can't we all blame the former Liverpool player and shit manager for these games instead of belittling the league Leverkusen play in. In the end, that Leverkusen side still finished 2nd in a group with a good Donezk side and a Spanish team, not bad overall and no one seems to use the fact that a Spanish side finished last and lost twice against Leverkusen to belittle the Spanish league (which would be stupid of course).
Leverkusen would not have lost so badly last season if they had Roger Schmidt. He is something else

Gladiator

Not suited to EPL - it is too physical. Good luck Shinji
See. I find these explanations as overly simplistic as you look at players like Mata, Cazorla, Silva, Fabregas etc who dont really engage in physical duels and they've seemed to adjusted fine to the Premier League. What i think we should consider is what's leading to those circumstances

Gladiator

Yeah of course I am just exaggerating. Nobody would pay Guardiola the money he receives if he was not a top coach.
However I think he is not as great regarding tactics like Mourinho or LvG and does lack the ability of Klopp to build up a winning squad from scratch.
But this is just speculation from my side.

I liked the playing style of Bayern under Heynckes much more.
Well for one Guardiola hasn had that opportunity yet so we dont know if he lacks the ability to do that or not. On the other hand, even if he's not that great at it, i dont think that takes much away from how good of a manager he is. Some managers struggle when expected to deliver greatness with a squad filled with quality but i wouldn say that necessarily means they are not good managers

Gladiator

I think maybe @Cnaiür urs Skiötha didn't phrase it properly but his underlying assertion does resonate with a lot of football enthusiasts.

While Guardiola is a great innovater, drawing from the philosophies of Cruyff, Bielsa, Van Gaal, Sacchi - it's fair to say he's not the most pragmatic manager or tactician around. He's a bit of a purist that believes his version of football is superior and somehow ties in with the concept playing the beautiful game in its right spirit.

Fergie was like this during the first half of his tenure - those United teams had a gung ho attitude of always being on the attack and underachieved at the hands of 'negative continental teams'. But he adapted to that and built more defensively sound, organized and disciplined teams in latter years.

Like a younger Fergie, Pep needs to learn that it's not always possible to outperform your opponents in an attacking/ possession sense, sometimes you need to rake a more agricultural route. Until he shows that side to his game, I'm afraid it's hard to argue his case vs Mourinho whose teams have the ability win despite being out of form/ lacking in personnel. For Pep's sake I hope he learnt from last season humiliation at the hands of Madrid.
I don't think there's anything wrong with being a bit fundamentalist with one's principles and coaching methods. You could even argue fundamentalism/purism are in a way linked to pragmatism

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Just saw his goal on TV and the fans shouting his name. They love him there. Happy for the guy.

roykeane19

Was a good player, just did not fit into our system whatsoever, then again it does show how limited he is, but very good in his favorite position, and with right team style, and tactics

But just did not fit in our team at all, I do think we sold him too cheap, as we always do lately, we are tending to overpay for players, and then when we sell players we do so at a much diminished price

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
but it doesn seem you've really thought about why he's failed so come back when you've given it some more thought
And why does it seem that way? Did I provide any analysis in my post? No I didn't. Kagawa needs to play in a certain system with certain players around him, something that he never had with us and only had/has with Dortmund. He's simply not a very versatile player. He can be good in said circumstances, but other than that will be an average player.

Gladiator

Who is that lad?
He managed Red Bull Salzburg last season. Go youtube some of their highlights and you'll get an idea of how they play. He's brought that to Leverkusen. Pep is fascinated with him. He watched Red Bull Salzburg's games last season pretty often

Gladiator

And why does it seem that way? Did I provide any analysis in my post? No I didn't. Kagawa needs to play in a certain system with certain players around him, something that he never had with us and only had/has with Dortmund. He's simply not a very versatile player. He can be good in said circumstances, but other than that will be an average player.
ehh you could say that about just any player if you want. Mata looked average under Mourinho. If the manager doesn rate you, not too much you can do.

Gladiator

Was a good player, just did not fit into our system whatsoever, then again it does show how limited he is, but very good in his favorite position, and with right team style, and tactics

But just did not fit in our team at all, I do think we sold him too cheap, as we always do lately, we are tending to overpay for players, and then when we sell players we do so at a much diminished price
we've needed an upgrade in our system/football in general for a while. thank goodness LVG is here

Kag

Nice to hear he scored and played well. I think he's a brilliant player and would love to see him hit the top of his game again and get some recognition at the top level. Sad we sold him, but I think it made sense, unfortunately. He's too good to be sat on a bench most weeks.

