Shinji Kagawa - Dortmund Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Lets not get carried away here. Blind has played one game and Herrera has played two.
Kagawa was good in his first few and lost his way.

Herrera just suits the English game though the way he isn't just a good baller, he's snappy and has unreal workrate. Blind is like all good dutch Footballers, does well for any club and at any tournament.

Sorry for getting carried away myself about those 2, but you have to agree?

Kagawa clearly wasn't suited for England which is fine, it's not as though he offered nothing to us. Scored a hattrick once and a few other goals.

In Rainbows

He would be benched for Sterling or Coutinho.
Sterling yes, but he would get plenty of game time as they play more and more importantly Liverpool's brand of attacking football suits him far more than the shit we witnessed these past few years.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sterling yes, but he would get plenty of game time as they play more and more importantly Liverpool's brand of attacking football suits him far more than the shit we witnessed these past few years.
Coutinho's a miles better player than Kagawa

As for Liverpool's football last season it would suit every other attacking player in a United shirt too. I just don't get this notion that Kagawa would be uniquely suited to playing for a team that is playing better football.

Along with all our other players, he had to endure a season playing crap football for a manager who was out of his depth. Shit happens. Up to him to deal with that situation and make the most of whatever opportunity he had to impress Van Gaal. He didn't. He's gone. Like I said, shit happens.

In Rainbows

Coutinho's a miles better player than Kagawa

As for Liverpool's football last season it would suit every other attacking player in a United shirt too. I just don't get this notion that Kagawa would be uniquely suited to playing for a team that is playing better football.

Along with all our other players, he had to endure a season playing crap football for a manager who was out of his depth. Shit happens. Up to him to deal with that situation and make the most of whatever opportunity he had to impress Van Gaal. He didn't. He's gone. Like I said, shit happens.
I'm saying that under Liverpool he would thrive so the "can't cut it in the PL" narrative is rubbish. He couldn't cut it at United under Moyes and didn't perform at his best under Fergie. Which isn't surprising considering how bad United's attacking fluidity has been these last few years. This isn't some pissing contest between Kagawa and other United attacking players.

And Coutinho isn't a player miles better than Kagawa. He's playing his football under Rodgers who has transformed Liverpool's attacking football. As you said "As for Liverpool's football last season it would suit every other attacking player in a United shirt too." Just look at the difference between he and Dalglish. The goal difference between the 2012 and 2013 Liverpool sides was +24 in favor of 2013 Liverpool despite both teams being crap. A year later and the attacking football progressed even further scoring +30 more than the 2013 Liverpool side. That's the difference a manager makes. I expect Leverkusen to see an increase in goals (raising the reputation of their attacking players in the process) this season as Schmidt is also very attacking oriented. I don't think Coutinho would have done well under Moyes either. He certainly wouldn't do better than Mata.

Also what makes you think he didn't impress Van Gaal? All we know is that he didn't impress Van Gaal in the deeper midfield positions as he stated. Just because he didn't get the starting position over a better player in Mata, doesn't mean Van Gaal didn't rate him. With no Europe or league cup it makes sense for Kagawa to leave. I doubt Kagawa would have left United if Mata wasn't at United. Obviously Mata is at United and he is the better player.

Last edited:

Kag

Coutinho is shite. I don't think there is a top club across Europe that would plump for him ahead of Kagawa.

Pogue Mahone

I'm saying that under Liverpool he would thrive so the "can't cut it in the PL" narrative is rubbish. He couldn't cut it at United under Moyes and didn't perform at his best under Fergie. Which isn't surprising considering how bad United's attacking fluidity has been these last few years. This isn't some pissing contest between Kagawa and other United attacking players.

And Coutinho isn't a player miles better than Kagawa. He's playing his football under Rodgers who has transformed Liverpool's attacking football. As you said "As for Liverpool's football last season it would suit every other attacking player in a United shirt too." Just look at the difference between he and Dalglish. The goal difference between the 2012 and 2013 Liverpool sides was +24 in favor of 2013 Liverpool despite both teams being crap. A year later and the attacking football progressed even further scoring +30 more than the 2013 Liverpool side. That's the difference a manager makes. I don't think Coutinho would have done well under Moyes either. He certainly wouldn't do better than Mata.

Also what makes you think he didn't impress Van Gaal? All we know is that he didn't impress Van Gaal in the deeper midfield positions as he stated. Just because he didn't get the starting position over a better player in Mata, doesn't mean Van Gaal didn't rate him. With no Europe or league cup it makes sense for Kagawa to leave. I doubt Kagawa would have left United if Mata wasn't at United. Obviously Mata is at United and he is the better player.
Of course it is. That's how football works. Other players have out-performed Kagawa, so Kagawa has to leave.

