Should artifacts be returned to former colonies?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
My mother refused to pay the (for us) steep entrance fee to see the Kohinoor in London. I was pissed off at that time but she was 100% right. The same royal family which stole the diamond, was now charging us to see it, having imprisoned most of my mother's older relatives and given them lifelong health problems.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I don't buy into such polls. They're not fair. How many of them truly know what happened? It also depends on how the question was framed.

"The sun would never set on the British empire. Does it make you proud?" vs "The British sold fake whitening soaps to local Indians to boos their failing industry, does it make you proud?"
Here are some specific questions:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't buy into such polls. They're not fair. How many of them truly know what happened? It also depends on how the question was framed.

"The sun would never set on the British empire. Does it make you proud?" vs "The British sold fake whitening soaps to local Indians to boos their failing industry, does it make you proud?"
Well that's the point. If we're educating people the motivation shouldn't be to point out how we perhaps weren't as bad as some other imperial powers - the focus should be on the atrocities committed because plenty of people evidently are unaware.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

It’s a fair point. I’d agree the average person doesn’t associate empire with brutality, whether that’s because they just aren’t aware or because any knowledge they do have is from a European perspective. History is written by the victors after all.

It’s getting better though, there’s been a massive shift in the historiography of how empire is studied, and it’s often now studied from the view of the colonised rather that the colonisers, certainly where Africa is concerned at least.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Depends. These artifacts have historical value and their protection must be the number one concern with ownership coming only after.

If the previous colony now has a stable civil government and proper facilities to take care of the artifacts, they should be. If they do not, they are better off in whichever museum they are currently in.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Depends. These artifacts have historical value and their protection must be the number one concerns with ownership coming only after.

If the previous colony now has a stable civil government and proper facilities to take care of the artifacts, they should be. If they do not, they are better off in whichever museum they are currently in.
Sounds fair.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Lighten up mate. Why the angst? I will admit I was wrong but there is no need to be rude about it.

I will come from a different angle then. If a work of art that is in situate in a building in Bath say is deteriorating and is removed to be restored and kept in a different building in England to make sure it's preserved then that is ok. I would rather it be where it was first meant to be but as long as it is kept inside the country of origin then that is acceptable.

If the UK had been occupied by Germany in the second world war and they had taken the art to Germany to be restored and kept in a condition that allowed it to be observed and maintained I would hope and expect it would be returned to the UK after the war was over.
Sorry, got carried away with the discussion.

Don't have anything against your points here, my main issue was with the perception of art today, which your post highlighted. People act like the artists only began selling their works recently (and that it somehow undermines their work's value) and before that the art was something different, purer and more important, while in reality the likes of Da Vinci or Praxiteles (you can put any name from any era here) cared as much about the art as they did about the money that they've earned making it. And timeless works of unmatched religious, historical and cultural importance, like Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel, required equally impressive fees. According to the researchers, Michelangelo's estate was worth 50,000 florins - about £35 million in today's money.

If there's stuff that was genuinely stolen from us that we want back then, yeah, sure, nothing wrong with asking for it.
I was being facetious. Of course we wont ask for it, its part of history and we moved on.

Probably just feels like that from your vantage point. I'd imagine, as a Brit, who goes on British websites and english-language forums such as this, you're undoubtedly going to see more discussion about Britain and British issues. That doesn't mean simila discussions aren't going on in other countries, it's just that you've not been exposed to them. You have a small data sample essentially.
I'm now on my 6th country of living/working. I've yet to come across anywhere that tries to be ashamed of its history the way the UK does.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I was being facetious. Of course we wont ask for it, its part of history and we moved on.

I'm now on my 6th country of living/working. I've yet to come across anywhere that tries to be ashamed of its history the way the UK does.
I presume you've not been to Germany?:lol:

freeurmind

weak willed
Depends. These artifacts have historical value and their protection must be the number one concern with ownership coming only after.

