Shinji Kagawa | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm not really sure why football fans care what their club pays for a player. I don't care if he's signed for £12 million or £25 million. If the club are happy with the fee, he comes here and improves us then what does it matter?
I'm the same.

That probably comes with never having played a football management simulation computer game.

I'm always right

I'm not really sure why football fans care what their club pays for a player. I don't care if he's signed for £12 million or £25 million. If the club are happy with the fee, he comes here and improves us then what does it matter?
Erm... more money saved for other targets?

Better economy for the club?

I have no idea why.

The Neviller

I have no idea why.
But you've said United shouldn't be spending more than £15million on Kagawa, €20million works out at about £16million. In the grand scheme of things, and in terms of a multi-million pound transfer fee, what does another £1million matter?

If United and Fergie want the player and feel £16million is an acceptable price then who cares? People say we overspent on Young. He came here at whatever his fee was and he's a good player, and the club felt he was worth the price paid. That's all that really matters.

Scrumpet

There are no words

I have no idea why.
You keep repeating that we shouldn't be paying over X amount for Kagawa because he is in the last year of his contract, but presumably you'd be happy enough if we were to pay a bit more for a player of similar quality so long as he had good few years left on his current contract.

The Neviller

I'm the same.

That probably comes with never having played a football management simulation computer game.
I've played Championship Manager and Football Manager before, and always looked for cheaper young players to develop and decent bargains, was never a transfer muppet, but I don't get people worrying about the price of players in the real world, other than the buying and selling clubs. For the average Joe it should mean shit all.

I'm always right

But you've said United shouldn't be spending more than £15million on Kagawa, €20million works out at about £16million. In the grand scheme of things, and in terms of a multi-million pound transfer fee, what does another £1million matter?

If United and Fergie want the player and feel £16million is an acceptable price then who cares? People say we overspent on Young. He came here at whatever his fee was and he's a good player, and the club felt he was worth the price paid. That's all that really matters.
I don't care about a few million here or there. I actually think Kagawa should be bought for around 13m. If we were to pay 16m it's no skin off my nose, were we to pay 20m or so I'd be a little disappointed in thinking that we've overpaid and hope it doesn't effect negotiations for other targets.

I'm always right

You keep repeating that we shouldn't be paying over X amount for Kagawa because he is in the last year of his contract, but presumably you'd be happy enough if we were to pay a bit more for a player of similar quality so long as he had good few years left on his current contract.
Yes, I prefer us to run a tight ship and not be screwed over like Liverpool were with Carroll and Henderson.

Bape

Carroll has nothing to do with this, he had years left on his contract.

Young does has something to do with this and I've argued that point already (which lends a hand from the mention of Carroll), you always pay an English player tax.

Özil is a prime example of the price you should be paying for a German league payer with one year remaining on his contract. Around £12-14m.

Khedira too btw.
Yes but we are known to overpay for tranfer fees, surely you know that by now?

The Neviller

I don't care about a few million here or there. I actually think Kagawa should be bought for around 13m. If we were to pay 16m it's no skin off my nose, were we to pay 20m or so I'd be a little disappointed in thinking that we've overpaid and hope it doesn't effect negotiations for other targets.
But it's not like going into a Service Station and being unhappy because the cigarettes there are 60p a pack more expensive than in Tesco's. Football players generally don't have an RRP price, or a barcode for that matter. The price is set by the negotiations conducted by the buying and selling club, and whether one party is willing to pay what the other is willing to sell for, factoring in interest/bids from other parties.

Too many fans see buying footballers as akin to purchasing products from a retailer. The price of a footballer is decided by the market, a market might I add, that not one of us shop in.

I'm always right

Yes but we are known to overpay for tranfer fees, surely you know that by now?
That isn't my point. As I said, I couldn't really give a shit if United throw £17m at it. It's just my opinion that a club would be silly to pay much more than what Madrid paid for Özil.

I'm always right

But it's not like going into a Service Station and being unhappy because the cigarettes there are 60p a pack more expensive than in Tesco's. Football players generally don't have an RRP price, or a barcode for that matter. The price is set by the negotiations conducted by the buying and selling club, and whether one party is willing to pay what the other is willing to sell for, factoring in interest/bids from other parties.

Too many fans see buying footballers as akin to purchasing products from a retailer. The price of a footballer is decided by the market, a market might I add, that not one of us shop in.
Obviously.