The Liverpool stuff is entirely hypothetical anyway. I mean, we can be almost 100% certain that United players who have proven themselves competent PL performers would have done much better playing for Liverpool last season than they would have for United. Although there's an element of doubt. Kagawa might also have been a better player under Rodgers, although the doubts about his mentality (rumours of a party-boy lifestyle, tendency to hide in tough, physical games etc.) mean we'd be a lot less certain about this.

What makes me think he didn't impress Van Gaal? The fact he couldn't find a place for him in our squad. Kagawa's biggest problem is his lack of versatility and Van Gaal likes versatile players. Not versatile enough to play more than one position, not good enough to displace better players in his position of choice and never really excelled throughout two full years of PL football under two (arguably three) different managers.

I agree entirely with your last paragraph, so not sure our opinions are all that far apart.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Coutinho has done very well in 3 different leagues under 3 different managers. Coutinho was part of the reason Liverpool started to play better football so he should get credit for it and not something that should be dismissed. He's quite clearly a better player than Kagawa.

Kag

Coutinho has done very well in 3 different leagues under 3 different managers. Coutinho was part of the reason Liverpool started to play better football so he should credit for it and not something that should be dismissed. He's quite clearly a better player than Kagawa.
Do you watch him? He's frequently shite. Incredibly wasteful. I'd also dispute your assessment of a player doing "very well."

Pogue Mahone

Coutinho has done very well in 3 different leagues under 3 different managers. Coutinho was part of the reason Liverpool started to play better football so he should get credit for it and not something that should be dismissed. He's quite clearly a better player than Kagawa.
He's been absolutely miles better than Kagawa in their respective PL careers to date.

Obviously playing for a better team but still. His individual contributions have trumped anything that Kagawa produced over the same period of time.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Do you watch him? He's frequently shite. Incredibly wasteful. I'd also dispute your assessment of a player doing "very well."
If Coutino's performances can be described as "frequently shite" then I wonder what your assessment of Kagawa is because his performances have been about 10 times worse and I am being generous when I say 10 times. What Countinho lacks is consistency but in terms of versatility, adaptation, creativity and ability to influence games he's well ahead of Kagawa.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's been absolutely miles better than Kagawa in their respective PL careers to date.

Obviously playing for a better team but still. His individual contributions have trumped anything that Kagawa produced over the same period of time.
He's better, full stop. And I said he would become a better player when Liverpool signed him and before Moyes had managed a game for us. Anyone who saw him at Espanyol or Inter could see his undoubted talent.

Worth pointing out that Coutinho made them a better team. It was the signing of him and Sturridge that turned around Liverpool.

Pogue Mahone

He's better, full stop. And I said he would become a better player when Liverpool signed him and before Moyes had managed a game for us. Anyone who saw him at Espanyol or Inter could see his undoubted talent.

Worth pointing out that Coutinho made them a better team. It was the signing of him and Sturridge that turned around Liverpool.
Don't watch much European football so he was an unknown quantity to me. Gutted to see how good he is, at such a young age too. Very annoying. On the plus side, he goes down as one of a relatively low number of good vs bad Rodgers signings.

Kag

If Coutino's performances can be described as "frequently shite" then I wonder what your assessment of Kagawa is because his performances have been about 10 times worse and I am being generous when I say 10 times. What Countinho lacks is consistency but in terms of versatility, adaptation, creativity and ability to influence games he's well ahead of Kagawa.
He has a tendency of giving the ball away, shooting unnecessarily and playing like a child, though he's still quite young. I wouldn't really say he's lit up the league, or produced anything of any particular excellence. He's played fairly similarly to Kagawa throughout his own first season at the club, and I struggle to see what he's produced that is "ten times better."

Inter sold him for pittance not long after sending him out on loan to Spain and the consensus around the time of his move was that he didn't do enough. He's currently struggling to get into an impressive Liverpool side and only shows flashes of class here and there. Kagawa, for myriad reasons too boring to going into, didn't do it at United, but I just can't agree with your assessment of these players.

In Rainbows

It was also Liverpool's style of football. Rodgers changed it up during the season when it was clear it wasn't working. He sped the attack when it was originally slower (tiki taka like), started to let players dribble more often, and let players run off the shoulder more often. Sturridge and Coutinho were huge parts of this.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He has a tendency of giving the ball away, shooting unnecessarily and playing like a child, though he's still quite young. I wouldn't really say he's lit up the league, or produced anything of any particular excellence. He's played fairly similarly to Kagawa throughout his own first season at the club, and I struggle to see what he's produced that is "ten times better."