No it doesn't depend. These "artifacts" (which in many cases include actual human remains), belong to the people from where they came from. So who decides if the actual home of these art works is "safe" or "stable" enough for them to be returned? Because things never get stolen or destroyed in Western museums? The level of arrogance and snobbery is off the charts here.

Fully Fledged

Sorry, got carried away with the discussion.

Don't have anything against your points here, my main issue was with the perception of art today, which your post highlighted. People act like the artists only began selling their works recently (and that it somehow undermines their work's value) and before that the art was something different, purer and more important, while in reality the likes of Da Vinci or Praxiteles (you can put any name from any era here) cared as much about the art as they did about the money that they've earned making it. And timeless works of unmatched religious, historical and cultural importance, like Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel, required equally impressive fees. According to the researchers, Michelangelo's estate was worth 50,000 florins - about £35 million in today's money.
No problem and I agree with what you are saying. My main problem and the point of the thread is countries taking antiquities from a country that they occupied and several decades latter refuse to repatriate the artefact because it was taken in a different time.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Why would it be unsafe in the country in which it belongs?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
i don't think we should be forced to apologise for, and make attempts to undo, what people none of us ever knew did hundreds of years ago.
I think first and foremost the most important thing with regards to the legacy of empire is truth and honest recognition of what happened, what the motivations were, and how we've all been impacted by it. Understanding these things needn't produce a black-and-white picture of Empire - indeed, if the picture that emerges is to be in any way a reliable guide to the past, it will be dominated by grey. But it can't minimize the costs, the violence, the exploitation, the racism, etc. or explain them away with whataboutism. The problem is that there is still quite a bit of denial and/or relativism spouted when it comes to these matters.

2cents

Scout
Why would it be unsafe in the country in which it belongs?
I think some may have the recent example of Palmyra and Nineveh in mind, where ISIS went on a rampage destroying ancient antiquities. Or the Taliban destroying the Bamiyan Buddhas.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Sorry, what?

The number one concern should be that the item is with the people who rightfully own it. The problems thereafter can be managed from this.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So should we be knocking on Denmark and Sweden's door and asking for everything they stole from us back, too? What about the Italians? You could spend all day compiling lists of what was stolen from who, but it only ever seems to be the British anyone cares about. On this forum in particular everything seems to come back to how terrible we were. The East India Company probably even appointed Mourinho.
:lol:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think some may have the recent example of Palmyra and Nineveh in mind, where ISIS went on a rampage destroying ancient antiquities. Or the Taliban destroying the Bamiyan Buddhas.
Point taken, but that's a pretty extreme example - surely? Both are terrorist organisations with political motives in mind.

2cents

Scout
Point taken, but that's a pretty extreme example - surely? Both are terrorist organisations with political motives in mind.
Well I think the motives in each case were probably more religious - not they they see much of a distinction between religion and politics. But yeah, they're obviously extreme examples. I can't really think of any other recent cases where groups have explicitly gone out to obliterate their own heritage - perhaps China during the Cultural Revolution or Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge? I don't really know much about them.

There was stuff like the looting of the Baghdad museum in 2003 due to the lack of security in the aftermath of the American invasion, but that was purely opportunistic. And there are always cases where sites and antiquities get destroyed or moved to make way for development, e.g. the case of Hasankeyf in south-east Turkey. The case of Abu Simbel in Upper Egypt is quite interesting actually - they did an amazing job moving and preserving the statues and the entire site really to make way for the Aswan Dam - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Simbel_temples#Relocation

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'm not talking about the contemporary art and not so much about the XX century, although that's where it begins — problems with provenance are very common (2 World Wars don't exactly help) for the works from the first decades of the XXth. But my point was about earlier centuries — XIXth and before, because it was a norm, for example to take the best art from the conquered nation, even from the museums; and that's a well documented and known collections, imagine what happened with personal ones, which ceased to exists with their owner's untimely demise — only for the works to appear a few decades later in a different country. That's something that I know from experience of working in that field.