But it's also my personal opinion that paying much more (say 5m) than Madrid paid for Özil would be silly. Personal opinion only Neviller.

The Neviller

That isn't my point. As I said, I couldn't really give a shit if United throw £17m at it. It's just my opinion that a club would be silly to pay much more than what Madrid paid for Özil.
But maybe they want Kagawa more than they would have wanted Ozil.

This is another thing, comparison of players and their fee's and the talk of value. Now, if Ozil was a clone and we were wanting to buy the other Ozil, who is exactly the same as Real Madrid's Ozil in every way then I'd agree, if one cost £12million then so should the other one, but we're not talking about buying Ozil, we're talking about buying Kagawa. How much an Ozil cost means nothing when you're buying a Kagawa.

I'm always right

But maybe they want Kagawa more than they would have wanted Ozil.

This is another thing, comparison of players and their fee's and the talk of value. Now, if Ozil was a clone and we were wanting to buy the other Ozil, who is exactly the same as Real Madrid's Ozil in every way then I'd agree, if one cost £12million then so should the other one, but we're not talking about buying Ozil, we're talking about buying Kagawa. How much an Ozil cost means nothing when you're buying a Kagawa.
It's just my opinion for God's sake, what's wrong with you?

Imo Liverpool were absolute idiots for paying what they did for Andy Carroll, but as you say, they wanted him bad, and that's fine. But my opinion still stands, they were idiots.

The Neviller

Obviously.

But it's also my personal opinion that paying much more (say 5m) than Madrid paid for Özil would be silly. Personal opinion only Neviller.
I know it's personal opinion, and you're entitled to one. I'm just giving mine by saying I don't understand why football fans worry about these things.

And you can't even compare other players because first of all, they aren't the same, and secondly the circumstances could be very different. Ozil may well have wanted to go nowhere other than Madrid, so the selling club may have been faced with the choice of accepting Madrid's offer or losing him for nothing. In Kagawa's case there could be more than one club interested, and he may well not be as adamant on only going to one destination meaning the selling club can hold out for the better offer.

I'm always right

I know it's personal opinion, and you're entitled to one. I'm just giving mine by saying I don't understand why football fans worry about these things.

And you can't even compare other players because first of all, they aren't the same, and secondly the circumstances could be very different. Ozil may well have wanted to go nowhere other than Madrid, so the selling club may have been faced with the choice of accepting Madrid's offer or losing him for nothing. In Kagawa's case there could be more than one club interested, and he may well not be as adamant on only going to one destination meaning the selling club can hold out for the better offer.
Yes, once again I KNOW, you aren't coming out with anything groundbreaking... but I'm just giving my opinion.

Leave it.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
End of the day the club will pay what they believe he is worth that will also allow us to chase our other targets. We are a business and as such will be frugal with what we spend and will base it on how valuable to our club he will be. I'm sure the club has a definite upper limit on all transfer targets, anything less is a bonus

I'm always right

But he's only countering your personal opinion with his own. It's not an attack on you as much as pointing out why he thinks differently.
No, he's trying to enter into a debate.

And he's adding nothing groundbreaking, I get his point as I've said, it's obvious stuff so you'd have to be simple not to. But I have no idea why he keeps trying to hammer it home, I'm not debating his point, I'm just giving a simple opinion on a players value.

All of us laugh at what Liverpool paid for Carroll right? All of us think they were silly? Obviously we also know that they paid what they had to for a player they wanted, doesn't stop us laughing at them though does it?

The Neviller

Then stop trying to get into some bizarre argument about my opinion of what would be a good price for a player, as I've said plenty of time, it's simply my personal opinion in the same way I think Liverpool were idiots for paying that money for Andy Carroll.
I'm not arguing. feck me you're sensitive.

You do know the point of posting on a forum is that your opinions are public, and other people posting on the same forum may or may not agree with you, and may voice their opinion, either in support or not of your own, on a public forum, that you may or may not decide to agree or disagree with?

I'm always right

I'm not arguing. feck me you're sensitive.

You do know the point of posting on a forum is that your opinions are public, and other people posting on the same forum may or may not agree with you, and may voice their opinion, either in support or not of your own, on a public forum, that you may or may not decide to agree or disagree with?
I don't understand why you keep debating it to be honest, that's all.

Answer me this:

Were Liverpool stupid to pay the fee they paid for Andy Carroll in your opinion?

Mainoldo

£17m is abit steep considering he's got 1 year left. Might have to consider our options..:yawn:

Ace

Any updates on him? Seems Eden has stole the limelight for the time being.