Inter sold him for pittance not long after sending him out on loan to Spain and the consensus around the time of his move was that he didn't do enough. He's currently struggling to get into an impressive Liverpool side and only shows flashes of class here and there. Kagawa, for myriad reasons too boring to going into, didn't do it at United, but I just can't agree with your assessment of these players.
He's still a trifle inconsistent but most of his waywardness comes from actually trying things which is more than I can say for Kagawa who more often than not kpt it safe. He's been much better than Kagawa has been in the PL.

Go ask Inter fans and you will get a concensus. They didn't want Moratti to sell him. Oh and he was fantastic at Espanyol.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Kagawa was good in his first few and lost his way.

Herrera just suits the English game though the way he isn't just a good baller, he's snappy and has unreal workrate. Blind is like all good dutch Footballers, does well for any club and at any tournament.

Sorry for getting carried away myself about those 2, but you have to agree?

Kagawa clearly wasn't suited for England which is fine, it's not as though he offered nothing to us. Scored a hattrick once and a few other goals.
I do agree, I think both will be a success as it happens but its far to early to call them a success right now.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
They certainly do. Hope he puts a few past Arsenal this week :)

The top comment on that video:

I want to apologise on behalf of English football as an Englishman for Manchester destroying his career... The premier league isn't kind to intelligent but weak players like Ozil and Kagawa and don't understand how to best utilise such talent.
What the feck?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Let's just blame it all on Moyes and move on. Kagawa's injury in his first year really held him back. I don't know the numbers but Fergie seemed to play him quite a bit when he was fit and ready. Then Moyes came. Kagawa hardly played then finally got a chance and I felt was the best player on the pitch against Bayern. Then Kagawa dropped again.

Moyes' fault.

Gladiator

Here is what i expected. I saw him running with the ball more. I saw him as getting into holes between the opposition's defense and midfield and either distributing a last pass for a goal or moving and shooting by himself. I don't know why exactly this is my version of him but this is what i expected. For some reason he seemed too timid with us. That is why he didn't impress me.

For example ( i know, diff players and positions) - Rafael's pass between 2 QPR players for Herrera's run. This runs are what i thought Kagawa had to make on a regular basis, whether trough the middle or a little wider. Just a little toothless for us. That is my impression.
i will respond to this soon. stupid computer erased my previous response

Gladiator

Hate? I don't hate him at all.

I'm getting close to hating some of the fanbois in this thread but probably more or a mild irritation, if I'm honest.

I'm actually disappointed he didn't make the most of his time at United, as I enjoy watching him when he's playing well. I just find it baffling the variety and extent of excuses being made for a player who, quite simply, didn't cut it in the Premier league. He wasn't the first continental star to fail to make the transition and he won't be the last. I'm just glad we've replaced him with players who seem better able for the cut and thrust of PL football. Obviously, early days yet I'm far more optimistic about the likes of Blind and Herrera having a sustained positive impact at United than I ever was about Kagawa. Always seemed too lightweight and easily bullied. Don't think he had the cojones or physical strength to cope with the more lenient refereeing you get in England.

I hope he goes on to do well for Dortmund this season (especially now they have Arsenal in their group) and I'm pleased for him that he's evidently done so well in his first game back. Just wish there weren't so many United fans apparently going through some sort of grieving process for a player that will go down as nothing more than a minor footnote in the history of this club. He came. He saw. He didn't conquer. He went back from whence he came. Shit happens. Get over it.
only issue i have again is the physical aspect. just because he underwhelmed doesnt mean he wouldn thrive for another PL club

Gladiator

I think when you call a player mentally weak, that is a little over stepping the mark especially when it is unfounded. I'm not a Kagawa fanboy and I was of the opinion we would be better off getting a new pacey player in and him leaving once we signed Mata (which has happened) in Di Maria.

However to deny last season he got shafted by Moyes (especially at the start of the season) shows a lack of objectivity. He didn't take his chances no doubt though just a shame as I think he could have done well for us.
indeed it is at best speculation. imo, if a manager is asking a player to do something which isn't suited to their qualities, then high probability they are being "shafted" (i.e. what's going on with Ozil at Arsenal right now)

Was he 'shafted' by Van Gaal as well? He was the one who sold him after all.
i think in this case, we take van gaal at his words. let's assume he told kagawa he would be behind mata in terms of number 10 position. remember he said that he tried shinji in preseason in 6 and 8 role but didn seem satisfied with his work there and that they both agreed his best role would be number 10.

van gaal also said he never sells the players, but that they decide themselves whether they stay or go. they just have to deal with the consequences either way. therefore, with all that being said, it would seem to point to kagawa pushing for a move as he realizes he is not set for starting role under van gaal. makes more sense when you think about the fact we are already out of COC and not in CL. this is just my take though

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Kagawa was a bit rubbish for us but I'm not buying the Coutinho hype. Needs to add loads of consistency before being much better than Kagawa.