So it's not only a local problem with, say, British Empire, stealing historical from their colonies. It's something that went on for centuries all over the world.

Take a look at the recent scandal at Ghent museum. It's a little different problem, I wasn't even going to mention forgeries, but still, there is a collection full of them (and, obviously, those works don't have credible paper trail — because they are, well, fake) and a huge museum in a law-abiding country does a whole exhibition on them. This example, by chance, got public, usually they don't.
I don't want to go too far on a tangent but I saw that Orson Welles movie F for Fake from 1973 and I always wondered how many paintings really are fakes in museum and private collections? If I remember that Elmyr claimed to have sold forgeries to museums.

Classical Mechanic

Well I think the motives in each case were probably more religious - not they they see much of a distinction between religion and politics. But yeah, they're obviously extreme examples. I can't really think of any other recent cases where groups have explicitly gone out to obliterate their own heritage - perhaps China during the Cultural Revolution or Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge? I don't really know much about them.

There was stuff like the looting of the Baghdad museum in 2003 due to the lack of security in the aftermath of the American invasion, but that was purely opportunistic. And there are always cases where sites and antiquities get destroyed or moved to make way for development, e.g. the case of Hasankeyf in south-east Turkey. The case of Abu Simbel in Upper Egypt is quite interesting actually - they did an amazing job moving and preserving the statues and the entire site really to make way for the Aswan Dam - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Simbel_temples#Relocation
There was also a massive fire at Brazil's oldest museum recently that destroyed thousands of priceless relics. The museum was poorly maintained.

Classical Mechanic

villain

Hates Beyoncé

All of which are valid, but of course quite rare occurrences - which is why i'm confused why the safety of these artefacts would be a point of concern when discussing returning them.
If anything I would argue that returning items which were stolen would be cause for celebration in the country of origin - and can be used as a pivotal moment in history to help preserve culture and boost tourism, as well as improve the facilities which they are stored in.

Plus if the threat is so great, then replicas can be placed in a museum with the originals being stored safely elsewhere.

2cents

Scout
All of which are valid, but of course quite rare occurrences - which is why i'm confused why the safety of these artefacts would be a point of concern when discussing returning them.
If anything I would argue that returning items which were stolen would be cause for celebration in the country of origin - and can be used as a pivotal moment in history to help preserve culture and boost tourism, as well as improve the facilities which they are stored in.

Plus if the threat is so great, then replicas can be placed in a museum with the originals being stored safely elsewhere.
Sorry, I don't disagree, just thinking out loud really.

On your last suggestion, it seems that in Nineveh ISIS actually ended up destroying a load of replicas, thinking they were originals.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This is an incredibly short-sighted view, and I don't think anyone is singling out the British Empire, but this particular incident does involve the British Empire indirectly, so it's going to be discussed.
You realise a lot of countries were still under British rule 60 years ago? I have great-family members who were directly impacted by British rule including loss of land, riches & being forced into war. There are millions who are directly affected to this day, no apologies are needed but equally some accountability should be taken.
This.

My grandfather was jailed for around a decade and tortured for participating in the freedom movement.

decorativeed

Here are some specific questions:
Stuff like this confuses me. How can people take pride in something in which they took no part, regardless of whether it was a good or bad thing in retrospect? It's like being asked whether I'm proud to be British - I have no feelings either way, as I just happened to be born here, I can't take pride, credit or blame for anything that's pretty much circumstancial.