Still, that fee...

Gladiator

Nice to hear he scored and played well. I think he's a brilliant player and would love to see him hit the top of his game again and get some recognition at the top level. Sad we sold him, but I think it made sense, unfortunately. He's too good to be sat on a bench most weeks.

Still, that fee...
I talked about with one of my friends earlier after the match. LVG probably told Kagawa he wouldn be first choice or let's say behind Mata. Knowing the fact we are not in the Champions League and no longer in the COC cup, there are less games to go around. So i think it made perfect sense for Kagawa to go.

itso 7

Was a case of timing really because it's apparent that his signing was made for the purpose of transforming our play. If LVG replaces Fergie then by this time Kagawa would be established in the side. Fergie wanted to change our style but eventually did not have the time as he was in his last season, Moyes and his hairbrained decision to sign Mata effectively ended his United career. A confident Kagawa would have been lethal in yesterday's set up and he is defensively usefule unlike Mata.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We can only judge what we see so far and Kagawas has just been not good enough and not the right player for us. Simple really, same thing happens over and over again in many clubs.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

Here's Kagawa's compilation vid against SC Freiburg in case anyone is interested. Looks as if it didn't take long for Shinji to pick up from where he left off since leaving Dortmund. :(

quackattack

Absolutely amazing player
What a time to realise that...:P

sign him up.
:D

He's on fire now:lol:
Completely bonkers!

We should sign this guy...
Anyways, obviously a class player and saying he can't do it in this league is bollocks. It's just we've played so slowly for the past few years and no movement off the ball that he couldn't really prove himself properly. The type of player who needs to be in a working system to improve the team.
Or just be given some faith. I believe that the difference in management might be something that just didn't work in MU. Here he was just one of many, while in Dortmund, under Klopp, he is special, he is someone and Klopp isn't afraid to show it. I believe that is why he is a super manager (in his team) and manage to foster man nourish many talents. But this is of course just my thoughts.

Not suited to EPL - it is too physical. Good luck Shinji
Are you Adnan or Oscar?
Play Rooney, Januzaj or Di Maria there. Shinji is a very talented player but he never fitted in at United, as has been said he didn't seem to fancy the physicality and he seemed to lose confidence in himself pretty quickly after a fairly promising start at the club. I hope and am sure he'll do well back at a club where he's comfortable but I don't think we'll notice any real loss at United because his contribution was fairly minimal.
Apparently so, but the physical part is just not right considering the fact that so many players with limited strenght seems to succeed. How about out 50kg winger? Oscar, not much of a bodybuilder there. Or Cazorla or Özil? Many more could be mentioned as well...

It's ridiculous that people still blame the PL for being too physical for Kagawa. It was always the team(or rather Moyes) that was the problem.
There is less and less emphasis on the physical part of play in football these days, sure it is very important in several aspects, but one cannot just bodytackle someone and expect to win every game. I have already mentioned several players who are great EPL players, yet still weak. So, yes, I agree with this.

Looked like he was playing wide left from those clips
Dortmund has for a time been a team where one shifts position and is given quite some freedom in offencive positions. He might be out left in the paper, but from what I saw during the game they shifted positions quite often.

See. I find these explanations as overly simplistic as you look at players like Mata, Cazorla, Silva, Fabregas etc who dont really engage in physical duels and they've seemed to adjusted fine to the Premier League. What i think we should consider is what's leading to those circumstances
This fits well into what I have mentioned earlier. Good contribution.

Jerch

We have Mata in his place who scored 8 goals in the last 10 games. Something Kagawa will never do for us. Let it go, he will be good for Dortmund no surprise but he was not good enough here under three different managers and the last one was prepared to let him go for as little aas 6m pounds. That only Dortmund was interested in him is all you have to know.

Crying about Kagawa when we have Mata, Herrera and Januzaj to play in his position is like crying about Welbeck when we have Falcao, Rooney and RVP.

walkinhop

I for one don't care how good he looks there after one match. Never, ever did he impress me. And, yes he did get opportunities. For whatever reason, he never settled in Manchester.

Gladiator

When you see players like Blind and Herrera instantly adapting to their new club/league it really highlights what a weak character Kagawa is. Better off rid.
or players that fit what the manager wants. i.e. (mata and mourinho)

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I for one don't care how good he looks there after one match. Never, ever did he impress me. And, yes he did get opportunities. For whatever reason, he never settled in Manchester.
:rolleyes: Guess that means you didn't watch us against Bayern away last season in CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.