The Neviller

Since somehow debate and discussion isn't acceptable on the Caf as far as certain people are concerned can I have it hereby known that everything Guybrush Threepwood says I agree with, whether I agree or not.

Jesus.

The Neviller

I don't understand why you keep debating it to be honest, that's all.

Answer me this:

Were Liverpool stupid to pay the fee they paid for Andy Carroll in your opinion?
Aye, probably, because he's a bit shit.

If he'd scored 30 goals last year then no, they wouldn't have been.

If Kagawa comes here for £20million and plays well, scores goals, lots of assists and generally looks the part will your valuation of him still be right, or will United's? You can say in hindsight whether a signing is value or not, you can't before it happens.

When United signed Valencia did it look like a lot of money for someone playing for Wigan who hadn't exactly set the premier league alight with goals scored and assists etc? Does his signing look good business now?

Dion

The problem isn't people voicing their opinion, it'd them voicing their opinion in response to someone they disagree with and expecting that alone to change the other persons mind.

I'm always right

Aye, probably, because he's a bit shit.
And you no doubt thought that as soon as they paid it right, disregarding hindsight?

Which is my point exactly, you and 99% of us thought they were silly, and I think paying more than 15 million pounds for Kagawa now would be silly.

All of your other opinions I totally agree with, price is dictated by many other things, I'm sure Liverpool wanted Carroll for 15m quid but they paid what they had to. Once again to make it clear, I understand all this and completely agree with you.

The Neviller

The problem isn't people voicing their opinion, it'd them voicing their opinion in response to someone they disagree with and expecting that alone to change the other persons mind.
I'm not trying to make anyone change their mind, I read a post and disagreed as I don't understand why football fans care about fees. Since this is a discussion forum I felt I'd put my point across.

Dion

I'm not trying to make anyone change their mind, I read a post and disagreed as I don't understand why football fans care about fees. Since this is a discussion forum I felt I'd put my point across.
And nothing you posted changed his mind you kept on saying "you can't do this" "you can't do that" etc. and keep applying the same principle when it's clear he disagrees with it so you using that principle to judge his opinion repeatedly is pointless.

You don't understand why people care about transfer fees and don't think you can judge them from the outside. He thinks he can make a judgement on the players worth based on other transactions. You disagree, fair enough, but you're in no position to use your beliefs to tell him he "can't even compare other players".

The Neviller

And you no doubt thought that as soon as they paid it right, disregarding hindsight?

Which is my point exactly, you and 99% of us thought they were silly, and I think paying more than 15 million pounds for Kagawa now would be silly.

All of your other opinions I totally agree with, price is dictated by many other things, I'm sure Liverpool wanted Carroll for 15m quid but they paid what they had to. Once again to make it clear, I understand all this and completely agree with you.
Fair enough, as I said, I don't really care what fees united spend on players, and don't really understand why football fans get hung up on whether a player is worth this or that.

Sure, it's great to be able to take the piss out of Liverpool for spunking a huge fee on a donkey, but I'd laugh at Liverpool signing a donkey if they spent £15million on him as much as I would them spending £35million. It's the fact that he's a donkey that I find funny, the fee is secondary.

I'm not trying to make you change your mind, nor am I arguing with you, you're entitled to your opinion, I just don't understand why fans care about fees as it's something that's never bothered me.

As I said, £12million or £16million for Kagawa, I don't really care. If he comes here and plays well and improves on what we currently have in our squad then the price, I couldn't care less about.

I'm always right

And nothing you posted changed his mind you kept on saying "you can't do this" "you can't do that" etc. and keep applying the same principle when it's clear he disagrees with it so you using that principle to judge his opinion repeatedly is pointless.

You don't understand why people care about transfer fees and don't think you can judge them from the outside. He thinks he can make a judgement on the players worth based on other transactions. You disagree, fair enough.
Yeah I think you summed that up rather well Dion.

The Neviller

You don't understand why people care about transfer fees and don't think you can judge them from the outside. He thinks he can make a judgement on the players worth based on other transactions. You disagree, fair enough, but you're in no position to use your beliefs to tell him he "can't even compare other players".
Thanks for your input.

And you reckon what I was saying was pointless.

And as for comparing transfer fee's of two entirely different, unrelated players, signed from two different clubs to potentially two other different clubs, under different circumstances, then no, I don't think you can compare them.

Status
Not open for further replies.