Shinji Kagawa | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifter

American
Sounds about the amount they are looking for ,considering they paid in the end 18m Euros for Neuer.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
swap for Berba?
Not a bad shout! We are surely going to get rid, and they could certainly benefit from a player of Berba's experience in their young squad.

These types of deals hardly ever come off, but it would make a lot of sense for both parties in my opinion. May have to offer them a bit of cash, or maybe even Park on top, to get Kagawa.

Siorac

€20m wouldn't be unreasonable, it's roughly what we paid for Ashley Young.
Which was unreasonable for a player in the final year of his contract. It had the stupid English tax on it though.

That being said, I wouldn't mind spending that kind of money on Kagawa. If he's really as good as he looked like at Dortmund.

Devil may care

Which was unreasonable for a player in the final year of his contract. It had the stupid English tax on it though.

That being said, I wouldn't mind spending that kind of money on Kagawa. If he's really as good as he looked like at Dortmund.
It depends which side of the transfer you're sitting on though.

No it wouldn't, that is cheap by today's standards for a player of top quality.
Let's face it, if we are not prepared to pay £20m for a 23 yr old, who will surely have a huge commercial value in the Asian market, then we really are in trouble!
Exactly, Kagawa seems a player that would be a multi-purpose long term investment for United.

Commadus

Why the feck we ever paid £16m for Young I will never know. Any chance we can sell him to Tottenham? :D

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No it wouldn't, that is cheap by today's standards for a player of top quality.
Let's face it, if we are not prepared to pay £20m for a 23 yr old, who will surely have a huge commercial value in the Asian market, then we really are in trouble!
It's unreasonable. He wouldn't even be considered first choice here. feck spending all that money on him, there's no way we'll go for that.

Devil may care

It's unreasonable. He wouldn't even be considered first choice here. feck spending all that money on him, there's no way we'll go for that.
Rooney is the only true first choice forward we have, the rest compete to start, kagawa is more than capable of earning a starting place at United.

SATA

If Dortmund want to play hard ball, let's play it with them. They will lose him for nothing next summer if they can't agree our price and if Kagawa himself adamantly want to join us

MUFC07

If Dortmund want to play hard ball, let's play it with them. They will lose him for nothing next summer if they can't agree our price and if Kagawa himself adamantly want to join us
Or sell him to Arsenal, Heinze-to-Madrid-like.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Kagawa will not see out his contract at Dortmund so he can come here on a free next season.

Dortmund hold the aces here - they know they will be selling and with a fair few clubs interested, why shouldn't they hold out for a large fee?

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Chamakh was hardly coveted by a host of top clubs though.

He wants to leave this summer - it makes no sense for him to play another year in Germany and I'm sure Dortmund are keen to off load - at a price

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
All that money? £20m. That is feck all Pocco, we have just spent as much on Jones, and he isn't first choice. Kagawa is young, two footed, works like a trojan, creates goals, scores goals, and has great vision. He has spent the past 2 seasons starring for Dortmund as they won back to back titles.

What more could we reasonably expect for £20m?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Chamakh was hardly coveted by a host of top clubs though.

He wants to leave this summer - it makes no sense for him to play another year in Germany and I'm sure Dortmund are keen to off load - at a price
No doubt. But the player himself holds the aces here. I mentioned Chamakh as an example of someone being willing to stay put and run down his contract to get the move he wants. It's much more lucrative to the player to move on a free too. Dortmund can play hard ball if they want but it's a risky game.

Devil may care

No doubt. But the player himself holds the aces here. I mentioned Chamakh as an example of someone being willing to stay put and run down his contract to get the move he wants. It's much more lucrative to the player to move on a free too. Dortmund can play hard ball if they want but it's a risky game.
The thing with this situation is that I think there will be clubs willing to pay what Dortmund want, unless he is asbsolutely hell bent on United and the Prem then we could lose out if we quibble over price, Chamakh on the other hand was only wanted by Arsenal from amongst the top clubs, the only club in for him that met the price tag for him was Sunderland.

Stretch

I don't think 20m Euro is excessive. A fee around that area will be ball park in today's market.

But seemingly there's nothing new on this front as I'd hoped. Ah well to the Hazard thread...

I'm always right

I don't think 20m Euro is excessive. A fee around that area will be ball park in today's market.

But seemingly there's nothing new on this front as I'd hoped. Ah well to the Hazard thread...
You really shouldn't be paying 20m for players with just one year left on their contract. Especially players with zero Premier League experience.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
You really shouldn't be paying 20m for players with just one year left on their contract. Especially players with zero Premier League experience.
I agree with this. I thought we overspent on Young given his contract situation but that is the way the game is going these days. Carroll is 35 million, Torres 50 million, the whole "City effect" has completely turned the transfer market around.

I'm always right

I agree with this. I thought we overspent on Young given his contract situation but that is the way the game is going these days. Carroll is 35 million, Torres 50 million, the whole "City effect" has completely turned the transfer market around.
We paid probably 4m extra for Young but he came with the old "English player tax".

No-one should be paying more than 15m TOPS for Kagawa.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
We paid probably 4m extra for Young but he came with the old "English player tax".

No-one should be paying more than 15m TOPS for Kagawa.
Back in the day, before the transfer market went silly we probably could have picked up Young with a year left on his contract up for about 7 million. Not saying he isn't good but the fact he had only a year left meant we vastly overspent on him imo.

Stretch

Not in today's market. We can complain all we want but it's not like we've not contributed towards some of the insane fees players are going for. See Berbatov for example. We've paid premium when we've wanted a player. It's not just Citeh's fault though they've really allowed for some serious distortion.

Also, I said around about. If we paid say circa 15m-18m then I'd think we would have gotten a fair price.

Cina

English players are an entirely different ballgame when it comes to transfer fees. It's pointless to compare them to players coming in from other countries.

Stretch

Totally disagree.

Today's market for a much higher rated player:

Ozil was signed for in the region of 15m. We have no idea if there were add on clauses etc or what the exact amount is as it was undisclosed but rumored to be around 15m. So not sure what you are on about. Maybe you should read again on what I've said.

I'm always right

Ozil was signed for in the region of 15m. We have no idea if there were add on clauses etc or what the exact amount is as it was undisclosed but rumored to be around 15m. So not sure what you are on about. Maybe you should read again on what I've said.
15 million Euros mate.

So about £12.5m for a player higher rated than Kagawa.

So back to my point, no-one should pay more than 15m tops for this lad, and you really shouldn't be paying 20m for a player with one year remaining on his contract.

Bape

Totally disagree.

Today's market for a much higher rated player:

Yeah but then you are using like one of the bargains over the last 5 years as an example. You say Ozil, I say Carroll. We paid 16m for Young, you could argue Kagawa's not worth any less than him really.

I'm always right

Yeah but then you are using like one of the bargains over the last 5 years as an example. You say Ozil, I say Carroll. We paid 16m for Young, you could argue Kagawa's not worth any less than him really.

Carroll has nothing to do with this, he had years left on his contract.

Young does has something to do with this and I've argued that point already (which lends a hand from the mention of Carroll), you always pay an English player tax.

Özil is a prime example of the price you should be paying for a German league payer with one year remaining on his contract. Around £12-14m.

Khedira too btw.

The Neviller

I'm not really sure why football fans care what their club pays for a player. I don't care if he's signed for £12 million or £25 million. If the club are happy with the fee, he comes here and improves us then what does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.