Gladiator

The top comment on that video:

What the feck?
here's my take on what you quoted. let me know what you think. there is a certain mentality in the EPL and maybe even prevalent through english football that you have to take your chances and if you dont, you're not good enough and thats the end of story. one could argue players like kagawa and ozil dont really fit into this paradigm. hence it's easy to come to the conclusion there were not good enough for english football for x,y,z when there actually may be going than we see. but because we have tendency to go along with our bias, you can see where this will go.

Gladiator

Kagawa was a bit rubbish for us but I'm not buying the Coutinho hype. Needs to add loads of consistency before being much better than Kagawa.
agreed. again think he's looked good because the system suits him more than him being some top class player. mind you, he's good but don't think he's that good (talking about coutinho of course) . im pretty confident kagawa will produce the goods at dortmund and if that situation occurs, the easy knee-jerk reaction is to talk about his time at united and get stuck in this circular discussion like we do with pogba. To me, what's more important is "what can we learn from this?" rather than just airing our recycled views.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Barely playing him and selling him at the first opportunity. As opposed to your own subjective opinion.
Why would he play him if he wants to sell him?

And in my original statement, I said that he needs to be sold because we have Rooney, Mata, and Januzaj that can play in his position. Just because a player is sold doesnt mean they're rubbish in the manager's eye

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
here's my take on what you quoted. let me know what you think. there is a certain mentality in the EPL and maybe even prevalent through english football that you have to take your chances and if you dont, you're not good enough and thats the end of story. one could argue players like kagawa and ozil dont really fit into this paradigm. hence it's easy to come to the conclusion there were not good enough for english football for x,y,z when there actually may be going than we see. but because we have tendency to go along with our bias, you can see where this will go.
He wasn't given a chance imo.

Why is he not given a chance is another debate, but if you put him on the wing and expect him to perform... well.. that's a half arsed chance. Some players are suited for many positions (e.g. ronaldo) but you can't expect every player to fit seamlessly into a position that requires a very different skill set. And to call him rubbish because he's not doing well while playing from the wing is not fair to him.

acnumber9

Why would he play him if he wants to sell him?

And in my original statement, I said that he needs to be sold because we have Rooney, Mata, and Januzaj that can play in his position. Just because a player is sold doesnt mean they're rubbish in the manager's eye
It doesn't make him rubbish but there is absolutely nothing to suggest he rated him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Coutinho better than Kagawa? Wow! What is this based on? On the last 18 months? If yes then Sturridge is also better than Rooney/RvP.

Kagawa is no world beater and needs the right system to play in, but so does Coutinho.

Kagawa was decent in his first season under Fergie so "too weak for the EPL" doesn't hold any truth. Even less to accuse him of "weak character"

Has the same poster accused Young, Valencia, Fellaini or Cleverley (even though I like him), most of whom got far far more chances than Kagawa and none was new to the EPL like Kagawa, of a weak character yet?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Coutinho better than Kagawa? Wow! What is this based on? On the last 18 months? If yes then Sturridge is also better than Rooney/RvP.

Kagawa is no world beater and needs the right system to play in, but so does Coutinho.

Kagawa was decent in his first season under Fergie so "too weak for the EPL" doesn't hold any truth. Even less to accuse him of "weak character"

Has the same poster accused Young, Valencia, Fellaini or Cleverley (even though I like him), most of whom got far far more chances than Kagawa and none was new to the EPL like Kagawa, of a weak character yet?
Because the notion that Kagawa is shit, or not good enough, or not taking his chance when he's given (not given) is easier to swallow than the other side of the coin

acnumber9

You should read the IMO at the start of the sentences
I did. Which made me wonder how you formed that opinion with no evidence to suggest it. It's also why I pointed out your subjective opinion. You should read the replies to your posts.

FromTheBench

Dortmund's high pressing high energy fluid attacking system suits Kagawa.

Bundesliga being less physical suits him as well as SAF said when he first arrived and was struggling centrally. His best performances last season for us weirdly came in CL while he struggled in the Prem.

No surprise if he didn't do as well here for those reasons plus he had better players to compete with in his preferred position and also got some injuries. And when he got his chances didn't take them either with that Real Madrid match being the real big one where he couldn't do a job on Alonso and had to be shifted out wide and then subbed to put Welbeck on Alonso.

Don't think he would be particularly thriving under LVG either frankly as he didn't under SAF or Moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.