RedTiger

Half mast
Stuff like this confuses me. How can people take pride in something in which they took no part, regardless of whether it was a good or bad thing in retrospect? It's like being asked whether I'm proud to be British - I have no feelings either way, as I just happened to be born here, I can't take pride, credit or blame for anything that's pretty much circumstancial.
Agree with you 100% mate.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Being Nigerian, I have a dim view of imperialism, obviously. But is not uncommon for nationals of former empires to be proud their imperialist past. Look at Turks for example or Russians.
A lot of it is driven by ignorance. My great great grandfather was forced to fight in British wars.
As for the artifacts, they should be given back. But I think there should be an international body that guarantees their safety or maybe treaties would suffice. I wouldn't trust our government not to sell it to some corrupt politician or it being displayed in some corrupt crook's home.
It's a shame really. I've been to the BM and the national history musenm in Lagos/Abuja. Our most important artifacts by some distance are in London. I think that's wrong. A trip to see them would cost the average Nigerian two years wages.

decorativeed

Maybe it's just being the former head of what was, until relatively recently, the world's largest empire then? The Empire took advantage of huge swathes of the world and today's generations feel less comfortable about that fact.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Sorry, I don't disagree, just thinking out loud really.

On your last suggestion, it seems that in Nineveh ISIS actually ended up destroying a load of replicas, thinking they were originals.
Yeah I was speaking quite generally tbh :)

This.

My grandfather was jailed for around a decade and tortured for participating in the freedom movement.
Yep my grandfather had his land destroyed & gold stolen forcing my dad's side into instant poverty, other great uncles & aunts have their own stories too.
The effects aren't 100's of years old at all.

Being objective, I quite like @villain 's idea of replacing everything with a replica - but I'm struggling to see where all the safe places for storage might be.
Presumably it would be on a case-by-case basis - but most can be preserved in a vault especially given their age.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I built a lot of the storage for the British Museum a few years back, feck me they have way more than you'd ever think.
Yep, all museums will. It's because a lot of what is found at archaeological sites commercially just isn't of much value to an exhibition but is archived by law and therefore needs to be stored at a museum never to be seen by anyone again.

I would tend to agree with you but to play devils advocated maybe it is because the effects of the empire are still present today? A lot of the commodities and our ingrained culture is because of the empire. It's also why I myself feel guilt in part for that, as I have benefited from colonialism in a number of ways.

Another thing that hasn't really been mentioned is the fetishism of indigenous artefacts and archaeology which is disconnected by many in the western world from the indigenous people, past and present.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't want to go too far on a tangent but I saw that Orson Welles movie F for Fake from 1973 and I always wondered how many paintings really are fakes in museum and private collections? If I remember that Elmyr claimed to have sold forgeries to museums.
It's quite tough to fool an expert, I'd even say that it's almost impossible. The problem is, if it's not a Picasso or Matisse, there won't be many experts that specialise on this particular artist, and no one wants to send a painting abroad just to check it's legitimacy (or pay a huge sum for an expert to fly in). Auction houses usually hire authenticity experts beforehand, but there are many cases when they were not ready to spend a huge amount on a real expert and went with a cheaper option.

It's almost impossible to pass chemical and physical tests that not only tell you the age of this painting but also, for example, the specific chemical formula of paint that the artist used at that period, but those tests are ridiculously expensive and they're never done unless there is a huge doubt over a very expensive piece's authenticity. Most of the fakes are easily spotted by a trained eye — it'll either be a random compilation of images from other works or a painting of a lesser-known artist from that same school/period with a little editing.

So it's all is about your resources. You won't find many fakes if you go through the best and the biggest museums that don't have problems with financing and employ the most competent personnel. But, obviously, the risk grows as the institution gets smaller. There is also a risk with international exhibitions — something that Ghent got caught in. They exhibited a private collection of Russian avant-garde artists and there were obviously no experts in Belgium on the matter. So, instead of going to the real experts, they decided to ignore the issue and the questions that were raised about the collection owner's credibility earlier. I suspect that the director was in on this though, and it was a corruption rather than an incompetence.

Most of the fakes go to private collections. Collectors are often more enthusiasts than experts themselves and there are tons of questionable influences around them that can offer you ill advises. Plus they don't often know who is the best expert on the particular artists, so they go to the first one, who may not be familiar with all the details needed for a thorough check. I know a lot of stories when the experts told the owner that their piece is fake and they did nothing about it — because that will only hurt them, so they kept pretending that they have an original piece.